Country Bride and Gent Reviews

Country Bride and Gent 5

Bethany · Married on 09/05/2009

3.2
      3.0

I got the bridesmaids dresses through this bridal shop. They were generally very nice, although my maid of honor got pregnant after we had already ordered her dress. The ladies in the shop were not particularly accommodating and after telling us the dress would be done on a specific day, called back and said it would not be ready. In the end, everything worked out and the dress was ready when they had originally said it would be ready. But all the drama occurred 3 days before my wedding, so I was a little annoyed.

After the whole ordeal was over, we found out that the owners had been out of town. They apologized for the ordeal.

Sent on 09/25/2009

Stephanie · Married on 09/15/2018

3.0

This was my second stop in dress shopping and it sent me right back to the first place after a disappointing appointment. I chose this shop because they have a selection of plus size dresses and it's close to home. The dresses were fine and I did see some unique styles that I hadn't seen at the first shop. The nail on the coffin for us was my "sales" lady. She was very nice, but super quiet and wasn't helpful aside from getting me in and out of dresses that other people chose. As a customer, wedding dress shopping was this weirdly intimate experience where there's an expectation of some guidance towards dress styles because the salesperson knows the inventory better than I do. This really didn't happen at all.

Sent on 09/25/2018
  • Grace

Grace · Married on 06/18/2016

1.0

I was disappointed with my experience at Country Bride. They do have a very large dress selection to choose from. When I arrived for our appointment with four of my bridesmaids, the store was small and overcrowded. Despite having an appointment, we were left on our own to sort through so many dresses without much help because the consultants were busy helping others. More than one of my girls were made to feel pretty uncomfortable while being fitted when the consultant measuring them made comments about their size. Two of the girls were measured incorrectly. One of the girls left and got fitted at another store for completely different measurements. The dresses did arrive in a timely fashion and they looked beautiful on the wedding day.

Sent on 02/13/2017

Shannon · Married on 12/31/2014

3.0

I loved my dress from Country Bride, they had a great selection! I was not a fan of the quality of service for everything that followed. I decided to do my alterations in house which I do not recommend! They are very pricey for very simple alterations...And just as pricey for the complicated ones! I was rushed through every fitting appointment that I had, made to feel like I did not matter. They refused to order the dress in the size that I wanted, and the dress ended up having to be taken in several inches, something that wouldn't of had to be done had they ordered the size I wanted. They didn't put enough loops on for my bustle, so it didn't hold for my reception, I ended up having to hold my dress all night. So while I recommend Country bride for their selection, I would highly suggest you find someone else to do your alterations!!!

Sent on 01/19/2015

Kate · Married on 05/02/2014

1.0

I loved my dress but they never told me to sit down & they never measured me. The sample dress fit me perfectly so the sales lady Collette told me "I'm ordering this sample size because it fit you like a glove & its perfect on you". Needless to say, my dress needed to be taken out (a lot).

Sent on 05/13/2014

2.6
      2.0

Good dresses at reasonable prices but the cost of alterations is outrageous. And, the service just isn't what it should be in terms of feeling like you're more than a number at the store. Not to mention, I would come back for a fitting and something I requested was forgotten each time. One alteration (adding loops to hold in my bra), took until the fourth fitting for them to finally remember. On my last fitting, they moved the hook and eye in too close and said they would readjust before I picked up my dress. They didn't. It broke as soon as I put on my dress and someone had to sew the area above the zipper together. For the last two fittings, I kept stressing that my dress seemed too long and they kept saying I didn't bring the same shoes (I did), and then they promised it would be fine once it was pressed. My dress was stepped on before I even made it out of the hotel and it ripped. Having to be sewn again at the bottom. I also have a small chest and kept saying the dress was slipping and that I could see down it. They literally told me there was nothing more they could do. Really? It's my wedding dress. Flashing my guests should never be a possibility. So, the straps I had designed for the reception had to be worn the entire time so I could stay in my dress. Not how I had imagined my wedding dress so I have decided to sell it because it was the one thing that was negative about my wonderful wedding day and was a nightmare throughout the whole process.

Sent on 09/29/2013

mary · Married on 09/19/2009

2.6
      2.5

The selection of designers, styles at this shop was great. The service was ok...we didn't have any real problems. The only real issue I had with them was that there always seemed to be confusion on their end whenever I called about updates or scheduling apts. By confusion I mean not having everything under the same name...and the staff wasn't all that friendly, not mean or anything, just so so. They also put the wrong type of bustle on my mom's dress...which she specifically made clear what she wanted when there for her final fitting/alterations.

Sent on 10/07/2009

elizabeth · Married on 06/29/2013

2.4
      2.0

My experience at Country Bride was not the best, but I absolutely loved my dress. I bought both my dress and my bridesmaid dresses there. I did not have very good consultants when I was there. They picked dresses that I wasn't interested in trying on and were not helpful when I was trying to find my bridesmaid dresses. I live out of state and had to make arrangements to get my dress fitted when it came in. I was told multiple dates that it would ready and it wasn't. I had an issue with the construction of my dress which was not "fixable" a few days before my wedding. The manager was nice and told me I could pick another dress in the store, but we were able to add beading to part of the dress with the problem so we could hide it. In the end, I have mixed feelings. I love my dress and my bridesmaids dresses, but the below average customer service added to the wedding stress.

Sent on 10/24/2013

2.2
      2.5

Tried a few gowns on before I went into this store with my mom. They were so helpful when we first walked in, without an appointment, and very attentive. We found a beautiful dress for a very reasonable price. After our first pleasant experience, things went downhill. This business seems to be run by all women that have worked there their whole lives. They are not flexible. They are not willing to make decisions, and always have to ask so-and-so. We bought my gown and a mother-of-the-bride dress and even a last minute off the rack (impulse buy) dress to change into, but they could not strike a deal at all.

If you come from out of state, DO NOT buy anything from here. Their seamstress only works on Wednesdays. They can never get appointments correct. They apparently only have two people in this entire store that know how to demonstrate the bustles, and they work limited hours. The dresses are beautiful & a pretty decent price, but I would not recommend this place to anyone because I had such a terrible experience with scheduling.

Sent on 10/16/2012

2.2
      2.0

We had purchased my daughter Lisa's wedding gown from Country Bride, it was a Mori Lee gown. The gown was beautiful and actually the store and sales associates were quite good. My complaint was with the seamstress that did the alterations for my daughter, she had to work on the hem to shorten the gown and she did a traditional bustle. The dress ended up being a bit long causing Lisa to trip and get caught up with the hem quite a few times and about 2 hours into the reception the sewing that was to hold up the bustle came totally undone. Fortunately Lisa was determined that this would not ruin her night. I am now just seeing pictures of the bride and groom at the cake cutting, dancing, socializing and posing for pictures. In all of these shots Lisa has her dress draped over her arm and in full body pictures instead of seeing a beautiful bustle you see the slip/crinoline that is under the dress. I only have one daughter but if I had others I would not go back to this shop and I would not recommend them to others.

Unhappy Mother of the Bride

Sent on 09/20/2012

Nicole · Married on 05/09/2008

1.8
      1.5

Did not have much luck the dresses we are beautiful and people there friendly that is until you pay for everything. I had a lot of problems with the alterations they messed up my dress and some minor flaws on the girls dresses.

Sent on 05/21/2008

c · Married on 08/21/2010

1.6
      2.0

Buying my dress from country bride was my biggest mistake in the wedding planning process. I first went there because they were one of the few places in my area with the specific dress I was looking for and the first appointment went great. When I went back to buy the dress, the wait was long and when I called the check on the order they ignored my calls for weeks. The dress itself was reasonably priced, but alterations cost a fortune (about 2/3 the cost of the dress) and each of my fittings ended up being time consuming and stressful. They were the only people I encountered during wedding planning that were not nice and not responsive. At the end of the day the dress fit and looked beautiful, but if I had to do it again I'd go somewhere else.

Sent on 10/17/2010
  • Laura

Laura · Married on 11/03/2012

1.4
      1.0

I am so disappointed with the service my bridesmaids received. I had the girls purchase their dresses here (thank god I didnt get my dress here). 3 out of my 4 girl's dresses don't fit- they were told to order the wrong sizes. 1 or 2 girl's dresses not fitting is coinsidence but this is obviously the store clerks error. My sister is a size 6 in regular clothes, she was told to order a size 6 formal dress. She ordered an 8 against their advice to be safe and the thing still doesnt fit! She never ordered a formal dress before so she wouldn't know the rule of thumb is 2 sizes larger than street size. Same problem with the other girls. When I asked the seamstress what she suggests to alter the dress she suggested they lose weight. None of my girls need to lose weight and even if they did that is not the response I want to hear! I really wish I got their dresses from one of the other dozen stores in the area- I feel so bad that they have to go through this especially since the dress was not one of the cheaper ones. Absolutely unprofessional and incompetent business.

Sent on 10/19/2012

Karyn · Married on 08/03/2007

1.4
      1.0

Not a very organized retailer. My dress was priced well, and gorgeous, but that's where my good experience went south. It seemed that everything that could go wrong DID go wrong, and the people working there didn't really seem to care too much. The order for my bridesmaids dresses wasn't submitted due to an oversight (dresses arrived only weeks before the wedding); the invitation order was sent with the wrong date on the reply card (the date they had printed had already passed); the invitations were delivered to me over 6 weeks past the promised date, which means I sent them out only 1 month prior to the wedding; phone calls were not returned by the staff (I was planning the wedding from out-of-state); my final dress fitting was delayed by 2 hours due to an irate customer monopolizing the seamstress's time without an appointment...management did nothing to help out with the situation; the wrong veil was ordered; it was just an all around mess. I practiced a lot of patience through the year that I worked with this vendor, and now I realize that I should have spoken up about the poor service.

Sent on 02/24/2008

suzanne · Married on 05/17/2008

1.2
      1.0

This is a warning to all brides, do not use this dress shop. The service is horrible and it seems like once they have your money, they don't care. I had 6 bridesmaids, a maid of honor, 2 junior bridesmaids, and a flower girl in my bridal party. That's 9 dresses, plus my mother and future mother in law, and my own dress. 12 dresses total, which is A LOT of business. I wanted everyone to be able to try on a dress so I coordinated a day when everyone could go, called and made an appointment. I told them how many people I was bringing. We got there and were totally rushed through the appt. They told me I shouldn't have brought that many. Excuse me? This is business for you, and half the girls were single and therefore potential future customers. And not only that but I called to complain about being rushed and they said well you should have booked 2 appts together. Why didn't you tell me that on the phone when I told you how many people I was bringing? So we were rushed into making a decision, and not given very much attention while we were there to boot.

I had to leave the store to cry because dresses are such an important decision and I just felt pressured and rushed into picking something. No bride should have to feel like that.

Sent on 12/19/2008

Jacqueline · Married on 09/23/2017

0.8
      1.0

I found the most beautiful wedding dress at this venue. I was over the moon and in love with my dress that was gorgeous and affordable. Then everything went to hell. My dress practically fit it just needed a few things - yet the price was over $500 dollars! And then kept going up - as the previous reviewer said! By the end it was close to $700 in alterations! The alterations were also terribly done. The worst was that they tried to send me home with a less than perfect dress! Two days before my wedding and my dress was a mess. In the end after tears and begging they fixed it. Stay away!

Sent on 06/22/2016

Brandi · Married on 02/26/2016

0.4
      0.5

While the store has a great selection of dresses and I found the most beautiful gown, I cannot recommend them due to their alterations practices. Working in the hospitality industry at a local venue, I expected some common courtesy, but instead was blatantly mislead. Their alterations costs are high (for mine, $570) from the get-go. But then they neglect to tell you that a bustle is in addition ($100). Then, they rush you to get in and have the alterations done months prior to your wedding. I told them upfront that I was losing weight, but they proceeded with initial alterations regardless. They never said that there could be an additional cost if they had to take the dress in more. If they had, I would have never had them alter it in the first place. When I came in for my final fitting they then charged me again (another $100) and were not at all apologetic for not properly explaining everything. When it was said and done, the alterations were half of the cost of the dress. Guess that's where they make their money, so for your own sake, if you want to get your gown there, get it and RUN afterwards to a reputable seamstress.

Sent on 03/08/2016

Jamie · Married on 06/08/2013

0.4
      1.0

I had the absolute worst experience with Country Bride and Gent store.My wedding day was absolutely perfect except for my dress. From the beginning, their customer service was terrible. The woman that helped me try on dresses was very rude and impatient with me.My dress did not come in until 4 weeks before my wedding! I was so worried because I needed alterations.The alterations were so incredibly expensive. $400 in all, when my dress was over $800, to have my dress hemmed and the bust taken in. When I got my dress home, I took it out of the trash bag (yes, they put a trash bag over my dress, did not even provide a garment bag after spending over $1200 at their store) and noticed they had not steamed the train! It had so many creases from how it was packaged when shipped. I cried to my then fiance and he called them right away to talk to them and the woman who answered said the manager would get back to him Monday. She didn't call until the Tuesday after my wedding, when we tried contacting them many times in between. On my wedding day, my best friend brought a steamer and we spent a good hour steaming the train ourselves to get the creases out the best we can. Finally I was trying to not think about it and enjoy my beautiful wedding. Then my dress started to fall apart!The layer under the satin started to fall out and hang out of my dress and the lining did too! Then the pick-ups in the front of the dress fell out and everytime I walked, my dress ripped even more! I missed an entire hour of my reception because people were trying to safety pin my dress up so it would not fall apart any more. Tuesday after my wedding, I told her all of what happened through tears and all she could say is that someone must have stepped on the dress and they can't be held responsible for that. She also said that I could not prove that they didn't steam the train. She didn't offer any sympathy or any suggestions on how to fix it or offer to give me any of my money back.

Sent on 07/07/2013
  • W

Deven · Married on 10/24/2015

0.0

We had the absolute worst experience here. It was comical at times, because we didn't think it could get any worse than it was, and they somehow managed to surprise us.

First things- they lose absolutely everything. They lost our order for the bridesmaids dresses. They then called me asking if they could order them when they already told us they were ordered. While on the phone with them they asked me what dresses the girls wanted... and color. Even though we had gone there, signed papers with the style number, color, and the girls' measurements. So I'm more than terrified they messed that up.

The dresses just came in, and they sent the girls a post card..... The post card stated the remainder of their balance was due 5 days prior to them even receiving the post card..

When we went to try on the bridesmaids dresses we made an appointment, and we had to fend for ourselves. There were no other customers in the store and our 'helper' decided she'd rather go sit behind the counter. I am so beyond happy I did not order my dress from here. I know I would regret it.

I would stay away if you don't want to stress out and babysit your order. They seem to be stuck in 1985, and are less than helpful.

Sent on 06/16/2015

0.0

While The Country Bride and Gent had a nice selection their service was awful. My mom purchased her mother-of-the-bride gown here. The sales staff had her order at least 1 size larger than needed. Each time we went for a fitting, the seamstress became very frustrated with my mom when she had to basically re-make the entire dress. My mom went with the store's recommendation on sizing but she was talked down to during every fitting when she asked to have something altered to fit her. On top of bad service, the alterations came at an exorbitant cost. If you purchase a dress here, save yourself money and hassle AND TAKE IT ELSEWHERE FOR ALTERATIONS!!! What should have been a happy experience became a horror story.

Sent on 08/21/2015

Laura · Married on 06/01/2013

0.0

Country Bride and Gent is a total rip off. I purchased my bridesmaid dress from here for my best friend’s wedding and the cost for the alterations was the same price as the cost for the dress! Ridiculous! And $200 for what?! So my ZIPPER could break ON THE DAY OF THE WEDDING due to poor sewing on the waist sash that was added. I missed half the pictures because the other bridesmaid (who was also unhappy with the fit of her dress) had to tape and pin me into the dress!! And how did Country Bride and Gent attempt to restore my confidence in their business? By giving me $30 off! $30 OFF a $400+ DRESS!!! And what’s even worse, THEY STILL HAVE MY DRESS!!! THEY HAVE NOT EVEN CALLED!!! THAT WEDDING WAS IN OCTOBER!!! It is my belief they are still working on it because they messed it up so badly. Or they are simply avoiding me because they already got their money, and they know I AM VERY UNHAPPY with the experience. Great way to treat your customers! You should give even BETTER treatment to customer that received a bad experience, not brush them under the rug. The only positive thing that has come out of this experience for me, is I DID NOT purchase my wedding gown or any of the wedding clothes or accessories from Country Bride and Gent, THANK GOD! Which is probably why I did not encounter any of the above mentioned problems on my wedding day.

Sent on 03/11/2014

Allison · Married on 10/20/2012

0.0

I would never recommend anyone go to Country Bride. I bought my wedding dress and was hesitant at first because I didn't like the straps. My consultant tucked them in and said it would be no problem to remove them. Fast forward 6 months, my dress arrives and I go in for my first fitting. The seamstress gets a little bent out of shape and says the straps cannot be removed! After expressing complete frustration and disappointment, she said it's doable but will be expensive. At this point, what choice do I have? My first visit, she charged $150 just to remove the straps. I express my disappointment to the sales associate and she says "you don't have to get your alteration here you know..." I should have run then! 2nd visit, she wants to charge another $175 because it's still too big in the bust. I can't have my dress falling off so again, I have no choice. 3rd visit, the seamstress begins the final alterations...hem and taking in other areas...another $350!!! At this point, I requested to speak to a manager. I was told the manager was away so I again expressed my frustration to another sales associate. She was rude, and told me I was supposed to ask for an alterations quote prior to purchasing my dress. When I suggested it was good business practice for them to suggest it since I am not the expert she told me I was wrong and I could take my dress elsewhere. I certainly took my dress with me that day and found someone else who made my dress amazing! Warning to any bride…seek other boutiques/stores!

Sent on 11/18/2012

Donna · Married on 10/17/2010

0.0

We had the WORST experience with these guys, especially Will in the Bensalem store. FOG was out of town and a hard fit, so we were concerned. Rightly so. When FOG arrived in town on Saturday he discovered the shirt was one size too big, jacket 2 sizes too big, tie was blue, not black. Unfortunately, the store was already closed and closed on Sunday so there was nothing we could do about it. MOG called after the wedding and was told that jacket didn't come in his size and they only found out on Friday (the groom picked up the suits on Thursday night and FOB was fitted a month before the wedding). Why no phone call when they discovered the issue? There were issues with two other suits, one even having a jacket with one sleeve shorter than the other. Thankfully that man was there on Thursday to try on. MOB asked twice for the owner to call her back and no call ever came. They were unapologetic and argumentative, even trying to tell me that the tie was indeed black when everyone who saw it agreed it was blue. FOB was embarrassed and didn't enjoy the wedding. No one at this store seems to care. We had to dispute the charge on the credit card. What a shame. All of our other vendors were great and I'm going to give all of them exemplary reviews. - just so you know that we're not just hard to please customers. Steer clear of these guys!

Sent on 10/28/2010