Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo Reviews

Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 6
Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 7
  • Kristina

Kristina Bruce · Married on 08/17/2019

My dreams came true at the zoo!

I can't imagine a better place to get married than at the Beardsley Zoo. From the second we started planning until the second we pulled out of the parking lot at the end of our wedding day, it was just all my dreams come true. The beautiful backdrop and scenery were just amazing. The carousel and antique horses gave the perfect backdrop that people who came still can't stop talking about. And the staff, from those driving golf carts, to running the carousel, to Lindsay leading the crew, it was absolute perfection. I felt like the venue was filled with my best friends who were just as excited as family to make my day special.

Sent on 09/03/2019
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 8
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 9
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 10
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 11
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 12
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 13

Mike · Married on 09/02/2018

I cannot say enough about our wedding yesterday. Lindsey was amazing. We have had a dozen plus guests tell us it was the most fun they ever had at a wedding. The kids that came loved being on the carousel all night. Lindsey took cares of everything, and it is something everyone will remember for a forever.

Just as a tip, I recommend getting first look photos around the zoo. It stretched out the day so that it all didn't fly by

Also, do an animal feeding. Being up close to the animals makes a huge difference and you will remember it forever. We fed the anteater and it was amazing.

I know this is not the traditional wedding factory, but that is the best part. You are not shoehorned into options. We were able to decide everything.

Sent on 09/03/2018

Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo's reply:

Thank you so much for your review Mike! You were a pleasure to work with and I am thrilled to hear that everyone had a good time! Please come back and visit us again and congrats again!
  • Michael

Michael · Married on 08/11/2018

Exceeded expectations in every way

We absolutely loved this venue. There are few like it. Many were skeptical when we told them where we were having our wedding but were floored when they saw it in person. There are so many available options for ceremony locations and the reception. Most importantly, we had indoor and outdoor options for each in the case of rain...which it did for us. You would most likely see the venue during the day, and it is beautiful. When it gets dark, the lights get turned down, and you have minimal uplighting, it gets even better. Also, I cannot say enough about Lindsay and her staff. She was there every step of the way, offered suggestions, and overall went above and beyond. We love the idea that we can take our children back to the place we got married in the future.

Sent on 11/13/2018

Michael,

Thank you so very much for your kind words! You both were such a pleasure to work with and I do hope you come back and visit again. Thanks so much and congrats again!

Alison · Married on 09/09/2017

We got married at the zoo on September 9, 2017, and it was absolutely perfect. We wanted a casual venue that our guests would really enjoy, and the zoo was just amazing. We rented the zoo for the evening and had our ceremony at the Peacock Pavilion, our cocktail hour on the outdoor patio, and our dinner and dancing inside the carousel house. All of our guests have said it was the most fun they've ever had at a wedding. There are a number of wonderful spots for photos--be sure to get some on the bridge in the farmyard area and at the carousel. Lindsay, the event coordinator, was so professional, responsive, and easy to work with. For example, we had animal encounters planned for the greenhouse, but our guests were mostly staying around the food and drinks, so Lindsay took the initiative to move the animals and trainers up to the patio area so everybody could enjoy them. She had a lot of great suggestions and recommendations for us. I would highly recommend paying a little extra for animal encounters and carousel rides--the prices are very reasonable, and our guests had a blast. My husband and I also got to feed the otters while the zoo was still open, which was so fun and another great photo opportunity! If you're not afraid to do something a little non-traditional for your wedding, you and your guests will have the best time ever at Beardsley Zoo. (Attached photos by A Storybook Image)

Sent on 10/09/2017
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 18
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 19
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 20

Alison,
    Thank you so much for your kind words! You and Billy were wonderful to work with! Thank you so much for including pictures as well they came out stunning!!! Hope to get the chance to work with you again!

Thea · Married on 05/27/2017

When choosing our wedding venue, we were down to two, and the zoo won easily, for two main reasons. 1- rain plan backup, and 2- Lindsay, the venue coordinator. She made the whole experience so much easier by being constantly available (2 days was a long response gap for her, I got most replies within 1), and was endlessly helpful with setup and logistics.
    The zoo itself is also fantastic. Guests got to visit in the afternoon before the ceremony. We got to go around and take photos at a bunch of different spots. We got to feed the otters (highly recommended, and a bunch of our guests just happened to be hanging around right then, so I keep cracking up at the "traditional pre-ceremony feeding of the otters ritual" photos and videos that have popped up). The zoo set up everything for the ceremony, and we got to have a baby alligator and owl greet everyone as they arrived there. We had cocktail hour around the fountain, which was beautiful. We choose to have our reception at the Hanson building (most people choose the carousel, but we had a smaller guest list and wanted a smaller space), and after we did most of the setup on Friday, Lindsay and her staff set up our tables and centerpieces on the deck on Saturday afternoon.
    Everything looked beautiful the whole day, it was so easy, the price was great (it's gone up a little since we booked, but I think it's still insanely reasonable, it includes tables and chairs), we got tons of compliments on the venue all night (and many days after), everything was smooth and easy. It's not a full-service catering hall, but for a beautiful, intimate wedding, with a lot of diy, it was perfect, and Lindsay took a lot of the diy logistic stress away.

Sent on 06/10/2017

Thea,
    Thank you so much for the kind words! You were a beautiful bride and a pleasure to work with! Congrats again to you and Jeff! Hope to see you at the zoo again soon!!
  • Elizabeth

Elizabeth Spear · Married on 05/20/2017

Wonderful! Beautiful unique space with kind helpful staff.

My husband and I had our wedding in the Carousel room at the Beardsley Zoo May 20, 2017. Our wedding was everything we could have hoped it to be, beautiful, magical, and most importantly fun!! Everyone of my friends and family were all at the carousel a minimun 1 time. It was the best watching everyones face while they were riding, they all were so happy! Corey and I were constantly on it throughout the evening! The staff was amazing. Lindsay went above and beyond to help us make our wedding day perfect! She was so easy to communicate with, she always answered my phone calls and emails right away and was flexible with my hours to meet her. The staff the night of the wedding were wonderful as well. They all had big smiles and were welcoming. I still get compliments even a year later from my wedding being the most fun. I recommend the Beardsley Zoo to everyone that tells me they are getting married and I tell them my experience. It truley is a wonderful venue!

Sent on 10/18/2018
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 21
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 22

Amy · Married on 05/06/2017

We got married and had our reception at the zoo on May 6th, and from the start of the planning until the very end of the night Lindsay and Staff were extremely helpful, fun to work with, and made the day go super smoothly. I highly recommend the Zoo if you are looking for a completely different wedding experience for you and your guests. We received a lot of complements on how much fun everyone had riding the Carousel all night! It was a blast!
    My husband and I also did most of our photos during the day while the zoo was open and had the chance of feeding the otters, which was an amazing experience. The great part of getting married at the zoo, is that you can really make the day your own!

Sent on 05/22/2017

Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo's reply:

Amy, thank you so incredibly much for all the kind words! Hopefully we can work together in the future again! Congrats to you both again!

We had our ceremony and reception at the zoo. Our guests had a wonderful time! Lindsay was a pleasure to work with.

Sent on 09/28/2013
  • Jamie

Jamie · Married on 09/24/2016

We had so much fun planning our wedding with Lindsay who helped every step of the way! Our families were skeptical about a wedding at a zoo but left that night claiming it was one of the best weddings they've been too! From the ceremony under a stone hedge to cocktail hour where we fed the otters to the reception in the carousel house! It was never a dull moment! If you want something out of the box, this is it!

I have to give the rest of the staff a shout out too because all of them were so nice and accommodating!

Sent on 06/03/2017

Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo's reply:

Jamie, thank you so much for all the kind words! You all were SUCH a pleasure to work with and we hope to see you at the zoo again soon!

The Beardsley Zoo was the most exciting Wedding Venue. The guests can visit exhibits during cocktail hour. The reception is in the carasol building. The carasol attend is Ida and when your guests want to ride she is more than cooperative. Lindsay and her team at the zoo could not have been more professional and courteous. What a Wedding. Guests will be talking about it for years. Thank you Beardsley Zoo Team. A memorable wedding. Just so outstanding.

Sent on 09/18/2016

Rachel · Married on 09/17/2016

I had my wedding at the zoo last year in September and it and Lindsay were amazing!!! After our first meeting with Lindsay, my husband and I knew she was awesome! The zoo is such a fun place to have a wedding in and you can really do whatever you want. We had our ceremony in the rose garden area, the cocktail hour in the picnic area outside of the carousel building and reception around the carousel. It was absolutely amazing and perfect. Everyone should have their wedding at the zoo it is perfect and so beautiful, you don't even realize! Lindsay was so accommodating and flexible and just awesome. She was always available to talk and meet and wanted to know everything we wanted so she did not miss a thing..She went out of her way to help us in everything, I asked her a million questions and she always had an answer for me. She gave us great recommendations and told us what works best for our thoughts, I have nothing but positive things to say about our experience with Lindsay and the zoo staff. On the actual wedding day she was great and kept checking to make sure we were getting everything we wanted and took care of absolutely everything...we had a bridesmaid dress crisis and Lindsay was there to help and make sure everything was taken care of. We were able to bring in our caterer and have whatever we wanted, it was just awesome. You can choose to have whichever animals you want out so your guests can go see them and decorate almost anyway you want. Having the carousel available and as the backdrop was just awesome as well. Thank you Lindsay and everyone at the zoo for helping us have the best day of our life!!! Our experience was truly incredible!

Sent on 09/18/2017

Terry · Married on 09/10/2016

Working with Lindsay was a dream. She walked me through every step. More importantly, the day-of team was fantastic! They took care of things I didn't even know I needed.

Sent on 09/21/2016

Chandra · Married on 09/02/2016

I love this place. I have personal attachments to it, but I don't think that it's just me. The best thing about this place is that there are so many options. You can rent just one space, or the whole zoo! I rented the whole zoo because that meant we got to have the zoo all to ourselves. So, afterhours, just my favorite people in my favorite place. They are really easy to work with and will do anything you need. Since it's a zoo, there are some rules (no open flames, no balloons) but I found it really easy to work around. Relatively inexpensive, beautiful locations that can fit any type of wedding or any size of wedding, and a truly unique experience that will have your guests raving! My guests couldn't ride the carousel enough! It's also perfect if you're not sure how the weather will be because there are outdoor and indoor solutions for everything. The team was so helpful (guests with trouble walking were shuttle between locations on the golf carts) and there was a ton to see and do. My wedding was around 80 people, with a six-piece band and people had time to see the zoo, ride the carousel, eat the amazing food, and just generally have the best time! I can't recommend this as a wedding venue highly enough, especially if you want something different, something with animals, something good for groups with kids or for adults who still love to be kids. You will never have a bad wedding at the zoo!

Sent on 09/23/2016

After rushing around trying to find a place to take my engagement photos after my initial place fell threw, someone suggested Beardsley Zoo to for my fiancee and I, and I was SO happy with the zoo. Lindsay was beyond accommodating, and it was no problem for them at all, even though we were pretty last minute and they just asked for a donation to the zoo. There we so many different places in the zoo to take photos, which gave us so many different looks. So much fun. I'd recommend them to anyone, for weddings or engagement photo sessions. Definitely fun, affordable, and different!!! Can't beat it.

Sent on 07/10/2015

Kelly · Married on 04/04/2015

We had an amazing wedding on Saturday, April 4th, because of Lindsay and her staff at the Connecticut Beardsley Zoo. My daughter was married in the carousel building with the carousel as a backdrop. We also had the reception in the carousel building immediately following the ceremony. Lindsay, the Event Coordinator, for the Connecticut Beardsley Zoo and her staff were fantastic! She answered all of our questions, made recommendations, worked closely with our caterer and DJ from start to finish. The day of the event, she did everything she said she would do and was there for the whole event making sure everything was going smoothly. Her staff shuttled guests up to and back down from the event and made sure the carousel was running for anyone to ride, and we ALL did! The carousel also made for beautiful pictures and wonderful memories.

We would recommend the Connecticut Beardsley Zoo and its carousel as a wedding site to anyone. Lindsey and the rest of the staff made it easy to pull off and a beautiful worry free day.

Sent on 04/13/2015

Rick · Married on 09/01/2012

The Carousel Building at the Beardsley Zoo was an awesome time. Lindsay the event coordinator was fantastic. She was so helpful and her suggestions made the day a memorable one. Guests of all ages loved riding the carousel. While the younger crowd was dancing, the older guests relived their childhood riding the carousel. I received so many wonderful comments from our guests on what a great time they had. I would highly recommend Lindsay and the Beardsley Zoo.

Sent on 09/05/2012
  • Samantha

Samantha B · Married on 05/26/2019

Unique Venue, Great Experience

I hosted my 50th birthday party at the Hanson building at Beardsley Zoo, and it was a 100% fantastic (and unique) experience. The staff was easy to work with, and on the day of the event helped with set-up and made sure everything was just right without getting in the way. The Hanson is a really nice lodge-style building with a deck and a front lawn (perfect for badminton), clean rest rooms, and a kitchen. After lunch, most of my guests headed over to the zoo (using the discounted wristbands I had purchased). We all had so much fun! The cost was a little higher than I had budgeted, but given that Beardsley Zoo is a nonprofit, I felt ok about that. Also, parking on a Sunday afternoon was extremely limited (I didn't realize how packed the zoo would be), so many of my guests had to walk up from the street. On the whole, though, I give the venue a solid A.

Sent on 06/03/2019

Hi Samantha,

Thanks so much for hosting your 50th party with us! It looked like it was a great time for all and I am glad you chose our venue for your special day! Hope to work with you again on another event and Happy Birthday again!!

Maria Giovannini · Married on 01/13/2019

This is the best venue ever!

We held a baby shower in January in the Hanson Log Cabin. It blew our guests away! They were also able to tour the zoo! Lindsay was knowledgeable, helpful, friendly and very easy to work with. Skip the usual restaurant events and be creative. I highly recommend this venue. Think out of the box. Your guests will love it and so will you. Makes for great pics too!

Sent on 01/16/2019

Hi Maria,

Thanks so much for reviewing us! You and BethAnn were an absolute pleasure to work with and I hope we get the chance to work together again!

Carol · Married on 07/22/2017

I just had a bridal shower at the Victorian Greenhouse. It is an amazing location and I would recommend it for a smaller type wedding or other event. The natural beauty of the greenhouse interior and plants is soothing and elegant. It does not need any thing else. Book ahead of time, and it is not used in the summer months because greenhouses get very hot. The price is excellent for such a nice venue. The staff was very helpful in the planning of the event and clean-up was not rushed.
    They have other locations such as the Carousel house and the log cabin, both of which are really nice.

Sent on 05/10/2017

Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo's reply:

Thank you so much for reviewing us Carol! It was a pleasure to work with you and we hope to plan another event with you here again soon!

Mike · event on 05/14/2016

My son's 1st birthday party was a great success thanks to Lindsay and the staff of Beardsley Zoo!! We rented out the Hanson building, and from the time I was inquiring about my event, through the end of my event, Lindsay was there every step of the way to answer questions and help in any way she could. The building itself was immaculately clean, and has a kitchen that was perfect for coordinating food service. There are also restrooms in the building as well. If the weather is nice, the patio and outside grassy area make for great spaces to sit outside or play games with the kids. I also received discount zoo passes for my guests to visit the zoo during the day of the event. Everyone was impressed and told me how great a party this was. I highly recommend Lindsay and the Beardsley Zoo. They have pre-coordinated carousel parties available, or you can rent out the Hanson building and create your own event. Either way the Beardsley Zoo is a great venue for your next event!!

Sent on 05/18/2016