Chicago History Museum Reviews

Chicago History Museum 2
  • Jordan

Jordan · Married on 08/03/2019

Beautiful venue

Amazingly beautiful but long wait list

Sent on 04/25/2019

Brittany · Married on 06/09/2018

It was truly a dream to get married at the Chicago History Museum! The venue and outdoor space are absolutely stunning! The staff is incredible and helped our dream day come true!

Sent on 07/10/2018
    Chicago History Museum 3
    Chicago History Museum 4

Katie · Married on 05/05/2018

When we started looking at wedding venues, we wanted something that had an outdoor and indoor space. When we came across the Chicago History Museum, we fell absolutely in love with the Chicago Room and the outdoor plaza. I cannot get over how perfect this venue was for our wedding! Not only is the space amazing, the staff is wonderful!! Jessica was amazing to work with! She was professional and attendant. Any questions I had for her, were answered quickly and thoroughly! I would recommend this venue to anyone looking to get married in Chicago!

Sent on 05/24/2018

Cara · Married on 09/17/2016

The Chicago History Museum was the location of our dream wedding reception. The staff was available throughout the entire process and provided excellent insights on how to create the perfect night. The room itself is absolutely stunning and gave a unique twist on a typical venue. It easily fit our 190 person guest list without feeling crowded.

Sent on 12/16/2016

Margaret · Married on 09/03/2011

We worked with Becky at the Chicago History Museum and could not have been more pleased and impressed. She was fantastic! Not only was she utterly professional but also extremely personable. Honestly, this was the best venue we could have hoped for. We did our ceremony outside and our reception in the Chicago room. Everything was perfect. I HIGHLY recommend the Chicago History Museum for your wedding/ceremony venue.

Sent on 09/20/2011

Jennifer · Married on 12/12/2015

The CHM, and especially Sarah, were just phenomenal. In and of itself the venue is just spectacular, from the glamorous Chicago Room with it's black and white checkerboard floor flanked by wood floors and stained glass on either side, to the Robinson Gallery and the Crossroads of America exhibit. Guests enjoyed the exhibit, and even those who chose to keep drinking and eating outside of it were able to to have plentiful space to talk and catchup up, or take in the artifacts. The center section of the Chicago Room was the perfect dance floor, and the bar in the Gallery was close enough to not break up the flow, but just outside the dance floor to give you a breather.

In addition to the uniqueness and beauty of the space, the whole team was wonderful. Sarah made everything so easy in the leadup, and when one of the suppliers had an issue with the beer we chose, she threw in the second beer (now a replacement) for free without any inquiring. At the end of the night, the staff was incredibly efficient in packing up and helped carry everything to the car so as to let myself and parents just enjoy the night.

It's certainly not the cheapest option, and despite unseasonably warm December weather, we really didn't get to utilize the outdoor area, but we wouldn't have changed a thing. Thank you CHM!

Sent on 01/11/2016

Beth · Married on 08/02/2014

Chicago History Museum was our wedding venue location and it was fantastic! The room itself was absolutely beautiful and the outdoor space was the perfect addition for our cocktail hour and for guests to step out during the reception. We had so many compliments on our venue - I would highly recommend this bright, airy, and classic space for a perfect Chicago wedding.

Sent on 08/14/2014

Tamara · Married on 12/31/2013

We had our New Year's Eve wedding at the Chicago History Museum. Anna, the event coordinator for the museum, was amazing to work with. She was clearly very experienced and made the whole event run extremely smoothly. We planned the wedding from Washington, DC and she was very available by phone and email anytime we needed anything. The wedding was absolutely beautiful and one of my guests has not booked her wedding at the venue. It was absolutely amazing.

Sent on 01/21/2014

Shani · Married on 06/30/2013

I fell in love with the Chicago History Museum as a wedding venue within 5 minutes. It was a stretch for the budget and they actually worked with me to help put it more in reach. My contact, Anna, was always responsive and helpful. She was my go-to person for ALL of my wedding questions. When a problem arose she was quick with a solution, such as when the champagne we chose was unavailable, she found a similar champagne at a higher price point and didn't charge us the difference. She was on hand the day of the wedding to help make sure everything was perfect and was there to make sure I got everything necessary in my car at the end of the night.

Sent on 07/08/2013

Alison · Married on 11/03/2012

Ever since I was little I dreamed of getting married at the Chicago Historical Society (now named the Chicago History Museum). When my fiancé (now husband) and I got engaged in December we only looked at 2 venues, which was 1 too many. Anna and the staff at CHM were great to work with. She was very professional, knew all of our vendors personally, and always got back to us quickly. The space is absolutely gorgeous. We loved how elegant yet edgy the rooms are. We had ~175 guests including a head table of 22 and the room was filled perfectly. There was room for more tables, but I think our size was perfect for the space. For the bride and groom who are looking to avoid the hotel ballroom wedding, CHM is your venue!

Sent on 11/23/2012

Shianne · Married on 05/27/2012

We held our wedding reception at the Chicago History Museum, in the Chicago Room and Uihlein Plaza. Everything was beautiful, and we got many compliments on the location and space. Our coordinator was Anna, who was responsive and very nice to work with. You're limited in your catering options, but all four approved vendors are excellent, so no real challenges there.

The only category we marked as less than 5 stars is Value - our wedding was on a Sunday, which is typically a lower rate. However, due to the holiday weekend (Memorial Day), we were charged the full, high-season Saturday rate without any option to negotiate (though Anna did work in a champagne toast for us). That said, the space is huge and gorgeous, so at the end of day, we personally felt that the splurge was worth it.

Sent on 06/03/2012

Jacqueline · Married on 09/13/2009

We LOVED our ceremony & reception held at the CHicago History museum!!!!

Stephanie was a doll and pleasure to work with, they were very flexible on the package options, details and planning and the attention my husband and I recieved all night from the venue and caterer was unbelieveable!!!!

It helped a lot that my caterer (BLUE PLATE) was very familiar with working with the venue and had a location close to transport food into so everything was still hot when served.

The stair case was gorgeous and breathtaking for the ceremony and for pictures late at night and we wouldnt change a thing!

Thank you CHM! We love you!

Sent on 01/13/2010

Sara · Married on 08/25/2018

We had our ceremony and cocktail hour in the plaza outside CHM and had our reception inside. We chose the venue because we wanted a place that had sufficient space for a ceremony and cocktail hour inside in case it rained. The building is truly beautiful and the location is amazing if you have guests visiting from out of town because they get an amazing Chicago experience. We worked with Erika Johnson at CHM to plan the event and she was very responsive. She worked well with our wedding coordinator (Erika B from Plum & Ivy) and caterer (Paramount), and was able to provide other vendor recommendations. She also was very accommodating with our specific beverage requests.

There are only 4 caterers at CHM which is why I ranked 4.5 on flexibility, though we tasted 3 of the 4 caterers and would have been happy with any of them. We chose Paramount and received so many compliments, so it is clear the CHM chooses their caterers wisely. I ranked 4/5 on value because this venue was more than some of the others we looked at. The true reason it was expensive was because they only allow certain caterers which are likely more expensive than at other venues. The caterers and CHM delivered the highest quality of service and was definitely worth the cost if it is within your budget.

I would definitely recommend CHM to anyone!

Sent on 09/22/2018

From the beginning, my husband and I knew we wanted to have a city wedding since we met in Wicker Park. Walking into the Chicago Room for our 1st appointment the space took our breath away and we immediately knew this was it. I started working with Jessie Pare (who unfortunately is no longer there) who was there for every inquiry, no matter how mundane, and also gave me recommendations for vendors which was beyond helpful during the initial planning stages. I like how CHM limits their catering options (we went with Jewell and have no regrets!) as I feel you'll get quality service no matter who you choose. Our only disappointments were with the bar and exhibit rental. It's mandatory to contract the bar through CHM as it seems to be pricey comparative to other city venues and we felt a little nickeled and dimed. The exhibit rental was quite expensive if you look at it from a $500/hr perspective. However...back to service...later on in the process I worked with Melanie and it was amazing how quickly she picked up on months of past communications with Jessie and all the details that went into our wedding. It was as if I started working with her from the beginning. I also liked how CHM was able to hold our decor items in advance, meet handicap needs, have the capability to have either an indoor or outdoor ceremony and accommodate a week-prior walk-through, as well as a rehearsal. All the spaces were just exquisite. From the North End of the Chicago Room, where we had our ceremony, to the Robinson Gallery where we held cocktail hour, to the Chicago Room fully opened for the reception, to the Plaza compliments all around for beautiful detail and a feeling of elegance throughout the entire event. I promise if you choose CHM for your venue, you will feel like you are the only person having a wedding there. The level of service from beginning to end (and even after!) is unmatched.

Sent on 10/30/2015

Cathie · Married on 06/20/2009

The Chicago History Museum is an amazing setting for your wedding. It was simply perfect. We got many many compliments from our guests.

Stephanie is a great contact and person to work with - quick to respond to emails and questions and she was a life-saver the day of our wedding. With her around, there is no need for a day of coordinator.

Sent on 06/25/2009

Jennifer · Married on 07/18/2009

4.2

We worked with Stephanie Slovak at The Chicago History Museum and had a fantastic experience. She was very responsive, organized and gave you a peace of mind that everything would be taken care of and it was. Stephanie helped provide ideas to give us a vision and was very patient. We met with a lot of vendors prior to meeting with Stephanie and knew right away that this was someone we could work with on such an important day.

The other staff especially the security staff received numerous compliments from our guests. Very polite and helped out the entire night.

The venue was stunning when we arrived and everything that was discussed prior to the wedding was set and complete.

We highly recommened the History Museum for a wedding or any event.

Sent on 08/10/2009

Andrea · Married on 07/20/2014

4.2
      3.5

I am thrilled that I had my wedding at CHM. It is a timeless, classic and elegant venue. We had a Sunday wedding because the Saturday site fee was too high for our budget. For what we paid for the Sunday rate, we got 6.5 hours and a gorgeous setting, inside and out. Another great reason to choose CHM is because they have a rain plan in case of bad weather. The one kicker is that you have to do your bar package through them which gets super pricey and is where we ended up going over budget. It was worth the look and feel of the venue as it was exactly how I pictured my wedding so I couldn't be happier. Sarah is who we worked with and she was really nice and helpful on the day of the wedding.

Sent on 07/29/2014

Kelly · Married on 11/07/2009

3.8
      3.5

too beautiful! the best place we could have found for an all-in-one day! we had the wedding on the 'stage' on the second floor, and then had the reception on the other side. Everything was so beautiful and they were great at the museum. the only thing we wish is that there were more areas open for people to look around and enjoy the displays.

Sent on 12/02/2009