Chef By Request Reviews

132 | Lisle, IL

132 Reviews for Chef By Request

Margie · Married on 12/13/2008

I really tried to think of something that would shave a point or two off a perfect 5.
    I failed.
    Everything went so well that we've used Chef By Request for a number of other functions/events. Still can't find any flaws.

The staff, the food, the attention to detail, the presentation, the flowers, the linens .... Chef David .... They did NOT fail. They surpassed every expectation.

Thanks and wishes for continued success!
    Mab

Sent on 10/05/2009

Erin · Married on 08/30/2008

YUMMY! The food was delectible!!! Everyone raved about how beautiful and wonderful it was. We can thank them enough for their wonderful service. The were professional and accomodating. The food at our wedding was fresh and colorful. I don't think anyone left hungry that's for sure!

Sent on 11/07/2008

Kimberly · Married on 01/24/2004

I couldn't have asked for anything better! Chef By Request help create the perfect wedding day for us. We had our wedding at Maxim's De Paris in Chicago. It was important to us for the food to be not only delicious, but elegant and sophisticated without being too fancy. Chef By Request did not disappoint...our guests were simply amazed!

I loved working with the wedding coordinator at Chef By Request, who was so helpful and enthusiastic. She also helped with little things like hiring someone to carve an ice sculptor for the bar. I gave Chef By Request a picture of a wedding cake that I found in Martha Stewart Living and they had it made for me! They also had recommendations for photographers and bands. The guests are still raving about how delicious the food was and how unique our wedding was...thanks to Chef By Request and all the special little touches they provided. I literally didn't have to worry about anything!

Sent on 08/20/2009

Laura · Married on 10/30/2014

We had a very unique situation; our reception was at the International Museum of Surgical Science which, while a crazy cool building, isn't really set up for an event like a wedding reception. There was virtually no indoor prep room, and every piece of equipment had to be brought up through a really old service elevator or two flights of stairs. Add to that that our reception was on Halloween (which had near-apocalyptic weather last year in Chicago) and it was less than ideal for a caterer. But the staff handled it like it was no big deal. I was astounded.

Katie was absolutely wonderful, and came up with a super creative menu that was delicious. We were careful to avoid any cheesy-themed Halloween dishes, and she was able to meet our goal of having an overall gothic and creepy atmosphere while not having bats and pumpkins and orange and black everywhere. She was extremely organized and attentive not just throughout that day, but through the whole planning process...and we started pretty late!

Because of the weather that day, things were running a bit late, but I think it's a testament to their professionalism that they were able to keep things as close to the schedule as they did and still remain flexible enough to adjust the timeline as the night went on like it was no big deal.

CBR really was great, and Katie truly went above and beyond with us to create a really memorable event.

Sent on 03/27/2015

Janis · event on 01/04/2014

We entertained 35 guests recently and were impressed with the professional service that Chef by Request provided for our event. The food was outstanding, we especially enjoyed the Mediterranean Chicken, Dill pasta Salad, and Carrot Cake. Also the service provided for the set up was much appreciated and made the event enjoyable for all in attendance. I would definitely recommend their Company for any Corporate Event.

Sent on 01/15/2014

Nicole · event on 12/14/2013

Everyone at CBR is professional and helpful. From planning the menu to clean up at the end of the party, they were awesome! The menu they helped us select was perfect. Everything was fresh, delicious and beautifully displayed. Thanks to them, I was able to really enjoy my own party and spend the evening with my guests.

Sent on 01/09/2014

Everything was wonderful, professional, great tasting, but the only thing I did not like was the plastic glasses the bar used.

Sent on 01/13/2014

Scott · event on 10/13/2013

Everything went very well. My neighbors and friends were impressed with the chef and her assistant and their professionalism and how they interacted with the party goers. My wife was thrilled and impressed. The only issue was with watermelon slices that was credited off my bill which was very much appreciated.

Also, we may have one of the helpers rain jackets. We have not found anyone that attended the party that has claimed the jacket.

Sent on 01/10/2014

Debbie · event on 08/15/2013

David had beautifully presented items that were visually appealing as well as delicious. i loved that he had gluten free choices. I was very impressed.

Debra · Married on 06/15/2013

Our facilitator, Katie, was exceptionally helpful. She made several modifications to our proposed menu base to suit our needs and worked with us on prices. The tasting was fun and efficient. Katie even came out to see our backyard--which was still under construction and rather muddy and hazardous!--a few weeks before the wedding to help us with an appropriate setup scheme. She was able to find us a nice portapotty vendor as well.

Our chef, Ella, cooked delectable foods in our own kitchen on the day of the wedding; the guests were so happy with everything. It was hot in the kitchen despite maxing out the air conditioner and extra fans, but Ella was very gracious about it. She even packaged up our leftovers in my own Tupperwares and casseroles (not that there were many leftovers, mind you) and placed them in the refrigerators.

The serving staff were so professional and smart. They dealt with the indoor/outdoor setting well, navigating many obstacles such as pallets of brick pavers and piles of sand (yes, we were still kind of under construction during the wedding, such is life), and setting up the buffet with little fuss after the ceremony. We miscalculated the hunger of our guests between our ceremony and our reception and the staff, who probably thought they were showing up to set up for the reception only, were able to jump into gear and help us set out our own emergency snacks (hopefully no one ever found out that my brother-in-law dropped that pizza on the kitchen floor) as soon as they showed up. Yes, how silly of us to think that people would sit and visit for us for 2 hours without being fed and watered, right?

We were very happy with everything and received tons of compliments on our food and the catering. We had a do-it-yourself thing going on, and the catering was the highlight of the whole affair, aside from the spectacle of our two 40-something selves finally tying the knot.

Katie · Married on 08/15/2009

Chef by Request catered our wedding this summer and it was ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS! The Chef custom wrote a menu for our tastes and our budget - I cannot say enough good things about their company. Keep up the good work Chef By Request! I will definitely refer you to my friends and family! Thanks so much for making our reception truly a night to remember!!!!

Sent on 08/18/2009

Joseph · Married on 05/16/2009

Chef By Request is absolutely amazing at making wedding cakes!!! I gave her a picture and described what I wanted and she made it exactly how I had invisioned it. I highly recommend her to everyone.

Sent on 05/14/2010

Rocky · Married on 05/16/2015

We used Chef By Request for a small (70) wedding at a park district building. They were more than accommodating with what we wanted and asked for. The food, presentation , and service were flawless. I had multiple guests tell me that it was the best wedding food they ever had and commented on how nice it was that it wasn't the "usual wedding food." The food was more than ample in serving size and was delicious. The servers were courteous, and were not in the way yet made everything flow smoothly and went out of their way to help They aren't the fastest company with return phone calls but they are, in my opinion, one of the best in making the client happy and delivering what they promised and more, much more.

Sent on 05/17/2015

Kathleen · event on 12/14/2013

Our experience with Chef by Request was excellent. Katie Merkle provided great insight in helping me design the perfect menu for our guests. The chef was awesome! He was able to put together an extra vegetarian entree for a 'surprise' vegetarian guest. The wait staff were highly professional and enabled me to enjoy the company of our guests versus serving them! The food was incredible! Everyone truly enjoyed it! Excellent job all around! Thank you Chef be Request!!

Sent on 01/05/2014

Kate · Married on 11/22/2013

We had been trying to find a caterer that could provide a quality product with our limited budget, and Chef by Request was the perfect solution! They were so flexible and helpful as we planned out each part of the package. We ended up using their "Sweet Home Chicago" menu, with a buffet of stuffed pizza, Italian beef, cheesecake and more. Most of our guests said it was the best wedding food they had had in a long time. The bartenders and servers went above and beyond to make everyone feel welcome and relaxed. I would use Chef by Request again in a heartbeat!

Sent on 01/08/2014

Sara · Married on 10/06/2013

We did not want a typical cookie cutter wedding. We were paying the most for food and we wanted it to be amazing. We actually had a few dietary restrictions and Chef by Request were champs about working with them. They were patient with us as we had to go back and forth a few times about the menu due to the restrictions. But most importantly, they were willing to be creative! They actually talked to us about what kind of food we liked, what our vision was for the day. They came up with such an amazing menu and one that no one noticed encompassed all the dietary restrictions we needed to work with. The food was delicious and everyone loved it. I also cannot thank the staff that worked that night. They were amazing! They made our day beautiful, delicious and most importantly, stress free!

Sent on 05/13/2014

Melissa · Married on 10/05/2013

We used Chef by Request for our outdoor vineyard wedding. We had a unique situation where the grounds for our event had no running water or electricity, and Chef by Request accommodated us with everything we needed. Danielle, our coordinator provided by Chef by Request, was great at making sure the day was perfect and worked with our budget. All of our guests raved about the food and many said it was the best steak they have had, so hat's off to the chef. We are truly grateful to have found them and would definitely recommend them highly.

Rachel · Married on 06/16/2013

Chef by Request was professional, available, and helpful. Everything went so smoothly. I was able to relax and enjoy my wedding day! Thank you very much!

Sent on 01/07/2014
  • User3799107 · event on 06/09/2013

Great food and service. Very accomodating.

Violet · event on 05/26/2013

Planning the event with My Chef's help was a pleasure and the wait staff provided for the event were very professional and personable! Would definitely use again!

mary · event on 05/12/2013

We had a GREAT experience! IT was relaxing and enjoyable being able to focus on the guest of honor instead of cooking and serving. I highly recommend Chef By Request and David!

Sent on 01/03/2014

I had a great experience working with Chef by Request. They were accommodating, flexible, and professional from the beginning. The food was excellent and the quality superb. I would recommend them for any event.

Sent on 01/02/2014

They allowed us to provide our own drinks & specialty desserts; were very flexible and willing to let it be our event. Food was wonderful & service was very professional & they always anticipated our needs.

Sarah · Married on 10/24/2010

With my wedding, food was the highest priority. We're both foodies, and wanted to make sure that our guests were treated to a well cooked meal. It didn't have to be especially fancy or artistic, but it had to taste amazing and not break our budget. Enter Chef By Request.

We had two tastings with Chef Dave who is passionate and creative about food. No detail was too small, no request too picky. We appreciated knowing that the chicken was never frozen or that the bread is baked fresh daily. They even let us bring in sushi which they plated and displayed during the cocktail hour.

Danielle was excellent to work with--we had a new venue that required a catering visit, and they worked out all the details without my presence. It was a relief on my wedding day to have an experienced head server running the show. My mother-in-law does large conferences each year and has had TONS of experience with caterers, and she raved about the service.

The food at the wedding wasn't perfect as our tasting. One of the main courses we had requested a chicken with spinach, brie and red pepper and on wedding day, there was no red pepper! Also, we ran out of our vegetarian option (pasta) which was sad when the last table went up (and had vegetarians) and they didn't have any food to eat. Despite these two major flaws, the food was still very tasty.

The best part about Chef By Request was that they really tried hard to work within our budget, allowing us to buy our own beer and wine but helping us purchase the license we needed for the day and servers as well. They helped pair down the menu so we didn't compromise taste, and it was well worth the extra few dollars to go with them.

Recommended and worth the investment for us. Thanks, Chef By Request!

Sent on 01/27/2011

Jim · Married on 07/29/2017

Absolutely wonderful! Their food was the awesome!!!The staff was so incredibly friendly. They made it easy to put together a menu Amanda hit a home run most of my guest felt it was the best food at a wedding they have ever had.

Sent on 07/31/2017