Chad Whelan Reviews

15 | East Haddam, CT

15 Reviews for Chad Whelan

Julie · Married on 09/01/2019

Chad and his wife are a great team!

Chad was so nice and prompt. He didn't direct us, just let us do our thing while capturing every moment. He even made sure to let us know his time was almost up and we hadn't done the cake yet. I so appreciate him being on top of everything and making sure we got what we wanted.

Sent on 09/04/2019
  • Ryan

Ryan Smith · Married on 05/26/2019

Great Wedding Videographer!

We are so happy we booked Chad to capture our wedding day! He is a very easygoing guy who has a true passion for his craft. Chad was always very responsive to our questions and concerns. He has a fun, upbeat editing style that really makes his footage shine. We are so happy with our decision to book him - and so are our families! They love watching the video.

Sent on 01/02/2020

Brian · Married on 10/13/2018

Talented videographer

Your wedding day is a day you want to remember for the rest of your life and relive over and over again after spending months planning your perfect day. We are so happy that we decided to work with Chad as he provided us with a video that we could not be happier with capturing every detail!

Chad and Samantha arrived at the church early to set up and hook up the groom with a wireless mic which captured every word during the ceremony. Throughout the day, we felt like we were always on the move and Chad and Samantha were always in the best spot to capture all our moments and details.

When we received our teaser trailer (like 2 days after our wedding!) we noticed so many candid moments that were captured, such as the groom casually playing with the wedding ring. And when we reviewed our final video we were so impressed with how Chad cut together the moments of our day, timed the transitions to the music perfectly, and even adjusted the speed of some moments to create artful transitions between a fast-passed song and our first slower dance. We trusted Chad to capture our special day and he did not disappoint. He was an absolute pleasure to work with and was even able to incorporate some of our wedding photos into the video and it came out amazing!

Throughout the process, Chad always responded quickly via e-mail and kept us updated on his progress. He was so patient in working with us and is all about making his customers happy. Before finalizing our video, he sent us a copy of it and asked for our feedback. The video was amazing, and we couldn’t stop watching it on repeat. After taking in all the special moments, admiring Chad’s attention to detail, and enjoying how the video paired with the audio and music so perfectly and creatively, we had a few requests. We noticed that a few special moments to us were missing from the first cut, so we asked Chad if he could add it in. He responded right away and was able to update the video with no issues quickly. It’s nice to work with someone who is a true professional and has an eye for detail. We are so lucky to be able to relive our perfect day for the rest of our life with a huge smile on our faces and a happy tear once in while 😊! Thank you, Chad!!

Sent on 08/14/2019

Lindsey · Married on 05/18/2018

Chad was the only vendor I never met in person before the big day, but I trusted him and his work with the frequent (and easy) communication we had. He was SO accommodating with my requests. He worked with my budget, and wedding day timeline to make sure we got all the right shots! My video is perfect and I’m ashamed to say how many times I’ve watched it!

Sent on 08/12/2018

Shannon · Married on 05/13/2018

Chad was a pleasure to work with. Having a videographer at our wedding was decided late in the planning stages for us but Chad made it an easy decision. He was very responsive and ended up talking to us on the phone right after we initially emailed him. Other videographers in this price point are larger companies who send a person to your wedding without you really knowing who they are. After speaking with Chad it was clear that he was the perfect person for us. If you haven't visited his personal website, we highly recommend doing so and watching the videos that he has posted.

Initially, we chose the cheapest option due to cost. After meeting with Chad personally, we decided to upgrade to a package with 2 videographers for 8 hours and 4K video. The 2nd videographer was Chad's wife, Samantha. Once you book with Chad, he will ask you to send him a list of songs that you would like included in your videos. Choosing music that fits your style will make your video so much more personal.

Both Chad and Samantha were amazing to work with. There was never a moment that was staged. They came in and just told us to be natural. To be honest, we never really noticed them taping during the wedding.

Chad came along with the wedding party to the portrait part right after the ceremony. Samantha stayed behind to get some shots of our guests enjoying the cocktail hour. It was really fun having Chad with us during the portraits, he was able to catch some moments of fun that would have been otherwise missed by photography.

We haven't seen the finished product yet, but we are confident that we will be very pleased with it. Chad and Samantha were a pleasure to work with and we would highly recommend them for anyone looking for a videographer. It was comforting that they were a family business in CT and that we knew exactly who would be working with us on our wedding day.

Sent on 05/20/2018

Melissa · Married on 12/14/2014

Chad was very professional and friendly. He did an amazing job on my video and I couldn't be happier with it. Thank you so much!!

Sent on 05/03/2015

Beth · Married on 03/29/2014

Our wedding video was extremely important to us, even more so than pictures. Don’t get me wrong, I put a lot of research into choosing our photographer, but I knew lots of people would capture photographs that day. A quality video that would allow us to relive that day for years to come, however, was invaluable. To be able to continuously rewind those fantastic, fleeting moments was all I wanted. Those spectacular, once-in-a-lifetime moments I daydreamed about for so long would come and go so quickly, but a video would preserve those moments for always. And not only would it allow us to relive the moments we loved … we’d actually be able to see those moments from our guests’ perspective, and we could experience some of the moments we missed by virtue of being the bride and groom.

I spent hours researching and watching the work products of many skilled videographers. And Chad was the one I kept going back to. His video montages online were moving and beautiful. He has an eye for detail, and he strives for perfection. The fact that he also happened to be very reasonably priced was an extra bonus.

From the very start, Chad demonstrated great character. He was always so easy to work with and reliable. However, the true test of his character resulted from a disappointment I experienced. He worked with me until I was happy, never losing patience or making me feel like I was too picky. Even just based on that experience alone, I would recommend Chad Whelan. That was priceless, and I am sincerely grateful. I have never understood why more couples don’t consider videographers to be a necessity among the many vendors they hire for their wedding day. But Chad and his wife make a great professional team, and I would recommend them to any bride and groom looking for that ultimate keepsake.

Sent on 08/21/2014

Jeff · Married on 11/02/2012

Chad was very responsive and so easy to work with. I think one of the main things you could ask for out of a videographer is that you didn't even know he was there and that allowed people to be themselves. Chad was very quick to respond to calls/emails and was a pleasure to work with.

Thanks Chad!

McKenzie and Jeff

Sent on 11/25/2012

Janelle · Married on 04/09/2011

Similar to other brides, we were not going to get a videographer to save money. I am SO happy that we decided to get a video and to have Chad Whelan be the videographer. It was worth EVERY penny! Chad was attentive, professional, thorough and utterly creative!! He captured every major and minute detail, as well as, the emotions and vibe of the day. He produced the video in the timeframe he had promised and made all changes we had requested. Chad incorporated the songs of our choice seamlessly!! I would HIGHLY recommend Chad Whelan!

Sent on 07/31/2011

amanda · Married on 08/22/2009

Chad was wonderful. Very responsive to inquiries and professional throughout the process. We'd highly recommend him.

Sent on 08/24/2009

Anissa · Married on 08/15/2009

Chad is very professional, he showed up on time and captured every detail of our day, he did an outstanding job!! We have watched are video several times and the more we watch the more we love it. I would highly recommend him.

Sent on 02/24/2010

Gillian · Married on 08/14/2009

At first, we were not going to get a wedding videographer in our attempts to save some money, but we are SO glad that we did. After having Chad shoot our wedding and watching the video he put together for us, we've moved "wedding video" into the "must-have" category of wedding planning. Chad did such an excellent job. He was polite, accommodating and professional throughout the entire process, capturing all the important moments without "getting in the way" - and that's exactly what you want in a videographer. As for the video, everyone who has watched it so far has cried! We told Chad what songs we wanted in the background and he put everything together perfectly and seamlessly. Our songs are in the background of the "getting ready" phase, and then we've got live coverage of the ceremony and reception. He even made a short 4-minute version of the video for us to post on Facebook etc. He incorporated just the right amount of special effects, and captured all the key moments of our wedding at a really affordable price. Pictures are important, but with our wedding video, we are forever able to laugh and cry at things that photos just don't capture, like watching (and listening) to our first dance all over again, the funny entrance dances made by our bridal party, and listening to us say our vows. On top of all that, we are able to show the video to my family members in Scotland who could not attend our wedding, and we'll be able to show it to our kids one day.

Sent on 01/03/2010

Kristina · Married on 05/26/2013

Chad was excellent. We haven't seen the finished product yet, but he had a "teaser" ready by the day after the wedding, and it is SO CUTE. Chad was on time, professional, and easy to work with. Would definitely recommend.

Sent on 05/28/2013

Alexa · Married on 07/10/2016

Chad and Samantha do a very nice job! Our video was so fun to watch and it was at an affordable price. They listen to your suggestions and make the changes that you want to see. Chad and Samantha were both able to catch our ceremony even though it rained (it was outdoors). It wasn't the most convenient thing to happen during your own ceremony but we still have the video to look back on and the cameras kept rolling regardless of the downpour. Chad was timely with the delivery of the video and he was easy to get in contact with. Definitely a great option if you choose to have a videographer at your wedding! Thank you Chad and Samantha!

Sent on 01/03/2017

Carly · Married on 07/23/2011

1.0

I was more than pleased to find Chad's basic package (which was since changed slightly and increased in price). I felt it was a good deal, and was really going to get me exactly what I wanted - video of the more important elements of the day. The day was going to be filmed by Samantha, however Chad made it seems as though that was just as good. Not only did it take about a month longer than promised to recieve my video, but we were HIGHLY disappointed with the results. The microphones went in and out during the ceremony - which Chad blamed on the fact that my husband preferred to wear his mic on the inside of his jacket. If that was the case, the entire ceremony would have been muffled, or at least muffled at points where he was moving - which was not the case. Also, the entire ceremony was our backsides. I understand one camera does not provide flexibility to move around, however there was ample space in the front of the chuppah off to the sides. Another thing that REALLY upset us was that my husband's thank you speech did not started from the beginning. When I mentioned this to Chad, he blamed this on the band, saying that Samantha did not get enough warning. When my husband took a mic and stood on the center of empty dance floor, that should have been the cue. The first cut of the video had a very long loop of replayed footage. I felt that was something that should have been caught. I'm very disappointed with the video and furthermore with Chad's lack of concern during our emails after seeing the first cut of the video. If I had known that this would be the lack of quality for the money I spent, I would have chosen to spend more money for better quality. I would NOT recommend this vendor

Sent on 01/01/2013

Chad Whelan's reply:

The audio issues mentioned during the ceremony were 100% out of our control. We provide a mic that the groom wears that picks up audio along with an additional ambient microphone in the room. These 2 mics are for our video only and have nothing to do with the amplified sound that a guest hears through the speakers during the ceremony. The mic that was cutting in and out was not ours, it was from the sound system during the ceremony. That is beyond our control and nothing we can do about that. The groom did not want to wear the small mic on the outside of his jacket either that we use. He was told the sound could be muffled wearing it inside the jacket and we did not recommend it. He was okay with that, his decision. To me, as an editor the sound is a bit muffled from that mic. To a bride it may appear okay. Either way this is not the root of the audio problem, it was the other mics mentioned above that were out of our control.

When you have only 1 camera, which our basic package does, you choose the safest angle that guarantees you a good overall view which is normally at the back of the aisle facing the front. This was a Jewish ceremony under a chuppah and there was not a lot of room for her to shoot at all in the front. The angle would have been a risky shot for 1 camera and she was not going to take that chance. With 2 cameras it would have been a different story but when you have only 1 you simply do not take chances of being blocked.

The opening to the speech was missed and we do take full responsibility for that. The speech was pretty impromptu and we were not given a lot of warning, still that is no excuse and we do apologize for missing the opening remarks which was determined to be no more than 2 sentences. The remainder of the speech was captured as was every other speech during the evening.

The replayed footage was an editing error and was corrected with the final copies. This is one reason why we give a preview copy 1st in case any couple would like changes to anything. All of this was promptly addressed in several emails to the bride. It is disheartening to see a negative review from someone who has a very nice video overall. Samantha does great work and the basic package we have allows couples to get a professional HD "documentary style" video at an affordable price.