Catering by Alan Weiss Reviews

37 | Owings Mills, MD

37 Reviews for Catering by Alan Weiss

Catering by Alan Weiss 1
Catering by Alan Weiss 2

I would highly endorse Catering by Alan Weiss for any occasion. Alan provided much more than catering, he acted as wedding coordinator and at times event planner. Alan was very responsive to all of our needs and helped to orchestrate a wonderful evening. The selection and quality of our appetizers, main course and desserts were wonderful and artfully displayed. The serving staff was incredibly polite and helpful. Alan was wonderful to work with for all aspects of our event.

Sent on 04/11/2015

steve · Married on 07/01/2012

Alan's glatt kosher food was wonderful and the service was flawless. All the vendors we selected were recommended by Alan and worked very well with him. We lost power at our synagogue friday night - as did much of the region - and did not have the new venue until 10:30 saturday night for a noon wedding on Sunday. Alan handled it all masterfully. You literally would not have know the event was not planned for this venue - unless you were one of the people we called after midnight to inform you of the change in venue.

Sent on 07/11/2012

Alison · Married on 12/31/2011

Alan and his staff did a wonderful job! I was a little bit nervous when it came to the cake, but Alan went over the top and even gave my husband his own chocolate cake!
    The food at the tasting matched what we had at the wedding!

Sent on 01/17/2012

Rachel · Married on 06/03/2018

Alan did a great job with our wedding and I received many compliments on the kosher food.

Sent on 07/02/2018

Sarah · Married on 06/23/2013

We loved working with Alan. We mixed an Orthodox Jewish family and a Reform Jewish family making for a wedding with some unique needs. Alan not only was up for the challenge but he had fun with it and met all of our wishes and needs (including an ice cream sundae bar). Many members of our family were skeptical of a dairy kosher wedding but we got tons of compliments on the food and nobody went hungry. Our only complaint was a small one -- due to work and school, it is easier for us to talk via e-mail but Alan preferred phone and that didn't always mesh well. But we loved working with Alan and would recommend him in a heartbeat.

Sent on 08/15/2013

Marissa · Married on 09/10/2017

Alan made our special day come together. He offered us advice, took control when things got crazy, and kept us moving. We were reluctant at first about price (the venue had lots of policies about levels of kashrut), but after the event we felt good about the decision to choose this company. All of our guests raved about the food (though we ourselves had little time to eat). The staff were the best, professional and kind, and we are very grateful for their hard work.

Sent on 09/20/2017
  • I

Ira Copeland · Married on 10/14/2018

Working with Alan Weiss Catering

We chose Alan Weiss because of his experience at the Belmont Manor and our experience working with him in the past. The food and the service are always outstanding and the staff are a pleasure to work with.

Sent on 10/18/2018

Ayelet · Married on 08/16/2018

3.5

Alan was not only professionalism since we contacted him to be our caterer for our June, 2018 wedding, but he also accommodating and offered us various different options to make our wedding beautiful. He was also a great advisor throughout the whole wedding process and offered his expertise in the industry throughout every negotiation with our venue and planner. It was such a pleasure working with him!

Sent on 07/23/2018

Nechama · Married on 06/03/2018

Alan catered my son's wedding. It was my first time hosting a wedding and Alan worked with us through every step. Alan helped us through the myriad of choices available to us, and we ended up with a great selections of different foods and a very interesting and good menu. On the day, the food was delicious and the set up was lovely. The food was delicious and so well presented.

Sent on 06/26/2018

Marcia · Married on 09/05/2016

Alan did a great job catering our daughter's wedding at Beth Tfiloh in Baltimore. The food was delicious, the presentation was beautiful, the service was prompt and professional. The sushi station, with four Japanese sushi chefs at the smorg, was a particular crowd pleaser.

Sent on 10/27/2016

Tiffany · Married on 06/03/2018

3.5

Although there were a few issues with service that we communicated and discussed with Alan after our wedding, Catering by Alan Weiss did help make our special day a success despite the POURING RAIN that we had experienced. Alan’s head captain, Jennifer, chef, Teddy, and the team that he had sent to cook, setup, serve, wait, and clean worked EXTREMELY hard to provide us with the best wedding possible under very challenging circumstances, which we are incredibly grateful for. We along with our families had the most wonderful time and a lot of fun, enjoying an abundance of delicious food. One thing we learned from wedding planning with Alan is to make sure that you review your final timeline and ALL details/notes with Alan or whoever will be the head captain at your wedding along with your wedding planner/coordinator well before your big day so that everyone is on the same page. Thank you to Alan, Jennifer, and their staff for making the most important day of our lives a beautiful event!

Sent on 06/25/2018

3.0
      1.5
      3.0
      1.0

I am shocked at the other reviews as my experience was completely different. Alan was disorganized and forgetful. Only 9 days before my wedding he told me that he did not know until that day that my wedding was ending at 10:30 as opposed to 10 and therefore I would be charged an extra $4.50 (which he then changed to $3.75) per person. I reminded him of a previously signed contract and e-mails from January where the 10:30 ending time we discussed. This was one of his many attempts to just get more money out of us for no reason. In the end, I did not pay anything extra per person.

Alan does not provide an itemized invoice. He simply changes the prices as he goes. Unlike other caterers, he will not provide an invoice that says "Appetizer A costs X amount for 200 people" etc. In the end, we got less food than we originally planned and somehow ended up paying a higher price per person (before taxes and gratuity) than originally quoted.

When I asked for an itemized invoice for the alcohol, Alan said he couldn't give me one because he "over orders SO much" so that he never ever runs out of alcohol, which he claimed has not happened since he first started in the business. Sure enough at least 1.5 hours before the end of my wedding (that is the time I found out - I don't know what time it actually happened), the vodka was gone! I said something about it to Alan, at which point he said how much he ordered, as if it was enough. A quick google search indicated that what he ordered definitely was not enough and certainly couldn't be considered "over ordering" for the number of people we had. It is also important to note that we found out after that he ran out of some alcohol at another recent wedding.

If you want to avoid stress, uncertainty, potential contract disputes, and complete disorganization, do yourself a favor and use a different caterer.

Sent on 06/29/2017

Catering by Alan Weiss's reply:

This bride Kelley who is a lawyer, rewrote the contract and changed MY contract from an ending time of 10 PM to 10:30 PM. The goal for her was a free additional half hour which put the entire 30 plus staff staff into overtime and I attempted to charge her for it. I ultimately did not charge her for it when I mentioned to her what she did and which she did not deny, got upset. Yes it got by me and she got away with it and I should have been suspicious when she asked me to countersign the contract which is extremely rare. As uncommon as it is being asked to countersign this was the first time this has happened in my 30 plus years of catering in which t a bride rewrote my contracting time period. I will mention that Kelley's father did not notice it as well when he signed the same contract from 5- 10 PM when changes were made a few weeks before the wedding. I am truly sorry Kelley was unhappy but I believe that it would have been truly impossible to make Kelley happy when I called her out. Towards the end of the night we did run out of vodka and I went to Alonso's Bar to get additional Vodka and the gap without her guests not having vodka was a total of 20 minutes while there was still a full bar with 4 wines, 3 beers and gin, rum, scotch, & bourbon. For 178 guests we went through 26 bottles which is significantly more than what is needed by anyone's normal calculations. Finally, for me this is the first time in my career someone has impugned my reputation and more importantly my integrity. My intention is always to please my clients and I always give 100% towards that goal.