Catered by Design Reviews

90 | Morton Grove, IL

90 Reviews for Catered by Design

90 Catered by Design Reviews

Kay · Married on 08/11/2018

Nikee, Rachel, and the entire Catered by Design team were lovely to work with. Patient, professional, and positive! My emails were answered timely, and, most importantly, our wedding was a huge success. Thank you Nikee and Rachel!

Sent on 08/29/2018

Catered by Design's reply:

Hi Kay! Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure working with you and your family to make your wedding dream come true. Best wishes!

R · Married on 07/14/2018

the food and service was excellent. My daughter and I worked with Nikee and her assistant Rachel . Nikee’s guidance was so helpful.... Catered by Design made our planning so easy . I highly recommend this catering company....

Sent on 07/17/2018

Catered by Design's reply:

It was such a joy to work with you to make your daughter's wedding come to life! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your kind words!

Jori · Married on 07/14/2018

Sam and his team went above and beyond our expectations for my wedding. The night of my wedding, I did not have to worry about anything and they made sure we were all taken care of the entire night. The champagne tree was of course a huge hit, but they surprised us with their amazing set up for desserts. They had us WOWed the entire night. Leading up to the wedding, Sam would answer questions at any time and was easy to get a hold of during the day/night. He was so easy to work with and he made all of my envisions for the night come true. I cannot thank him and his team enough for making my night carefree! I would recommend them to anyone!

Mallory · Married on 06/30/2018

Catered by Design provided a fabulous spread of bunch goodies for our morning wedding. We had a brunch buffet, as well as a yogurt bar, crepe and omelette stations to truly provide our guests a customized menu. Our guests loved the food and we got a ton of positive feedback about the menu. Best of all, my husband and I got to enjoy the food, too. Our entire experience with Catered by Design from the tasting to the big day was fantastic. Matt Gray was our point person and was reliable, responsive to all of our questions, and easy-going. I will definitely be using Catered by Design again for future events.

Sent on 07/07/2018

Catered by Design's reply:

We are so thrilled you & your guests enjoyed your brunch wedding! It was our pleasure to be apart of your special day and wish you all the best!

Nicole · Married on 06/22/2018

All I can say is WOW!! First working with our coordinator Nikee who was excellent throughout the entire time. She represented the outstanding company more than words can describe. She also helped with the back up plan for rain, which did occur, but we were prepared. The day of the captain Laura and her team were outstanding! Laura was so helpful and kept me in the loop. They made my wedding so beautiful, more than I could imagine and for that I'm so grateful. I highly recommend this company and if you want top notch friendly service!

Sent on 07/09/2018

Catered by Design's reply:

Thank you for your kind words. We always are prepared with a back up option, just in case! . It was a pleasure working with you both and we wish you the very best!

Suz · Married on 06/10/2018

For years, we’ve used Catered by Design for events our family has hosted from birthdays and graduation parties to holiday celebrations.We also as board members of assorted high school organizations and church events, repeatedly told others of the amazing qualities Sam Gray, owner and culinary chef extraordinaire, of this superior catering company, has offered. They offer outstanding food presented in stellar fashion with warm enthusiastic wait staff.

As if there could be no culinary experience beyond those we’ve already mentioned, our youngest daughter was married June 10, 2018 and our amazing venue at Cheney Mansion in Oak Park, could not have been more elegant and scrumptious, thanks again to Sam Gray and his staff. Sam’s artistic flair makes his food exquisite in appearance and far surpasses any catered foods we’ve ever experienced. Whether it was the transparent wall that brought colorful appetizers to the patio while accompanied by a striking copper tree that displayed champagne goblets for toasting, or the mirrored platters suspended mid-air in the atrium that offered mouthwatering hispanic treats of guacamole and chips, spiralized cold wraps, and outstanding chicken fajitas, guests were amazed by more surprises as they travelled through each room in the mansion. The smashed potato bar served in martini glasses, was gorgeous as well as appetizing, with its choice of sweet potatoes and russetts and enticing platters of luscious toppings from nuts to chives, marshmallows and so much more, while the carving station elegantly offered top sirloin carved to guests’ requests.

Catered By Design is worth every penny of the expense involved and NEVER disappoints. If elegance and uncomparable flavor is your goal, stop looking. You have found it in this reputable group of people and their products! These are experienced professionals who offer the best in food and service!
    Ultra satisfied repeat customers, Roger and Suzanne Stevens

Catered by Design 1
    Catered by Design 2
    Catered by Design 3
    Catered by Design 4

Madeline · Married on 06/09/2018

We were so fortunate to have Catered by Design cater our wedding... everything was absolutely unbelievable! Sam Gray is incredibly easy to work with and knows his stuff - the staff on the day of was also fantastic and everything went extremely well! We asked this staff/team a lot when we asked them to serve us at our new venue... and they did an amazing job. The food itself is outstanding - after the tasting, we just couldn't wait to have it all again. The bar set up was great, there was never a big line, and the bartenders worked hard for us/our guests the whole night! The desserts and setup were great too - people loved the sundae station and mini dessert trio. Late night snacks were of course a big hit as well. This company is a dream to work with - they go above and beyond. They were a big part of why our wedding went so perfectly - we are still receiving compliments about the food, and I know we loved every aspect that Catered By Design brought to our wedding.

Sent on 06/18/2018

Catered by Design's reply:

We were so honored to be apart of your big day and thankful that you and your guests enjoyed! Thank you so much for the opportunity and we wish you a lifetime of happiness!

Gretchen · Married on 06/02/2018

Catered by Design exceeded our expectations with exemplary service both before and during the event. From the beginning, Nikee was amazing to work with. She is attentive, communicative and an absolute expert in the industry. She provided invaluable support and advice through the process not only when creating a catering plan but also looking at the event as a whole. She openly communicates with all involce, including other vendors. I don't think I could have done it without her. She knows her stuff! After our tasting, we felt extremely confident in the quality of the food as well as the service. On the day of our wedding reception, Catered by Design took it to a whole new level. Wanda, our Captain, was extremely considerate of our needs and constantly checked in with myself and my husband to make sure everything was going according to plan. We recevied endless compliments on the the food and service. Catered by Design also assisted with the design aesthetic of the event and brought our vision to life with linens, rentals, etc.! I cannot rave about Nikee and her team enough. We were blown away and I would highly recommend them for all your catering needs. We were thrilled with our vendors, however, Catered by Design really made everything happen. We owe them our sincerest thanks!

Ben and Rebecca · Married on 02/17/2018

We had a great time working with Matt from Catered by Design for our wedding. The food and staff were great and reasonably priced. We had a bit of a scheduling issue with our space that we rented but were reassured when Matt said he would have enough staff on hand that if it was a problem they would make sure it got taken care of which was a great relief for us. We would definitely recommend CBD for event work for any occasion.

Thanks Matt!

• Danielle

Danielle · Married on 09/15/2017

Where do I even start?! From the staff, to the food, to the presentation...everything was top notch!! Just about every minute of the night we had guests coming up to tell us that it was the most beautiful wedding they have ever been to. We STILL have guests raving about how amazing the food was! Sam Gray was an absolute pleasure to work with during the planning process and the staff the day of the event was incredible. I did not have a wedding planner and had a lot of DIY decorations that I had created. Sam's team helped set everything up exactly the way I wanted. In fact, the setup looked even BETTER than I had imagined! Not only is their food insanely good, Catered by Design really goes the extra mile for their clients with their presentation and accommodations. I honestly cannot say enough wonderful things about Catered by Design. Thank you for making my wedding an absolute dream!!

Sent on 10/05/2017

Catered by Design's reply:

Hi Danielle, Thank you so much for your kind words! It is always very exciting for us to see your vision come to life. It was a pleasure working with you and your fiancée and we hope our paths cross again! Best wishes for the future!

Joann · Married on 09/09/2017

Catered by Design was fantastic! Everything went seamless and stress-free... exactly what a bride needs on her wedding day! Sam Gray was a pleasure to work with. He was responsive and helpful leading up to the wedding. And the food and service on the wedding day were phenomenal! The staff went above and beyond to help us - they even arranged our center pieces, pictures, and name cards. They were always there when you needed them, but not obvious or in the way. The setup was stunning, and the food was delicious!

Sent on 11/09/2017
    Catered by Design 5
    Catered by Design 6
    Catered by Design 7
    Catered by Design 8
    Catered by Design 9
    Catered by Design 10

Catered by Design's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind review along with photos! It was a pleasure getting to know you both during this exciting process and I wish you nothing but the best for your future together!

Shira · Married on 08/05/2017

My husband and I are so happy that we chose Catered By Design for our wedding day! It was an absolute pleasure working with Sam throughout the entire process. He is friendly, accommodating, patient, and a true professional who knows every aspect of the business like the back of his hand. Somehow we were able to create a menu that catered to all of our guests, from the picky eaters to the gourmet foodies. The choices are not only interesting and thoughtful but incredibly delicious. It is apparent that their food sources and vendors are of the highest quality.

Sent on 08/27/2017

Catered by Design's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind words Shira! It was a pleasure working with you and your husband to create a menu that was custom to you both. Best of luck in your future!

Anton · Married on 07/23/2017

We recently had the pleasure of using Catered by Design for our wedding at the Redfield Estate in Glenview, and could not be more pleased. First, every one of the guests we spoke with - literally, EVERYONE - complimented each and every element of the Catered by Design performance. The food was certainly the most-mentioned star, but the professionalism and hustle of the staff was pointed out by many of our attendees. Personally, working with with Nikee (Event coordinator), Wanda (on-site Captain) and Karen (lead bartender) and everyone else I was able to meet was simple for me. They were quick with answers to my questions, solutions to my requests, and their smiles never faded. There were no complaints or sour faces or frustrations evident on anyone - despite the downpours during setup and the heat of the day. So...we HIGHLY recommend!

Susan · Married on 07/01/2017

From start to finish we had a phenomenal experience with Catered by Design, the exclusive caterer for our venue, Winnetka Community House. Nikee, the event specialist, was so easy to talk to, professional, and answered dozens of questions I threw at her at our initial meeting. Throughout planning, she was incredibly responsive, helpful, and flexible. We asked for a custom buffet menu, incorporating Mexican dishes like tacos and elote to highlight my fiance’s background. They accommodated everything, I couldn’t believe it! People don’t usually associate Mexican food with fine dining- it can easily seem like it’s from a box instead of the homemade goodness we know it can be. We were blown away by the tasting- everything was flavorful and amazing including the hor d’oeuvres.

Everyone at our wedding loved the food- kids, adults, both sides of the family. I didn’t expect to interact with the servers (imagined I’d be running around all evening) but I did and they were SO nice! Someone brought us a plate of hor d’ouevres right after we walked down the aisle (SCORE) and came to our table at dinner to make sure we had everything we needed. Our guests noticed how friendly the staff were and how it seemed like they were having a good time. That’s amazing customer service- I know I don’t always look happy when I’m working hard! One tip I would have with the buffet- it took a lot longer than we thought it would. Probably a good hour for 120 people to get food, when we thought they’d be done eating within an hour. I’d think through that a little more if I did it over again. Overall, we can’t recommend Nikee and CBD enough and are so grateful they were a part of our wedding!

Stephanie · Married on 06/17/2017

Catered by Design was a pleasure to work with for our June 2017 wedding at Bridgeport Art Center. They were always very quick to respond to emails and phone calls, and the food was absolutely amazing! We had several guests rave about it for weeks after the wedding. Another thing that we loved was their presentation of all of the food. They made all of the displays look beautiful. Thank you Catered by Design!

Christine · Married on 04/01/2017

We are extremely pleased with the service we received from Catered by Design. The food was fantastic! Numerous gueats told us that it was the best food they've ever had at a wedding. They were very responsive and flexible!

We would definitely recommend Catered by Design!!

Shawna · Married on 10/08/2016

We can not say enough great things about this catering company. We worked closely with Nikee. Nikee was such a pleasure to work with! She was so personable and easy to work with it felt more like planning a wedding with a friend! She helped customize every bit of our wedding! She was so attentive and responsive to our every need! And the food + service at our wedding.... WOW! We felt like kings and queens! The food was out of this world we got so many compliments about how great it was and how people have never had such great food at a wedding before. Everything was so seamless and perfect! We highly recommend Catered by Design for a personalized, unique wedding!

Elizabeth · Married on 10/01/2016

We used Catered By Design for our October 2016 backyard wedding and I would highly recommend them for any type of event. We had a wonderful experience from start to finish. The food was excellent and we had many compliments from our guests. The quality was great, the presentation was even very nice, and most importantly, the food was super tasty. Even leftovers were still so delicious. The chicken mascarpone and redskin mashed potatoes were amazing! It definitely wasn't your typical wedding food. The staff was very professional and easy to work with. They were very helpful throughout the whole planning process. Catered By Design helped make our day special and gave us an unforgettable experience!

• Susie

Susie · Married on 08/20/2016

My husband and I only had four months to plan our August wedding. We happened by chance to consider renting the affordable Glenview Park District building to use the lake as a backdrop for our ceremony. Catered by Design is their exclusive caterer but we couldn’t have chosen better.

We were lucky to work with owner Sam Gray, who kindly met with us a couple times to ensure we could have the wedding we wanted. He was cordial, helpful, and patient from the beginning. He listened to our preferences and never tried to steer us in any other direction or to “up sell” anything. His integrity and pride in his company made us feel safe and happy in our choice of venue and caterer.

Our wedding day turned out to be rainy and stormy but as it cleared up in the afternoon, Sam worked with my husband to help us keep the outdoor ceremony we preferred. It was splendid and I was truly in awe when I arrived.

His service staff was also excellent. Of course my groom and I were kind of stunned and not paying attention to the timing of things, so server captain Laura gently reminded us to cut cake, start dancing, etc., so we wouldn’t fall too far behind. She even helped to keep an eye on my dog who was outside the wedding on the patio. Our families were really impressed by her professional and helpful manner. The servers were also attentive but unobtrusive, quietly keeping things running smoothly. The bar was ready for great service throughout cocktail hour and reception. The food was beautiful and came out at just the right times, and they even saved hors d'oeuvres from the cocktail hour for the busy bridal party!

What can I say? Sam and his staff truly catered to the design of what we wanted for our wedding day. We did not hire a wedding planner but thanks to CBD we didn’t really need to. It speaks volume of the staff that there really isn’t a thing we would change about the day that we had and I’m so thankful to have worked with such a great catering team!

Nicole · Married on 08/12/2016

The venue that I picked gave me a list of preferred caterers. We had our first meeting with Mallory and loved them! We ended up working with Nikee and she is amazing! Made us feel like our wedding was the only thing she had to do and answered all my questions very timely. I highly recommend using them. We are still getting compliments on how great the food was. Will definitely use them again

Pearl · Married on 07/09/2016

I am so happy that we went with Catered By Design for my daughter's wedding. Sam Gray was very professional and was always available for any questions. The food and service were very good. The guests especially loved the appetizers and of course the beverage tree was a big hit. Highly recommended.

Chelsea · Married on 07/02/2016

We were absolutely thrilled with our service from Catered by Design! The owner, Sam, was so accommodating and responsive. Our wedding was in my backyard (down a big hill) which could have been very challenging for a catering company, but he came to my house twice to assess everything we would need to pull it off. We also wanted to serve Shrimp n' Grits- which they had never served before- but they went above and beyond to make sure it tasted exactly the way we wanted. The servers and bartenders were excellent and very professional. Sam's responsiveness to all of my questions assured me that we were in great hands. I absolutely recommend Catered by Design!!

Nancy · Married on 06/04/2016

My daughter was married in June at The Lakeview Room in Glenview. Catered by Design is their exclusive caterer. The setting was beautiful with floor to ceiling windows that overlooked the lake and the pretty patio with fountain and flowers as a backdrop. From the very beginning our experience with Catered by Design was professional and perfect as we began our wedding adventure with the informative and fun tasting party we had to make our menu selections for the big day. So many options were presented, with a photo slide show from other events, and the chefs on premise to help guide us to our final celebration dinner choices. The wedding evening went flawlessly from the beautifully presented hand served hors d'oeuvres and the sparkling champagne tree at the cocktail hour to the individually plated - we had three entrees - dinners to the gorgeous floating dessert & sweet tables. The gourmet food was as delicious as it was pretty and served hot. The service was impeccable and friendly with smiles all around. We did not want the evening to end.

Margaret · Married on 08/23/2015

Catered By Design had a huge role in creating our joyful and enjoyable wedding! We had a great time! The venue we selected had CBD on their list of preferred providers, and having worked with them in planning the food, beverages and layout/look of our event, we know why they are "preferred." After our guests had left and we were driving away to go on our honeymoon, we were floating on a cloud because everything went SO well. What a fantastic feeling to know that you have chosen to collaborate with a group of people who will do their very best to make your vision come to life. Nikee and Mallory were great to work with...very responsive, very patient (I ask a lot of questions and need detailed answers), very thorough AND very confident in their colleagues' professionalism, adaptability, and pleasant demeanor. They made it clear, by their behavior toward us and their obvious interest in making things happen as we hoped, that we could leave it in their hands once we had asked the last question and planned the last plan, and it would turn out great. And it did! This company really knows its business. We had a lovely buffet luncheon with delicious food presented beautifully, including an array of passed appetizers in the preceding cocktail hour. There were, happily, no food surprises on the wedding day, as we had had a wonderful tasting experience months before, and all turned out as expected, which put us at our ease. The staff for the event was unobtrusive, efficient, good-natured and welcoming...couldn't have asked for better. Their adaptability and preparedness helped us get around a weather issue in the morning, and our outdoor ceremony moved successfully indoors at the last moment. All day, we could enjoy our guests and our experience without "attending" to anything. They just made it happen around us, which really made the day. Thank you to everyone at Catered By Design who participated in our wedding event. You are great!