87 Reviews for Catered by Design

Signature Drink (1)
Specialty Beer (1)
Specialty Wine (1)
86 Catered by Design Reviews

the food and service was excellent. My daughter and I worked with Nikee and her assistant Rachel . Nikee’s guidance was so helpful.... Catered by Design made our planning so easy . I highly recommend this catering company....

Profile Picture R, 7/14/18, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

Catered by Design provided a fabulous spread of bunch goodies for our morning wedding. We had a brunch buffet, as well as a yogurt bar, crepe and omelette stations to truly provide our guests a customized menu. Our guests loved the food and we got a ton of positive feedback about the menu. Best of all, my husband and I got to enjoy the food, too. Our entire experience with Catered by Design from the tasting to the big day was fantastic. Matt Gray was our point person and was reliable, responsive to all of our questions, and easy-going. I will definitely be using Catered by Design again for future events.

Profile Picture Mallory, 6/30/18, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

All I can say is WOW!! First working with our coordinator Nikee who was excellent throughout the entire time. She represented the outstanding company more than words can describe. She also helped with the back up plan for rain, which did occur, but we were prepared. The day of the captain Laura and her team were outstanding! Laura was so helpful and kept me in the loop. They made my wedding so beautiful, more than I could imagine and for that I'm so grateful. I highly recommend this company and if you want top notch friendly service!

Profile Picture Nicole, 6/22/18, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning
Services Used: Bartender(s), Open Bar, Outside Alcohol, Buffet, Cake, Clean Up, Set Up, Italian, No Pork, Vegetarian

We were so fortunate to have Catered by Design cater our wedding... everything was absolutely unbelievable! Sam Gray is incredibly easy to work with and knows his stuff - the staff on the day of was also fantastic and everything went extremely well! We asked this staff/team a lot when we asked them to serve us at our new venue... and they did an amazing job. The food itself is outstanding - after the tasting, we just couldn't wait to have it all again. The bar set up was great, there was never a big line, and the bartenders worked hard for us/our guests the whole night! The desserts and setup were great too - people loved the sundae station and mini dessert trio. Late night snacks were of course a big hit as well. This company is a dream to work with - they go above and beyond. They were a big part of why our wedding went so perfectly - we are still receiving compliments about the food, and I know we loved every aspect that Catered By Design brought to our wedding.

Profile Picture Madeline, 6/9/18, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Cake Cutting, Custom Menu, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Nut Free, Vegetarian

Catered by Design exceeded our expectations with exemplary service both before and during the event. From the beginning, Nikee was amazing to work with. She is attentive, communicative and an absolute expert in the industry. She provided invaluable support and advice through the process not only when creating a catering plan but also looking at the event as a whole. She openly communicates with all involce, including other vendors. I don't think I could have done it without her. She knows her stuff! After our tasting, we felt extremely confident in the quality of the food as well as the service. On the day of our wedding reception, Catered by Design took it to a whole new level. Wanda, our Captain, was extremely considerate of our needs and constantly checked in with myself and my husband to make sure everything was going according to plan. We recevied endless compliments on the the food and service. Catered by Design also assisted with the design aesthetic of the event and brought our vision to life with linens, rentals, etc.! I cannot rave about Nikee and her team enough. We were blown away and I would highly recommend them for all your catering needs. We were thrilled with our vendors, however, Catered by Design really made everything happen. We owe them our sincerest thanks!

Profile Picture Gretchen, 6/2/18, 10 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

We had a great time working with Matt from Catered by Design for our wedding. The food and staff were great and reasonably priced. We had a bit of a scheduling issue with our space that we rented but were reassured when Matt said he would have enough staff on hand that if it was a problem they would make sure it got taken care of which was a great relief for us. We would definitely recommend CBD for event work for any occasion.

Thanks Matt!

Profile Picture Ben and Rebecca, 2/17/18, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

Where do I even start?! From the staff, to the food, to the presentation...everything was top notch!! Just about every minute of the night we had guests coming up to tell us that it was the most beautiful wedding they have ever been to. We STILL have guests raving about how amazing the food was! Sam Gray was an absolute pleasure to work with during the planning process and the staff the day of the event was incredible. I did not have a wedding planner and had a lot of DIY decorations that I had created. Sam's team helped set everything up exactly the way I wanted. In fact, the setup looked even BETTER than I had imagined! Not only is their food insanely good, Catered by Design really goes the extra mile for their clients with their presentation and accommodations. I honestly cannot say enough wonderful things about Catered by Design. Thank you for making my wedding an absolute dream!!

Profile Picture Danielle, 9/15/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

Catered by Design was fantastic! Everything went seamless and stress-free... exactly what a bride needs on her wedding day! Sam Gray was a pleasure to work with. He was responsive and helpful leading up to the wedding. And the food and service on the wedding day were phenomenal! The staff went above and beyond to help us - they even arranged our center pieces, pictures, and name cards. They were always there when you needed them, but not obvious or in the way. The setup was stunning, and the food was delicious!

Profile Picture Joann, 9/9/17, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning
Services Used: Clean Up, Set Up, Chairs, Tables, American, Lactose Free, Vegetarian, Buffet, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), Tastings, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, House Beer, House Wine, Open Bar

My husband and I are so happy that we chose Catered By Design for our wedding day! It was an absolute pleasure working with Sam throughout the entire process. He is friendly, accommodating, patient, and a true professional who knows every aspect of the business like the back of his hand. Somehow we were able to create a menu that catered to all of our guests, from the picky eaters to the gourmet foodies. The choices are not only interesting and thoughtful but incredibly delicious. It is apparent that their food sources and vendors are of the highest quality.

Profile Picture Shira, 8/5/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering

We recently had the pleasure of using Catered by Design for our wedding at the Redfield Estate in Glenview, and could not be more pleased. First, every one of the guests we spoke with - literally, EVERYONE - complimented each and every element of the Catered by Design performance. The food was certainly the most-mentioned star, but the professionalism and hustle of the staff was pointed out by many of our attendees. Personally, working with with Nikee (Event coordinator), Wanda (on-site Captain) and Karen (lead bartender) and everyone else I was able to meet was simple for me. They were quick with answers to my questions, solutions to my requests, and their smiles never faded. There were no complaints or sour faces or frustrations evident on anyone - despite the downpours during setup and the heat of the day. So...we HIGHLY recommend!

Profile Picture Anton, 7/23/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

From start to finish we had a phenomenal experience with Catered by Design, the exclusive caterer for our venue, Winnetka Community House. Nikee, the event specialist, was so easy to talk to, professional, and answered dozens of questions I threw at her at our initial meeting. Throughout planning, she was incredibly responsive, helpful, and flexible. We asked for a custom buffet menu, incorporating Mexican dishes like tacos and elote to highlight my fiance’s background. They accommodated everything, I couldn’t believe it! People don’t usually associate Mexican food with fine dining- it can easily seem like it’s from a box instead of the homemade goodness we know it can be. We were blown away by the tasting- everything was flavorful and amazing including the hor d’oeuvres.

Everyone at our wedding loved the food- kids, adults, both sides of the family. I didn’t expect to interact with the servers (imagined I’d be running around all evening) but I did and they were SO nice! Someone brought us a plate of hor d’ouevres right after we walked down the aisle (SCORE) and came to our table at dinner to make sure we had everything we needed. Our guests noticed how friendly the staff were and how it seemed like they were having a good time. That’s amazing customer service- I know I don’t always look happy when I’m working hard! One tip I would have with the buffet- it took a lot longer than we thought it would. Probably a good hour for 120 people to get food, when we thought they’d be done eating within an hour. I’d think through that a little more if I did it over again. Overall, we can’t recommend Nikee and CBD enough and are so grateful they were a part of our wedding!

Profile Picture Susan, 7/1/17, 8 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning
Services Used: Mexican, Clean Up, Set Up, Bartender(s), Open Bar, Chairs, Tables, Buffet, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Custom Menu, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Outside Cake, Server(s), Tastings

Catered by Design was a pleasure to work with for our June 2017 wedding at Bridgeport Art Center. They were always very quick to respond to emails and phone calls, and the food was absolutely amazing! We had several guests rave about it for weeks after the wedding. Another thing that we loved was their presentation of all of the food. They made all of the displays look beautiful. Thank you Catered by Design!

Profile Picture Stephanie, 6/17/17, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

We are extremely pleased with the service we received from Catered by Design. The food was fantastic! Numerous gueats told us that it was the best food they've ever had at a wedding. They were very responsive and flexible!

We would definitely recommend Catered by Design!!

Profile Picture Christine , 4/1/17, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

We can not say enough great things about this catering company. We worked closely with Nikee. Nikee was such a pleasure to work with! She was so personable and easy to work with it felt more like planning a wedding with a friend! She helped customize every bit of our wedding! She was so attentive and responsive to our every need! And the food + service at our wedding.... WOW! We felt like kings and queens! The food was out of this world we got so many compliments about how great it was and how people have never had such great food at a wedding before. Everything was so seamless and perfect! We highly recommend Catered by Design for a personalized, unique wedding!

Profile Picture Shawna, 10/8/16, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

Catered by Design made planning our wedding so much easier and smoother than I thought it would be! We worked with Nikee Fellows and her team at Catered by Design for our wedding in September at the Winnetka Community House. From the very first meeting all the way through to the event itself, everyone we worked with with organized, detail-oriented, responsive, very flexible, and genuinely excited for us! The food was delicious and displayed beautifully (with lots of unique options to pick from), and the staff working at our wedding was so friendly and professional.

With this group on board, you don't need a wedding coordinator! Nikee and our day-of contact, Laura, happily coordinated and directed our other vendors for set up, take down, and answered any questions they had directly. They helped my fiance and I draw up with a realistic timeline for the day, gave us various options for furniture set up in the space, stored decorations we wanted to drop off early (and set them up however we wanted), and kept things running smoothly and on time. Laura checked in with us during the wedding every so often just to ask if we needed anything and to make sure everything was going well. They even thought of the really little things too - like saving some extra hors d'oeuvres from cocktail hour for us to snack on at the head table during toasts.

Honestly, this team made the entire difference when it came to wedding planning. Catered by Design was an easy and really pleasant to work with one-stop shop for our food, bar, cake, and venue coordination. I'll recommend them to all of my friends getting married in the Chicago area!

Thanks again, Nikee and team for making our wedding day so great!

Profile Picture User5470176, 1+ year ago, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

We used Catered By Design for our October 2016 backyard wedding and I would highly recommend them for any type of event. We had a wonderful experience from start to finish. The food was excellent and we had many compliments from our guests. The quality was great, the presentation was even very nice, and most importantly, the food was super tasty. Even leftovers were still so delicious. The chicken mascarpone and redskin mashed potatoes were amazing! It definitely wasn't your typical wedding food. The staff was very professional and easy to work with. They were very helpful throughout the whole planning process. Catered By Design helped make our day special and gave us an unforgettable experience!

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 10/1/16, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

My husband and I only had four months to plan our August wedding. We happened by chance to consider renting the affordable Glenview Park District building to use the lake as a backdrop for our ceremony. Catered by Design is their exclusive caterer but we couldn’t have chosen better.

We were lucky to work with owner Sam Gray, who kindly met with us a couple times to ensure we could have the wedding we wanted. He was cordial, helpful, and patient from the beginning. He listened to our preferences and never tried to steer us in any other direction or to “up sell” anything. His integrity and pride in his company made us feel safe and happy in our choice of venue and caterer.

Our wedding day turned out to be rainy and stormy but as it cleared up in the afternoon, Sam worked with my husband to help us keep the outdoor ceremony we preferred. It was splendid and I was truly in awe when I arrived.

His service staff was also excellent. Of course my groom and I were kind of stunned and not paying attention to the timing of things, so server captain Laura gently reminded us to cut cake, start dancing, etc., so we wouldn’t fall too far behind. She even helped to keep an eye on my dog who was outside the wedding on the patio. Our families were really impressed by her professional and helpful manner. The servers were also attentive but unobtrusive, quietly keeping things running smoothly. The bar was ready for great service throughout cocktail hour and reception. The food was beautiful and came out at just the right times, and they even saved hors d'oeuvres from the cocktail hour for the busy bridal party!

What can I say? Sam and his staff truly catered to the design of what we wanted for our wedding day. We did not hire a wedding planner but thanks to CBD we didn’t really need to. It speaks volume of the staff that there really isn’t a thing we would change about the day that we had and I’m so thankful to have worked with such a great catering team!

Profile Picture Susie, 8/20/16, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning
Services Used: Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Open Bar, Premium Liquor, Signature Drink, Specialty Beer, Specialty Wine, American, French, Nut Free, Vegetarian, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Outside Cake, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, Clean Up, Set Up, Chairs, Tables

The venue that I picked gave me a list of preferred caterers. We had our first meeting with Mallory and loved them! We ended up working with Nikee and she is amazing! Made us feel like our wedding was the only thing she had to do and answered all my questions very timely. I highly recommend using them. We are still getting compliments on how great the food was. Will definitely use them again

Profile Picture Nicole, 8/12/16, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

When we were reviewing catering options over 6 months ago, Catered By Design stood out as our top choice due to the variety of what they were able to offer, as well as the professional contact we had with them, and the quick responses. This was true the entire time leading up to the wedding, as Nikee was constantly checking in with us, ensuring everything needed to be prepped beforehand was ready.
The day-of there was a bit of bad weather, and I'm a bit of a control-freak, but our main caterer Jorge was very accommodating, finding me between events to update on the weather, and whether we could use our outdoor (but covered) seating or move things indoors. Everything turned out amazing, and the time flew by.
Honestly my biggest regret is that we didn't realize how quickly dinner would pass, as everything was delicious (we had carved Roast Beef, Roasted Chicken, and Risotto Cakes on a buffet) and by the time I was ready for seconds, our cake was being brought out.
If I hadn't specifically asked to be consulted at every turn, I have full confidence the Catered By Design Team could have run a fantastic evening without any of my input (I basically only agreed with what they suggested anyway).
All-in-all, Catered By Design handled the Glassware, Linens, Food, Set-Up, Tear-Down, and probably even more Behind the Scenes. An absolute delight to work with.

Photo of our Table Settings (We provided the centerpieces and instructions on how to arrange, and they took care of everything!): https://goo.gl/photos/71dYDcwcJC6bSReT9

Profile Picture Spencer, 7/23/16, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning
Services Used: Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, American, French, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Vegan, Vegetarian, Buffet, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), Stations

I am so happy that we went with Catered By Design for my daughter's wedding. Sam Gray was very professional and was always available for any questions. The food and service were very good. The guests especially loved the appetizers and of course the beverage tree was a big hit. Highly recommended.

Profile Picture User7187275, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Wedding Cake

We were absolutely thrilled with our service from Catered by Design! The owner, Sam, was so accommodating and responsive. Our wedding was in my backyard (down a big hill) which could have been very challenging for a catering company, but he came to my house twice to assess everything we would need to pull it off. We also wanted to serve Shrimp n' Grits- which they had never served before- but they went above and beyond to make sure it tasted exactly the way we wanted. The servers and bartenders were excellent and very professional. Sam's responsiveness to all of my questions assured me that we were in great hands. I absolutely recommend Catered by Design!!

Profile Picture Chelsea, 7/2/16, 10 Reviews
Category: Catering, Wedding Planning

My daughter was married in June at The Lakeview Room in Glenview. Catered by Design is their exclusive caterer. The setting was beautiful with floor to ceiling windows that overlooked the lake and the pretty patio with fountain and flowers as a backdrop. From the very beginning our experience with Catered by Design was professional and perfect as we began our wedding adventure with the informative and fun tasting party we had to make our menu selections for the big day. So many options were presented, with a photo slide show from other events, and the chefs on premise to help guide us to our final celebration dinner choices. The wedding evening went flawlessly from the beautifully presented hand served hors d'oeuvres and the sparkling champagne tree at the cocktail hour to the individually plated - we had three entrees - dinners to the gorgeous floating dessert & sweet tables. The gourmet food was as delicious as it was pretty and served hot. The service was impeccable and friendly with smiles all around. We did not want the evening to end.

Profile Picture Nancy, 6/4/16, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

Catered By Design had a huge role in creating our joyful and enjoyable wedding! We had a great time! The venue we selected had CBD on their list of preferred providers, and having worked with them in planning the food, beverages and layout/look of our event, we know why they are "preferred." After our guests had left and we were driving away to go on our honeymoon, we were floating on a cloud because everything went SO well. What a fantastic feeling to know that you have chosen to collaborate with a group of people who will do their very best to make your vision come to life. Nikee and Mallory were great to work with...very responsive, very patient (I ask a lot of questions and need detailed answers), very thorough AND very confident in their colleagues' professionalism, adaptability, and pleasant demeanor. They made it clear, by their behavior toward us and their obvious interest in making things happen as we hoped, that we could leave it in their hands once we had asked the last question and planned the last plan, and it would turn out great. And it did! This company really knows its business. We had a lovely buffet luncheon with delicious food presented beautifully, including an array of passed appetizers in the preceding cocktail hour. There were, happily, no food surprises on the wedding day, as we had had a wonderful tasting experience months before, and all turned out as expected, which put us at our ease. The staff for the event was unobtrusive, efficient, good-natured and welcoming...couldn't have asked for better. Their adaptability and preparedness helped us get around a weather issue in the morning, and our outdoor ceremony moved successfully indoors at the last moment. All day, we could enjoy our guests and our experience without "attending" to anything. They just made it happen around us, which really made the day. Thank you to everyone at Catered By Design who participated in our wedding event. You are great!

Profile Picture Margaret, 8/23/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

There are caterers, and there are good caterers, and then there is Catered By Design. Catered By Design is head and shoulders above all others. I cannot recommend them highly enough! They were easy to deal with, had great consultative ideas, food that was awesome, portions that were huge, and service that was impeccable. Sam, the owner, had great ideas to make the presentations beautiful and serving flow so smoothly we didn't have to give it a thought. Laura was in charge of the food service (outdoor wedding in our backyard for 155 people) and she was amazing and her attention to detail was perfect. It was a flawless performance and oh ya, did I forget to mention the food flavors? They were spot on, mouthwatering, and delicious. We had many people say to us (we are the parents of the bride) it was the best wedding food they had ever had. Desserts were outstanding and I could have eaten them all night long. I highly recommend you call them for your wedding (or events) if you live in the Chicago area. Simply Magnificent!

Profile Picture Jim, 8/1/15, 1 Review