Cakes by Gray Reviews

53 | Asheville, NC

53 Reviews for Cakes by Gray

Ashley B. · Married on 03/14/2020

Cake was just as beautiful as it was delicious!

Melissa did such a great job with our wedding cake! We knew we wanted to work with her from the time we met her at our tasting. She had so many great ideas and everything was so good. On the day of our wedding, we had left some fresh roses for her to add to the cake when she dropped it off. As a nervous bride, I told her to do whatever she wanted, and the cascade she came up with was much better than anything I could have suggested. It looked so perfect! And, just as important, our guests couldn't stop commenting on how delicious it was! A great experience all around!

Sent on 04/21/2020
  • Nicole

Nicole · Married on 10/04/2019

Unique flavors!! Talented baker!!

Melissa from Cakes by Gray is such a talented baker and has some of the most interesting flavors for wedding cakes! Our tasting with her was so fun and delicious! When it came time to selecting our cake flavors, we opted to do a strawberry cake with a basil filling for one tier and an almond cake with pear purée and cinnamon filling for the other tier. I loved that we were able to incorporate so many amazing flavors into our cake! We also decided to do a little dessert bar of mini pecan pies, chocolate peanut butter shooters (my husband’s personal favorite), vanilla chai cake pops, and rainbow cookie donuts (a creation my husband personally requested...our guests absolutely loved them!!). Now that the wedding is over, I can say that not only were all the desserts displayed in such an aesthetically pleasing way, but everything tasted so delicious as well!! I highly recommend Melissa!!

Sent on 10/08/2019
  • Jordan

Jordan · Married on 05/04/2019

Perfect Grooms Cake!

Cakes by Gray delivered exactly what I was looking for in a groom's cake. My husband was very specific on what he wanted, and Melissa definitely delivered! For anyone wanting a super unique cake, I would definitely recommend Cakes by Gray!

Sent on 07/01/2019
  • mdaveasey

Melissa · Married on 11/17/2018

So creative, so memorable!

Melissa is such a treat (ha!) to work with. From our cupcake tasting, it was clear we were working with an inventive, enthusiastic spirit. Initially, I assumed we'd choose a couple of cupcake flavors and move on, but we ended up with 5! and they were all such a hit. Our couple's cake was a strawberry-lemon concoction, which is my all-time favorite. We can't wait to have the rest on our anniversary. Melissa's set up was beautiful, incorporating our topper and greenery from our florist into a gorgeous tablescape. Cakes by Gray will be hearing from us for birthdays, etc. long into the future. (Picture with Wall-E and Eva courtesy of Amber Greene Photography)

Sent on 12/17/2018
  • Meg

Meg · Married on 10/13/2018

Geode Masterpiece and Delicious Cake

We met Melissa of Cakes by Gray during our whirlwind wedding planning over the last winter holidays. She had set up a beautiful cake tasting for us at Engaged Asheville and we were blown away by her flavors!

As we talked to her about our vision of a geode cake her eyes grew wide and she said can I show you something. We said of course! She shared a picture of an EPIC geode cake and I was in love. This cake was a challenge especially for an 150 person wedding but she was excited to create this one of a kind work of art!

She did not disappoint! Not only did we have a one of a kind geode masterpiece as a focal point of our wedding but the CAKE TASTED AMAZING! All the guests said it was the BEST CAKE THEY HAVE EVER HAD! People were eating multiple pieces and loving the unique flavor combinations.

She really went above and beyond to make our cake a work of art from a visual and culinary experience. THANK YOU!

Sent on 10/21/2018

Gabby · Married on 05/20/2018

Melissa Gray made an incredible selection of cakes and cupcakes for our wedding. The presentation was beautiful and the cake was delicious. We also really enjoyed the tasting she organized for us to select different flavor combinations!

Sent on 05/22/2018
  • Brittany

Brittany · Married on 05/19/2018

Fantastic Experience beginning to end!

Melissa made the cake tasting an memorable and exciting experience, which was followed up with an absolutely killer dessert bar, cake, and groom’s cake! She was responsive and flexible to make sure we got exactly what we wanted... and more!

Sent on 03/24/2020

Laura · Married on 05/05/2018

My husband and I did several cake tastings (because....why not??) and we had almost settled on a different baker, but we were able to squeeze in a tasting with Melissa at the last minute, and as soon as we met her I knew we had found the right one! The tasting itself was the best -- she had everything meticulously and beautifully laid out, and we had so much fun trying all the different flavors and fillings and picking our favorites! (Side note, I'm usually not a big fan of buttercream, but I could eat Melissa's by the spoonful.) We ended up getting a bigger cake than we initially wanted, just because it was so delicious and we couldn't narrow down all the flavors we wanted. She offers a lot of flavor options, from the classics to the interesting and unique.

Aside from the cake itself, Melissa was responsive, reliable, super friendly, and accommodating when we changed our minds five times about the size and flavors we wanted. She also worked with us on budget, and nailed the simple and elegant look we wanted. Melissa clearly puts a lot of love into her work and it shows. We couldn't have been happier!

Sent on 05/31/2018

Sue · Married on 05/05/2018

Melissa is SO talented with her creative flavors and designs that I was instantly drawn to her when booking a baker for our wedding. Because we were having a very small and intimate wedding of only 36 guests Melissa gave us a box full of cupcakes for our cake tasting! She not only filled the box with the options we wanted to try but she also gave us many more options of her very best recommendations. I must admit that they were all so very delicious that it made it very hard to choose! We settled on a 3-tiered marble and red velvet "naked" cake. The top and bottom tiers were marble and the middle tier was red velvet, all covered in buttercream icing. We also had Melissa make caramel-dipped Granny Smith apples for us and our guests as a delicious wedding favor. We received so many compliments over how beautiful the cake was and how delicious the cake and the apples were! I'm so glad I stumbled upon Melissa and were able to book her for our most important and special day. Thank you Melissa!!

Sent on 05/12/2018

Shannon · Married on 04/07/2018

We absolutely fell in love with Melissa and her baking. For our wedding, we opted for a dessert bar. She hit it out of the park with cake pops, mini cupcakes (with wonderful flavors...the chocolate cake w/ lavender icing is a must!), lemon bars, mini tarts, cookies. She also made my husband and I our own desserts (banana pudding for him and a dark chocolate and orange pudding for me). Both were outstanding. We were so busy at the wedding that we didn't get to taste them until after and we were in heaven! Melissa's goodies are creative, well thought out, and so delicious. Everyone was very happy and more importantly, my husband and I were very pleased and satisfied.

Sent on 04/17/2018

Rod · Married on 10/31/2017

Great look. Great taste. Definitely will use Melissa in the future.

Sent on 11/13/2017

Cakes by Gray's reply:

Thanks Rod! We are so glad you loved it! Cheers!

Latasha · Married on 10/28/2017

Cakes by Gray was the most amazing wedding cake I could've dreamed of! The taste was so amazing and the look OMG!! On my wedding day I didn't want to cut the cake because it was so beautiful I was yell9at "cut the cake"!! It was so hard because it truly was a piece of art!! Thank you for making my dream cone true!!

Sent on 10/31/2017

Cakes by Gray's reply:

Latasha, we are so glad that you enjoyed it so much! It was one of my favorites to make, and truly beautiful. I hope to work with you in the future!

Megan · Married on 10/28/2017

Cakes by Gray was and is amazing. Our wedding cake was as unique as it was tasty! Four tiers, each featuring very different flavors. My advice, listen to Melissa and her flavor suggestions will take you on a journey you will never regret!

Sent on 10/31/2017

Cakes by Gray's reply:

Megan, thank you so much for your kind words. This cake is one of my favorites to make with is simple design and killer flavors. Thank you for letting me make some delicious cake for you, and I wish you both a lifetime of happiness!

Michael · Married on 10/23/2017

Cakes by Gray made a beautiful gluten free rev velvet cake for my wife and I's wedding. The cake looked exactly like the picture we sent. And by the way, the cake was DELICIOUS! 10/10 would recommend Cake by Gray for your wedding!

Sent on 10/30/2017

Cakes by Gray's reply:

Michael, thank you so much for the opportunity. I know a lot of couple think they have to sacrifice flavor with dietary restrictions, and I am more than happy to blow that stereotype out of the water! I am so glad you enjoyed it, and I hope to work with you again in the future!

Amber · Married on 10/07/2017

Melissa was absolutely amazing! She was so helpful and flexible and everything turned out perfect!!

Sent on 10/16/2017

Cakes by Gray's reply:

So glad you enjoyed it! I truly enjoyed working with you on your event.

Jenny · Married on 10/07/2017

Cakes by Gray/Melissa are absolutely top notch. We ordered mini cheesecakes and a cutting cake for our wedding and they were such a hit! Total deliciousness. Melissa and her staff were great to work with, very responsive, and reliable. I feel fortunate to have been able to book her for the wedding! She is an artist :)

Sent on 10/23/2017

Cakes by Gray's reply:

Jenny, thank you so much for allowing us to be a part of your special day! And can I just say, I am a huge fan of the Jack and Sally theme! Cheers to you both!

Shannon · Married on 09/25/2017

What other word can I use besides AMAZING! From the cupcakes (bridal shower and rehearsal dinner) to our gorgeous multi-tier multi-flavored wedding cake, it was DELICIOUS! We had so many compliments from our guests! From the time my fiancee (now husband) and I met Melissa, I felt like we clicked as she knew what we wanted. Her house smells like cake. So inviting! Her buttercream icings were amazing especially the basil buttercream which was a favorite of mine. She gave great recommendations on flavor combinations. We also went outside the box in guessing some flavor combinations and they were delicious as well as she makes a great product. We are were very much against fondant and her homemade marshmallow fondant was amazing and we used it on our cake! She replicated the picture from pinterest of our wedding cake to the tee! She was very accommodating to our schedule. She was prompt with delivery. I don't have enough great things to say. I will continue to use Melissa and Cakes by Gray for all my cake and cupcakes baking needs!

Sent on 09/26/2017

Allison · Married on 09/22/2017

I had some last minute changes in my wedding and I was frantically looking for someone to accommodate. Melissa and her staff were absolutely wonderful! They communicated in a prompt and professional manner. They answered all my questions and assured everything would be perfect! They delivered the cake on time, it was absolutely stunning, and incredibly delicious! At the risk of being repetitive, Cakes by Grey is wonderful! I highly recommend using Cakes by Grey for your wedding.

Sent on 10/06/2017

Cakes by Gray's reply:

Allison, the pleasure was ours! Your design was beautiful and you were a joy to work with. We are so happy that you enjoyed everything, and we hope to work with you again soon!

Laura · Married on 09/16/2017

Cakes by Gray was everything we could of dreamed of and more. We ended up getting a 4 tiered cake with 5 different types of desserts including pies, cookies, brownies, and tartlets. The reason we ended up booking with Gray was because her cake tasting was like nothing we had experienced. Most cake venders make you try a selection of there most popular cakes like basic vanilla and chocolate and the icing and filling are already paired with the cakes. But this is not how Cakes by Gray did it. She had a lovely variety of different cakes, fillings, and custards and she would tell us to pair them together in a variety of combinations. Her unique pairings like lemon filling icing and chocolate cake and use of fresh ingredients is what sold us. She was even willing to make old family recipes at our request! The day of our wedding she arrived on time and prepared. The cake and desserts were exactly as we hoped and guests raved about how good they were. Not even a single cookie was left! We would recommend Cakes by Gray to anyone and everyone getting married in the Asheville area!

Sent on 09/21/2017

Cakes by Gray's reply:

Laura, thank you so much for such an amazing review! You both were such a joy to work with, and I am beyond ecstatic that you all loved everything so much! I wish you both a lifetime of happiness and I hope to work with you again in the future!

Brittany · Married on 09/09/2017

I couldn't have asked for a better cake! She went above and beyond. Our cake was perfect and delicious!

Sent on 09/28/2017

Nicki · Married on 09/09/2017

Remember to save a peice for yourselves!

Sent on 09/30/2017

Julianna · Married on 09/02/2017

Delicious cakes and beautiful! Melissa was able to create our design from my sketch and the final product was spot on! We were so happy!

Sent on 09/05/2017

Cakes by Gray's reply:

Thank you so much for choosing to work with me! I loved the unique design and the opportunity to be creative. I am so happy you loved everything and I hope to work with you again in the future!

Christina · Married on 09/02/2017

Melissa was such a blessing! She did a complete dessert bar and cake for my wedding and everything was amazing! I am not a huge sweets fan but her cake flavors brought the best of both worlds! She would incorporate herbs into her buttercream's to create a explosion of flavor. Our guests LOVED every dessert! Thank you so much Melissa!

Sent on 09/05/2017

Cakes by Gray's reply:

Christina, the pleasure was mine! I am so happy you all loved everything, and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review! Cheers to you both!

Emily · Married on 08/19/2017

All of the guests were beyond impressed with our wedding desserts! Aside from everything being delicious, she also had them displayed in the most beautiful way. The cake was gorgeous but the macarons may have stolen the show!

Sent on 08/25/2017

Cakes by Gray's reply:

Emily, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review. I am so glad you loved everything! Don't tell anyone, but I think macarons are my favorite as well... I hope to have the opportunity to work with you again!

Julian · Married on 08/19/2017

Melissa was wonderful to work with and her desserts were fantastic! Honestly the best cake I've ever had

Sent on 08/31/2017

Cakes by Gray's reply:

Julian, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review. You were a pleasure to work with, and I hope to have the opportunity to work with you in the future!