Cakes and Candies by Maryellen Reviews

Cakes and Candies by Maryellen 1
  • Alyssa

Alyssa · Married on 09/28/2018

Super Kind, Super Helpful

When we went to our cake tasting at Cakes and Candies we had no idea if we were going to have her make our cake, until we tried the first bite. It was amazing, and there were so many options with every cake being able to be paired with so many fillings. When we finished tasting, we had no idea what kind of cake we wanted, but she had been making mental notes of how we reacted and told us what she thought we may like best for each individual tier of our cake. She also was able to incorporate Disney, a personal favorite of mine, in a not too subtle but not in your face sort of way. We loved her!

Sent on 11/27/2018

Jessica · Married on 10/22/2017

Maryellen did our cake and cupcakes for our wedding last weekend and it was a huge hit. From the tasting, to the day of, Maryellen was responsive and worked diligently to accommodate our requests. We ended up doing a cake, as well as a mini-cupcake bar with 7 different types of cupcakes and they were devoured by our guests. Everyone from our wedding has said that they were the most delicious cupcakes they had ever had and repeatedly asked for the name of the bakery. I would recommend Maryellen for any cake and cupcake needs!

Cakes and Candies by Maryellen 2
    Sent on 10/29/2017
  • Jill

Jill · Married on 08/05/2016

Maryellen is amazing!!!! She is so full of energy and so accommodating to whatever you could dream of! She is doing cake pops as our favors for our Wedding August 5th. They are sooooo good and look awesome as well! It is the perfect favor and we are very excited to have them on our special day! We highly recommend her for cake/favor needs!

Sent on 05/06/2016

The tasting was great! We chose all our favorites. We wanted something different for our cake and Mary Ellen delivered! Our three layers were all different and tasted great! Thanks Mary Ellen!!

Sent on 11/19/2015

Absolutely love the customer service and amazing work that they do at this bakery. We were given great suggestions on ideas to make our cake all that we want it to be, and we are getting our favors done here too!

Sent on 05/20/2015

Jeff · Married on 07/17/2015

We approached Mary Ellen about doing a non-traditional wedding cake and she helped work with our vision and craft it into something unique and beautiful, perfect for our theme! We loved doing the tasting and were so thrilled with the varieties of great-tasting flavors. We also look forward to getting our 1-year anniversary cake. We have ordered cakes from Mary Ellen before and were quite happy to have her provide for our wedding.

Sent on 08/26/2015

I selected Cakes and Candies by MaryEllen for our wedding cake, as well as cake pop wedding favors for guests at the table. I highly recommend MaryEllen for cakes and treats for your wedding and/or special event. Her cakes are moist, very tasty, and absolutely beautiful.

For our wedding cake, during our tasting appointment, I showed MaryEllen a couple of different styles of wedding cakes that I liked from bridal magazines. She asked a couple of questions and then quickly sketched up a three-tiered wedding cake that incorporated the various designs that I was looking for - just like the Cake Boss (whom I love). She has different flavors to chose from for the cakes, fillings and icing. We went with chocolate chip pound cake with chocolate fill for the base, lemon with raspberry fill for the middle, and champagne with strawberry fill for the top tier - all with butter cream around. The cake was so tasty and stunning. My guests are still raving about the cake!

The bride and groom cake pops were also a very good selection for our table favors. I selected red velvet (my favorite) with white chocolate for the bride cake pop and chocolate peanut butter with chocolate for the groom pops. Yummy. Again, a huge success.

Sent on 08/31/2015

Ashley · Married on 02/07/2015

Mary Ellen was wonderful to work with. She spent over an hour with us during our wedding tasting, keeping the shop open late. The options for our cake were endless and she made notes as we tasted so at the end when we couldn't remember all the flavor combinations we liked, she could remind us. After we talked about the design, Mary Ellen went into the kitchen and decorated a cake in the design and colors we talked about so that we could actually see what it looked like. She did not have to do that, but she did because she really loves what she does. About 5 days before the wedding she called to confirm the flavors and the design. And on the wedding day the cake was just as we talked about. It was delicious! I'll be using her again in the future!

Sent on 03/03/2015

Emily · Married on 10/25/2014

From the first meeting at our cake tasting Maryellen went above and beyond to meet our needs. During the tasting she gave us a cupcake of every flavor, as well as every filling she has so we could mix and match to find the perfect flavors for our different layers. We ended up picking the chocolate chip pound cake with chocolate buttercream, vanilla with raspberry filling and for the fall the pumpkin with cheesecake filling. They were all amazing!!

I can't even explain how I felt when I walked into our reception and saw our cake for the first time - it was beautiful! It was everything we asked for. To be able to go into the cake tasting all those months before the wedding and explain my vision and then to see it on our wedding day come to life was amazing! She took my vision and created exactly what I wanted, it was beautiful and delicious!!!

Sent on 11/05/2014

Alex · Married on 09/20/2014

MaryEllen did a fabulous job with our wedding cake. She designed the exact cake that I had envisioned. The tasting was fun and she gave us great advice on what flavors and combinations to choose. Our cake looked beautiful the day of the wedding and everyone enjoyed it. We only wish our guests hadn't enjoyed it so much and had left more for us!

Sent on 02/17/2015

Heather · Married on 06/08/2013

I originally met Maryellen over a year before our wedding at a West Chester Food Festival and LOVED her cake pops. However, all along our planning process, I planned to bake cookies myself for all 220 guests as their party favors, however my husband strongly advised against this as he knew it would stress me out very much right before the wedding. So, I gave in the week of our wedding and made the last minute call to Maryellen to rescue me. With less than a weeks notice, she was able to fill our order for 220 cake pops and had them wrapped and ready to go in plenty of time! Not to mention the cake pops were delicious! I think I even saw a few people trying to steal their neighbors :)

Sent on 06/25/2013

Lauren · Married on 05/11/2013

Maryellen and her entire crew at cakes and candies are awesome! The tasting was way more in depth then I had ever expected picking a cake flavor could be. There are so many options and combinations for cake/filling/icing, thankfully Maryellen is there to give recommendations. She helped us design an amazing cake and then delivered with a cake that was even more beautiful then we could have imagined! We took our dessert spread a bit further and had two chocolate fountains with trays and towers of delicious treats to dip. It was easy to see our guests were very happy with the work that Maryellen and her crew had put into the event, as we're we!

Sent on 04/28/2014

Lauren · Married on 04/27/2013

Mary Ellen was awesome! She was super personable and easy to work with. Her prices were the best around and the cake was beautiful and delicious. I loved that we could choose 3 different flavors with no extra charge and they were so generous with the samples it made it much easier to choose just what we wanted.

Sent on 08/07/2013

Emily · Married on 12/31/2012

Great cake! It tasted so good and was huge! The tasting was so much fun! the design was beautiful.

Sent on 01/13/2013

Ashlee · Married on 11/10/2012

Who wants cake when you can have cake pops!!!! We LOVED our non traditional cake pops and so did our guests. They were the most moist, flavorful and wonderful little cake pops we have ever eaten. She even did gluten free for our guests with wheat allergies.

Sent on 11/14/2012

Yummiest wedding cake EVER!! It was also beautiful. Maryellen dressed our cake in ribbon and flowers that matched what my florist did, but she took care of it all, no running around for me. Super generous and made our cake tasting fun.

Sent on 10/22/2012

Kristine · Married on 06/30/2012

I Iove cakes and candies by maryellen! Not only was my cake breathtakingly gorgeous but it also tasted amazing. Our tasting was a lot of fun and we got to try all the cakes in a cupcake form as well as all the fillings. Maryellen worked through each step with me and floored my husband and I with the final results. She really did an amazing job and I would recommend her to any bride and groom looking for that perfect cake. We have also used them for birthday cakes and a baptism cake all in which were beautiful and tasted just as awesome.

Sent on 07/28/2012

Renata · Married on 05/20/2012

We absolutely LOVE Maryellen! She is a wonderful person to work with, very funny and always puts her customer`s needs and ideas First! We loved our Wedding Cake and it was absolutely amazing to see our dream cake with the fresh flowers, double heart theme, pillars and running water fountain right before our eyes! You can never go wrong with anything Maryellen makes! It's ALWAYS Delicious!

Thanks Maryellen!

Sent on 07/07/2012

Beth · Married on 05/15/2010

I could not have picked a better person to design my wedding cake and be part of my special day. Maryellen was so personable and incredibly talented. She took my vision and made it even more beautiful than I could have imagined. She was AMAZING! I want to thank her from the bottom of my heart for totally given Charlie and I the cake of a lifetime.

Sent on 05/20/2010

A · Married on 04/24/2010

We had a consultation with Maryellen and knew she had to make our wedding cake. The cake is absolutely delicious! We chose a 4 tier cake made of 3 cake flavors and 3 different fillings. We loved the quality of the cake so much we also decided to do our wedding favors with Maryellen. She made jumbo cupcake for every guest and the presentation was more than I could have asked for. So many guests complimented the cake and favors and have asked for her contact info. I will use Maryellen again without a doubt! I attached pics but they do not do her work justice. I will send professional pitures once I receive them!

Sent on 05/19/2010
  • Ruth

Ruth · Married on 07/23/2016

The best cake I ever had. Our tasting was awesome - so many flavors and fillings to choose from. Because of our big guest list, we had a 4 tier cake and 2 sheet cakes; each of the 6 was a different flavor and filling combo. The day of the wedding we cut into the "death by chocolate" (which my husband hates) and he actually liked it. Everyone raved about it and almost all of our cake to go boxes were gone. The design came out just as we asked.

Sent on 08/12/2016

Samantha · Married on 05/14/2016

I would highly recommend Cakes & Candies By Maryellen for your wedding cake! Our cake was absolutely delicious. For the tasting, Maryellen bakes 12 cupcakes with 12 icing samples and then provides ideas for the best combinations. The most impressive part of the experience was how beautiful the cake turned out. We used fresh flowers, which they designed and arranged in-house based on the flower types and ideas we provided. Our cake was gorgeous and delicious and I couldn't have been more pleased!

Sent on 08/16/2016

Michael · Married on 09/15/2012

I have such a sweet tooth and Maryellen delivered. The cake tasting alone had me salivating for the wedding. The cake that Maryellen constructed for our was beautiful. She took my wife's vision and ran with it. We literally got to choose our own cakes and fillings and it was unbelievable. I told everyone to make sure that had a piece of the cake months before because i knew how good it was and they raved about it. We had enough cake to server a thousand people and we had over two hundred at our wedding. We have been eating the cake every night after the wedding and we still have some left (yes we gained some wedding weight) Thank you so much for making our wedding night the best night of our lives.

Sent on 09/25/2012
  • Cicely

Cicely · Married on 09/02/2012

OMG!!! A+++++++! She knew what we wanted and made it happen. The tasting was ridiculous. I have never tasted cake that good. The combinations that were suggested...I don't even know what to say. Blew my mind! The wedding cake turned out AMAZING!!! During our cake cutting ceremony, they delayed us from eating it and I was so hurt. When we finally got to taste it, it was delicious and everyone loved it! Also, I contacted her last minute to have something separate to celebrate my father's birthday, she was right on it. Would definitely recommend her to any and everyone.

Sent on 09/03/2012

We love Maryellen! We chose Maryellen to make our cake for our wedding! She did a FANTASTIC job, the cake was picture perfect! I also really wanted to have a unique cake stand as a tree trunk, she took care of that as well. It looked amazing! The cake tasted even better! Soo good, many people complimented on how delicious the cake tasted. I'm honestly not even a big cake fan, but can't resist her cakes and cake pops, so good!!!! We highly recommend her bakery, for any celebration. The cake pops are to die for, and we will be stoping in for some soon!

Sent on 09/18/2014