BYC Photography Reviews

27 Reviews for BYC Photography

• Elisabeth

Elisabeth Kealy · Getting married on 02/10/2021

Benny is the BEST!

Gosh, we loved Benny from the moment we met him! He came highly recommended by our venue owner and wedding planner, and he was the first and easiest vendor we booked. After a brief meet-and-greet at a local coffee shop, we liked Benny so much, we didn’t bother considering other photographers. Three things stood out to us about his work:

1. Benny used to be an engineer and has a unique eye for angles, which our mid-century modern venue — The Lautner Compound — is perfect for. He was already very familiar with shooting there, which was a bonus.

2. Benny knows how to work with couples. My husband and I are awkward with posing for photos, but Benny was able to talk us through every shot and put us completely at ease.

3. Benny takes candid photos. Our favorite photos are the ones where people are laughing, smiling and genuinely having fun without knowing they’re being photographed. The way Benny captures those moments is beautiful.

Our engagement photoshoot in Joshua Tree was so much fun! It was windy and it had rained heavily earlier that day, plus we were already nervous having never done a photo shoot before, but Benny swooped right in and calmed our nerves. The evening was so gorgeous, we let spontaneity take over and ended up not following our original itinerary. Benny and my husband (who is a geologist) nerded out big time with the scenery and we ended up having so much fun! On our wedding day, Benny (who was dressed so snazzy in his vest and bowtie) and his associate (who was also SO awesome!) were on time, worked hard to stick to our tight schedule, and were completely professional. They worked swiftly and made the wedding experience so fun, that it never felt like they were cutting into our time with our family and friends.

As you may know, wedding planning can be daunting and gets expensive quickly, no matter how much you try to cut costs. We initially struggled with Benny’s prices (as we did with any vendor), but we quickly learned that his services are quite reasonable and worth every penny. With Benny, you’re getting exceptional quality, great communication, and a five-star service, hands-down. Benny is incredibly talented, kind, attentive, drama-free, and genuine. He truly cares about the caliber of his work and aesthetics, and listened well to what we wanted. We could’t have hired a better photographer and we are absolutely pleased with his work!

Sent on 12/31/2019
  • Cynthia

Cynthia Thai · Married on 11/03/2019

Artistic, Talented, Personable

Benny is fantastic to work with. He makes you feel comfortable and at ease, which is so important because posing for photos is AWKWARD. He is incredibly talented and artistic. He has a great eye for hidden gems, photo framing, and natural lighting. During the photo shoots, he looks for inspiration with the lighting, time of day, shadows, and building textures. He is also amazingly efficient. We did our engagement photo shoot at 4 different locations in downtown LA (Hermosa Vista Park, Lower Grand Avenue, Walt Disney Concert Hall, and the Broad Museum) in under 2 hours. He is responsive, accessible, easy-going, and is always on time and keeps you on schedule. If you're looking for top-quality photography, you need to check out Benny's work. Most wedding photography tends to look the same, but Benny's work really stood out. He stays humble even though his work is unique and absolutely gorgeous. We are really glad we found Benny.

Sent on 11/12/2019
  • Linda

Linda Nguyen · Married on 05/18/2019

Flawless Photography

We were referred to Benny by a friend who was married in Orange County. He flew up to Northern California to shoot our wedding! I have never met a photographer that made me feel so at ease. My now husband is a shy person and doesn't really like photos but Benny actually brought out some natural smiles and laughter from him. Benny is super friendly, kind, and rolled with the punches. It was rainy and overcast on my wedding day and actually the pictures all turned out super gorgeous. Benny's work ethic and patience was amazing as well. He was on time, didn't mind getting wet in the rain, and even though he was technically off the clock at the end of the night, he took some time to do a couple more portraits for us (and we ended up loving the shot!). I was surprised at how quickly he got back to us with a slideshow and some sneak peeks. I definitely recommend him plus his additional photographer because they were fun to work with and most importantly made everyone and the venue look like a million bucks! Could not be happier and can't wait to receive our fancy wedding album!!!

Don't hesitate in setting up a meeting or video chat with him because he will definitely deliver!

Sent on 05/31/2019
  • Neha

Neha M. · Married on 04/06/2019

Look no further than BYC Photography

We were referred to Benny by our venue in Laguna Beach, and realized after the very first meeting that he was going to be our photographer! During that first meeting, he answered all our questions and really made sure that he got a sense of the two of us and how we wanted the wedding to go. We met up/talked with him a couple of times during the planning process and it reinforced our choice of a fantastic photographer every time.

On the day of the wedding, Benny and James (his second photographer for the day) were enthusiastic, amazing and so so great to work with! They went along with the ridiculous pictures we wanted and gave us some beautiful photos that we will cherish forever. They even pulled us aside during the dancing (to give us a bit of a break) to take some beautiful nighttime shots. When we wanted to go table-to-table but didn't want to be doing it for hoooours, Benny and James ensured we quick and efficient while also allowing us to get a photo with every guest who attended the wedding!!

After the wedding, we got so many comments about our fantastic photographer who always happened to be present to catch funny, sweet candid moments! Moreover, Benny sent us sneak peek photos just a few days after our wedding and it made us so happy to relive the day just as we were coming down from the high of our wonderful wedding. If you're looking for a great photographer for your wedding, engagement, or whatever (even just an everyday photoshoot!), look no further than Benny!

Sent on 04/25/2019

johnny · Married on 08/28/2018

amazing, accommodating & comfortable

awesome! so amazing, accommodating & comfortable. we had requested pictures very last minute, benny came and helped us out more than we could have asked. pictures turned out amazing and we only had a few hours of sunlight to do them with! highly recommend!

Sent on 02/08/2019

A. · Married on 06/22/2018

BYC Photography was, hands down, the best vendor we worked with during the planning of our wedding! My husband and I can’t say enough positive about Benny. We appreciated how professional he was during every step of the process from our first meeting, engagement photos, and throughout our big day! He went above and beyond by personally calling us the week of the wedding to see if there was anything we needed and to check in with how we were feeling. He took the time to explain all his packages, is quick with responding, and has been very patient with us as we have gone through the editing process of our album. Additionally, we loved his artistic ability; Benny didn’t just take the standard wedding shots, he also captured the feel of our venue and was able to photograph our personalities as a couple. Even the married bridesmaids and groomsmen in our bridal party commented on how their own wedding photographers didn’t take half the quality of shots that Benny did. If you book with BYC photography, I promise you won’t be disappointed!

Sent on 09/04/2018

Kayla · Married on 04/07/2018

My now-husband and I are so thankful that we found BYC Photography to capture our wedding day! For me, wedding photography was one of the things I was most particular about. I've heard one too many horror stories of things going terribly wrong with photography on someone's special day, so I wanted to ensure we found someone we could trust completely. We were referred to them by a friend, and BYC did not disappoint!! Not only did Benny make us feel relaxed and comfortable in front of a camera lens (believe me it's awkward if you don't have much experience), but he also has an incredible eye for detail, and gave us beautiful portraits! Most importantly, we had such a fun, awesome time with him whether taking photos or talking over wedding schedule details.

The one thing (and most important thing) that sets him apart from other photographers I've researched is his love for what he does. Once you work with him, it's truly evident that he cares for his clients and is dedicated to giving them an enjoyable and unique experience tailored to each couple. His response time to e-mails or messages is incredible and he goes the extra mile to make sure that his clients are happy, stress-free and having fun! Our wedding day timeline was packed, but Benny continually checked in to ask us how we were feeling and made us laugh. His chill and flexible personality had a calming presence on a busy day.

In the end, we couldn't be happier with our photos! We now see Benny as a family friend and trust him to continue to capture our other family milestones in the future. Without hesitation, we recommend BYC Photography to any and every couple. Just make sure to book him early!

Sent on 04/24/2018

Abraham · Married on 04/07/2018

Benny from BYC Photography is not only an amazing wedding photographer, but he truly is one of the best professionals in the wedding industry period. While weddings and marriages are truly a beautiful thing in general, wedding planning is terrible and is a scourge to men and women all around the world. Planning with Benny on our team though made things so much easier - Benny brought a wealth of helpful knowledge, tips, and experiences for our wedding, even for things not directly related to wedding photography.

More importantly than that though, being with Benny gave my then-fiancee and I such reassurance that all our photography and scheduling was in good hands. That confidence helped relieve a lot of pressure and allowed us to focus our attention elsewhere. Benny consistently followed up and took initiative to make sure everything his team needed was in place, and he also helped us work with our other vendors. He helped coordinate timing and planned shots for our videographers on the wedding day to make sure they also had prime footage. He worked with our venue coordinator, our DJ, and our wedding coordinator to make sure everything was in place, and he made extra effort to squeeze in shots all throughout the day to catch morning, evening, and even late night shots as well.

I could go on and on but the best thing that I could say now is to set up an appointment with Benny and see for yourself. He's not only gifted and an award-winning photographer, but he is incredibly friendly, helpful, funny and also an absolute professional that will elevate the quality of your wedding to the next level. He earns my highest recommendation and I encourage you to make him your go-to photographer.

Sent on 04/24/2018

Tanya · Married on 05/06/2017

Benny, owner and photographer of BYC photography is the most AMAZING photographer I have ever met! My husband and I hired BYC photography for our wedding last weekend, 5.6.17 and they did a wonderful job!!! From the time we booked with Benny, to our engagement shoot with Benny (which were beautiful photos btw), to the hundreds of emails, to the day of, Benny was so informative, helpful, professional, personable and prompt. He far exceed our expectations! On our big day, Benny and his team felt more like friends who were there to celebrate with us, as they helped us remain calm and and coordinate with all of our other vendors, all while capturing our most memorable moments!! They thought of candid pictures that I would have never been able to imagine and I really appreciated how throughout the day, Benny would show me sneak peaks of pictures he took on his camera so I knew they came out beautifully! I would definitely recommend BYC photography to anyone planning a wedding or milestone event! My husband and I feel like Benny is now family and will be booking him for all major life events (like maternity photos) in the future. Thank you for making our day so magical!!!

Sent on 05/08/2017

Katherine · Married on 04/22/2017

We hired Benny to travel up to NorCal to photograph our wedding upon the recommendation of my sister-in-law and we couldn't be happier with our choice. Benny is extremely professional but super easy to work with. We had immediate rapport and loved his enthusiasm, professionalism and passion for his work. You automatically feel happy around him which makes for great photos. He gives great instructions, knows how to engage kids with awesome sound effects, and is incredibly organized and prompt with communication. We appreciate his ability to create both posed shots and candid photos which we feel more comfortableHe's already been hired 3x - 2x by my sister-in-law for family and 1x for my wedding - by our family alone and I'm sure there'll be many more times that he might just eventually become part our family! We highly recommend working with him!

Sent on 05/12/2017

Victoria · Married on 04/08/2017

Benny was absolutely amazing. We searched for a long time looking at almost a dozen photographers for our wedding day. Benny stood way above our other options. He always responded so quickly to any emails or phone calls we had. He was more than accommodating to any of our requests or needs. Very professional. One of the most stressful parts of our wedding was the day of timeline and he helped create the timeline perfectly. He was also very open to inspiration and welcomed other poses/pictures to view if we wanted to do something similar to that pose or look. I can't say enough amazing things about Benny and his team!!

Sent on 11/17/2017

Alina · Married on 03/04/2017

Benny is amazing! I was looking for a photographer for our very small and very last minute wedding and came across BYC photography here on yelp and decided to go with him based on the reviews. I have absolutely no regrets. He was very nice, professional, and eager to give us exactly what we wanted and he nailed it. He was very prompt in responding to my millions of emails and he gave me many options of where we could do our portraits. During the ceremony he captured moments I would have never even though of and made our church photos look beautiful. I wasn't even interested in the church photos and then I saw them and loved them. When we went to do our portraits he was creative and gave us so many different types of pictures and they all turned out stunning. He is a very talented photographer and take stunning photos. I can't say enough great things about him!

Sent on 04/05/2017

Daniel · Married on 01/15/2017

Benny did our engagement and wedding photos. He was great to work with and took amazing photos. Very reasonable price for the quality of work. Also, everyone loved our photo album and disk drive.

Sent on 06/07/2017
  • Angela

Angela · Married on 12/31/2016

Benny is a talented and professional wedding photographer and we were lucky to find him for our New Year’s Eve wedding at [seven-degrees] in Laguna Beach! We met Benny at a local coffee shop after finding him online and hired him on the spot. We really liked his energy and enthusiasm about his profession, as well as his camera abilities and confidence to shoot a night time wedding (since our ceremony started later).

Throughout the wedding planning process, Benny would take the initiative to check in with us every month or so. As the big day got closer, he visited the venue since he had not been there before, sent us examples of photos and shot lists, and shared several emails/phone calls with us. He was hands-on, easy to get a hold of, and shared in the wedding excitement with us.

On the wedding day, Benny showed up on time at the hotel to shoot the wedding party getting ready. We had a large wedding party (7 bridesmaids and 7 groomsmen, plus family) and Benny brought along an assistant to help him throughout the day/night. We had some unexpected rain on the wedding day so we had to make the best of taking some pictures inside, but they still turned out really nice. Benny did an excellent job capturing our wedding and all of the special moments we shared!

We are so happy that we hired Benny as our wedding photographer and have heard from several guests that the photos turned out amazing. We would highly recommend Benny to other couples seeking a talented, professional, and nice photographer to capture their wedding day or other special occasions. We would also recommend the additional purchase of a wedding album through Benny. We just received ours and it is definitely a life long keepsake.

Brian and Angela Davis

Sent on 03/29/2017

Emily · Married on 10/30/2016

Benny is the best photographer! We hired him to do our engagement & wedding photos and it was the best choice we could have made. Wedding time = stressful times and you need vendors who treat you like you're their VIP. Benny did just that. He made sure he got to know my husband and I from the very beginning including what our hobbies were, what we like to do, and what our personalities are like. Benny said he did this so that he could tailor his service to our needs and help us bring out the best side of us. He also listened attentively to what we wanted while making sure to use his professionalism and experiences to guide us towards what is realistically achievable vs what is not. We always had our questions and concerns answered right away. We'd recommend his service to all our family and friends.

Sent on 03/28/2017

Hayley · Married on 09/22/2016

I strongly recommend booking with Benny. Setting up our appointment was a breeze thanks to Benny's prompt communication, our sessions was a blast, and the pictures are simple lovely.

Sent on 10/15/2016

Kim · Married on 09/03/2016

My fiance and I were planning our wedding in California from Texas, and this made the thought of booking a wedding photographer really scary. Plus the idea of engagement photos... out the window. Benny made the whole process easy peasy! We video chatted to talk details and get to know once another, plus he helped customize his packages (which, omg, this wedding book is out of this world beautiful) to shoot our rehearsal dinner - and sneak in a quick session of just me and my man. He and his second shooter JD captured our day better than I could have imagined- from my fiance's panicked face before he walked up to the altar to his teary eyes when he saw me walking down to our dog dragging our ring bearers down to... I could go on. PLUS we snuck a few shots with mood lighting and ambiance in the middle of the reception - shots I didn't even know I wanted and now I can't live without. Book BYC if you want to have a photographer that takes your personality into account, and still manages to put his artistic touch into every photo!

Sent on 04/16/2017

Joann · Married on 07/17/2016

Overall excellent quality of service! Benny was very responsive to all of our questions, and would return our emails generally within 24 hours. He was very down to earth, likable, and professional. Was always on top of things and well organized, which made the entire process relatively worry- free. We went with the $3000 package, which included both an engagement and wedding session, canvas and album which turned out great. Even offered a free upgrade to the album at the end. Speaks fluent Chinese, which luckily turned out to be an added benefit for our older relatives. Would absolutely recommend to anyone looking for a wedding photographer!

Sent on 10/28/2016

Marcie · Married on 07/09/2016

The moment we met Benny we knew he was the perfect photographer to share in our most amazing day;Our Wedding! Benny has amazing talent, but wow what energy and personality! Those two aspects make for an enjoyable and unforgettable process. Benny was always on time, always professional and went above and beyond the anticipated duties as our engagement/ wedding photographer.

He is a retired Engineer so his love for photography matches his passion for the scene/setting/buildings chosen. Example: We shot our engagement photos at the historic Santa Ana Train station. It was priceless ! The photos were amazing ! Same for our wedding.

Benny was constantly checking in with us prior to the wedding, right before and right after. He also checked on us frequently, nearly a year later to remind us of our need to complete our wedding album, we became tardy in finishing. As soon as we did ok the print it was done within a week and a half. He is so prompt and it was absolutely gorgeous as expected. We love Benny! He will go above and beyond. Just meet him. You will know exactly what we mean when you do!

Sent on 05/16/2017

Stephanie · Married on 06/05/2016

A month after our wedding, our friend was married and though her pictures turned out very pretty, her photographer was snappy with her guests. I think it's important to consider both photo quality and the personality of the photographer. Benny is excellent in both ways! He truly cares about what you want for your wedding pictures. He is detail-oriented, organized, professional, and fun to work with. Best of all, our pictures were GORGEOUS! We received many compliments from our friends and family. My husband and I were so happy with our wedding pictures that we plan to use BYC for all of our family's photography needs.

Sent on 01/03/2017

Jeremy · Married on 06/05/2016

My wife and I couldn't be happier with our wedding photos. Benny is a gifted photographer and is very personable. He is also organized and artistic. Unlike some photographers, he keeps your preferences in mind and strives to create the memories you want. You will not regret BYC for your wedding!

Sent on 01/03/2017

Mr. Chiu provided an awesome work for us. He was also very quick on response for any question I had. Flexible and very quick turn around. I received my photos a lot faster than I expected it.

Sent on 03/18/2016

Nicky · Married on 10/29/2015

Benny is awesome! He is a very nice guy and easy-going!! Benny does photo shooting amazing job. He has a fantastic ability to make you feel comfortable and at ease during your session. He is funny and his personalty makes the day. On the day of the wedding, Benny and his assistant were VERY patient with my family. They were patient and friendly throughout the time they were shooting. Our final pictures were given to us in a timely manner. They look wonderful. I'm so glad that I found him!!!! Thank you Benny for capturing one of the most important days of my life!

Sent on 12/12/2015

BYC Photography's reply:

Nicky!

Thank you so much for your review! Thank YOU for giving me the honor to photograph your special day!

Benny is so great all around. He's very friendly, easy to work with, creative, very responsive to emails, and above all, is very talented! He understood what we were going through with wedding planning and helped give us an idea of what would work because in many senses we were somewhat clueless. He is very professional and worked well with our other vendors and always responded within a day if not earlier! Cannot recommend him enough!

Sent on 12/14/2015

Amelia · Married on 02/14/2015

With only two to three weeks close to our wedding day, my husband and I were able to hear back from Benny from BYC Photography immediately. We really admired how he was interested in getting to know us as a couple and any wedding inspirations we would like him to know about. He was also able to work with our budget and this was a big plus! On the day of our wedding, Benny was very easy going and he made sure that he met our needs. Working around him definitely made us feel relaxed and comfortable too. A month later, we got to view all our photos and I was completely blown away with the quality and style... it was exactly what we wanted but more! I have been recommending Benny to my friends already and would definitely recommend him to any of you looking for a great photographer. Two thumbs up!

Sent on 03/28/2015