The Blue Heron at Blackthorn Reviews

View more information

• Marianne
    Marianne K. Married on 10/16/2021

The perfect day

The Blue Heron, and specifically Lexi, exceeded every one of my expectations. Not only is it one of the most beautiful venues in South Bend, but everything runs like a well-oiled machine. I'm an overly organized, Type A person, who doesn't like to delegate, so I was the one on the phone/email/carrier pigeon with Lexi seemingly every day. I say this not as an exaggeration, Lexi is the best in the business. She is extremely good at her job, and more than that, she is friendly no matter the situation. She kind, compassionate, and flexible. She was willing to customize pretty much anything. She is so responsive, I had to tell her to stop responding to my Monday emails on Monday because that is her day off (and she has earned it).

The Blue Heron caters in house which is nice just because you don't have to worry about another vendor. But the food is spectacular. I had a friend who texted me to ask what kind of chicken we served, because her husband had been pestering her for days to ask me because he loved it so much.

The venue does set up and tear down so you don't have to come in the morning of your wedding, and don't have to stay late that night. We dropped our centerpieces and decorations off the Thursday before and picked it all up a couple days later.

The Blue Heron is not the cheapest option in South Bend. But it is the best, and it was worth every dollar we spent there. And I highly suggest considering a Friday wedding. They are just as great, and much more cost effective.
    Andrea H. Married on 08/22/2020

Perfect for our wedding reception

The Blue Heron was PERFECT for our wedding reception! We were originally scheduled to get married March 2021, but postponed to December 2021 due to COVID. Luckily, the Blue Heron was flexible and able to work with us to switch to our new date. We had our ceremony at the Notre Dame Basilica, followed an hour later by cocktail hour and reception at the Blue Heron. Lexi was fantastic to work with and made planning and day-of very easy on us. We bought a random assortment of things for centerpieces (garland, pinecones, etc), and she and her team were able to put everything together and make it look even better than we had imagined. We continue to get rave reviews about the food, too, which is always great to hear.
  • Kelli
    Kelli Married on 11/09/2019

Beautiful space & great food

We had our large wedding reception at the Blue Heron in November last fall, and Lexi and her team went above and beyond! We were planning our wedding from out of state, and Lexi was able to juggle questions and meetings with my parents who were local, as well as with us via phone and email. Lexi was always quick to respond to our questions and would send an updated quote each time we discussed changes in logistics. I even emailed her the morning of our wedding to let her know about 3 people who we found out couldn’t make it and she was able to make sure those tables didn’t have the extra/unneeded chairs at our reception. We had tons of different questions along the planning process, and she was always very clear and knowledgable with her answers and advice. The staff at our reception were all wonderful, and many of our guests raved about the food. Lexi and the venue were flexible with most of our requests as well, such as letting us bring in some of our own ingredients for signature “his and hers” cocktails. The staff handles all of the decor setup and tear down, and all I did was provide Lexi with a list of our decor items noting where I wanted them setup. I loved not having to worry about any setup or tear down, as I certainly didn’t want to deal with that as the bride and we didn’t want any family or friends to have to help with that type of work either. We were able to schedule a time the next day to pick up any of our remaining decor items. Thank you so much to Lexi and the staff at Blue Heron for helping make our wedding day unforgettable!
  • Laura
    Laura W. Married on 06/28/2019

Would highly recommend!

We had our wedding reception here this past June, and loved it! It is a gorgeous space with lots of natural light (great for the beautiful South Bend summer evenings!). We found the prices very reasonable, and the food was great. And Lexi went above and beyond in making our event everything we dreamed. She was very professional and extremely accommodating, even for last minute changes. She took care of so many of the little details and set up the venue beautifully. She was such a joy to work with! I would highly recommend!
  • andrew
    Andrew Married on 03/03/2018

Best in the business

There is no better place to hold an event! Lexi is so easy to work with and absolutely accommodating. I look forward to any event at the Blue Haron on Blackthorn!!
    Rachel Married on 04/23/2016
    AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING! Lexi was wonderful to work with. She helped everything run so seamlessly the day of our wedding, and the food was amazing! Absolutely no complaints at all.
  • Carolyn
    Carolyn Married on 06/02/2012
    This venue is amazing! It has a golf course backdrop with floor to ceiling windows surrounding the entire reception hall so even on a cloudy day it looks amazing. We received so many wonderful compliments on the food and they are very willing to work with you! They have just installed a permanent tent on their patio which is an added bonus for cocktail hour! Overall great service!
    Phyllis Married on 02/11/2017
    We had our wedding here in February, it was absolutely perfect. The food was great, and we received many compliments. Lexi was very helpful, patient and a pleasure to work with. I highly recommend this location to anyone looking for a stress free wedding. The evening was perfect.