Blithewold Reviews

Blithewold 6
Blithewold 7
  • Thomas

Thomas Benning · Married on 09/22/2019

Perfect Venue for Your Perfect Day!

Karen and the team at the Blithewold are extraordinary! Not only do they ensure that everything runs smoothly, but they run a tight ship which keeps everyone and everything on time. Their suggestions for vendors were spot on and so well researched that we felt like we not only booked a venue but a wedding planner as well. They took incredibly good care of our bridal party the day of the wedding and were such a blessing to work with.

Sent on 10/09/2019
  • Samantha

Samantha Scinta · Married on 09/01/2019

It Doesn’t Get Better Than Blithewold!

Blithewold is a truly incredible and one-of-a-kind wedding venue. I visited countless venues around the Newport, RI area before finding Blithewold, and I knew instantly that this was it! They had absolutely everything I was looking for - and our wedding reception was truly stunning. The massive lawn leading down to the water, gorgeous sunset views, unique gardens, beautiful and historic mansion, a big stone terrace and porches, a beautiful marquis tent with patio flooring, plenty of parking and a great set-up for event flow, helpful and knowledgeable staff - what more could one ask for?! We were completely blessed with the perfect wedding day weather (sunny with a few clouds, warm with a cool breeze, low humidity…) and our guests got to enjoy everything that Blithewold has to offer at its absolute best! Karen, the events director, was great to work with and incredibly helpful in guiding us with vendor decisions and making sure details were accommodated. Their catering relationship, with Blackstone catering, was a true blessing - we didn’t have to search for a catering vendor, and Blackstone offers delicious, creative food and truly amazing and professional service - they made our wedding the incredible event that it was! I am so grateful that we got to celebrate our wedding reception at Blithewold!

Sent on 09/18/2019
  • Stephanie

Stephanie Zurek · Married on 09/23/2018

Perfect garden wedding

We held our September wedding and reception at Blithewold. We could not be happier with how everything turned out. We cannot thank Karen Bellavance enough for her understanding as we worked through the possibility of a schedule change due to medical reasons. Karen provided lots of good information leading up to the event. Our wedding ceremony in the garden went smoothly thanks to the clear instructions we received during our rehearsal the day before the wedding. Blithewold weddings are a well-oiled machine. The staff keeps everything running on time. The tent and facilities at Blithewold are wonderful and the setting is magnificent – especially if you are surprised with a dramatic sunset!

Sent on 10/30/2018

Jennifer · Married on 08/31/2018

Perfect in every sense of the word.

Blithewold was the absolute perfect venue for our wedding! The grounds are breathtaking, and we still have guests raving about how beautiful the venue was. Karen was an absolute pleasure to work with. I planned our wedding from Chicago, which made planning tricky at times, but Karen was so responsive and accommodating to all my emails, even my random one-off questions that would pop up throughout the year. The Blithewold staff runs a well-oiled machine and they work with their vendors so seamlessly to ensure the day runs smooth. They truly create a magical, unforgettable experience.

Sent on 10/29/2018

Lori · Married on 09/16/2017

A magical wedding at Blithewold is how I would characterize my daughter's wedding on 9/16/17. The elegant mansion, beautiful grounds, gorgeous gardens surrounding the ceremony location and perfect tent for our dinner and dancing provided our guests and us with a 'wow' wedding night. Karen Bellavance and her staff were so attentive, professional and organized from the 12 months prior when we booked the venue up until the day after when I picked up neatly organized belongings from the tent. All of the details, vendors and timelines were orchestrated perfectly to make the wedding the least stressful for the bride and me, the mom. Karen and Blithewold together make this site a perfect 10 to have your wedding. Can't wait to see the pictures!

Sent on 10/05/2017

Andy · Married on 09/10/2017

This venue is truly amazing in many ways: the view of the water, the architecture of the mansion, the grounds and numerous gardens, the tent, and the staff. Karen was very detail oriented and had great vendor recommendations for us, which was a big help for us since we were from out of town. The day of the wedding, Karen and the staff operated like a well oiled machine, ensuring that everything went off without a hitch. They are truly top notch.

Sent on 10/11/2017

Susan · Married on 09/08/2017

Our daughter got married at Blithewold Mansion on 9-8-17. From the moment we booked this venue in November of 2016, our experience dealing with Karen Bellavance, Director of Special Events, was nothing short of fantastic. Karen provided a wealth of information in a very professional, yet personal and warm and sincere manner, was quick to return phone calls and emails, and most importantly, listened to us and advised us on every detail every step of the way. She is a pleasure to work with. The ceremony was held outdoors in the North Garden overlooking the scenic Narragansett Bay and was accentuated by the lovely gardens at Blithewold. The cocktail hour took place on the lawn, and the reception in the beautifully lit tent. The permanent stone flooring in the tent is a real bonus and adds to its ambience. We couldn't have asked for a better day, the bride and groom had the wedding of their dreams, and our guests are still raving about the gorgeous venue. I can't recommend having your wedding at Blithewold Mansion highly enough!

Sent on 09/23/2017

Mj · Married on 08/05/2017

Our wedding guests said it was "the most beautiful wedding they've ever been to!" I literally cannot say enough wonderful things about our August wedding at the Blithewold! We had our ceremony in the garden, our guests had cocktail hour on the grand lawn, and our reception was under the twinkling lights in the tent. All I can say is if you're lucky enough and the Blithewold has your date open BOOK IT! You get full access to the mansion and the grounds for you and your guest for what is a reasonable price with other comparable venues. Our pictures look like they're out of a story book. Again you can shoot anywhere on the grounds. We chose to shoot in the bamboo gardens, stone archway, the greenhouse, and our photographer found this beautiful little piece of beach straight back from the tent that was absolute perfection at sunset. I have to admit, I read every single review on here before booking the Blithewold. There were a few that said Karen was difficult to work with, which made me a little nervous. All I can say is those reviews are wrong, Karen is an absolute delight, super responsive and an overall pleasure to work with. All I can guess is the people that wrote those reviews were most likely the type of people who were difficult themselves. Yes, the Blithewold will cut the music at 1030, but they tell you that ahead of time. If you have to have "one more song" :) tell your DJ to say last song at 10:10 and then play a few more. Also they have added new beautiful bathrooms right next to the tent, with a huge bridal suite attached.
    Tip: Hire their recommended caterer Blackstone, they know the place inside and out and your food and service will be superb.

Sent on 08/14/2017

Shannon · Married on 07/01/2016

It was an absolute dream to celebrate our reception here! The grounds are immaculate, with so many places to explore for photos! We had a fun time getting our guests to enjoy the grounds (all yours during your event!) and dance the night away in the tent! That is what sold us on booking the Blithewold - not only was it gorgeous, but it was a completely private retreat for our celebration. Bristol is one of our favorite places in RI, and how lucky it is to have a wonderful venue like the Blithewold!

Karen Bellavance was incredibly helpful every step of the way through endless emails and phone calls to iron out details. The day before our wedding we dropped of decorations with Karen and briefly explained setup - when we arrived at the reception everything was perfectly in its place! The staff were very accommodating and I couldn't be more appreciative.

Ps. My husband and I, though originally from New England, have been living in California the past few years. When we saw the gorgeous sequoia trees on the Blithewold grounds we were reminded of our west coast adventure (and favorite national park - Sequoia!). It helped us bring our west coast lifestyle back east with us!

Sent on 10/04/2016

Eileen · Married on 05/28/2016

We had the most perfect wedding at Blithewold! We got married over Memorial Day Weekend 2016, and the flowers in the garden where we had the ceremony were stunning! We didn't even feel like we needed any other aisle decorations since the garden and backdrop of the water were already so beautiful! There were so many places to take pictures! The guests loved the grounds and there was the most breath-taking sunset during dinner. The tent was also beautiful - it was nice that it already came with flooring and string lights. Karen was also such a pleasure to work with! She was so nice, responsive, and organized. We honestly could not have asked for a better venue for our wedding!!

Sent on 06/05/2016

Amanda · Married on 09/27/2015

Blithewold was amazing during the whole wedding process! We had our ceremony in the garden cocktail hour on the lawn and reception in the tent and everything was absolutely perfect! Karen was a great coordinator! She helped us with rehearsal and making sure everything on the day of was perfect. The grounds are so well maintained and all the flowers and different gardens are amazing. They just built a brand new bridal suit and bathrooms right off the tent site. They are really nice and high class! I would highly recommend this place to anyone who is still in need of a venue!

Sent on 10/14/2015

My husband and I truly enjoyed everything Blithewold offered! The mansion and property are well maintained and provided a gorgeous setting for our big day. And the sun setting over the bay was breathtaking, we can't wait to see the pictures taken!

Karen Bellevance and Donna Bozeman were wonderful to work with! We chose to do be our own wedding planners, which was only possible with Karen's guidance and list of recommended vendors. They were also quick to respond to all of our questions, whether it related to the venue or wedding planning in general. And we have to say that ALL of our vendors complimented Karen and Donna's professionalism the day of. We also dropped off quite a few personal touches and decorations before our wedding. Karen and Donna displayed these items exactly as we hope and it amazed us how quickly Donna and her team packed up these personal items for us and helped us load them into our car following our reception. This allowed my husband and I to quickly meet our guests at the after party.

The Blithewold team allowed my husband and I a stress free day which we will cherish forever!

Sent on 09/24/2015

Caitlyn · Married on 06/20/2015

Blithewold has to be the most perfect venue for a wedding. It has a stunning mansion, breathtaking gardens, and a beautiful ocean/bay view. Our wedding on 6/20/15 was just beautiful. Karen Bellavance is great to work with, and helps execute your day. We were married in the North Garden, with a beautiful cocktail hour on the porch and lawn, followed by a fantastic reception dinner and dancing in the tent. Despite some rain at the end of the evening, and our band shorting out for a bit when the rain affected Blithewold's sound equipment, we had the perfect day. The new bridal suite and bathrooms are absolutely stunning. I would suggest one of the day-of coordinators stays close-by the bridal suite so that it is easier to get in and out. Other than that, we had the most beautiful, perfect day. The location was stunning, and I could not be happier. We visited Blithewold a number of times throughout the planning process, and were always greeted with open arms. Thank you, Karen and team!

Sent on 07/01/2015

Laura · Married on 09/26/2014

We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful venue to hold our wedding. Karen and team ensured that the day ran flawlessly. They were organized, calm, and eased any nervous jitters that we had throughout the day. Karen was extremely helpful and responsive throughout the planning process, always answering e-mails right away and addressing any questions that I had with patience. Everyone commented on how amazing our venue was. From the North Garden where the ceremony was held to having wedding photos taken in the bamboo and along the water, to watching a gorgeous sunset from the reception tent, it was a day that we will never forget. I cannot recommend this venue, along with Karen, highly enough to brides and grooms. It is a spectacular site!

- Laura

Sent on 10/17/2014

Absolutely Beautiful! The staff was organized and amazing! They were very helpful with all of the planning and event coordination. Can not recommend them highly enough!

Sent on 12/07/2014

Jane · Married on 07/26/2014

We would recommend Blithewold to any couple looking to get married. Beautiful grounds and professional, flexible staff. The weather was perfect but we had the mansion as a backup. The guests didn't have to deal with the hassle of Newport traffic. I couldn't imagine getting married anywhere more beautiful. This is where you will want to start your life together.

Sent on 09/18/2014

Gina · Married on 07/20/2014

When my husband and I got engaged in January, my first stop searching for venue location was Blithewold. There was snow on the ground, and we could barely venture out on the grounds without snow boots on. Karen provided us with pictures,and videos to get the feel for the location during the summer months. I couldn't have asked for a better location and an amazing team for our day.

Every single one of our guests commented on how beautiful the mansion and grounds were. It was the first time many of our guests had been there, even though both our families are local to RI.

Karen was great to work with, organized and calm throughout the whole planning process. Her team was so responsive to any requests we had throughout the event. I cannot say enough good things about this venue.

I do recommend hiring vendors that are familiar with Blithewold, especially photographers and videographers as the property is vast and lighting for certain shots takes special timing and having people that know the property was very comforting.

Sent on 07/21/2014

Surraya · Married on 07/06/2014

I'm so glad we picked the Blithewold for our wedding reception and ceremony site. Karen was so organized from the first day we met her and worked closely with my planner to make sure my wedding day was flawless. Our guests couldn't stop complimenting us on the venue, the water views, the lush gardens, and the over all outdoor summer wedding we threw at Blithewold.

Sent on 07/09/2014

Adrienne · Married on 06/28/2014

The grounds are so beautiful, the tent is amazing and Karen is best of all! She worked tirelessly to help us organise our wedding reception. She was always quick to respond and if she was unable to meet with us she organised for someone else to meet us at the time most convenient to us. We were blown away by the beauty of the venue once they had set everything up for us. All the staff there were so helpful from beginning to end and we really felt that our every request and whim was granted. We are so grateful to have had such a stunning venue to celebrate our special day!

Sent on 07/15/2014

Courtney · Married on 06/22/2014

My wife and I had been looking for different places to get married, but weren't committed to anyplace yet. When we turned the corner into Blithewold's driveway, our jaws dropped from how beautiful it was. The huge, beautiful grounds with the gorgeous building took our breath away. We walked in for our meeting with Karen Bellavance, who took us on a tour of the house and explained the location of the ceremony (Overlooking the water as we said our vows... how perfect?) and the tent for the reception (again, with water and sunset views!). She showed us a marketing video that allowed us to see the grounds in different settings and picture albums of previous brides. We were completely in love and Karen was so incredibly helpful with answering all our questions. All of our guests were equally in love with the location, they all kept commenting on how beautiful it was. During cocktail hour and as the sun was setting, our guests roamed the grounds to enjoy a special romantic moment away with their significant others. On the day of the wedding, Karen was there with her staff to make sure everything went smoothly. They guided our guests to their seats and made sure everyone was accommodated. Any time we needed anything, Karen and her staff was one step ahead of us. They were flexible when some of our pictures took a little longer; took it right in stride and still allowed our entrance to go smoothly. They kept constant communication with the vendors - half the time something was being taken care of that we didn't even realize! It was just incredibly perfect and we couldn't have been happier. Beautiful pictures, beautiful weather, beautiful location!

Sent on 06/29/2014
  • Cristina

Cristina · Married on 05/10/2014

Blithewold was beautiful! The staff was wonderful! I fell in love with this venue right from the start. My Husband loved it too! The grounds are so beautiful and well kept. You can't get a bad photograph in this gorgeous garden. Whether inside the mansion or out in the gardens, the whole place is peaceful and serene. I felt like a garden princess among all the tranquility and beauty. The staff was very on top of things. They were so helpful and there for me when I needed. My dress ripped and they were right there with safety pins ready to pin it up so i could enjoy the rest of the evening -which is exactly what I did. Blithewold is a special place and I am so happy they were part of my vendor team. I can'y wait to go back and visit and share the beautiful photographs! Truly a special place full of love and happiness!

Sent on 07/10/2014

Blithewold was the perfect venue for our wedding! My husband and I chose the venue almost 2 years in advance and Karen really worked with us throughout our planning. She was always very quick to respond to any questions we had and was extremely helpful and receptive in making the wedding exactly what we wanted. All of the workers at Blithewold were amazing, especially the night of the wedding. Everything went perfectly, the ceremony started exactly on time, and my husband and I were so impressed with the friendliness of the staff. We really had the most perfect wedding and could not have imagined anything better! Thank you to Blithewold for making it perfect. We would do it all again with them in a heartbeat - which is why you should choose this for your venue!

Sent on 05/09/2014

Donna · Married on 05/03/2014

Our daughter had her wedding ceremony and reception at Blithewold Mansion on 5/3/2014. I can't even begin to tell you how beautiful it was. Karen, the wedding coordinator and her staff are just unbelievably organized and kept everything on tract to make it the best for all of our guests; family and friends have still been calling us to tell us to tell us how nice everything was and everyone was so impressed with Blithewold. It is a beautiful venue to have a wedding and you will not regret it. Absolute perfection!!!

Sent on 05/14/2014
  • User3620473 · 2+ years ago

Blithewold is breathtakingly beautiful! Our photographs came out amazing because there was not one bad spot to take pictures in!

Just as great as the venue was the wedding coordinator, Karen. She was so patient and helpful during the entire planning process!

Sent on 10/21/2013

I’ve been visiting Blithewold with my mom for years and dreamed about having my wedding there but never thought it would happen. I was thrilled when I got a deal on an unreserved date in 2013. Karen was great to work with; kind, responsive, and organized. She was also fabulous about making suggestions when I wasn’t sure what would work best. She made sure the rehearsal ran smoothly as well as the wedding itself. We were able to get beautiful photos with varied backgrounds of the bay, gardens, and mansion. Our guests were amazed at the house and grounds and loved being able to explore.

Sent on 10/08/2013