Bittersweet Pastry Shop Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2013 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2011 Winner

Madeleine T. Married on 10/30/2021

Fantastic wedding cake!

We have all been to weddings with dry cakes - this is not one of them! Bittersweet Weddings made an absolutely delicious wedding cake for us (three tiers with chocolate mousse and white cake with ivy piping). Truly, very tasty. So much so that my husband and I got forks and dug into the cake after cutting it - it was THAT good. Cannot recommend them enough for your Chicago wedding!
    Jessica W. Married on 10/02/2021

Wedding cake

Bittersweet was amazing to work with for our wedding. From the cake tasting, to the planning, to the delivery, everything was amazing. They have a variety of flavors and designs to choose from. The cake not only look beautiful, but it was so delicious I still dream about it! We will be ordering more cakes in the future, and would highly recommend it to any couple!
  • Eugenio
    Eugenio P. Married on 07/09/2021

Delicious and Beautiful Cake!

My wife and I researched what were the best bakeries in Chicago when looking for someone to bake our wedding cake, and Bittersweet consistently showed up on multiple lists and websites, thus, we added them to our list for cake tastings. We did the tastings at a few different bakeries, but Bittersweet topped them all. All the different cakes and fillings we tried tasted amazing! The cakes were fluffy and full-flavored, and the fillings and icings tasted fresh and homemade as opposed to synthetic and mass-produced. Along with this, we were also able to provide an example of the design that we wanted around the cake and asked to be decorated with natural flowers, both requests which they knocked out of the park! I absolutely recommend Bittersweet, as not only did my wife and I love the cake but so did our guests!
  • Molly
    Molly M. Married on 10/31/2020

Delicious Cake!

We had a great experience with BitterSweet. The cake was so delicious and beautiful, all of our guests loved it! We had to move our wedding from April to the fall and had to cut our guest list twice. With every change Bittersweet was really accommodating, understanding and really helpful. I am so glad we went with them and would highly recommend trying them, they have so many great flavor combinations to chose from
  • Zoe
    Zoe G. Married on 09/12/2020

Delicious!!

We were connected with Bittersweet through our planner and are SO happy that we were!!! We had a mini-wedding this year and had a small carrot cake that all of our guests loved. The cake was moist and the perfect flavor and the icing was delicious. Highly recommend!!
  • Leslie
    Leslie C. Married on 07/10/2020

Beautiful and Delicious cake

We were set up with Bittersweet through our venue, but it is in our neighborhood and we wanted to work with them anyway. Nancy was so kind, accommodated our requests, and used our special cake topper. The tasting was delicious and we were able to get a funfetti cake, which is not usually listed as an option. The cake was delicious and turned out beautifully. We are so excited for our 1 year anniversary so we can get another cake to enjoy!
  • Melissa
    Melissa D. Married on 12/31/2019

Beautiful work!

Amazing! My cake should be in magazines! Was the talk of the wedding and also tasted amazing! Thanks!
  • truse17
    Nicole Married on 10/19/2019

Delicious, beautiful wedding cake!

Our wedding cake by Bittersweet was included in our reception package at The Metropolitan Club. We worked with Nancy, who was so flexible! We had a great tasting for 4 people and got to try a wide array of flavors/fillings. She helped me design my wedding cake, and I can't believe how beautiful it was on our wedding day! Not to mention DELICIOUS!! The cake was so moist, the flavors were incredible. I had several guests compliment us on how yummy the cake was. We also get a new small cake for our 1 year anniversary, I can't wait for that treat! I highly recommend picking Bittersweet for your wedding cake!
    Jillian Married on 10/12/2019

Delicious cake and so easy to work with!

We worked with Bittersweet for our wedding cake in October 2019 and it was great! We met with Nancy to do our tasting and everything was delicious- we had a hard time picking just a few flavors! Our cake turned out delicious and we got so many compliments. Plus, Nancy and her team was so easy to work with- we never had to work about a thing!
    Casey Married on 10/12/2019

Easiest decision of wedding planning!

Our caterer had recommended Bittersweet to us and after we did our tasting, it was an easy decision to use them! They have a wide variety of cake and filling flavors that you can mix-and-match however you like (talk about a fun tasting!). Nancy was super nice, helped us determine the appropriate size cake for our wedding size and was flexible when we changed our minds on cake filling. Even our venue coordinator raved about Bittersweet! We highly recommend!
  • Jessica
    Jessica M. Married on 09/20/2019

Amazing from start to finish!

Bittersweet is soooo good! I think my favorite part was the tasting, haha. They give you so many cake flavor combinations to choose from and also have you try their small desserts, if you'd prefer that over cake...or both! I requested a simple design for the cake and it looked perfect. Everyone said it was delicious and I completely agree.
  • Alyssa
    Alyssa K. Married on 09/07/2019

Beautiful & Delicious

Bittersweet has always been our favorite cafe & bakery in the city, and our experience with our wedding cake was nothing short of amazing! The cake was beautifully decorated and tasted delicious. From the beginning of the process, the Bittersweet team was responsive and very helpful. We would highly recommend them to any couple planning their big day.
  • Corinne
    Corinne C. Married on 08/10/2019

Delicious delicious

Bittersweet made our cake and other various sweets for our wedding just over a week ago. All I can tell you is that I don’t even like cake and I was scrambling for seconds...it was that good! Nancy is super personable and easy to work with. She accommodated all my requests. We would recommend Bittersweet whole-heartedly and without reservation! Thank you Bittersweet!
  • Jenn
    Jenn Married on 06/01/2019

Guests could not stop talking about how delicious the cake was!

I am so glad that the bakery that the Odyssey Lake Michigan cruises (our wedding venue) has a contract with is Bittersweet Bakery. Nancy was so easy to work with, and so accommodating of all our requests and the multiple times that we changed our minds about the cake design throughout the decision-making process. My husband, two sisters, and I had so much fun at the cake tasting trying out different fillings and cake flavors, and our final flavor combination picks were DELICIOUS (which Nancy helped to guide us through). Things were such a whirlwind on wedding day that my husband and I only got one small bite of cake (the one we fed each other when we cut the cake). We had been so looking forward to eating cake again on our wedding day, but we were too busy talking to guests the rest of the evening to realize that slices of cake had been put down at our table! However, we got so, so many compliments from our guests saying how good the cake was, and my husband and I are so excited to have cake again during our anniversary!
  • W
    Will K. Married on 05/25/2019

Amazing and Tasteful Wedding Cake

I can not say enough about our wedding cake. It was a simple white buttercream wedding cake, but my goodness it was beautiful and absolutely tasty. We loved every minute of working with the Bittersweet Pastry Shop team, and would recommend them to anyone looking for a timeless and wonderful wedding cake.
  • Neil
    Neil S. Married on 05/05/2019

Great Cinnamon Roll Cake

We had two cakes for our wedding - one traditional cake and one cinnamon roll cake for our Sunday brunch wedding. We couldn't find many bakeries in Chicago that was willing to create a cinnamon roll cake but Bittersweet was ecstatic to make one. And it tasted AMAZING! So glad we went with Bittersweet for our wedding cake vendor.

Bittersweet Pastry Shop's reply:

Hi Neil,

We are so happy to hear you loved your cinnnamon cake and we loved being a part of your big day!
  • Kay
    Kay B. Married on 03/16/2019

Best wedding cake ever

We went to bittersweet with a special request for a funfetti wedding cake, and they went above and beyond to make sure our cake was exactly what we wanted! I would recommend them to anyone! The cake was delicious, and I scarfed down two pieces for breakfast the day after the wedding :)
    Tiffany Married on 07/27/2018
    Nancy and her team are fabulous. We had a great tasting and our cake turned out just beautiful. And of course delicious. We receibed many compliments. Highly recommend.
  • Joshua
    Joshua Married on 05/26/2018
    From the first moment we walked into meet with Bittersweet we knew they were going to help us make our wedding special. Our guests absolutely loved our wedding cake, with not even a crumb left over. Our sweets table was a HUGE hit as well with guests going back multiple times for a small bite throughout the evening. Can't wait for our 1 year anniversary to enjoy our anniversary cake!
    Catherine Married on 11/03/2017
    Bittersweet was one of two bakeries our venue contracted with, which we were thrilled about because they are right by our condo! We decided to go with cupcakes and then a small 8 Inch round cake to cut. When we went for the tasting, I couldn’t believe how much they gave us and how HARD I️t was to choose! Everything was so delicious! When we saw our cake and cupcake setup the day of the wedding, we were very impressed! Everyone loved the variety of cupcakes we had. Definitely go with Bittersweet!
  • Amber
    Amber Married on 09/23/2017
    We had the choice of two bakeries with our venue selection for our wedding. We chose to go with bittersweet because we felt like it tasted better than the other bakery. We also liked that rather than having us freeze the first layer of our cake for our anniversary, they give you an anniversary certificate to get a small cake to celebrate. Our display cake was actually a faux cake, but you couldn't tell from looking at it! It was beautiful and the sheet cakes they provided looked like they were cut straight from the cake. I would definitely recommend them!
    Rachel Married on 09/23/2017
    Absolutely loved working with Bittersweet. At the cake tasting they bring out samples of cake and filling and you get to mix and match as you taste to figure out what you want. So if you know you want their fudge cake, but aren’t sure which of the fillings you want it with you can try it with all of them. We got so many compliments on the cake during the reception and one person ask for the name of the bakery to pass on to her son who is now engaged. We are looking forward to the fresh backed anniversary cake next year. Best part is the anniversary cake is part of the package.
    Michelle Married on 09/09/2017
    We had the cake from Bittersweet included in our wedding package from The Metropolitan Club and couldn't be happier! Nancy was very helpful and accommodating and she let us choose 2 flavors for our wedding cake. We choose red velvet with passion fruit curd and carrot cake with cream cheese filling and they were both to die for! All our guests were commenting that they loved the cake!
    Amanda Married on 09/04/2017
    Nancy and her team at Bittersweet are fantastic! Nancy was responsive throughout the process, updating the invoice every time the guest count changed, and even emailing us at 11:00 the night before to nail down the delivery time.

I knew from the minute we sat down for the tasting, they were going to do our cake. The tasting was professional, they offered coffee and tea, and they brought out a beautifully arranged plate of all their different sponges, fillings, and icings. We came so close to a carrot cake and banana bread wedding cake - that's how good everything was! The cake was beautiful when it arrived, and they did a great job of interpreting our wedding style into a cake (which was - we have no clue, just make it timeless!). Everyone loved the cake, and we had no leftovers at the end of the night - my parents took home four pieces!
    Katherine Married on 09/03/2017
    Our wedding cake was PERFECT! It was light, flavorful, not too sweet, the perfect texture and totally beautiful. We had a 3-tiered hazelnut cake with chocolate mousse filling and traditional vanilla buttercream. Our guests could not stop complimenting how delicious our cake was. And it was the perfect size for our 110 guests. We had 4 slices left over, which was just the right amount to take to our honeymoon suite after the reception!

Bittersweet Bakery also really went above and beyond by providing a beautiful, etched gold cake stand at no additional charge that gave our cake such a polished and finished look. AND we did not have to worry about saving the top tier because as a part of our contract Bittersweet will make our anniversary cake fresh! We would highly recommend Bittersweet for any special occasion.