AvantGarden Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2015 Winner

• James
    James B. Married on 02/13/2022

AvantGarden is THE Perfect Wedding Venue

AvantGarden was an amazing venue for our wedding, and without a doubt the right choice. The patio was beautifully decorated with twinkle lights, elegant chandeliers, white linens, and hanging lanterns that mixed with the outdoor greenery that created an un-matched atmosphere. The entire staff were friendly, and served/assisted our guests with a warm welcoming attitude - as if they were another happy guest who were excited to be part of our big day. Like every other wedding, we had our fair share of hiccups - but they were handled swiftly and professionally by the owner and wedding coordinator Mariana. She went above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed our day, and kept as much off our plate as she could. We can't thank her enough for all her efforts. We're still hearing from friends and family about how much fun they had, and how beautiful the wedding was.
    Diana R. Married on 02/05/2022
      5.0 out of 5 rating

So happy with Avant Garden!

It’s been a little over a month since our beautiful wedding at Avant Garden, and we could not have chosen a better venue for our families and friends to celebrate such an important day with us. From our first meeting with Mariana, we knew we’d found the right place. Avant Garden is such a charming old house with plenty of indoor and outdoor space, very centrally located in Montrose (the neighborhood where my wife and I met and spent so much of the early years of our relationship), and the available wedding packages make planning such a breeze - we were incredibly happy to let Mariana and her team take care of the catering (El Palomo is INCREDIBLE – our guests still rave to us about how much they enjoyed the tacos and the taco truck setup), beautiful flower arrangements (around the venue as well as centerpieces, corsages, boutonnieres, etc), linens, valet parking, DJ, and amazing wedding cake. We brought our own photographer and photo booth and Avant Garden handled everything else! Throughout the process Mariana was able to help us make decisions based on her years of experience and was also very flexible in accommodating a pandemic-related postponement. Wedding day execution was flawless - every single member of her team is so warm and friendly, and they made sure our guests had such a fun time. It’s impressive how quickly and seamlessly they transition the space from ceremony to dinner while guests are none the wiser as they enjoy cocktail hour on the front patio, and on our particularly chilly wedding day the heat lamps were more than adequate to make sure no one was uncomfortable. The upstairs dance floor was so much fun, and Mariana’s recommendation that we put our photo booth up there was spot-on. Bars are located outside, inside and upstairs, so no one is ever very far from more dancefloor fuel. Absolutely get the sparkler send-off too – it was great. We wholeheartedly recommend Avant Garden and Mariana for your wedding.
  • illustration stars

Are you interested?

Send a message
    Stephen Married on 01/28/2022
      5.0 out of 5 rating

Best wedding venue in Houston by far

Absolutely the best wedding. Mariana and her staff made the planning and execution of our wedding easy and stressless. The recommended vendors were also spectacular (especially the photographer and the food truck).

Mariana was patient with us as we postponed the wedding several times due to the pandemic. A lot of my friends saw price hikes and canceled plans, but Mariana thoroughly explained the differences in cost and worked with us to keep the cost at the original price although her and her staff were affected by the pandemic.
  • Brandon
    Brandon D. Married on 01/22/2022

Simply Excellent from Start to Finish

Had our wedding and reception here on a Saturday and couldn't be happier with how everything turned out. Mariana is an absolute all-star, and her venue is unbeatable for 100-125 guests. All 3 bars were stocked and staffed by fantastic bartenders. Her DJ was outstanding and easy to work with - I sent him a list of songs for each phase, he picked up the vibe and rolled with it. The lighting, decor, flowers, succulents... literally everything Mariana put together was amazing and I'm eternally grateful to her for putting it all together and coordinating all the fine details. 11/10
  • W
    William P. Married on 01/15/2022

Married at Avant!

Avant Garden is a fantastic wedding venue and Mariana is an amazing wedding coordinator! Her team pulled off a great wedding for us under challenging conditions. She was extremely flexible and professional during the whole engagement. Everything was beautiful from the decor, to the music, the food, the cake. Everything. You won't regret choosing Avant Garden!
  • Rhonna
    Rhonna Married on 01/08/2022
      5.0 out of 5 rating

Everything we wanted & stress-free!

We would highly recommend AvantGarden for the central location, beautiful outdoor patios, and stress-free planning process. AvantGarden's customizable packages mean you can be as hands-on or hands-off as you'd like. My husband and I are both very busy so it was important that we choose an all-inclusive package with a vendor we could trust to run the show. Owner and coordinator, Mariana, was that person - she is a pro! I showed her my Pinterest inspiration boards for florals, table settings, decor, etc, and she added in suggestions and executed flawlessly. She coordinated with our other vendors, moved our schedule along day of, and was communicative and responsive throughout. There was a lot of uncertainty with COVID, our fluctuating guest list, and the weather, but Mariana was accommodating and worked with us to ensure our day went smoothly. The venue was beautiful, and we all had so much fun - our guests are still raving about their specialty cocktails and how magical the whole evening was. Wedding planning can be so stressful, and my husband and I are grateful that ours was a breeze. Everything turned out even better than we had envisioned, and we could actually enjoy it. Thank you AvantGarden and Mariana!
  • Y
    Yiming Married on 01/01/2022

Truly Magical Wedding Night

Having my wedding at AvantGarden was a DREAM COME TRUE, truly MAGICAL experience! The venue is so unique and everywhere you look could be a frame of art with one of kind decorations, sculptures, fountains, plants, staircases, etc... It is also unbelievable to watch the area transform into wedding venue with the drapes, flowers, amazing center pieces and candles etc - truly unique, romantic, intimate atmosphere.

Mariana was an absolute pleasure to work with. We had a difficult wedding planning process navigating through COVID and multiple postpones/reschedules. Mariana was always calm, professional, kind, and acted as our emotional support during this process. She has so much experience planning/coordinating weddings at the venue and it was amazing to watch her work and learning how passionate she is about the venue and what she does for the community. Mariana also gave us multiple amazing vendor referrals for the local area such as photographer and cake, which made the planning process a lot easier.
    Food and music were also fantastic and so memorable. All the guests enjoyed the Taco Truck , snacks, and amazing drinks that were served at the wedding. Many still raved about the tacos many days after the wedding. DJ was awesome and we had the best dance party!
    Thank you Mariana for an unforgettable night!!
    James R. Married on 12/18/2021

An amazing experience!

My husband and I were married at Avant Gardens in December 2021. The event was beautiful and romantic and incredibly fun. Every detail was thought out and executed perfectly. I have been told by many friends that their wedding day was stressful and that they spent so much time worrying about the details that they barely had time to enjoy themselves. This was not the case for us. We were so well taken care of that our only job that day was to have fun and enjoy every moment. Our meetings with Mariana prior to the event were wonderful. She listened to our ideas and offered guidance. On the date of the wedding every element of the wedding and reception reflected our ideas and elevated them. The place settings, flowers, cake, food and décor all exceeded our expectations. We could not have been more pleased with our experience. It was truly the happiest day of my life.
  • Betsy
    Betsy H. Married on 10/31/2021

Wonderful, Flexible for our Experience

We had our wedding this past Halloween and I must say, that it was beyond what we could have hoped and dreamed for. A major fear of ours was, with the package deals Avant Garden provides, that we would end up with a cookie-cutter kind of wedding when we had really specific ideas of what we wanted, particularly in respect to decor. But Mariana nailed it...I mean, nailed it. We got rid of a lot of the traditional stuff, and she was flexible enough to roll with that.

We had a small wedding (40 people), but the venue could easily accommodate many, many more people. It has some nice centralized locations for many people to gather, but because it's an older, interesting house, it has a lot of nooks and crannies for people to get away if they want to have a quieter conversation.

They want you to use their taco truck (I believe it's called El Palomo...don't quote me on that). If that sounds like a great idea to you, trust us, it was, and you can skip over the next sentence. If that sounds tacky to you, I will say it came out a lot more elegant than we pictured...it was a buffet style, but there were also really nice vegetable and potato dishes that came along with it. I should also say that we are vegan, and we had critical mass of vegans show up to the point where we decided to make all the food vegan. Not only did they accommodate us, but we got great feedback on the food from both the vegans and the meat eaters alike.

We had our wedding on Halloween night, and I can say that it perfectly met the aesthetic vision we had for our wedding. If you're looking for a reasonably priced, beautiful venue, this place is for you. If you have even a hint of goth in your soul, this place is DEFINITELY for you. And if you're planning a Hallowedding? Book it now.
    Jade Married on 09/18/2021

Best Wedding Venue Ever!

I wish I had enough words to capture how amazing our wedding at AvantGarden was. The venue is absolutely stunning and so unique. From the cozy little attic suite where you can get dressed to the sparkly twinkle lights adorning the beautiful outdoor areas, every bit of AvantGarden feels like a magical secret garden hidden in the middle of Montrose. Mariana (the owner/coordinator) is spectacular. She’s a genuine rock star and made my entire wedding planning process entirely stress-free. I didn’t want to deal with detailed wedding planning myself, so we selected the all-inclusive package and Mariana took care of literally everything (cake, flowers, food, DJ…everything!). The only thing I had to do was find a photographer, officiant, and dress. Also, we ended up having to move our wedding from 2020 to 2021 due to COVID, and Mariana was incredibly accommodating and understanding.

The all-inclusive package was a godsend. Pricing was incredibly reasonable (I don’t think you’ll find a better deal in Houston), and every little detail that Mariana and her team planned for our wedding was perfect. Her daughter Minerva designed my bouquets and flower arrangements, and they were gorgeous. I only needed to send her a couple of sample pictures and she created a bouquet even more beautiful than I’d imagined. We rented the taco truck for dinner and it was a HUGE hit – many of our guests told us it was the best wedding food they’ve ever had. Mariana has truly thought of everything to make your wedding fantastic. Throughout the entire wedding planning process, I knew that she had everything under control, and I hardly had to lift a finger!

All of our friends and family had a fantastic time and kept saying it was one of the best weddings they’d ever attended. So unique, fun, low-key, and beautiful…we never wanted the night to end! I told all of our friends to get married at AvantGarden so we can attend more weddings there. I cannot recommend Mariana and her team enough – they are fantastic, genuine people who truly want to give you the best wedding ever!!
    Steve C. Married on 06/05/2021

Out of this world!

Our experience at Avant Garden was nothing short of perfect. From the original planning to flexible customizations to execution on the day of, Mariana and her team made our day as special as anyone dreams of. Food is A++, and the lack of stress leading up to the event allowed us to simply enjoy ourselves.
    Him&Her W. Married on 05/29/2021

Victorian bungalow near downtown Houston

We wanted it all: classic city chic meets bohemian dream, a unique party atmosphere, and a stress-free experience. Well we sure got all of that and more by having our celebration at AvantGarden! Mariana handled everything from the planning and decorating to the day-of coordination. After 7 lucky years of being together, we wanted a wedding that was truly special, representing our growth in a city with a lot of fun and love to offer. Not only did we create memories we'll never forget, we will be able to visit AvantGarden as we continue to grow together. We are so grateful to Mariana, her daughter, and her amazing staff that helped our out-of-town guests stay cool and comfortable down here in the heat of Houston while they partied throughout the venue late into the night. Mariana coordinated the taco truck Taqueria el Palomo for catering the wedding, and everyone loved this unique delicious dinner option! If you are ready to finally start the next chapter of your lives together and are looking for a beautiful, transformative venue at which to turn the page, we absolutely recommend AvantGarden.
  • Brittany
    Brittany Married on 05/01/2021
      5.0 out of 5 rating

A wedding for the books!

Avant Garden was everything we could have imagined for our May 1 wedding and much, much more! Buckle up for a full review. (I’m on my honeymoon now but had to get this out now!)

We stumbled upon Avant Garden while searching for the perfect venue for 150 guests. The pandemic, however, forced us to scale down and the owner Mariana worked with us, reassuring us that we could have just as beautiful and fun of a wedding with less people. As you can imagine, this felt like such a tough decision for me and my husband (I was sad people couldn’t make it). We had our doubts, but thanks to Mariana, we regret nothing!

First off, the ambiance of this space is so beautiful and has a classic, antiquated feel. Having a mansion with an outdoor patio with a bar, and two bars indoors was like a playground for our guests. It was the perfect size.

We went with an all inclusive package, in which Mariana takes care of everything and acts as a day of coordinator! This took off a load of stress while planning. I sent her photos of my dream bouquet, flowers and wedding arch — she matched it to the T! The table settings were gorgeous. She truly went above and beyond, helped seamlessly guide us through the day’s events and incorporated any personal decorations I brought. The guys loved the cigar bar Mariana set up on the balcony! (Mariana is also very laid back and does a lot of correspondence through text and email, which is great to keep track of things — both for you and her. She also does select in-person meetings but she really does not need hand-holding. You can tell she’s done enough weddings. Just tell her what you want and she will deliver and offer you suggestions!)

Food: Mariana set up a lovely charcuterie board and appetizer platter for guests. We went with the taco truck for dinner (the al pastor tacos, rice and beans are my absolute favorite!). This truck was important to us because my husband and I had tacos on our very first date lol. It was a hit!! The guests loved this and keep telling us how good the food was.

Music: Mariana also hired DJ Forte, who kept our guests dancing all night with many of our requests (guests who were live-streaming loved our playlist and his song choices!). DJ Forte fit the changing moods of the wedding perfectly, kept the after party jumping (literally! We were jumping up and down) and he was able to make last minute changes for our official dances with our parents. I will never forget asking Mariana if our dance floor was ready — Yes, my grandmother was already on the floor dancing by herself!

Drinks: We went with an open bar up to a certain limit and then cash bar. Mariana worked with us to determine that limit. The bartenders were phenomenal, accommodating and so sweet! It was lovely seeing them interact with my family and having lively conversations. We were completely satisfied.

Inclusivity: I could rave about our wedding all day, but another thing I want to add was that it was really important to me to be in a space that values diversity and inclusivity. My family and friends are comprised of people of color and people from the LGBTQ community. I nearly went with a venue that was in a Texas town known to not be as welcoming or diverse. And when the pandemic looked bad, I nearly opted for a small dinner in a space that would have been pretty boring in comparison.

Avant Garden is and has been a lovely space for a long time that has welcomed and given space to all types of people with its open mics; comedy, drag and burlesque shows; and jazz nights (we came to a jazz and burlesque show before the wedding and came for pizza night. So fun!).

Another thing: while I was sad to scale back my wedding from 150 to 30, this was one of the best parties I have ever been to. I would choose a small wedding at Avant Garden over and over again. I’m also excited that now my husband, our family and friends can come back to Avant Garden basically any day of the week to relive some of our big day again and again and eat the delicious tacos.

With the hectic past year that we’ve had, I am SO glad that we went through with our wedding at Avant Garden. Mariana, thank you! And to your staff, BRAVO. You have left me, my husband, friends and family with memories that we’ll cherish forever!
  • Kristie
    Kristie C. Married on 04/10/2021

Dream wedding day!

I could not say enough good things. Mariana and her team are exceptional! She was so calm which kept me calm the day of the wedding. We went the with more expensive all inclusive package and it was worth every penny. Our friends and family loved the venue and the tacos were amazing. We can’t wait to go back to celebrate our many anniversaries!
    Ashton W. Married on 03/06/2021
      5.0 out of 5 rating

Amazing! Made our wedding beautiful and stress-free!

I cannot recommend AvantGarden highly enough! They did everything except perform the ceremony itself. The venue owner is absolutely amazing, and her flower arrangements for the tables are breathtaking!
    The flowers, table arrangements, crystal glassware, DJ, catering, service, full-service bar, and beautiful decorations were included for a very reasonable price. Everything was beautiful and Mariana made sure personal details were included and made a focus of the decor. She also listened and addressed any concerns we had in consultation, the day was virtually stress-free for us!
    Mariana and her daughter are amazing!
    Bridget Married on 03/02/2021
      5.0 out of 5 rating

Our Reception was perfect!

My husband and I had eloped and wanted to find a place that fit our personalities to hold our reception and everything about Avantgarden was exactly what we were hoping to find. Mariana was amazing and so helpful picking the right package for our night. The entire team was great- the bartenders, the people who set up and took down tables, just everyone was so helpful and made the evening go smoothly. It is probably the only place inside the City or Houston that is affordable and BEAUTIFUL. We did not want to spend a fortune on this night because we were already married and this was exactly what we hoped for. I cannot say enough good things about this place!! It really was a magical night.
    Geary B. Married on 12/04/2020
      5.0 out of 5 rating

Charming venue with a magical backdrop , Professional staff. Relaxing to work with .

From start to finish, Mariana made our wedding dreams come true. We came to AvantGarden with little hope that we could salvage our Vegas wedding that had to be cancelled. With little more than 10 days to plan .. the staff of AvantGarden met the challenge and exceeded our expectations. They cater to as little or as much of the planning you need them to do . They are prompt, knowledgeable and beyond helpful. The venue is rustic , charming and hip which offers a flexible backdrop no mater what the theme would be . The service was spectacular in the outdoor garden which is covered and has its own walk up bar. We expected it to be chilly weather and they were prepared with outdoor heating . Mariana was attentive and accommodating with wise advice to help the evening go smoothly . The bartender Chris made amazing drinks , great recommendations and was friendly and conversational with the guests . The night started and ended perfectly. I am beyond happy with my experience. If you are looking for a wedding venue in the Houston area, this is it. No need to look further. You won’t regret it!!!!
    Mckenzie W. Married on 11/11/2020

Unique, Enchanting, Exactly What We Wanted

My husband Michael and I have been hanging at Avant Garden for years: we used to have tango classes upstairs, and we're there most Monday nights for live jazz or to meet friends for drinks. We'd seen Mariana showing the place to prospective couples time and time again, so when we got engaged, we knew right away we wanted to have our wedding there.

Avant Garden as wedding venue did not disappoint -- in fact, it blew us away! Mariana works so well with couples and makes the process so easy. As someone who plans large events for work I know how stressful and complicated it can be contrasting different quotes and vendors and trying to pin down every single detail, even details you've never thought of before.

Having our wedding at Avant Garden made planning so straightforward, with Mariana asking us all the right questions to help us think through exactly what we wanted for our day. She is a true industry professional and yet engages with the personalism of a friend.

The space is totally unique and beautiful. It shows up great in pictures and feels like an enchanted garden, with courtyard hangings, all kinds of plants and greenery, and a darling spiral staircase. Mariana works with you so that you can customize as much as you would like (she can provide a dj; we chose to bring our own; that worked just as well) and she can take care of the rest.

We highly recommend Avant Garden as a wedding venue, event space, and classic all-around neighborhood bar. Thank you to Mariana and the team!

AvantGarden's reply:

McKenzie and Michael,
    I was very excited when you choose us for your wedding. It was a lot of fun to assist you with your special day. Your wedding was beautiful, your family and guests were great.
    Best wishes from the AvantGarden team.
    I hope you come back soon for Jazz and pizza :)
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy K. Married on 11/07/2020
      5.0 out of 5 rating

AvantGarden gave us a perfect wedding, despite Covid

AvantGarden is the perfect wedding venue! The grounds are gorgeous and Mariana (the owner) and her team do a great job to decorate it up on wedding day. They have lots of plants around the venue, making for some nice picture backdrops. The historic house is also gorgeous and has a lot of character. There is lots of space with different areas for mingling and dancing, from the covered back patio area, front garden, and upstairs with a balcony. Covid disrupted our initial plans (more on that later), so we had a small, 25 person wedding instead, with pizza from the wood burning oven, which is SO GOOD! We keep going back on Mondays to get more pizza and chat with Mariana. They also have a taco truck that will cater the wedding, which is really good too.

Mariana and her team are professionals at throwing weddings. They will handle pretty much everything for you - all we had to do was find a photographer and officiant.  Mariana serves as your wedding planner also and she does a great job with pre-wedding planning and logistics during the ceremony and reception. She made the planning process so easy, calmed all our nerves and gave us a perfect wedding. She genuinely cares about getting to know the couples and enjoys her work, which shows in the flawless execution.

Mariana was also very helpful and accommodating during Covid. We were originally scheduled for April 2020 and Mariana immediately rescheduled us for November 2020. When Covid didn't slow down, she suggested a small wedding Nov 2020 for a nominal fee and then pushing the big wedding back to our one year anniversary in 2021. And we are so glad we did! We still had a wonderful ceremony and mini reception in 2020, but can have our dream wedding with all our friends and family after everyone is vaccinated. All of this just to explain how great Mariana is.

Overall, it was a perfect wedding and we wouldn't have changed a thing (except no Covid of course..). From the flowers, to the pizza & drinks, the gorgeous venue and even the DJ. Everything was perfect. We can't wait to do it all again this November!
  • Ashley
    Ashley N. Married on 10/24/2020

Wedding Bliss ✨

Mariana was the best from my first inquiry to beyond my wedding day. She did everything in less than 2 months and took the stress right off of me when covid ruined our original wedding plans with another venue. We got married on 10.24 & people are still complimenting the venue food and the service!
    Emily M. Married on 09/13/2020

AvantGarden is awesome!

I cannot recommend AvantGarden enough! Mariana and her team did so well with the wedding and she was so helpful during the planning process. She took care of so many little things that I hadn’t even thought about and the wedding was so beautiful.
    Jasmine Married on 09/12/2020
      5.0 out of 5 rating

An Easy Pick for a Venue and Services!

We had our wedding reception at Avant Garden on 12/21/2019 and it was everything we hoped for and more. You cannot beat the value! From the beginning Mariana assured us not to worry and she was absolutely right. When we were initially interested, she was very prompt in her responses and even dealt with all the questions from my mother. She is very flexible with your needs. We opted for the All Inclusive Package with some modifications. We had a couple meetings before the big day to finalize some details and it was fantastic. Mariana was always there coordinating and keeping us on schedule. She even did a great job accommodating all my guests and we had at least 180 people. Please do the taco truck--these are literally some of the best tacos in town. And at the last minute we decided to do the pizza--highly recommend, it was a great late night treat for guests! I received so many compliments about how great the venue was, how tasty the food was and how it was the most fun ever. That's what Mariana cared about. Trust in Mariana and the team at Avant Garden and you won't be disappointed---you will be the chillest bride leading up to the big day!
    Garuz K. Married on 07/09/2020
      5.0 out of 5 rating

Testimony of a spell caster

HOW I FOUND FAVOR IN THE HANDS OF Dr. Ken....
    My name is Garuz Armstrong, and I am from the USA Washington. I have always promised to recommend you to the people out there who might also need your help, because finding your Email was the best thing that has ever happened to me, Dr. Ken you're the most considerate and compassionate man i have known. I was so down after being loveless for almost five years. I requested a reuniting love spell and amazingly it worked. I am happily living with the most lovely man alive and that is what I have been praying for. Thank you Dr. Ken would not be enough, considering what you have done for me so I decided to share this testimony of your hand work to the whole world to know about your good work for me. You can Contact this man for any relationship issues and he will also help you as well, via his Email: Drkenlovespell@gmail.com or call/whatsApp him on+1(201) 992-1012

AvantGarden's reply:

I believe you posted this review in the wrong site.
    This is AvantGarden Houston
    Please remove it. Thank you
    Jenny Married on 07/03/2020

Best venue in houston!

Avant Garden was an absolute dream reception venue. Our wedding was on March 7, and the weather was perfect for the covered patio vibe. Mariana completely transformed the venue - the greenery was lit up by christmas lights, the tables and centerpieces were beautiful and colorful, and the entire environment was intimate, organic, and vibrant. The taco truck food was delicious. The bartenders were great and there were bars everywhere. It was also so helpful to know that Mariana was also in charge of all the details of the day. I did not have to hire a wedding coordinator. The dancing was awesome as well. The 2nd floor balcony was fantastic to go outside and cool off and chat with friends! And the 2nd floor bar made getting drinks very convenient as well. The grand exit was also perfect - I had a dress change and Mariana helped ensure everyone was ready with sparklers as we walked out of the venue and straight onto the bus to our afterparty location. Overall great time. Thanks for making our wedding day so fabulous!
illustration stars