Amanda VanVels Photography Reviews

Amanda VanVels Photography 4
Amanda VanVels Photography 5
  • Mia

Mia Helminiak · Married on 10/20/2018

makes you feel so at ease, you want her to be your new bff!

Amanda was the sweetest, best photographer I could have ever wanted for our wedding. I feel weird in front of a camera, especially in intimate moments, and I somehow get a weird staged face when I know my picture is being taken. Taking couples photos felt easy, because Amanda made me feel relaxed and actually made us enjoy a little time together, away from the party. Communication with Amanda was outstanding, I immediately felt like she was my friend and would recommend her 100%.

Sent on 01/09/2019
    Amanda VanVels Photography 6
    Amanda VanVels Photography 7
    Amanda VanVels Photography 8
    Amanda VanVels Photography 9
    Amanda VanVels Photography 10

Lisa · Married on 10/15/2016

I've been a fan of Amanda's work for several years. As a native Michigander, I'd run into her work on social media, and began following it for several years-- way before I ever thought about to whom/how/when I'd get married, and certainly not what that day would be like. I was just so drawn to her ability to capture gorgeous, life-filled images of families and couples coming together. When my partner of many years and I decided to (finally) get married, I got right on trying to book Amanda for our photos. We were married in Minnesota and on a relatively short timeframe (3 months of planning), and all of the logistics, planning, and decisions about photos were totally supported by her long-distance. She was incredibly helpful to me (especially after I dubbed myself the 'dead-beat bride') in planning the schedule for our wedding day, because, well, she's been to TONS of weddings. Expert! When we received the final product we were just blown away-- incredible pictures of us, people we love, the beautiful space where we held our wedding... Uniquely ours, but with her signature style that we love. What stands out the most to me about working with Amanda is her attention to capturing the entire experience of our wedding-- and what it meant to us-- through still images. nI think couples also get incredible value in working with Amanda-- her wedding package pricing seemed very comparable, she was incredibly flexible and reliable, we received tons of images, the were so beautiful and full of the emotion of the day.

Sent on 12/19/2016

leah · Married on 07/02/2016

Amanda photographed our engagement session & wedding this past July. She was great to work with and most importantly our photos are amazing! She is super sweet and easy going, good at guiding you and helping you with locations/poses and also totally open to incorporating anything you want/any suggestions or ideas you have into her work. She was professional, reliable, prepared, sent all our photos to us within the promised time frame and we got numerous compliments from friends & family regarding how beautiful our photos are. We are thrilled that Amanda was our photographer and would definitely recommend her to others! Thanks Amanda!!

Sent on 03/04/2017

Sharon · Married on 03/12/2016

My husband and I had an amazing experience working with Amanda for our wedding and engagement photos. We are both Art Directors in the advertising and design field, so you can only imagine our scrutinizing eye when it came to the photography on our big day. For Amanda’s photography style, quality and coverage, her prices were beyond reasonable. My husband and I are also used to working with photographers behind the camera, not in front of it, and her warm personality really made the whole shoot a lot less awkward for us.

The overall process, was such a breeze. She was collaborative and respectfully provided her expertise and point of view when we needed it. We provided a shot list of all the shots we really wanted captured on the day, and agreed on when photos will be delivered. All of which she fulfilled. She even packaged up all the printed photos in a beautiful wooden box with matching USB drive.

She did such a beautiful job capturing the day, we even got featured on wedding blogs!

Sent on 01/13/2017
  • User5302022 · 2+ years ago

I'm so glad we used Amanda as our photographer! She was really great to work with, super nice and made us feel comfortable and directed us gently. She delivered our photos to us exactly when she said she would, and we LOVE THEM! She was a total professional and didn't miss a thing. I couldn't be more pleased with how they turned out!

Sent on 11/12/2015

Lauren · Married on 08/08/2015

What a pleasure it was to be able to work with Amanda. Living out of state I relied on referrals from the first two vendors we booked and I was given the name of two photographers. Those referrals were already hired on our wedding date, however they BOTH suggested Amanda as an alternate. I am SO glad that those other photographers were not available because Amanda did an INCREDIBLE job! People cannot stop talking about how gorgeous the wedding looked and how great our pictures came out. When I looked Amanda up online before contacting her I was very impressed with her online gallery, however I can honestly say I'm not sure this portfolio does her work justice! My husband is obsessed with the pictures, my mom is calling dibs on some of them for her Christmas card, our sister-in-law ordered a huge print of the family for her home, and so on! Everyone wants copies of these pictures! If you are looking to duplicate wedding shot ideas found on Pinterest, Amanda may not be your girl (although she will probably accommodate you). When we go through our album, it is as if we are reliving the day and we could not be happier.

Sent on 11/15/2015

2.8
      3.0
      1.0

I think Amanda is an amazing photographer which is why I was willing to pay what I would consider a lot for her. Its a big investment but after looking at her photos for hours I knew it was a good decision.
    The day of my wedding everything went as planned she showed up, took photos, was very friendly & did a great job.
    In her contract it states final delivery of images would be approx 8 weeks. I accepted this, but hoped that maybe we would get to see 3-5 photos before then. Nine weeks after our wedding & we still had not seen a single photo. I emailed her after 10 wks hoping she would give us a sneak of our photos. A week went by & I didn't even hear anything from her. I facebooked her & she messaged me right back saying we would get a preview the next day. The next day comes & goes & no preview. 2 weeks later I decide to message her again & she says they would be up shortly. Finally 12.5 weeks after our wedding we got to see our photos. She also sends out a flash drive with all the photos & the rights to them. When she last emailed me, she said she would be sending out the flash drive to us the next day. More than 2 weeks go by & we still did not have it. I emailed her again asking what was going on & what to expect (how it was sent, if there was a tracking #) & have yet to hear back from her....but we did FINALLY receive the flash drive close to 2.5 weeks after she said she would mail it.
    I'm a very reasonable person & I know that our wedding was not #1 on her mind 24/7 and thats OK, but I do expect to be treated respectfully & like I'm a valued customer of hers. Its unfortunate that I'm having to write a review like this, because she has a lot of talent & honestly I could've dealt with the delay in everything if she had treated us well. It also frustrated me that she was posting her vacation photos as well as other couples engagement previews that were taken WELL after our wedding before we got to see a single photo

Sent on 01/16/2014

Sasha · Married on 09/21/2013

0.4
      0.0
      0.5

I was greatly disappointed in Amanda on so many levels.
    The day of she showed up and hear that when she did photos of my groom and his groomsmen they asked to do a few fun photos and she flat out said no. The only pose she would do is everyone standing in a straight line with their shoulders squared to the camera.
    On your wedding day getting all the photos you need is not the first thing on your mind.She never mentioned that I did not get a photo with my parents, in-laws, or our son who was our ring bearer. I was extremely disappointed that on such a big day I am missing extremely key photos and I cannot go back to fix this.
    During the ceremony her second shooter was actually sitting in the back texting for all our guests to walk pass and see. I had more than one of my guest ask why the photographer had been on her phone for so long.
    I mentioned a few things that I was self conscience about and if she wanted to edit those things I would be happy and she happily agreed, however none of it was done. She also did not fix the scrape on my sons nose or remove the large zit on my husbands face. As a professional photographer these are things that should just be done and not something that I have to give her every photo number that they are in and remind her multiple times that they need to be fixed.
    She gave us an 8 week turn around for photos and after multiple reminder emails at 9 weeks and later we finally got our photos 13 weeks after the wedding. In her package she also includes an album, I had to remind her of this 4 months after the wedding and she said she was out of town for the next month but could do it when she got back. This was also do 8 weeks after. With two more reminder emails we finally got our $500 album 6 months after the wedding and it was damaged. she emailed a return label and finally at the 8month mark we got it in the mail. I am still dealing with her trying to get some other photos she owes us and she is not responding.

Sent on 06/19/2014