Alex Levin Music Reviews

30 | Brooklyn, NY

30 Reviews for Alex Levin Music

Suzanne · Married on 10/07/2018

Alex & his group made our daughter’s wedding a warm, joyful evening.. the music was soft jazz & vocals while we dined & picked up to a fun jazz dance party after the meal.. everyone raved about the music ‼️

John · Married on 09/29/2018

Alex’s performance was excellent our guests Thoroughly enjoyed his mix of music

Mary · Married on 06/23/2018

Incredible group musicians, etherial sound, and so very professional/accommodating. One of the most magical components of our wedding, and I would hire them again, in a heartbeat. Thank you, Alex Levin and Love, Charley!!

Caitlin · Married on 10/07/2017

The Evergreen Jazz Band was the perfect choice for our wedding band. They played standards at our fall outdoor reception and we--and our 300 guests!--couldn't have enjoyed it more. They are a delight to work with--very professional and lovely people--and a delight on the stage (so talented!!). We highly recommend them for any event--and especially weddings!

Ben · Married on 06/10/2017

We hired Street of Dreams to perform at our wedding rehearsal dinner for about 100 guests. They really hit it out of the park! They are an extraordinary quartet, and all of our guests were complementing us on the music. We highly recommend Street of Dreams, and already plan to hire them for our next event. Thanks for the incredible tunes, guys!

S · Married on 04/15/2017

Alex and his band performed at our wedding reception and were excellent. They accommodated all of our requests, including moving locations between our cocktail hour and dinner, and were incredibly responsive throughout our planning process. They were friendly, professional and talented and played the perfect music for our event.

Sean · Married on 11/25/2016

Great Jazz trio which can expand to a quarter. Very attentive to the atmosphere of the room and guests! Great players and great charts! Real pros!!

Kate · Married on 11/12/2016

Our Brooklyn wedding wouldn't have been the same without Alex Levin and his Love Charley Band! We wanted to have a live jazz element of our night followed by a great DJ (we didn't go for a wedding band as we didn't want our song selection to be limited) and we were so lucky to stumble upon Love Charley! From the beginning, Alex (the Band leader) was so easy to work with and incredibly professional. Our inquiry was promptly responded to and Alex jumped right on the phone to discuss our wedding, the vibe, etc. Alex immediately made us feel that he truly cared about our specific wedding and he was genuinely excited about what we were planning and being a part of it all.

We decided on four sets of music and the quartet with piano (Alex plays the piano and based on the very positive experience working together we absolutely wanted him there so we rented a piano)! The first set was during the ceremony when Martina (unbelievable singer) sang and played the ukulele for the walks down the aisle. Her voice is seriously amazing live and she was also just a lovely person. The second set was instrumental during the cocktail hour and it was just perfect. The third and fourth sets were with the whole band plus Martina singing during our family style dinner so it felt like a live show/performance. The music was of course beautiful and the vibe they created for the first half of the wedding was perfect - fun, lively, early 1900's jazz club.

As you can see I can't say enough great things about Alex and our specific experience with Love Charley. They would be great for corporate events, parties, a full wedding band if you're looking for jazz/swing only otherwise I love what we came up with working with Love Charley for the first half and then a DJ for the second half. Also pricewise going with what we did total cost (LC plus DJ) was about one-third the cost of a traditional NYC 8+ piece wedding band and we think much more memorable and unique!

We hired the Smoke Rings to play at our wedding welcome party in Manchester, VT. We wanted the party to have an elegant, old-time vibe and the Smoke Rings provided the perfect music to compliment our theme. Alex was a pleasure to work with during our entire planning process. He was incredibly kind, responsive, and thoughtful in working with our budget and arranging all the details. The quartet took care of all their travel plans on their own, which was a huge help. The evening of our party, the quartet amazed all of our guests with their incredible talent and musicianship. Before long, the small area of space in front of the musicians turned into a packed dance floor! We only wish our party could have lasted a lot longer because no one wanted to stop dancing to their tunes! If you are looking for incredible musical talent for your event, you shouldn’t hesitate to book The Smoke Rings. Our guests cannot stop talking about their unique sound—it’s like they take you on an amazing voyage back through time to hear some of the music out of the Great American Songbook. Those of our guests who happen to also be professional musicians couldn’t have been more impressed! We cannot say enough wonderful things about The Smoke Rings—they are incredible and will add so much to your event!

Nicholas · Married on 06/20/2015

Don't think of The Smoke Rings as a wedding vendor. Think of them as artists who happen to perform at weddings. They are unique, charming, creative, and have an innovative sound, and we are so lucky that they lent their talents to our wedding on June 20th, 2015 in New Hampshire.

We happened to stumble upon The Smoke Rings performing at a jazz club in New York City a few years ago and fell in love with their sound. They left such an impression on us that years later, when planning our wedding reception, we knew that they were the only band for us.

Communicating with The Smoke Rings was a breeze, With Alex often returning our emails in a matter of minutes. They are professional and accommodating, and genuinely care about making your event special.

Our guests were BLOWN away by The Smoke Rings at our reception. We got so many compliments, with newlywed friends expressing their jealously. (What more could we want? :) Sarah's voice completely transports you, and after each song guests were clapping and whistling as if they were at a concert. It's hard to find a band with a sound that engages both younger and older guests, but the mixture of Sarah's youthful, artistic presence and songs that are recognized by older generations made the music accessible to all guests.

Many people told us our wedding was the best they had ever been to, and we know that The Smoke Rings are a big part of that.

• Z

Zachary · Married on 06/20/2015

Marc & Michelle · Married on 11/22/2014

Alex Levin Trio review
    The Alex Levin trio played at our wedding ceremony and reception at City Hall restaurant 11-22-14 and they were amazing! Even a week after the event, we were still receiving compliments on how great the band was.
    I am a rock musician with a love for Jazz, so you can imagine I was very picky. When I heard the Alex Levin Trio from a few youtube videos, I knew right away this was the band we need.
    The trio far exceeded our expectations, the musicianship was top notch and so fluid. I even had the guys learn a Heavy Metal song to be played in a Jazz style, and they nailed it!
    For the ceremony we requested that the Bassist write a piece of music that my wife will walk down the aisle to, and it was breathtaking, a bowed piece of haunting chamber music, flawless. He would later tell us that was the first time he ever played anyone down the aisle. I highly recommend it!
    We highly recommend the Alex Levin Trio to anyone who needs a top notch Jazz band for any occasion, and on top of that, they are such a nice bunch of guys!

The Smoke Rings played our wedding and were such a unique and talented group, I can't thank them enough. Everyone kept coming up to us and saying how great they were. I couldn't agree more.

• O

Olena · Married on 08/23/2014

We have searched for a perfect band for a while. Our wedding was to be very intimate, and we imagined our band to have a great sound, beautiful vocals, as well as charm and a sense of humor...we wanted a whole list of things and we got it all from "Love, Charley" and much more!

When we saw the band's video at first, we were mesmerized by Martina's vocals and the band's sound. We contacted Alex by email, and he immediately got back to us to set up a call to discuss the details. Alex was very easy to work with, making himself available when needed, and answering promptly, by email, phone and text. Our dance was tango, Lindy hop and waltz, and Alex and Martina gave us good suggestions about the songs and rhythm that would be the best fit for our dancing routine, and played for us a couple of songs in different tempo to test it.

Everyone at our wedding fell in love with the band! The guys played when the guests were arriving and Martina sang solo during the ceremony, accompanying herself with a ukulele. After the dinner, our guests danced the night away, with everyone, from 5-year olds to 70-year olds loving the music and asking for more.
    There were several professional musicians amongst our guests, and they were all very impressed by the quality of the musicians. Truly superb musicians, who put a lot of effort to make it a great night for everyone.

It felt like we have known "Love, Charley" for years and we were in a company of our old friends who came out to play at our wedding. We love "Love Charley"!!!

lila · Married on 08/03/2014

The Smoke Rings absolutely *made* my wedding. They performed for a little over two hours, including during our ceremony and for the first half of our reception. (A DJ took over afterward so we could boogie down.) I can't speak highly enough of my experience with this group -- they looked, played, and acted the part, and did it perfectly. I began corresponding with Alex, the pianist, around six months ago and he was remarkably accommodating. He responded to my (too many) emails very quickly and professionally. The group took special requests, showed up on time, and rocked the house. I have had dozens of guests compliment me on the Smoke Rings -- HIRE THEM! :)

Georgia · Married on 06/28/2014

The Alex Levin Trio, also known as The Smoke Rings, was simply perfect when my husband and I were married in June 2014. We chose them because they had a unique sound, because they hearkened back to New York of the 30s and 40s. And they appealed to people who were 20 or 80--which we saw first hand when nearly everyone at the wedding was on the dance floor at the reception. They are professional, supremely talented, and unlike any wedding band I've ever seen. I received more compliments about them than almost anything else!

Jennifer · Married on 06/11/2014

Love, Charley was the hit of the evening! They created the perfect, intimate setting for our cocktail reception. My guests kept coming up and complimenting me on such a great find. The band played beautifully, Martina's voice was amazing, her ukelele playing added just the right amount of charm, and Alex was so kind and helpful to work with throughout the planning process and quick to respond to any requests we had that night. I can't say enough great things about Love, Charley... I would definitely book them again!

karen · Married on 06/06/2014

We hired Love, Charley to play the cocktail hour at my daughter's wedding
    reception. Having them was one of the reasons this was a perfect day. There
    are so many concerns with the music as for me it sets the tone and mood of
    the entire event. I watched video of the group and fell in love with the
    romantic vibe. I worked with them to detail the song list and tempo that I
    wanted. I was looking for traditional standards from the 30's through the
    60's. I wanted an upbeat tempo and something a bit quirky...The ukulele is
    exactly what did that for me. They delivered exactly what we hoped. The
    most impressive thing was they were understated but impressive. The volume
    was exactly what it should be, something you could hear but still converse
    over. The leader Alex was so accommodating and was so willing to make
    whatever adjustments we wanted. Martina the lead singer was so engaging,
    romantic and soulful!!
    We received so many compliments regarding all the details especially the
    music choice. We really cannot thank them enough. The other really unusual
    thing was the pre-event follow through, the attention to detail throughout
    and the connection to us and making sure we were satisfied. I want to note
    that we paid them in advance so the motivation during the event would be
    less than someone waiting to get paid. That was not our experience. It was
    as if they were working for each dollar. I will use them and recommend them
    time and time again...!! Thanks Love, Charley.
    Last note.. This is a talented group of musicians...Not at all wedding
    circuit musicians. The real deal!

The Smoke Rings were the perfect complement to our self designed, at-home wedding. I cannot recommend them enough. They are incredible performers, kind people and the definition of professionals. We asked for a special song for our first dance and even though it was outside of their normal repertoire, they learned it and absolutely nailed it while giving it their own, vintage twist. Our wedding was almost a year and a half ago and we still talk about the incredible music created by The Smoke Rings.

Loretta · event on: 09/06/2014

What an incredible party we had in great measure do to the wonderful band, Love, Charley. Martina has a soulful voice that transports you back to the age of jazz. Everyone at the party kept coming up to me and telling me how wonderful the band was. Alex was so accommodating and professional in setting everything up. I can't say enough about what a wonderful experience it was and I would book them again in a heartbeat!

Linda · event on: 09/06/2014

Alex Levin is a consummate professional. He is an excellent jazz musician but is also incredibly accommodating and responsive to the client's needs. We love working with him and have had him play for us twice within the past few months.

Jessica · event on: 10/04/2014

I couldn't have asked for a better group of talented musicians to play at my parent's 40th wedding anniversary. From the start, Alex Levin was informative and quick to respond to my questions. The band was flexible with the schedule I provided for them, and continued to be flexible with the changes that I made throughout our planning process.
    Most importantly, the quality of music was exceptional - my guests continued to compliment the band throughout the night. The band played my parent's wedding song after they renewed their vows, and (I am quoting my dad) "it was a dance they will never forget - the version of Unchained Melody that was played was truly magical".
    The quality, price and value of this band was exceptional. I would highly recommend this band for any event. It was a pleasure working with them.

Russ · event on: 10/16/2014

The Alex Levin Trio is a special group!

Alex and his group just performed the second special event for I hired them for. The first was a 50th birthday party in Tribeca, where they delighted and impressed everyone. The second was an elegant fundraiser at the Museum of the City of New York where they got rave reviews once again. They are consummate professionals. Not only is the music a delight to the ears... but their courtesy, flexibility, professionalism, and reliability are all top notch.

I look forward to the next time I have the opportunity to hire them.

Thank you Alex! You helped make our evening special once again!

Sincerely,
    Russ Schulman, PhD

Brendan · event on: 12/12/2014

These guys are the best. Professional , amazing in every way. I did a boom boom room black tie party and they honestly were the hit of the event -- which made it to page six, etc. Bravo!