Afton House Inn and St. Croix River Cruises Reviews

25 Reviews for Afton House Inn and St. Croix River Cruises

• W

Wade 路 Married on 09/15/2018

Wedding on the Afton Princess Private Charter Vessel

We had our wedding aboard the Afton Princess in September and we couldn't be more happy with the day. Our friends and family absolutely loved the venue and the trip up the river. The event staff was particularly helpful as we had several changes we made through out the process. The trip, the staff aboard the boat, the food was all perfect. We had a smaller affair, and for our budget, it seemed as if we should've paid more. My only regret...that we didn't book a longer ride 馃槉 Thanks again Afton River Cruise!

Sent on 11/21/2018
  • User6852023 路 2+ years ago

Excellent Customer Service

Georgene went above and beyond to accommodate our needs for our reception. She is easy and fun to work with when planning the details. The catering was delicious; all of our guests loved it. The area is gorgeous and we took some great photos. Definitely would recommend Afton House Inn to anyone!

Sent on 03/25/2019
  • User5332902 路 2+ years ago

They gave us the wedding of our dreams. Spectacular service and amazing food. Service was great as well, very respectful and polite. Will definitely recommend them to other's and will definitely use them again in future.

Sent on 08/10/2015

Cherise 路 Married on 07/25/2015

We had our wedding reception on the Grand Duchess in July 2015. It was absolutely perfect! Our wedding guests are STILL raving about it!
    The food was great, the staff were very professional and helpful, and the atmosphere was amazing.
    In particular, Anne was incredible- she was very helpful, responsive, and really helped bring our vision to life. On the boat, Lynn was wonderful. She made sure all of our guests were well taken care of, especially my husband and I. She really made sure every moment was what we wanted.
    I would highly recommend the Afton-Hudson Cruise Lines, and I know our guests would too!
    -Dan and Cherise

Sent on 09/16/2015

Mary 路 Married on 06/27/2015

We had our wedding and reception aboard the Afton Princess and couldn't be happier with our decision. Anne made our planning so easy. She was very helpful with suggestions when we needed to cut a couple costs on the way. The staff on board was very professional and they made our day even more special. I would suggest Afton Cruise's to anyone planning a summer wedding.

Sent on 07/02/2015
  • User4419137 路 2+ years ago

We had our ceremony and reception on the afton princess. It was great. Anne met with us several times late in the evening due to our work schedule. She was very accommodating. The wedding went perfect. Lynn the head server and her staff were very kind and helpful. The food was delicious. We received many compliments. Thank you Anne and cruise line staff for making our day PERFECT!

Sent on 09/23/2014

Megan 路 Married on 07/12/2014

We had our wedding on the Afton Princess and we couldn't have asked for anything more. We loved it! The staff was so great and seemed to really care that us and our guests really enjoyed themselves. Anne was our wedding coordinator and she had so many great ideas and suggestions to help us. She also got back to me very quickly on any question I had, no matter how insignificant it was. We also loved the food! We;re still getting comments from our guests on how good our food was on the boat. We can't wait to go back!

Sent on 08/03/2014

Elaine 路 Married on 05/10/2014

Afton House Inn was a perfect venue for our wedding. We had our ceremony and reception in the Wheel Room. The staff was attentive and kind. We even had last minute changes that needed to be addressed and Anne & Dan made sure everything was perfect. The food was fabulous. Thank you for making our wedding absolutely perfect.

Sent on 06/23/2014

Megan 路 Married on 02/28/2014

The Afton House Inn provided us the space and ambiance we were looking for to celebrate our marriage. They worked with us through all of our questions, made adjustments and suggestions and worked to make sure that what we expected and hoped for was delivered. As everyone says, the food was amazing-tasted just like it did at the tasting and at subsequent visits to just eat at the restaurant. The service was warm and friendly, our guests really enjoyed the care given to them and their experience over the weekend. I cannot say enough nice things about what the Afton House Inn gave us for the weekend and how much fun we had.

Sent on 08/12/2014

Linda 路 Married on 10/11/2013

The food was great and the room looked very nice. Everything was done to make sure that we stayed within the budget. The staff was very efficient and friendly.

Sheila 路 Married on 09/21/2013

The Afton Grand Duchess was the PERFECT place for my daughter's wedding. The ceremony and reception both happened in ONE place--can I say "perfect" again! The ship was gorgeous, the cruise was calm, and the service and staff were excellent. Working with Anne and Dan was easy; both were very accommodating. The ceremony took place dockside outside on the top floor. The food was served plated on the first floor. And the dancing and partying took place on the second floor--it was perfect; not a single "glitch" the entire event! I would highly recommend working with Anne/Dan and have your special event on the Afton Grand Duchess. **Another point--very affordable for a fun and different wedding venue. Everyone loved it!

Sent on 10/28/2013

Maggie 路 Married on 09/19/2013

Our wedding on the Grand Duchess was beautiful and so much fun! The staff was really helpful and treated us and our guests wonderfully! It was a night I'll never forget and I hope to have another event there in the near future.

Laura and Scott 路 Married on 07/27/2013

Our only complaint was the sound system on the boat. We brought our own music and the speakers were inaudible downstairs (where we needed to be because of rain). If the music was audible downstairs, it was too loud on the upper deck where a few people were gathering. Music is an important part of a wedding. This was our only disappointment.

Sent on 09/07/2013

Richard 路 Married on 06/22/2013

St. Croix River Cruises provided a great venue for our wedding reception. The Captain and staff were very friendly and courteous. The food was great and everyone had a great experience.

Richard Pederson
    President
    Richard Photographics, LLC

Sent on 11/04/2013

jaci 路 Married on 06/09/2013

Had a great time on the boat! Everybody was there to help out whenever we needed anything!

Sent on 11/14/2013

Dustin 路 Married on 06/09/2013

Everything associated with the Afton House Inn, and cruise line was wonderful. We booked an afternoon cruise for our wedding, and had a wonderful time. Anne was spectacular to work with even rescheduling our event when an unforeseen event had arisen.

The food was made onsite at the hotel and all of our guests enjoyed every ounce, it was delicious. The deck crew were very professional, and extremely pleasant. We have already made plans to use this venue again.

Sent on 11/16/2013

Tabitha 路 Married on 03/15/2012

We had our reception at the Afton House Inn in the wheel room back in 2012. After eloping we wanted to host a fun reception for friends and family to celebrate our marriage with us. We wanted something affordable yet offered all inclusive services like hall, catering, and hotel all in one. Afton had that. We were pleasantly surprised by the care that went in to the preparation. I would definitely recommend this venue!

Sent on 04/27/2015
  • User4601224 路 2+ years ago

We had our groom's dinner on their Sweet Afton Cruise boat -- it was fantastic! Such a cool atmoshpere for our event. The food was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent on 12/10/2014
  • User3586482 路 2+ years ago

The Grand Duchess boat was the perfect venue for our wedding reception. Everyone had so much fun out on the river and we received many compliments about the food. I really enjoyed working with the staff and couldn't have asked for easier or friendlier people to work with! Beautiful view, delicious food, and great service.

Sent on 10/07/2013

Joan 路 Married on 10/20/2013

My husband and I had our wedding reception at Swirl My Wine (wine bar) which is part of the Afton House Inn complex. Everything turned out fabulous! The food was great and the atmosphere wonderful; classy, yet cozy. Colleen (the manager) and the other two ladies did a great job making sure everything turned out!! It is THE perfect place for a small wedding reception or other event. Several of the guests mentioned they want to come back.

Sent on 10/22/2013

Donna 路 Married on 07/20/2013

3.5

We did all of our planning via internet, except the initial meeting with our planner 3 months before the wedding. She did an amazing job with everything! We were extremely happy with everything from the planning to the last minute details. It was definitely an experience of a life time.

Sent on 11/04/2013

Amanda 路 Married on 08/04/2018

My husband and I were looking to have a fun, laid back wedding reception and the Grand Duchess was a perfect fit! Our guests loved the novelty of a boat reception. Dan & the staff were great to work with. Initially there was some turnover with the event planner, but once Jess came on board things went very smoothly. Jess was super organized, professional, and responsive. Overall I appreciated how flexible & accommodating everyone was. Food was good. I would definitely recommend for couples looking to have a unique reception!

Sent on 08/18/2018
  • User3669293 路 2+ years ago

We held our rehearsal dinner on one of the boats. We had a great time and all of guests commented on how great dinner was for how simple of a meal we had. The pulled pork was great and so was everything that went along with it! We also had 4 kids on the boat, 2 of whom were given the opportunity to drive the boat for a little bit and they thought that was the coolest! Thanks for giving them that opportunity.

• User4193718 路 2+ years ago

0.8
      0.5
      2.0
      1.5
      0.0

Had to rate low on responsiveness & professionalism, 2 weeks before wedding had final appointment with the planner and she "forgot". Supposed to meet at Grand Duchess Boat, no show, no phone call. At reception, she instructed staff to put out dessert bars when guests boarded the boat, even though signed contracts said they were to be put out at 7pm, after dinner. As a result, guests ate the bars, leaving no desserts. But when this was brought to her attention, it was all our fault, just because they put them out didn't mean that our guests should have eaten them. Really?! Coffee and lemonade were out, does that mean guests were not suppose to help themselves to that also?! She does not take any responsibility for her mistakes at all.
    Don't bother to pay extra to have salads served for a buffet, nothing is organized or orchestrated to do so, leave the salads on the buffet and save the money. Staff on board the boat including Captain were very attentive and friendly.

Sent on 06/22/2014
  • User4418497 路 2+ years ago

0.4
      0.5
      1.5
      0.0

The service, food, and responsiveness of the staff and wedding coordinator were horrible. The kitchen forgot to cut my wedding cake, servers had shirts untucked and stained with food, cooks were overheard swearing loudly/complaining throughout the night. It appeared as though the kitchen crew spent most of the
    night taking smoke breaks on the back of the
    boat. Many of my guests went without
    vegetables and potatoes because they poorly
    planned the dinner plating. Dinner service took
    several hours, which significantly cut into time
    on the dance floor. Anne forgot to turn A.C. on
    thev second floor, so that my guests were
    dripping and uncomfortable until my MOH demanded that she double check it was turned
    on.The pasta was mush, protein dry, and the pasta sauce was a ddifferent recipe than served. During tasting. I paid to have Anne (wedding coordinator with Afton Hudson) set up the boat with help from my personal attendants. She spent 2 hours folding and fluffing napkins instead of helping with setup. One month prior to the wedding, Anne added about $1000 in hidden fees onto the final
    estimate which she originally denied would
    occur. Anne spent meetings complaining about
    other "crazy" brides using her venue. It has
    been one month since my wedding and the #1
    feedback I get from guests: get your money
    back from your reception venue because they
    royally messed it up. Moreover, Anne deposited a large sum of money from an unwanted source into my account without telling. One week later, when I discovered the incident, Anne was unprofessional and unapologetic for not informing me regarding the financial transaction. It led to a very awkward situation
    and undue stress. I would advise against this venue. Although the setting was stunning, it is not worth the stress and discomfort on your wedding day.
    be