5 Star Events DJ Reviews

213 | Rockland, MA

213 Reviews for 5 Star Events DJ

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

Emily · Married on 06/15/2019

Five Star Events lives up to its name!

Dave was easy to work with and professional! His site was great, he was easy to get in touch with, and most importantly, he had the dance floor going all night!! Thanks Dave!

Sent on 06/22/2019

Dave · Married on 05/25/2019

Amazing!!!

DJ Dave Hodges did a phenomenal job as the DJ at our wedding! He had a great mix of styles and kept the dance floor rocking all day long! We couldn't have been happier! Everybody raved about him and his selections. Thank You Dave!!!

Sent on 06/24/2019

Nicole Downey · Married on 05/11/2019

Book Dave!!!

Dave was the perfect wedding DJ! He took the time to meet with us in person before the wedding and his online portal made it easy to select songs and schedule the day. We had a Day wedding so we were not sure if people would dance but everyone was on the dance floor the entire time! Dave is also so nice and easygoing. I would work with him again in a heartbeat. Thanks Dave!

Sent on 06/08/2019

5 Star Events DJ's reply:

Thank you so much Nicole & Pat!!! Weddings like yours are why I love my job. I want to wish you, and Pat a lifetime of happiness. Thanks for choosing 5 Star Events :-)

Dave Hodges
  • Nick

Nick Savides · Married on 04/05/2019

Friendly and accommodating

I was working as a videographer at one of the weddings where Dave was the DJ. I reached out to him before the wedding to make sure that I could record an audio feed from his equipment. He got back to me right away and offered several helpful options. Then he set aside time to work with me on the wedding day, which is not something that always happens. He was friendly to me and the guests, and from what I could tell the crowd seemed to enjoy his music (which included some lesser-known songs that had special significance to the bride and groom) and his enthusiasm. He made the wedding shoot that much easier for me, so I am confident that he will bring exceptional service to whoever hires him.

Sent on 05/09/2019

David Levinson · Married on 09/29/2018

Wedding Reception

Our experience with Greg was amazing. From start to finish, he made the whole process of planning the reception incredibly easy. He listened to our suggestions, helped to guide us when we veered off course, and he was on top of all the details. All of our guests could not stop talking about how great Greg was and how much they loved the music -- from the song selections to the order in which they were played. Music really does make all the difference, and so does Greg!

Sent on 11/02/2018

Katelyn · Married on 09/08/2018

Dave was absolutely awesome at our wedding! He was great during the whole planning process and answered any questions we had. We made a special request for a 90's/early 00's montage and Dave had the whole place dancing and singing along. I'll admit I'm a bit picky about music, and we added a ton of songs we wanted to here throughout the night. We were able to specify what songs we wanted during cocktail hour, dinner, or reception and choose which songs for the montage. Dave was receptive to all of it and everyone loved the music!
    We also had 5 Star provide the uplighting for the room and had them create a monogram which was shown on the floor which was also a huge hit and looks great in pics. We definitely recommend using 5 Star for your wedding or other events!

Sent on 09/17/2018

Heather · Married on 08/04/2018

Dave Hodges was the DJ for our wedding at Wychmere on 8/4/18 and he was excellent!!! He was one of our favorite vendors and we would very highly recommend him. Leading up to the wedding, he was fantastic to work with - so relaxed, patient, and flexible. He offered great suggestions and ideas we hadn't thought about.
    He listened carefully and was responsive to our needs and concerns. During the time when we were planning our wedding, we attended a friend's wedding where we felt the music and evening ended abruptly. This freaked us out so we told Dave about the experience; he assured us that was very different from what he does and talked us through his approach to wind down the evening (which he executed perfectly!!! We were so impressed with how he closed out the night - I still remember everyone on the dance floor with us and singing along to the final few songs).
    Throughout our wedding, our guests were on the dance floor the entire time! Dave played a perfect mix of music to keep the crowd up and dancing and having fun. He was very in tune to the crowd and the event. He is not a flashy / obnoxious DJ, which we appreciated. His focus is on playing great music and keeping the party going!!
    One small thoughtful detail (before the dancing started) that I loved - during my dad's toast, he briefly mentioned Peter, Paul, and Mary in one of the memories that he shared. Dave picked up on this and transitioned seamlessly into a PPM song as we were hugging my dad and the next course was being served.
    The evening was perfect and Dave was a huge part of this as he kept the crowd up dancing and having the best time. We were so happy and would very highly recommend Dave!!

Sent on 08/26/2018

Andrea · Married on 07/28/2018

Dave was great!! He was so responsive in the planning process and played just what we were looking for during the reception. He had almost every one of our guests on the dance floor right after dinner until the end of the night! Totally recommend 5 Star Events!

Sent on 08/11/2018

J P · Married on 07/13/2018

Dave from 5 star events was awesome! It’s such a crazy day and so much going on. It meant a lot to me that Dave stayed calm and was so easy to work with. He kept the floor full!

Sent on 08/08/2018

Marissa · Married on 06/23/2018

On point the entire time. Precise, professional, presentable. Managed the timeline well, website and requests were easy, regular check-ins leading up to the date, coordinated on his own with other vendors. Fairly priced

Sent on 06/25/2018

Kendra · Married on 06/23/2018

DJ Dave and 5 Star Events truly lives up to the name. I looked at a few DJs prior to Dave and found most of them were not really listening to what I wanted. Music was of particular importance because my husband and I are ballroom dancers; so we had some MUST haves that other DJs would never address. The second I talked to Dave, he knew ballroom dancing was my concern. He reassured us and asked great clarifying questions the whole time to guarantee we would have the wedding we wanted.

Dave was also great at getting everyone to dance. Many of my family members don’t do ballroom so he did a seamless job of mixing in modern dancey music and fun 80s music like the YMCA that everyone would want. Many of my guests were commenting on how they saw their siblings getting up that they never saw dance before. His reading of the crowd was just that good!

He was also super professional throughout the whole process. He would always get back to us in a timely manner and take the initiative to check-in-with us. He even thought about what song was best for me to walk down the aisle to when I was having trouble fine tuning everything.

Finally, he runs everything past you. Some of our relatives wanted to have him hand over the mic, but he wouldn’t because it was never on the schedule. This man is truly there to do what you want and will supersede what you even imagine with his own touches. I HIGHLY recommend this company!

Sent on 06/27/2018

Tory · Married on 05/06/2018

After an exhaustive search, we decided to go with 5 Star Events for our wedding because every reviewer before us had given them 5 stars, and our initial inquiries to them were met with professional and prompt responses. 5 Star Events definitely live up to their 5-star name. Dave was the DJ that ended up doing our wedding and reception, and he was extremely accommodating to our specific requests, and able to really help us with song choices and get an overall game plan going for the reception. We went in clueless and thanks to Dave, we really felt reassured about the set-up we had for our big day. He played songs we requested, and made sure not to play ones we put on the super helpful "Do not play" list on their website, making for a stellar playlist that was completely us, and set the mood(s) perfectly. Dave was also very accommodating to our belated request that he provide music for our outdoor wedding ceremony, which went off like a dream! The guys at 5 Star Events are so incredibly nice, easy to approach, and definitely work with you to make your day one of a kind. So glad all of those 5-star responses led us to 5 Star Events. Highly recommended!

Tory & Josh

Sent on 05/16/2018

E · Married on 10/21/2017

5 Star Events and particularly DJ Dave are INCREDIBLE. Do yourself (and your wedding guests) a favor and HIRE THESE GUYS NOW.

I'll be honest, when we looked at the website and the list of most-requested songs, we were a little worried, BUT this was a prime example of not trusting a book by it's...er...website. Please, DO NOT be dissuaded by the somewhat sketchy website or the dated pictures on this site!!!

DJ Dave totally got the vibe we were going for. We told him we did not want any of the standard wedding stuff -- no Electric Slide, Dancing in September, Celebrate, etc. -- and he totally stuck to that. We also told him we didn't want any songs that were particularly explicit or gross, and he said he wouldn't play that sort of stuff anyway (phew!). We told him a few of our "must play" songs, and he quickly suggested several others that we were like "oh, yeah, we totally love that song." He seamlessly transitioned over the course of the evening from perfect dancing music to 90s classics, which were perfect for belting along to at that point in the evening. Our reception went from 7:30 to 1 am, and he kept the crowd rocking the whole time (to the point where my husband's cousins started cheering for an encore at the end!).

Leading up to the event, he was responsive, attentive and flexible. He made time to chat with us late at night and on the weekends. My husband and I work long hours during the week, so this was extremely appreciated. And every time we spoke, Dave quickly "got" what we were saying and made suggestions to make our event even better.

AND he was able to navigate sharing time with a band the night of...AND none of the band members spoke a lick of English. AMAZING.

Four words of advice: HIRE THESE GUYS NOW.

Sent on 12/29/2017

Daniele · Married on 10/07/2017

Greg was absolutely fantastic! He helped me along the way through the entire planning process, always promptly answered my emails, and the website made everything easy to plan out. I didn't worry once on my wedding day and he really got my crowd of friends and family up and dancing, thanks for a great day!

Sent on 10/21/2017

Ryan · Married on 10/07/2017

Simply put, DJ Dave made our wedding reception. He was exactly what we wanted and played everything we asked for. His website is easy to use and navigate, especially for music requests. He was worth every penny and would highly recommend him to anyone. Thank you for a wonderful time. Thank you for keeping the party going up in Cape Cod!

Allie and Ryan

Sent on 12/10/2017

Lizzie · Married on 09/23/2017

Dave Hodges at 5 Star Events was HANDS DOWN the best vendor we worked with throughout the entire wedding planning process. From the very beginning, he was responsive and available, and the website is super user friendly for choosing songs, scheduling speeches, listing special dances, everything. He completely understood the vibe we were going for, and he had every guest from age 18 to age 75 tearing up the dance floor all night. He did an especially amazing job of integrating our "must plays" with his own picks, which we encouraged him do as he got a sense of the crowd. The dancing music was the best, and the music earlier in the night was at a perfect background level of noise for dinner and cocktail hour - no one had trouble hearing each other. Anyways, it was perfect. We will always use 5 Star Events in the future.

Sent on 10/10/2017

Kimberly · Married on 08/18/2017

One of my bridesmaids actually said "I was afraid to go to the bathroom or I'd lose my spot on the dance floor!!" Greg with 5 Star Events absolutely rocked our wedding. We unfortunately neglected our music until the very last minute but with a few key details Greg pulled it all together and our music was perfect! Our guests cannot stop talking about how much fun they had dancing and we didn't leave the dance floor the entire time! We cannot thank Greg enough, he didn't even complain about the hurricane!! We had an awesome experience with 5 Star Events.

Sent on 09/08/2017

Sara · Married on 08/12/2017

5 Star Events deserves that name......Dave was definitely 5 Star. Always so friendly and professional each time we talked on the phone or emailed each other. He responds right away and offers suggestions to the many questions you may have about the flow of the evening. You can tell he takes pride in his job and will do anything for you to make sure you have a fun filled evening. Our dance floor was filled the entire night (5 hours) and our guests are still talking about our reception. Thank you, Dave for an evening where long lasting memories were made. Again, you are 5 Star !

Sent on 08/28/2017

Meg · Married on 08/05/2017

Greg truly runs a 5 star event. Greg was not only the most responsive vendor we worked with, he is so professional and courteous. His sound equipment is excellent and everything sounded perfect. 5 Star Events also provided uplighting for us and was the most reasonably priced we could find. Greg is not an MC getting on the mic constantly, he makes the day all about you with great music. He has a very extensive music database, which I have noticed from friends' weddings that not every DJ has as up to date music as Greg has. Anytime my husband or I put in a music request, it was always the next to be played or he'd even fade out the current song he was playing. The dance floor was packed all night and everyone had such a blast! My friend who is in a band that plays weddings was even raving about Greg's style and equipment. We could not be happier and will definitely use him again if we have any other events. I highly recommend that you book this DJ!

Sent on 08/21/2017

Lauren · Married on 06/23/2017

I highly recommend Dave Hodges at 5 Star Events! Dave was friendly and easy to work with. We met in person before signing the contract, which was a great way to get to know each other. Their website was easy to use to pick out our songs and document our timeline. Dave had great recommendations during the planning process and accommodated the different tastes in music that my husband and I had as well as our guests. The whole night flowed smoothly and our guests had a great time dancing! I also wanted to mention that Dave even went out of his way to edit a song my brother wanted to use to propose to his girlfriend. Dave and 5 Star Events truly care about their clients, and they are great at what they do!

Sent on 08/28/2017

Lily · Married on 06/17/2017

Dave was so awesome to work with! He was truly a professional, had great advice, was easy to work with, and kept EVERYONE on the dance floor. He really took our selections to heart, and got our style and taste from the guidance we gave, but improved it for our guests to get the right flow and energy. He was super- would highly recommend.

Sent on 07/05/2017

Calvin · Married on 06/16/2017

We hired Greg for our wedding a year and a half ahead of time, and after our event last Friday, I can pat our past selves on the back for the decision. Greg was very responsive from our first email onward and made sure we had everything we needed. We never thought of us or our friends as dancers but because of Greg we cut up the dance floor for hours and were so glad we could. Add in his very reasonable rates and you got yourself your DJ.

Sent on 06/22/2017

Brian · Married on 06/16/2017

Can't say enough about 5 Star DJ. Dave was the best. He knows how to keep the crowd dancing and the night moving. Highly recommend.

Sent on 09/05/2017

R · Married on 04/22/2017

DJ Greg is the absolute best! From the moment we connected, he was professional and knowledgeable. With so many moving pieces in coordinating a wedding, it was wonderful having a DJ that was so proactive, organized, and enthusiastic. We really didn't have to worry about a thing. On the day of, he certainly delivered too. He took our music preferences and had the perfect soundtrack through dinner and dancing. Afterwards, the only thing we could have wished for to make our night better was a bigger dance floor, as he had it packed with ALL of our guests for the entire night.

Sent on 04/30/2017