6621 West Florissant, Saint Louis, MO 63136 Map · Phone number

About Knodel's Bakery

Karl Knodel was a talented and artistic 14 year-old in 1884, when he was selected to attend a cake decorating school in Basel Switzerland.

After six years of study he graduated as a Master Baker and immigrated to America.

In 1901 Karl opened Knodel’s Bakery at 14th Street and Benton Ave. in St. Louis, Mo. He specialized in wedding cakes and special occasion cakes for his customers.

Karl retired in 1930 and the bakery was taken over by his son, Sydney, who opened a bakery on West Florissant Ave. in Jennings. He sold wedding cakes and special occasion cakes decorated by Julia Youngerman who had been trained by Karl as a wedding cake decorator.

Julia continued to decorate Knodel’s cakes for sixty years and passed on the training she had received to Marlene Inglish, Grand Daughter of Karl, who continued the family tradition of making beautiful wedding cakes for Brides of St. Louis.

Today, after 106 years, the tradition continues , and Cynthia Miskell, Great Grand Daughter of Karl, who was trained by Julia and Marlene, makes beautiful and special occasion cakes for the customers of Knodel’s Bakery.

The fifth generation of fine decorators of wedding cakes, Miss Sydney Winders, is now in training. She will undoubtedly some day become part of the Knodel tradition of fine cakes for Knodel’s customers.

Follow Knodel's Bakery on

knodels logo 250
h i 5 11 2013
knodels logo 250

10 Reviews for Knodel's Bakery

• Lisa

Lisa · Married on 12/13/2014

I had such a beautiful cake that my family brought to my bridal shower! I will highly recommend you to anyone! Thank you!

Sent on 01/21/2015

d · Married on 07/13/2013

always the best wedding cake in st. Louis (and we've tried a lot) exceptional value and service, family run, extraordinary flavors. everyone loved it... thanks for the personalized service

Sent on 07/29/2013

Christine · Married on 06/15/2013

My cake from Knodels Bakery was more than I could have EVER imagined!!!! I was stunned when I saw it for the first time!! SO extremely happy with the outcome!!!!! The taste was delicious as well!! Thank you SO SO much Knodels Bakery for once again going above and beyond for my family!!! This is the third generation of wedding cakes from Knodels, My oma, My mother and now both my sister and I as well!!! Couldn't be happier!

Sent on 06/24/2013

Knodel's Bakery's reply:

We are glad to see you are pleased. We are actually the 5th generation of Knodels bakers.. Lets keep the tradition going. Do you have pics of all cakes? We would love to add these to our website send them to chris@knodelsbakery.com

Knodel's Bakery FAQ

• What types of desserts do you provide? Cookies, Croquembouche, Cupcakes, Groom's Cake, Pastries
  • What services do you provide? Consultations, Delivery, Setup
  • Are you licensed by the state health department? Yes

• 6621 West Florissant Saint Louis, 63136 See on map
    3143852000 (Phone number)
    8:00AM – 6:00PM Monday 8:00AM – 6:00PM Tuesday 8:00AM – 6:00PM Wednesday 8:00AM – 6:00PM Thursday 8:00AM – 6:00PM Friday 8:00AM – 5:00PM Saturday CLOSED Sunday Please call in inclement weather, If Schools are closed we may be closed too!