2630 Cahaba Road, Birmingham, AL 35223 Map · Phone number · Visit website

About The Birmingham Zoo

Birmingham Zoo is an exotic wedding ceremony and reception venue based in Birmingham, Alabama. This venue is a great option for the couple who are truly kids at heart. If you want a wedding celebration that is going to stand out, then this is the place for you. The staff at the Birmingham Zoo goes above and beyond to make sure that your wedding day is one that you will enjoy and remember.

Facilities and Capacity
With a maximum capacity of around 2,500 guests, you’re going to be pressed to find another venue that has as much space as the Birmingham Zoo. The zoo offers several amazing rental spaces throughout the property that include a secluded, wooded area, interactive barn animal area and even a space that overlooks the African bull elephant exhibit. As for transportation and access, the wheelchair accessible venue has parking, and golf-cart rentals are available.

For those couples who want to really wow their guests, event extras are offered, which include animal demonstrations, greetings and walkabouts. Not only is the venue available for wedding ceremonies and receptions, but it is also open for bridal showers, elopements, engagement parties and rehearsal dinners. Some of the additional services that the Birmingham Zoo offers include:

• Bridal suite (available for a charge if not already renting the Zoo Lodge)
  • In-house bar
  • Setup
  • Cleanup
  • Event rentals
  • Outside vendors allowed, with the exception of food and beverage
  • Wireless internet

Cuisine
Whether you are looking for fun finger foods or an elegant, sit-down dinner, the catering staff at the Birmingham Zoo will make sure that you and your guests are completely satisfied. As part of their culinary services, the venue offers barware, flatware, linens, plates and cups. They even offer bar services which include signature drinks, specialty wine, premium liquor and specialty beer. Some of their catering services include:

• Buffet

The Birmingham Zoo 7
  • Carol

Carol Lee · Married on 10/27/2018

Beautiful Fall Wedding

We originally had reserved Gabrella Manor for my granddaughters wedding. Then by accident we heard about the Lodge at the Birmingham Zoo. We went to check it out and my granddaughter fell in love. A stone lodge in the middle of the woods on the grounds of the Birmingham Zoo. The perfect backdrop to her fairy-tale outdoor wedding. The only "glitch" if there was one, was the animals. We paid to have two animals for 30 minutes. One of the animals we wanted was not available that day and we knew that was a possibility. However, it was hard to determine WHEN to have the animals there since we knew what time the ceremony started so we thought 30 minutes before the ceremony. Didn't really work. The animals arrived but none of the guest had. So it wasn't a fault of the zoo as just timing. But after the wedding it was decided that it really wasn't worth the cost since no one got to see the animals and they were not there the entire 30 minutes. But hey, it was money for the zoo and not much $$ at all so we were okay. Just wanted it to be a note as to better time when to have the animals arrive. Make it much closer to the arrival time - or even better - during the reception!! The staff was great. The grounds and interior of the lodge were great. We decided to have the wedding in the grass in the front of the lodge instead of by the fireplace. That worked out perfectly for us. We had the reception in front of the fireplace. We had the catering and cake inside the lodge.

Sent on 01/07/2019

Stephanie · Married on 06/09/2018

3.4
      2.0
      3.0

Great spot, but not so great to work with

We got married in the Lodge, which is really beautiful and also an amazing price for what you get. I loved everything about the venue itself. The event coordinator left a lot to be desired, however. I think one of the biggest selling points (if not THE biggest selling point) besides the cost is the fact that you can have animal visitors at your wedding. I let Hayden, the coordinator, know early on that I wanted to have animals before and during our wedding. I even dropped big hints about wanting a visit from the fennec if she was having a good day that day.

Communication with Hayden was very spotty, but I thought everything was on track. One week before the wedding, I sent her my finalized timeline which included when I wanted the animal guests. She then sent me a message back saying that because I hadn't told her I wanted animals, it was too late for us to have them. She said I should look at my contract, which stated that the handlers needed to be notified at least two weeks in advance. She implied that I was the one who was responsible for taking care of this step. I had copies of the months old emails I had sent her saying that I wanted animal visitors before AND during our reception, so I asked that she correct this HUGE mistake which was totally on her part. Having animals was the whole reason I wanted to get married at the zoo in the first place!

Because it was such short notice, we could only get parrots but she still charged us for all three of the the animal services (the greeting, demonstation, and walk about) which ended up being $750 extra. It's been six months since our wedding and I thought I would be less salty about it now, but I still wish she hadn't screwed that up. Parrots are pretty and all, but I definitely wanted a bigger variety of animal guests. Especially considering how much we paid for them.

TL;DR Get everything in writing VERY EARLY ON in the process if you're working with Hayden.

I'd also like to mention the food. At the point that we reserved our date, they were just transitioning to in house catering. We thought we were going to be able to choose our own, but ended up having to go with the one the zoo provided. The chef was really awesome though and did a great job with our dinner. The menu was pretty limited, so we chose street tacos. If I had gone with an outside vendor, I was thinking about maybe Asian noodle stations but there wasn't anything similar on the zoo's menu. I think if we had actually asked the chef to do noodles, he would have so going in don't feel like you're constrained to what items they have listed. The chef would be totally happy making whatever you could possibly want. He seemed like the type of dude that would like a challenge.

Sent on 01/27/2019

The Birmingham Zoo's reply:

Hi Stephanie!
    I just want to start by saying, Thank you for choosing and supporting the Zoo on one of the most special days of your life. Your animal request should have been met with the utmost seriousness by our previous Events Manager, early in the process. I am SO sorry they did not meet your expectations! I am thrilled to hear that your experience with the food and our Chef was great- I will make sure to pass that word along to him. We pride ourselves on excellent food AND customer service, and we look forward to hopefully being able to show you the positive changes that have been made to our team since June. Please reach out to me if you have any questions, I am always here to help.

Erynne Sentelle
    Catering and Events Sales Manager

The Birmingham Zoo FAQ

• Do you have a site fee for wedding receptions at your venue? Yes
  • What is the starting site fee for wedding receptions during peak season? $ 750.00
  • What is the starting site fee for wedding receptions during off-peak season? $ 750.00
  • Do you have a site fee for wedding ceremonies at your venue? Yes
  • What is the starting site fee for wedding ceremonies during peak season? $ 750.00
  • What is the starting site fee for wedding ceremonies during off-peak season? $ 750.00
  • Which of the following are included in starting site fee? Bridal Suite, Chairs, Clean Up, Event Planning, Parking, Set Up, Tables
  • Which of the following are included in the cost of wedding catering? Dessert, Server(s)
  • What is the starting price per person for bar service? $ 15.00
  • Which of the following are included in the starting price for bar service? House Beer, House Wine
  • What is the maximum capacity of your venue? 2500
  • What is the minimum number of guests required to book your venue? 25
  • How many event spaces or rooms does your venue offer? 5
  • Describe your venue: Park, Rooftop, Zoo
  • What event services do you offer? All Inclusive Packages, Bar Services, Catering Services, Clean Up, Event Rentals, Get Ready Rooms, Outside Vendors, Set Up, Wifi
  • What catering services do you offer? Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Family Style, French Service, Hors d'oeuvres, Outside Cake, Plated, Server(s), Stations, Tastings
  • What bar services do you provide? Bartender(s), Cash Bar, Champagne Toast, House Beer, House Liquor, House Wine, Limited Bar, Liquor License, Open Bar, Premium Liquor, Signature Drink, Specialty Beer, Specialty Wine
  • What event items are available? Chairs, Furniture, Tables
  • What food and beverage items are available? Barware, China, Flatware
  • What transportation and access is available? Parking, Wheelchair Access
  • What months are included in your peak season? March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, December
  • What months are included in your off-peak season? January, February, November