The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore

(4.8 / 5.0)
Flexibility:
(4.6 / 5.0)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Maryland Zoo is a fantastic place to get married! When I was first getting started – I found it very frustrating when venues would give me the run around regarding prices/availability/etc – Not here. Jane always responded quickly – and from the first email I was impressed with her professionalism.

Due to the month – my wedding ceremony and reception were both held in the Mansion House. The transition from ceremony to cocktail hour to reception went very smoothly. The DOC that was provided by the Zoo was also very nice to work with (Thanks Jackie!) The house is absolutely beautiful – and gave all my pictures a lot of grandeur

My husband (!) and I went on a golf cart tour of some picture sites around the Zoo prior to the ceremony and got some amazing photos at the 1st cage, lions and an old tree – which was a ton of fun!

And the icing on the cake? My cocktail hour was visited by Winnie the penguin and a giant Flemish rabbit! My guests and family had a fantastic time with the animals.

The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore responded with the following comments:

Elizabeth and John are a delightful couple and we were thrilled to be part of their special day!

• Wedding: 11/15/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Mansion House at the Maryland Zoo is a spectacular venue in the heart of Baltimore City. Our guests were amazed by its beauty and elegance. In the daytime, sunlight floods through the windows, and at night, the (electric) candles on your tables are reflected in 1000 panes of glass. It's stunning. The price is reasonable, the staff is friendly, and they provide a handy list of recommended caterers, photographers, etc. P.S. The penguin was also a big hit!

• Flexibility: 5.0

Very affordable and truly offers you a blank slate to work with. You can turn your event into whatever you want it to be.

• Flexibility: 5.0

We just had our wedding at the Maryland Zoo and it was amazing! It truly was exactly what we were hoping for when looking for a unique wedding in Baltimore. Jane and Jackie were extremely helpful and attentive throughout the planning process. They took us through all of the details, gave us complimentary tickets for an engagement shoot and coordinated all of the vendors the day of. There was nothing for us to worry about! The venue itself is beautiful. We got married at the Lakeside Pavilion and experienced perfect fall weather. We then had our reception in the Mansion House. It's a beautiful historic building with such character. The glass windows framing the porch allowed our guests to look out at the scenery in Druid Hill Park. It didn't even feel like a zoo, but a classy, sophisticated wedding with personality. At first, I was concerned that reception would take place on the porch which surrounds the offices on the first floor of the building making it not a perfect square, however there were no issues whatsoever! The flow worked out perfectly because we had different areas for each event, cocktail hour, dancing, dinner etc. They also just remodeled the bathrooms which look great. The best part of the night was the ability to have animal ambassadors at the cocktail hour! We had Winnie the Penguin, a Flemish Giant Rabbit and the Eastern Screech Owl. It was a great treat for our guests and made for fabulous pictures! Overall, it's also a great venue for wedding photography. We did all of our photos before the ceremony so we could spend as much time as possible at our reception with our guests. We had a private couples shoot with the penguin and owl. We were also carted throughout the older part of the zoo in their golf carts to take photos with some really historic exhibits that had been at the zoo since the 1800s. All in all it was an amazing experience, the best day of my life and I couldn't have picked a better venue.

The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore responded with the following comments:

This couple really enjoyed their experience with us and we really enjoyed working with them towards a wonderful wedding day! Thanks Giovanna for choosing The Maryland Zoo as your wedding venue!!!

• Wedding: 09/19/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I had my wedding reception here and everything was PERFECT! Jane was absolutely wonderful to work with! She was respectful, very kind, and extremely helpful in everything. The Baltimore Zoo Mansion House was a perfect venue as well! The inside of the Mansion House is gorgeous, with tons of windows overlooking the beautiful nature. We had our reception at 5pm, so we were able to watch the sun set, which was just phenomenal. The price is affordable for the size of the venue, and I felt good knowing it went to helping maintain and fund the Baltimore Zoo.

Two extras you won't find at any other venue are that firstly, you can have an animal ambassador! We had an African Penguin come and everyone had a great time taking pictures with her. Secondly, we got to go around the closed off (older and original) part of the zoo with our photographer to take pictures. Though we opted out of it, we could have taken pictures inside the first cage (a lion cage, I think?).

All in all, the venue was beautiful, everyone had an amazing time, and the staff was absolutely wonderful to work with!

• Wedding: 08/16/2014
Alison
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore created an unforgettable experience for our wedding. So many of our guests said that our wedding was the BEST WEDDING EVER! The staff was professional and courteous, the lakeside pavilion beautiful and the Mansion House an amazing venue for our reception. The penguins were a big hit--one tried to nibble my toenail polish which was quite funny. We danced the night away and everyone had a blast. As a same-sex couple we wanted a venue that really understood us and they absolutely did--we highly recommend this venue!

• Wedding: 06/20/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Unbelievable wedding!!!! we went with the elopement package because we wanted a small and intimate affair. The zoo was so quick to respond to all our emails, working with them was a breeze! The elopement package had everything we needed included in it. The day of, we got married at the lakeside pavilion, with 15 people at our side. The day was magical- and having a penguin to take pictures with made our wedding ultra unique. I would not have changed a thing.

• Wedding: 05/17/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Elopement package was ideal for intimate wedding. Outstanding service and coordination.

• Wedding: Recently Married
Services Used: Unique Services (Other)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Mansion House was our first and only choice for our wedding venue. The venue is stunning. We were married at the Lakeside Pavilion and continued the celebration at Mansion House. Our guests were so excited about the location, and the animal ambassadors helped make our wedding even more unique. Jane and Sienna will make the process as simple as possible. They are professional, friendly and sweet. I swear they were just as excited for our wedding day as we were. They took care of everything that day, so we were able to focus on what really mattered, our vows. I cannot thank them enough.

• Wedding: 05/03/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The entire staff at the Maryland Zoo made the entire process of planning my wedding so much easier and the day of they made sure I didn't have to lift a finger. I couldn't imagine getting married anywhere else. It was the best night ever thanks in large part to the staff at the zoo

• Wedding: 04/25/2014
sadie
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Absolutely wonderful. They had an elopement package that took care of all our needs. No stress at all. Plus, we had a penguin after the ceremony. It was awesome!

• Flexibility: 5.0

Sienna and Jane are awesome. Recommended for sure.

• Wedding: 09/22/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Words can't begin to express our satisfaction and sheer joy having our ceremony at the Maryland Zoo. Jane and Sienna were the epitome of professionalism! Not only did they assure us with their confidence, but they made us feel like we were long time friends. My husband and I truly appreciate all their hard work and warm attitude. One important deciding factor for us is that the Maryland Zoo is very LGBT friendly. If you are planning a same-sex wedding, the Maryland Zoo well worth checking out.

I give my highest recommendation to hold your wedding there. The grounds are astonishingly beautiful! The Mansion house is roomy and very accommodating. The Lake House pavilion added the perfect backdrop to our ceremony. As an added bonus we had a special guest: Tails the penguin showed up to our cocktail hour and charmed our friends and family.

If you are unsure if you want your wedding at a zoo, just make one appointment to talk with Jane. She'll win you over in heartbeat.

• Wedding: 08/17/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Jane and Sienna are excellent to work with. The animal ambassadors program has to be the most unique and incredible part of holding your wedding at the Zoo. I highly recommend a penguin! You just can't beat the photo opportunities. From the animals to the old tiger cages this is such an incredible venue to hold an event. If you are looking for somewhere a little different for your wedding I can highly recommend the MD Zoo!

• Flexibility: 5.0

What a wonderful venue! The option of having an animal ambassador was such a treat for our guests. Our ceremony was scheduled to be outside, however it rained. We had to move it indoors, but it was gorgeous!

• Wedding: 05/11/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We would absolutely recommend this venue to anyone who is looking for a beautiful space and a little twist that will keep your guests talking! It has all of the traditional elements that is desirable about a wedding venue, but the option of getting "animal ambassadors" to make an appearance at your wedding is amazing. Our guests loved interacting with the penguin and the raven and we received so many compliments on how fun the wedding was. Many people said that they felt like they were no longer in the city with how green and beautiful everything was. Jane, the organizer is outstanding and helps ensure that every detail is correct and in place before the big day so you can just relax and go with the flow. We really can't thank her enough for her invaluable help and keeping us on track!

443-552-5277
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire

My Awards