SimplyTwo Photography
San Gabriel, CA 91776  | map
Style: Contemporary, Photojournalism, Portraiture
Packages: Albums, Custom Graphic Design, Digital Files, Flush...
Liability Insurance: Yes

Value:
Flexibility:

Sort By:

• Flexibility:  5.0
A long overdue review! I have nothing but compliments and praise for John's work. He is extremely creative and has a way of using mundane props/settings to your advantage in every shot. He also listens to what you want and does his best to deliver. With John, you can simply relax and enjoy yourself because he makes it very easy to forget that there is a camera in front of you. On our wedding day, i was concerned that we wouldn't have enough time for pictures but John managed to squeeze in a ton of shots without pushing us over our schedule. All in all, both our engagement and wedding photos turned out great and I am more than pleased with the result. Would I choose SimplyTwo if I had to do it all over again? Absolutely!
Wedding: 06/08/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Hiring SimplyTwo Photography was by far the best decision we made with our wedding. We had seen John Yao's work through Facebook and on multiple wedding blogs and fell in love with his style and creativeness immediately. When I was browsing through photographers, I focus a lot on the engagement session because I didn't like the normal cliche photos where the only thing couples do is kiss here, look there, zzzzzzz. John's photos for every couple were always different and always original. He is truly able to capture the uniqueness of each couple and it was exactly what we were looking for, so much so that we based our wedding date around his availability! He has an eye for the smallest details and can make even the crappiest locations look absolutely stunning.

Not only are the photos stunning but John was the easiest vendor to work with. He was always responsive to any questions we had or anything that we needed. He was also open to any ideas that we wanted to incorporate into our shoot. He gives just enough direction but also allows you to put your own little style into it. I have been to several weddings and have been in weddings where the photographer can't lead a photo shoot for the life of him and the bride ends up telling him what to do. Never the case with SimplyTwo! Plus, John is a stud! Getting to know John was so fun for us! He was so easy going and funny and it made us feel like we were just having fun taking pictures with a friend.

Hiring SimplyTwo was the best decision we made for our wedding, it was definitely money well spent! I already know that any future events we have: maternity pictures, family portraits, etc., I wouldn't think of using any other photographer!

Wedding: 06/01/2013

Private User 1 Reviews
Best decision ever! Really.

We contacted John immediately after we got engaged (even before deciding on a venue!). I (the bride) had been stalking Simplytwo Photography for a few years before I got engaged and absolutely loved everything about his work.

Fast forward a year..we finally got to meet the famous John Yao for our engagement shoot. He was super friendly, down to earth, and CHILL! Our engagement shoot was not rushed at all and John took the time to explore the location prior to the shoot. He made us comfortable from the beginning and it just became natural.

Fast forward another 5 months..our wedding day. John arrived early and entertained the crazy and loud bridal party. He worked so well with our videographer, wedding coordinator, and everyone else who helped us with our wedding.

We just can't say enough awesome things. My husband cannot stop talking about how awesome you (John) are and how your work is amazing :).

Thank you Simplytwo Photography for making our wedding process absolutely memorable. We can't wait until we get to work with you again!!

Wedding: Recently Married
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We can't even begin to describe what an amazing experience it was to have John as our wedding photographer. As a Hawaii bride and groom, we were desperate for a high quality photographer at an affordable price. What we found in John was so much more. Not only was he by far the most talented wedding photographer we found, but he also worked out a great “destination” package for us. Moreover, he listened to and cared about our story, and became our dear friend and not just our photographer. He attended the bachelor party, wedding rehearsal and rehearsal luncheon, and made it a point to connect with people and make them feel at ease. He has a way of making even the most camera shy person comfortable in front of the camera and look photogenic! He was also super flexible - we asked if he would be willing to do an engagement shoot for us straight off the plane three days before the wedding, and not only was he willing but he brought so much creativity and adventure to our shoot. He didn't stress when wedding day preparations weren't running on time, but found ways to take all the shots he needed and make sure we were all still having a great time. We love his photojournalistic style - we just got our 1000+ wedding photos, and they are beautiful and full of emotion. John went out of the way for those too; I (bride) had pinned favorite shots of his on Pinterest and when he heard this he looked up my profile and took note of all the shots I wanted and made sure I got all of those at the wedding (raining flower petals and all!), and even looked at other pins just to get to know me more and what kinds of things I like. On top of all that, John is wacky and FUN – many of our favorite memories from our wedding are times we spent with him! Now we just need another excuse to hang out with him again…
Wedding: 05/18/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John Yao is unbelievable at one thing above all: He is great at helping you feel comfortable and have an amazing time. I hate taking photos but John helped me to feel comfortable and taught me how to smile (for real!)

We kind of failed to prepare for what would happen after the ceremony and John kind of just took over the mic and with his vast experience, guided our post-ceremony shots with all sorts of different groups. A blast having him around, as he is great at talking to guests and family as well.

Excellent photography and design professional, would recommend to anyone for any type of event or shoot.
Wedding: 05/11/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John is an extremely talented and creative photographer! Since we got married on May the 4th, we wanted to incorporate something Star-Wars related into some photos without it seeming too obvious. He came up with this cool concept of using sunlight shining through cut-out letters to create our save-the-date words shadow so it looked like the intro to Star Wars with the scrolling text (Hard to explain, but the pix came out amazing). He is friendly and genuine and is good at making people feel comfortable in front of the lens to get natural poses/shots, and we got numerous compliments on our engagement shots. He is flexible and answers questions in a timely manner. He even came to our rehearsal to see the space and got along great with our wedding coordinators!

Added bonus: John speaks some Mandarin! This was extremely helpful in my case to help some of our relatives and parents' friends know when to take a picture and where to stand! We had a Chinese banquet dinner, and we actually made it to all the tables! John was great at time management and guiding us along without making it feel rushed. It was so much more convenient to have a photographer who could communicate with all the guests! Even if he couldn't speak Mandarin I would still have booked him because his photographs are beautiful and will last a lifetime!
Wedding: 05/04/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We just had the pleasure of working with John to shoot our destination wedding in Mexico, and it was hands down the best decision we could've made!
As a photographer, the quality of his work is truly amazing. From his creativity and ability to find and direct shots to his professionalism and work ethic, he was nothing short of “epic”. But on top of all this, it was his personality and his ability to get to know our guests and make everyone feel comfortable that sets him above every other photographer we’ve met.
As we already had to organize/plan most of the wedding from abroad without ever having set foot at our destination, working with a photographer you have never met (we live in Canada) and hoping things will work out was a bit scary and daunting at first. But through a year of email exchanges and being able to follow John's life and work online, we became more and more comfortable and confident that we had made the right decision. Once at our destination, he absolutely blew us away and went above and beyond to ensure that we not only had all the amazing photos to remember our special day in its entirety, but that we also had fun doing it too! Through the day (and night) John actually became our friend and as for his work, it speaks for itself.
Wedding: 04/18/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
My brother first introduced John's website to me almost 3 years ago. Since then, I had religiously followed him with every hot brides shot, engagement session and wedding session. To my surprise, he had also shot a few of my friend's weddings and I thought they were absolutely spectacular; which reinforced the fact that I needed to have John as my photographer.

When it came to my engagement and wedding sessions, I couldn't believe that the majority of the photos that John had taken were done so with pure skill. He made "normal" shots look as if they were photoshopped. I'm awkward in front of a lens and John made it as comfortable, carefree and natural for me. :)

As for the wedding, John was fantastic! He helped keep me (the bride) calm before, during and after the ceremony. John was extremely flexible with our crazy wedding constantly giving us feedback and trying to capture every emotion and detail. I am so satisfied with his work. He is worth EVERY penny! I just can't wait to see the rest of our pictures.
Wedding: 04/07/2013
4.9/5.0
  • Value:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John is tremendously easy to work with, very accommodating, has a stunning eye for shots, and helps everyone feel at ease. His shots make you feel like you were even being photographed. I appreciated his understanding of when to take initiative and when to let us take the lead. I highly recommend him for any wedding or other important events.
Wedding: 04/05/2013
OVE LOVE LOVE JOHN!
My husband and I hand our wedding celebration on March 23, 2013. We have seen a sneak peek of the photos from our wedding and they look amazing! We cannot wait to see the rest =)
I first met John back in 2011 when I attended my friends wedding. Funny thing because I caught the bouquet at her wedding, and a little less than a year later, I was engaged to be married (I guess the bouquet doesn't lie). Lucky me, John caught the moment on camera. When I saw John's photos of my friends wedding, I knew that when I get married, I was going to have John be the photographer. I loved all his photos and I would periodically stalk his blog. When my husband and I got engaged, the first vendor I knew I had to book was John for our photographer for our engagement photos and wedding. My dream was to have John shoot. When I looked at John's website I was so sad to see that it showed that he was fully booked for 2012. However, I still decided to email him, and when he responded, I was so excited to find out that he was only fully booked for wedding in 2012, he was still available for engagement shoots. We got package 3, and the price was reasonable for what we were getting. I've seen other packages from other photographers who were more expensive and they offered less, and I liked their work less.
So John and I started brainstorming for the engagement shoot, where we would have it and what the themes would be. We definitely fed off of each others ideas. When our engagement shoot day came, we had so much fun! John made my husband and I very comfortable, and the shots he took were amazing! Everybody loved them.
On the day before our wedding, John met us at the wedding ceremony, to scope out the wedding rehearsal, it was so nice of him to do that. When the big day finally came, John was always there to capture the major moments without feeling like he was in the way. That's what you want, a ninja photographer. Can't wait to see the rest of the wedding photos!
Wedding: 03/23/2013

G&K 1 Reviews
In the search for our wedding photographer, we had a list of demands. We wanted someone who was creative, easy to work with, flexible, and budget friendly. After meeting with John, we knew he was the photographer for the job. From his samples of an underwater photo shoot to an evening session filled with light painting, his Photoshop skills inspired us to challenge him with our engagement session. John was excited with our ideas, even when we ended our session late, trying to light sparklers against the wind, while standing knee-deep in the ocean. The day of our wedding went by quickly, but John made sure to stay ahead of schedule while still getting the shots we wanted. He was able to shoot our wedding solo and worked well with our videography team. We definitely recommend John for your special day. Thanks for capturing our memories, John! We can't wait to see our album!
Wedding: 03/16/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We had the pleasure of working with John this past weekend for our big day. We couldn't be happier with his service. Ever since our initial contact, John has always been extremely responsive and answered all our questions. We can tell he really cared about getting the best photos possible. He took extra time to meet with my hotel coordinator to scout out the key photo areas throughout the resort. He also came to my rehearsal so we can plan out the logistics of the photos and discuss any creative ideas we had. He truly went above and beyond to make sure our photos came out perfect! Not only that, our preview photos were available the very next day! No waiting weeks and weeks..
He was always punctual and extremely professional throughout the whole process. Everyone in my bridal party felt really comfortable working with him.
Pick John and it'll be the best decision you've ever made!
Wedding: 03/09/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John was a pleasure to work with! We couldn't have been happier with our choice in photographer for our engagement shoot and wedding!!! First of all his work speaks for itself. His style is natural, creative and captures the mood. He can make a great shot out of nothing. You don't see what he's seeing until he shows you and you are in awe of how he did it. John utilizes all of what is available to him at any moment and makes it look fantastic!!! I had a reflective cake topper that turned into a shot that looked like it was photoshopped! The sky is the limit. On top of his talent, John is easy going and will work with you in any place or situation. My husband and I are both camera shy but John made us feel completely comfortable. We wanted to do our engagement shoot in the bathroom that my husband proposed in and John was more excited than we were! John even texted us the day before the wedding to see how we were doing. Thank you John!
Wedding: 03/02/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John is THE best wedding photographer. It was too bad we couldn't book him for our wedding, but he was awesome enough to do an engagement session for us (he's crazy booked, so try to lock him down ASAP!). We were so awkward at first, but he was patient enough with us and made us feel so comfortable. By the end of the night we were having way too much fun. Thank you so much for giving us the most amazing photos that we're so in awe of. :)
Wedding: 01/19/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
SimplyTwo Photography is in one word "Amazing"; really, truly amazing. From planning the photo shoots (engagement / wedding + reception) to last shot John was professional, reliable and fun. John is genuinely passionate about his craft. He puts so much time and care into everything he does from each creative session to shooting the session and editing every photo.

Before each session John spent an hour with my wife and me over gchat (we were in SD, LA and Bakersfield at the time) to go over types of shots we wanted, locations, attire and props. At the sessions John met us with multiple cameras in hand and ready to shoot. He was cool, calm and friendly. EXTREMELY easy to work with, relaxing to be around and DID NOT rush us (A huge plus). Our chemistry was great and John knew every last detail of the locations (Coronado Island and USD) which made for intimate and very beautiful photo opportunities.

Just over 7 to 10 days days later John posted some photos on his blog / posted a link on facebook (with our permission before the session). Both my wife and I were were amazed by them; seriously phenomenal. We're both pretty hard critics, especially trying to capture important memories but John exceed our exceptions. The photos he was able to capture manage to bring out the story of our wedding / starting a new life together, complete with elegance, class and humor. If I can give bonus points above the 5.0 rating I would in a heartbeat. Thank you John for being "Amazing!"
Wedding: 01/05/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John really has the gift to captured love and preserve it so beautifully on film! He captured the magic of our wedding day so wonderfully and he was absolutely fantastic to work with. John's style is keeping it real, he doesn't place you in awkward positions or have you strike unnatural poses, rather he finds beautiful lighting and says "just be in love and occupy this space right here" and then, when you see the pictures the photos are so real and genuine. It's fun when he gets excited about a shot because you know that photo's going to be a winner! For our engagement/wedding photos, he immediately sent us some teaser photos just to keep our excitement high. He was very responsive over email and phone and overall very reliable. On the other hand, he has a very relaxed and comfortable demeanor so it's very easy to just be yourself in front of him. The bridal party and family all really enjoyed working with him and we were all impressed with his pictures. We picked simply two photography because the pictures John takes are true art and they make you look stunning. Thanks John for everything, you helped to make our day perfect!
Wedding: 12/30/2012