SimplyTwo Photography
San Gabriel, CA 91776  | map
Style: Contemporary, Photojournalism, Portraiture
Packages: Albums, Custom Graphic Design, Digital Files, Flush...
Liability Insurance: Yes

Value:
Flexibility:

Sort By:

• Flexibility:  5.0
John is an awesome photographer. He is talented, creative, and works really well with people.

Our engagement shoot took a full day traveling around LA (including being in LA traffic), but John never complained. He was professional and patient throughout, capturing the exact pictures and locations that we wanted and adding his creativity into the mix for some of our most memorable shots.

On the wedding day, John arrived about an hour before our scheduled time for photos, and when asked why he was there so early, he replied, "An hour early is on time." (That made my mom happy.) During the family photos, which I expected to be pure chaos, John was funny, engaging, and got everyone's attention directed to him.

My only advice to brides is to book early--we booked him over a year before our wedding. His 2013 calendar was booked before the year even started!!
Wedding: 08/24/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I really don’t know where to begin when it comes to John’s character and professionalism. After many recommendations and looking over other photographer’s portfolios, nothing compared to John’s work. After viewing and speaking to John we knew he was the one we wanted to hire for our wedding. We were worried we wouldn't be able to afford him because of our tight budget, but he worked with us and made it happen. I’ll admit even then we were still worried, but my husband and I were so impressed by him and the quality of his work that we said, “Forget it! We are keeping him!” and it was the best decision we made. He delivered beyond our expectations. He is truly gifted in capturing candid, intimate moments, your best angles at the best time. If you feel unsure on how to pose or position yourself, don’t worry . . . With his experience he will guide you and make you feel comfortable and look natural in any setting! Believe me when I say, you will NOT regret hiring him. He is helpful in every way. We truly enjoyed every moment working with him!
Part of our package included the engagement session and we were blown away! We loved our engagement photos so much we used them as mini Polaroid favors for our guest. We got tons of compliments on our pictures. Everyone asked us who our famous photographer was! Our entire party adored him for the simple fact that he is easy going, relaxed, kind, patient and extremely talented. We definitely plan on using him for future events!
Our wedding day felt like a blur so being able to go back and look at pictures is the closet we get to relive our wedding day. It’s been exactly two weeks since our wedding and we already have tons of pictures to look back on. John is prompt and will not keep you waiting like most do. My husband and I are open to speak to anyone who wants to know more about what is like to work with John. We give John permission to use us as a reference

Thank you, John for all your help! You rock!
Wedding: 08/09/2013
4.7/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  4.5

Private User 2 Reviews
John did an awesome job with our engagement and wedding pictures! He is creative, fun, and easy to work with.
Wedding: 1+ year ago
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John was such an awesome photographer for us on our big day! As we were thinking about the many things that go into planning a wedding, we definitely wanted to hire a photographer that would allows us to relive and enjoy our wedding day years later; this is why we decided to go with SimplyTwo. We knew that hiring John to shoot our wedding was a no-brainer because he is so flexible to any ideas that you may want for engagement shoots, bridal party shoots, etc. On the other hand, if you're someone that find it hard to envision what kind of shots you want, John gives wonderful suggestions and guides you through the entire process so that your shoot will be fun, amazing, and memorable. I also appreciate the fact that he communicated things really well with us, and he knew exactly where he needed to be and when he needed to be there. His fun, easy-going, yet professional personality made our time with him enjoyable. Thanks again for all your hard work John :)
Wedding: 07/06/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John is SO talented! He has really fancy equipment, but that only does not make a good photographer. A good photographer must have the creativity and the skill to be able to capture the moments, and John has both the eye for the creativity and the skill for getting that perfect shot.

We also can't wait to see what all the final pictures look like! John was so speedy with giving us a preview of the shots he took with his teasers and favorites and sharing some photos that he captured as quickly as the day after the wedding! I don't know of any other photographers that can make that fast of a turnover to let you preview what your wedding looked like.

Also, John was such a trooper! Our wedding day happened to be during a heat wave and he never once complained about the heat despite the fact that he was wearing a suit AND carrying all his camera equipment.

All in all, My husband and I are both so satisfied with working with John, we would definitely recommend him to others.
Wedding: 06/29/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
What can I say about this guy!?

After seeing his work from a few of my sorority sisters' weddings, I thought to myself, "this guy takes great photos and for my friends to use the SAME guy for their weddings... I think I am going to have to snatch him up!"

Contacting him was so easy! he's quick to respond and easy to keep in touch throughout the whole wedding planning process! In my case, I had to plan everything when my hubby to be was in town because he's a military man so of course i needed someone to be flexible whenever I needed him and John was Great!

I used him for my engagement session and wedding day and he went above and beyond what we expected. Of course it was awkward having someone take our pictures and helping us pose but it didn't take long for us to feel comfortable in front of John's camera. He's got great people skills. Literally, his personality is great to get along with and his humor was well fit to ours and soon enough it felt like he was part of the family :)

It also helps that John's photos are greatly inspired by location, angles, and lighting. Neither my husband or myself had any idea how to pose, where to go, and what to do during our engagement session and wedding day. But with John's talent and experience, I LOVED how he was able to take our locations and help us capture AMAZING photos.

On our wedding day, we had him the WHOLE day and it was great having not to worry about time restraints. Also he was great dealing with my large bridal party. He got along with everyone so well and made taking photos fun and creative, rather than a chore. I had no complaints :)

I'm sure I'll be working with John again! I definitely recommend him!
Wedding: 06/15/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
A long overdue review! I have nothing but compliments and praise for John's work. He is extremely creative and has a way of using mundane props/settings to your advantage in every shot. He also listens to what you want and does his best to deliver. With John, you can simply relax and enjoy yourself because he makes it very easy to forget that there is a camera in front of you. On our wedding day, i was concerned that we wouldn't have enough time for pictures but John managed to squeeze in a ton of shots without pushing us over our schedule. All in all, both our engagement and wedding photos turned out great and I am more than pleased with the result. Would I choose SimplyTwo if I had to do it all over again? Absolutely!
Wedding: 06/08/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Hiring SimplyTwo Photography was by far the best decision we made with our wedding. We had seen John Yao's work through Facebook and on multiple wedding blogs and fell in love with his style and creativeness immediately. When I was browsing through photographers, I focus a lot on the engagement session because I didn't like the normal cliche photos where the only thing couples do is kiss here, look there, zzzzzzz. John's photos for every couple were always different and always original. He is truly able to capture the uniqueness of each couple and it was exactly what we were looking for, so much so that we based our wedding date around his availability! He has an eye for the smallest details and can make even the crappiest locations look absolutely stunning.

Not only are the photos stunning but John was the easiest vendor to work with. He was always responsive to any questions we had or anything that we needed. He was also open to any ideas that we wanted to incorporate into our shoot. He gives just enough direction but also allows you to put your own little style into it. I have been to several weddings and have been in weddings where the photographer can't lead a photo shoot for the life of him and the bride ends up telling him what to do. Never the case with SimplyTwo! Plus, John is a stud! Getting to know John was so fun for us! He was so easy going and funny and it made us feel like we were just having fun taking pictures with a friend.

Hiring SimplyTwo was the best decision we made for our wedding, it was definitely money well spent! I already know that any future events we have: maternity pictures, family portraits, etc., I wouldn't think of using any other photographer!

Wedding: 06/01/2013

Private User 1 Reviews
Best decision ever! Really.

We contacted John immediately after we got engaged (even before deciding on a venue!). I (the bride) had been stalking Simplytwo Photography for a few years before I got engaged and absolutely loved everything about his work.

Fast forward a year..we finally got to meet the famous John Yao for our engagement shoot. He was super friendly, down to earth, and CHILL! Our engagement shoot was not rushed at all and John took the time to explore the location prior to the shoot. He made us comfortable from the beginning and it just became natural.

Fast forward another 5 months..our wedding day. John arrived early and entertained the crazy and loud bridal party. He worked so well with our videographer, wedding coordinator, and everyone else who helped us with our wedding.

We just can't say enough awesome things. My husband cannot stop talking about how awesome you (John) are and how your work is amazing :).

Thank you Simplytwo Photography for making our wedding process absolutely memorable. We can't wait until we get to work with you again!!

Wedding: 1+ year ago
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We can't even begin to describe what an amazing experience it was to have John as our wedding photographer. As a Hawaii bride and groom, we were desperate for a high quality photographer at an affordable price. What we found in John was so much more. Not only was he by far the most talented wedding photographer we found, but he also worked out a great “destination” package for us. Moreover, he listened to and cared about our story, and became our dear friend and not just our photographer. He attended the bachelor party, wedding rehearsal and rehearsal luncheon, and made it a point to connect with people and make them feel at ease. He has a way of making even the most camera shy person comfortable in front of the camera and look photogenic! He was also super flexible - we asked if he would be willing to do an engagement shoot for us straight off the plane three days before the wedding, and not only was he willing but he brought so much creativity and adventure to our shoot. He didn't stress when wedding day preparations weren't running on time, but found ways to take all the shots he needed and make sure we were all still having a great time. We love his photojournalistic style - we just got our 1000+ wedding photos, and they are beautiful and full of emotion. John went out of the way for those too; I (bride) had pinned favorite shots of his on Pinterest and when he heard this he looked up my profile and took note of all the shots I wanted and made sure I got all of those at the wedding (raining flower petals and all!), and even looked at other pins just to get to know me more and what kinds of things I like. On top of all that, John is wacky and FUN – many of our favorite memories from our wedding are times we spent with him! Now we just need another excuse to hang out with him again…
Wedding: 05/18/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John Yao is unbelievable at one thing above all: He is great at helping you feel comfortable and have an amazing time. I hate taking photos but John helped me to feel comfortable and taught me how to smile (for real!)

We kind of failed to prepare for what would happen after the ceremony and John kind of just took over the mic and with his vast experience, guided our post-ceremony shots with all sorts of different groups. A blast having him around, as he is great at talking to guests and family as well.

Excellent photography and design professional, would recommend to anyone for any type of event or shoot.
Wedding: 05/11/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John is an extremely talented and creative photographer! Since we got married on May the 4th, we wanted to incorporate something Star-Wars related into some photos without it seeming too obvious. He came up with this cool concept of using sunlight shining through cut-out letters to create our save-the-date words shadow so it looked like the intro to Star Wars with the scrolling text (Hard to explain, but the pix came out amazing). He is friendly and genuine and is good at making people feel comfortable in front of the lens to get natural poses/shots, and we got numerous compliments on our engagement shots. He is flexible and answers questions in a timely manner. He even came to our rehearsal to see the space and got along great with our wedding coordinators!

Added bonus: John speaks some Mandarin! This was extremely helpful in my case to help some of our relatives and parents' friends know when to take a picture and where to stand! We had a Chinese banquet dinner, and we actually made it to all the tables! John was great at time management and guiding us along without making it feel rushed. It was so much more convenient to have a photographer who could communicate with all the guests! Even if he couldn't speak Mandarin I would still have booked him because his photographs are beautiful and will last a lifetime!
Wedding: 05/04/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We just had the pleasure of working with John to shoot our destination wedding in Mexico, and it was hands down the best decision we could've made!
As a photographer, the quality of his work is truly amazing. From his creativity and ability to find and direct shots to his professionalism and work ethic, he was nothing short of “epic”. But on top of all this, it was his personality and his ability to get to know our guests and make everyone feel comfortable that sets him above every other photographer we’ve met.
As we already had to organize/plan most of the wedding from abroad without ever having set foot at our destination, working with a photographer you have never met (we live in Canada) and hoping things will work out was a bit scary and daunting at first. But through a year of email exchanges and being able to follow John's life and work online, we became more and more comfortable and confident that we had made the right decision. Once at our destination, he absolutely blew us away and went above and beyond to ensure that we not only had all the amazing photos to remember our special day in its entirety, but that we also had fun doing it too! Through the day (and night) John actually became our friend and as for his work, it speaks for itself.
Wedding: 04/18/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
My brother first introduced John's website to me almost 3 years ago. Since then, I had religiously followed him with every hot brides shot, engagement session and wedding session. To my surprise, he had also shot a few of my friend's weddings and I thought they were absolutely spectacular; which reinforced the fact that I needed to have John as my photographer.

When it came to my engagement and wedding sessions, I couldn't believe that the majority of the photos that John had taken were done so with pure skill. He made "normal" shots look as if they were photoshopped. I'm awkward in front of a lens and John made it as comfortable, carefree and natural for me. :)

As for the wedding, John was fantastic! He helped keep me (the bride) calm before, during and after the ceremony. John was extremely flexible with our crazy wedding constantly giving us feedback and trying to capture every emotion and detail. I am so satisfied with his work. He is worth EVERY penny! I just can't wait to see the rest of our pictures.
Wedding: 04/07/2013
4.9/5.0
  • Value:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John is tremendously easy to work with, very accommodating, has a stunning eye for shots, and helps everyone feel at ease. His shots make you feel like you were even being photographed. I appreciated his understanding of when to take initiative and when to let us take the lead. I highly recommend him for any wedding or other important events.
Wedding: 04/05/2013
OVE LOVE LOVE JOHN!
My husband and I hand our wedding celebration on March 23, 2013. We have seen a sneak peek of the photos from our wedding and they look amazing! We cannot wait to see the rest =)
I first met John back in 2011 when I attended my friends wedding. Funny thing because I caught the bouquet at her wedding, and a little less than a year later, I was engaged to be married (I guess the bouquet doesn't lie). Lucky me, John caught the moment on camera. When I saw John's photos of my friends wedding, I knew that when I get married, I was going to have John be the photographer. I loved all his photos and I would periodically stalk his blog. When my husband and I got engaged, the first vendor I knew I had to book was John for our photographer for our engagement photos and wedding. My dream was to have John shoot. When I looked at John's website I was so sad to see that it showed that he was fully booked for 2012. However, I still decided to email him, and when he responded, I was so excited to find out that he was only fully booked for wedding in 2012, he was still available for engagement shoots. We got package 3, and the price was reasonable for what we were getting. I've seen other packages from other photographers who were more expensive and they offered less, and I liked their work less.
So John and I started brainstorming for the engagement shoot, where we would have it and what the themes would be. We definitely fed off of each others ideas. When our engagement shoot day came, we had so much fun! John made my husband and I very comfortable, and the shots he took were amazing! Everybody loved them.
On the day before our wedding, John met us at the wedding ceremony, to scope out the wedding rehearsal, it was so nice of him to do that. When the big day finally came, John was always there to capture the major moments without feeling like he was in the way. That's what you want, a ninja photographer. Can't wait to see the rest of the wedding photos!
Wedding: 03/23/2013