SimplyTwo Photography
San Gabriel, CA 91776  | map
Style: Contemporary, Photojournalism, Portraiture
Packages: Albums, Custom Graphic Design, Digital Files, Flush...
Liability Insurance: Yes

Value:
Flexibility:

Sort By:

• Flexibility:  5.0
Du nu nu nahhhhhhh!!! Herey Herey JOHN is seriously the most amazing photog in all the land!! It does NOT get better than this fella. From the moment we met with John his chill demeanor and artistic swag shone through! We had a vision for our engagement shoot and John made it look straight out of a magazine! It was so easy to be natural around him and trust he knows what he is doing. Our wedding day was perfect and John made sure to capture each moment ......he was so sly we never saw him around but he caught every moment and moments we had no idea were being watched. The product looks soooooo crazyyyyy good its overwhelming. I have never seen another wedding photog take such artistic pics before. John we are so grateful for you and your talent!
Wedding: 02/21/2014
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We met with several photographers for initially and decided on John as we thought his sample pictures were exceptional and his personality was very easygoing. Throughout the entire process, John was extremely responsive, flexible, and just wonderful to work with. We did an engagement shoot as well as the day-of photography. My husband and I are kind of awkward in front of the camera and not very photogenic but John put us right at ease and the engagement session was great practice for the big day. He has a brilliant eye for poses and settings that look natural and worked well for us.

For the day of, John was on time and professional (and funny!). We got many comments from our friends and family about John's great personality. He put us right at ease. The pictures went quickly and smoothly. We were eager anticipating how the pictures would turn out.

A short month later, we received the pictures in a beautifully packaged CD, and they looked great! There are so many wonderful shots that I can't wait to print out. They definitely look like they're from a professional photographer. We shared the pictures with our friends and family and they raved about them as well. We would recommend John to anybody looking for a wedding photographer with our highest recommendation. Thanks for a really great job John and for documenting our day beautifully!!!
Wedding: 01/18/2014
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Awesome guy and an even awesomer photographer!!! Very professional and flexible! He made my husband and I very comfortable in front of the camera. Our engagement pictures turned out amazing! And we can't wait to see our wedding photos!
Wedding: 01/11/2014
  • Value:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  5.0
It was such a delight to work with John Yao of Simply Two Photography. I (bride) had met John a few years ago at another friend's wedding, and then again at a second wedding, where I was one of the maids-of-honor. It was such a positive experience in that John has such a non-anxious, positive presence. I saw how much my friends enjoyed having him as their photographer, and when I saw the pictures, I was amazed at the quality, the creativity, and the skill.

When my husband and I were looking for our own photographer, there were few whose skills compared to John's. We especially love the work he does using light. It is because of his skill that we chose him to be our photographer.

We are so delighted that we did - we haven't seen the full set of pictures quite yet, but from what he's passed on to us so far, we are just super impressed. Everyone who sees them is amazed at how he was able to capture amazing moments/people with such artistry and unique perspective.

I think there might be many artistically/creatively inclined photographers, but I think there are also those who do so without the right personality. John's personality is laidback enough to bring ease to everyone, but at the same time firm enough to get the shots done (like when you're getting those big group photos of everyone). He is very friendly to the wedding guests so that everyone is comfortable, yet not overly loud in his work to draw unnecessary attention.

One last piece is that John was extremely flexible with our needs. He was willing to tailor his contract to meet our needs - the hours we needed for photography, to travel to do an evening wedding party shoot, to do another type of photographing in place of engagement shots, etc.

Wedding: 12/28/2013

James 6 Reviews
John is a master photographer. When you first meet him, he seems a bit shy and coy, but once the gloves come off, he is a whiz with the camera. He notices things that novices and experts alike don't take into consideration. His imagery captures the very soul of the moment.

The first thing you'll notice about his photos is the lighting. His daylight pictures stream through and make the subject matter seem something out of a Robert Frost poem or a Renaissance painting. However, his best pictures have the rich colors he captures at twilight. It took only one look at some of these pictures for us to pick him without a second thought. He also works with you to incorporate props, dinosaurs, and whatever you want and can think of into your pictures. John's cool demeanor belies his youthful humor and he will keep you smiling throughout the process. From your engagement pictures to your rehearsal and finally to your wedding day, John gets all the shots you want and those special pictures that every bride and groom envisions at their wedding.

Unknown to us, a friend of ours also hired John as their photographer after we hired him, but before we got to meet him in person. We had the opportunity to see him in action and he did not disappoint. Several people made passing comments at both our friend's wedding and our wedding that John "doesn't look out of place. He was dancing with the crowd while capturing shots. He was a part of the party." And to us, this is the best way to capture candid pictures of your friends and family.

Weddings are supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime event. These pictures will provide a wonderful vivid reminder of that special day years to come, so you might as well go with the best.

And for the bridezillas out there, John takes many pictures for wedding magazines - although he will be too humble to tell you that in person.
Wedding: 09/28/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I first saw John's work when my (now) sister-in-law showed me her Engagement Session & immediately, I fell in love. I told my (now) husband then, if we were to get married, we will use him!
Fast forward a year later, my husband proposed and as soon as the excitement wore off, we contacted John. We knew that he only does 19 weddings a year, and I wanted to make sure that my wedding was one of the 19 for 2013! We wanted him as a photographer so bad that we actually worked around HIS availability to choose our wedding date and was it totally worth it? YES!!
From the moment you meet John, he immediately makes you feel comfortable and its like you've been friends forever. My husband is definitely camera shy and does not like taking pictures, but on our engagement shoot and wedding day, my husband was totally into it because of how comfortable John made him feel.
We get compliments on our pictures ALL the time and it is because of John's talented vision. You may take 10 pictures at the same spot, but the product will be 10 different set of beautiful pictures. I can't say enough good things about him! I highly recommend to any bride who would like to capture the big day in a BEAUTIFUL way. :) Thank you John from the bottom of our hearts! We couldn't have chosen a better photographer to capture our moments. Expect a call in a few years when we are ready for our first family pictures. :)
Wedding: 09/21/2013

Jennifer 2 Reviews
I first met John Y. (SimplyTwo Photography) when he shot my MOH's wedding a year before ours. Immediately, I knew I had to book him even before I was officially engaged! I was immediately sold on the way he connects with the bride, groom and wedding party, and told my now husband (then bf at the time) that we have to book John when we get married!

So fast forward a few months, we got engaged, and pretty much picked our wedding date accordingly to John's availability. John met my husband, David for the first time when we had an initial meeting at a local boba shop in West LA. David immediately liked his laid back attitude, creative ideas and work with you as a friend approach.

We spent a whole day with John for our engagement photos and felt so comfortable with him taking our photos. We toured around LA, shot in the rain and got drenched at some point, but it was so much fun thanks to John's creative and fun style. We absolutely loved our engagement photos and received endless compliments from our family and friends.

Now, for the big day. By the time, September 15th came around, we felt like we've known John for years. When he showed up at the hotel to shoot our wedding that day, it felt like seeing a good friend right before the wedding. He helped plan and coordinate a lot of the schedule so that we would maximize our time. He made both David and I feel comfortable and most importantly, special. You don't get the feeling that this is the 2374820078th wedding he's shot, but rather he is a good friend that genuinely wants to capture all the special moments of our big day. As the wedding day continued, and things got hectic, he was always there to keep everyone calm. He also works very well with all of our vendors! We felt like one big happy family. We couldn't be happier with John Yao at SimplyTwo and would recommend John for shooting all your life's biggest moments!
Wedding: 09/15/2013

Private User 2 Reviews
John is an awesome photographer! He truly follows his motto: owner. photographer. friend. John treats you like he would his actual friend and throughout the whole process of working with him it's quite apparent how much time, commitment, effort, and most of all care that he provides his clients. John is super personable and always tries to make you happy and comfortable throughout the whole process. He gives you advice and coaching to make you feel comfortable during the photo sessions. John always does not only what you ask him to, but he goes above and beyond even when the tasks you ask him to do aren't part of his job. Besides being super easy to work with John needless to say, takes amazing photos! I have gotten numerous comments on my engagement photos as well as my wedding photos. One of my guests even commented at the wedding that she wished her photographer thought of some of the poses and settings John chose to take for us. I highly recommend John if you are looking for someone really personable, caring, and takes awesome photos! :)
  • Value:  4.5

Private User 2 Reviews
John is a top notch photographer who makes you feel comfortable in all situations. He likes exciting fun couples and will make you laugh. Most importantly he gets incredible shots.
  • Flexibility:  4.5
Finding a photographer for our wedding was a very difficult task for us. Once all is said and done, the photographs are the only things that capture the special moments of the day. My husband was very picky about picking a photographer. We interviewed a couple of different vendors. The qualities we wanted in a photographer was someone who took high quality beautiful shots, creative pictures, reasonable prices, and a professional. We found that John at SimplyTwo had all those qualities. The two things that really sold us on picking SimplyTwo was that John is someone who my husband and I were truly comfortable around. He felt like a friend you had known for a while. We knew he would make our family and bridal party comfortable too. The other thing that sold us was we realized we wanted a photographer who made not just beautiful shots but creative funny shots. John is definitely the one for that. He will go the extra mile to get a shot that is not your "conventional posed wedding shot". We wanted to take a beach shot for our engagement session but unfortunately the sun had already gone down. John was up for the challenge though. We climbed down a rocky hill (in cold temperatures!) with our cell phone flashlights and he used a projector to light our beach scene. Those pictures actually turned out to be some of my favorite shots. He was also wonderful at our wedding too. He sees things at a different depth and angle than most of us do and the result is beautiful imagery. He captured the beautiful, funny, and serious moments perfectly for our big day. If you want someone who is great at what what they do, trustworthy, creative, and someone who makes you feel at home... then pick SimplyTwo... you won't regret it!
Wedding: 08/31/2013
Wedding: 08/31/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John is an awesome photographer. He is talented, creative, and works really well with people.

Our engagement shoot took a full day traveling around LA (including being in LA traffic), but John never complained. He was professional and patient throughout, capturing the exact pictures and locations that we wanted and adding his creativity into the mix for some of our most memorable shots.

On the wedding day, John arrived about an hour before our scheduled time for photos, and when asked why he was there so early, he replied, "An hour early is on time." (That made my mom happy.) During the family photos, which I expected to be pure chaos, John was funny, engaging, and got everyone's attention directed to him.

My only advice to brides is to book early--we booked him over a year before our wedding. His 2013 calendar was booked before the year even started!!
Wedding: 08/24/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
TL;DR – John Yao is quite possibly the greatest wedding photographer in the western hemisphere.

Long version:

We hired John to be our wedding photographer in August 2013, and we couldn’t have been any happier. We found him to be professional, personable, and creative. Choosing a photographer can feel like one of the most stressful decisions during wedding planning. With so many variables in style, personalities, and levels of experience, it feels like you’re playing the lottery. We must have hit the jackpot!

Right from the very beginning, John made us feel relaxed and comfortable. His friendly, down-to-earth personality quickly lightened up the typically awkward first conversation. It was obvious that he knew his stuff and clarified all of our questions and concerns. He was honest, flexible and worked with us to stay within our budget.

The first thing we noticed about John was that he had an uncanny ability to put you at ease in front of the camera. We were not familiar with being photographed prior to the engagement session. However, after just a few minutes, John made us feel like he wasn’t even there! We also really appreciated that he encouraged us to "be ourselves" and didn't force us to be in awkward and unrealistic poses.

John looked for creative ideas to capture our unique personalities. We also loved his clean, simple style that makes photos look ridiculously epic and breathtaking. You could tell right away this isn't some amateur taking pictures with his iPhone - this guy is a pro!

Basically, John is everything that you’d like to have in a wedding photographer. He’s very good at what he does and is very easy to get along with. He’s just an all-around nice guy to be around and you could tell that he cares about you like a friend! We would highly recommend him to anybody who asks.
Wedding: 08/10/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I really don’t know where to begin when it comes to John’s character and professionalism. After many recommendations and looking over other photographer’s portfolios, nothing compared to John’s work. After viewing and speaking to John we knew he was the one we wanted to hire for our wedding. We were worried we wouldn't be able to afford him because of our tight budget, but he worked with us and made it happen. I’ll admit even then we were still worried, but my husband and I were so impressed by him and the quality of his work that we said, “Forget it! We are keeping him!” and it was the best decision we made. He delivered beyond our expectations. He is truly gifted in capturing candid, intimate moments, your best angles at the best time. If you feel unsure on how to pose or position yourself, don’t worry . . . With his experience he will guide you and make you feel comfortable and look natural in any setting! Believe me when I say, you will NOT regret hiring him. He is helpful in every way. We truly enjoyed every moment working with him!
Part of our package included the engagement session and we were blown away! We loved our engagement photos so much we used them as mini Polaroid favors for our guest. We got tons of compliments on our pictures. Everyone asked us who our famous photographer was! Our entire party adored him for the simple fact that he is easy going, relaxed, kind, patient and extremely talented. We definitely plan on using him for future events!
Our wedding day felt like a blur so being able to go back and look at pictures is the closet we get to relive our wedding day. It’s been exactly two weeks since our wedding and we already have tons of pictures to look back on. John is prompt and will not keep you waiting like most do. My husband and I are open to speak to anyone who wants to know more about what is like to work with John. We give John permission to use us as a reference

Thank you, John for all your help! You rock!
Wedding: 08/09/2013
4.7/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  4.5

Private User 2 Reviews
John did an awesome job with our engagement and wedding pictures! He is creative, fun, and easy to work with.
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John was such an awesome photographer for us on our big day! As we were thinking about the many things that go into planning a wedding, we definitely wanted to hire a photographer that would allows us to relive and enjoy our wedding day years later; this is why we decided to go with SimplyTwo. We knew that hiring John to shoot our wedding was a no-brainer because he is so flexible to any ideas that you may want for engagement shoots, bridal party shoots, etc. On the other hand, if you're someone that find it hard to envision what kind of shots you want, John gives wonderful suggestions and guides you through the entire process so that your shoot will be fun, amazing, and memorable. I also appreciate the fact that he communicated things really well with us, and he knew exactly where he needed to be and when he needed to be there. His fun, easy-going, yet professional personality made our time with him enjoyable. Thanks again for all your hard work John :)
Wedding: 07/06/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
John is SO talented! He has really fancy equipment, but that only does not make a good photographer. A good photographer must have the creativity and the skill to be able to capture the moments, and John has both the eye for the creativity and the skill for getting that perfect shot.

We also can't wait to see what all the final pictures look like! John was so speedy with giving us a preview of the shots he took with his teasers and favorites and sharing some photos that he captured as quickly as the day after the wedding! I don't know of any other photographers that can make that fast of a turnover to let you preview what your wedding looked like.

Also, John was such a trooper! Our wedding day happened to be during a heat wave and he never once complained about the heat despite the fact that he was wearing a suit AND carrying all his camera equipment.

All in all, My husband and I are both so satisfied with working with John, we would definitely recommend him to others.
Wedding: 06/29/2013