SimplyTwo Photography

SimplyTwo Photography

San Gabriel, CA 91776 | map
Style: Contemporary, Photojournalism, Portraiture
Services: Custom Graphics, High-Res, Liability Insurance, Slid...
Items: Albums, Digital Files, Flush Mount, Matted Prints, N...

Quality of Service:
Responsiveness:
Professionalism:
Value:
Flexibility:
  • Flexibility: 5.0

John Yao was an absolute pleasure to work with. He was extremely professional but also super fun. We really felt like to took the time to really get to know us as well as our families and wedding party. Words can't describe how amazing the pictures turned out. He has a very special style of photography that we had not seen before and we are so grateful to have John capture our special day. Every special moment was captured by John and we cannot say enough good things about him. 5 stars are simply not enough!

• Wedding: 06/07/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

John at SimplyTwo is the absolute BEST. My husband and I have been fans of his work for years and love reading his blog and checking out his photos. We booked our engagement photos as well as our wedding photos with SimplyTwo and John has NOT disappointed us, not even a little. He was professional and put us at ease so that the photos captured our personalities and dynamic as a couple. Wedding photos are the one thing from the wedding that will be shared with friends and family over and over again - you want them to be the best. My husband and I relive our wedding through John's photos and all the happy/giddy feelings rush back each time. You will NOT be disappointed if you book with SimplyTwo. We can't wait to shoot more creatives with John in the future!

• Wedding: 06/01/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

My wife and I first heard of John’s work from a good friend who had nothing but good things to say about him. After my bride and I checked out his website, simplytwo.com, we instantly fell in love with his work and knew we needed to find out his availability asap and book our venue according to his availability.

Prior to scheduling any photo sessions, we met with John via Skype to become familiar with each other. Instantly, my wife and I found John easily relatable. He was so easy to talk to; we felt like we were talking with a friend than a vendor.

During our engagement photo session, John showed a high level of excitement and was able to make my beautiful bride and me comfortable. He makes it so easy for you to just be yourselves during the photo shoot. There was never an awkward or dull moment. It was amazing to see him at work, recognizing certain lighting and angles that we would have never noticed.

And let’s just say, the photos turned out freakin’ awesome! You can tell that he cares about the details and makes sure to capture each precious moment as though they were his own. He demonstrates exquisite care to produce each image in its best condition. The quality of his work is unparalleled.

After the session, John was extremely responsive to any questions my bride or I had. Also, we received the DVD containing our photos in the time frame he had promised.

Leading up to the wedding, John was very flexible in meeting with us and planning out our ceremony schedule. John definitely made us feel as if we were his top priority and he would do whatever it takes to get that beautiful shot that perfectly captures the moment.

And yes, the wedding photo highlights that we have seen so far are much better than my wife or I could have imagined. We almost cannot wait to see the rest.

We are so happy and thankful for the superb work John invested in our wedding and we would be more than happy to use him a thousand times over again.

• Wedding: 05/30/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

John is simply AMAZING. He is so good at putting an anxious bride at ease to get those amazing shots. I knew from the moment we met him, we were going to have EXCELLENT photos. He is so willing to take on suggestions and making them more than we ever hoped they would be (i.e. our sparkler shots for our engagement). LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all that you do and I would recommend him to EVERYONE.

• Wedding: 05/24/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

SimplyTwo was very professional, laid back, fun, and the pictures were great! It should be difficult to find all these attributes in one business, but SimplyTwo provides it all! John makes sure you are very comfortable in front of the camera, and he is able to capture very natural moments. I picked SimplyTwo because I've seen John's portfolio, and nothing compares to the quality and uniqueness of his shots. As a bonus, he is just wonderful to work with!

• Wedding: 04/12/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Hands down, Simply Two Photography was the best vendor choice to capture the big and small moments of both our wedding day and engagement shoot. John Yao produces high quality images that combine priceless emotions with the soft touch of beauty in every detail of each photo! Whether via text, email, or phone call, John responds within 24 hours or sooner. He is easy to work with and flexible to accommodate any sudden changes. He also gave his input when working with planning the overall flow of the day. John's many years of experience and beautiful talent behind the lens makes him the best wedding photographer!

Best pictures are always the jumping ones!

• Wedding: Recently Married
Private User
  • Flexibility: 5.0

John is one of the best in wedding photography industry. He's been featured many times in wedding magazines for his awesome work. We knew John Yao for many years and the day we got engaged we knew who our wedding photographer was already going to be. Mr. John Yao from SimplyTwo Photography. We had John shoot our engagement photos and our wedding day, both times John was very professional and punctual. John was very fun to work with because we were able to give him a few of our ideas and he was able to help us refine and execute those shots to make sure it was exactly what we wanted. He made us look so good that we never thought we could look so photogenic in our pictures. We got many compliments from all of our friends and family about the pictures that he took. He doesn't photoshop the pictures to the point where it looks fake and unreal, what he does is that he captures the perfect picture at the right time.

Everyone knows how stressful a wedding can be, especially being the bride. Fortunately, John was able to make our day more relaxed and carefree. He was funny and very professional at the same time. I will not hesitate to recommend John to any of my friends, although he's a little pricey, it's well worth it!!

Thanks John for your services!

• Wedding: 02/22/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Du nu nu nahhhhhhh!!! Herey Herey JOHN is seriously the most amazing photog in all the land!! It does NOT get better than this fella. From the moment we met with John his chill demeanor and artistic swag shone through! We had a vision for our engagement shoot and John made it look straight out of a magazine! It was so easy to be natural around him and trust he knows what he is doing. Our wedding day was perfect and John made sure to capture each moment ......he was so sly we never saw him around but he caught every moment and moments we had no idea were being watched. The product looks soooooo crazyyyyy good its overwhelming. I have never seen another wedding photog take such artistic pics before. John we are so grateful for you and your talent!

• Wedding: 02/21/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We met with several photographers for initially and decided on John as we thought his sample pictures were exceptional and his personality was very easygoing. Throughout the entire process, John was extremely responsive, flexible, and just wonderful to work with. We did an engagement shoot as well as the day-of photography. My husband and I are kind of awkward in front of the camera and not very photogenic but John put us right at ease and the engagement session was great practice for the big day. He has a brilliant eye for poses and settings that look natural and worked well for us.

For the day of, John was on time and professional (and funny!). We got many comments from our friends and family about John's great personality. He put us right at ease. The pictures went quickly and smoothly. We were eager anticipating how the pictures would turn out.

A short month later, we received the pictures in a beautifully packaged CD, and they looked great! There are so many wonderful shots that I can't wait to print out. They definitely look like they're from a professional photographer. We shared the pictures with our friends and family and they raved about them as well. We would recommend John to anybody looking for a wedding photographer with our highest recommendation. Thanks for a really great job John and for documenting our day beautifully!!!

• Wedding: 01/18/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Awesome guy and an even awesomer photographer!!! Very professional and flexible! He made my husband and I very comfortable in front of the camera. Our engagement pictures turned out amazing! And we can't wait to see our wedding photos!

• Wedding: 01/11/2014
4.9/5.0
  • Value: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

It was such a delight to work with John Yao of Simply Two Photography. I (bride) had met John a few years ago at another friend's wedding, and then again at a second wedding, where I was one of the maids-of-honor. It was such a positive experience in that John has such a non-anxious, positive presence. I saw how much my friends enjoyed having him as their photographer, and when I saw the pictures, I was amazed at the quality, the creativity, and the skill.

When my husband and I were looking for our own photographer, there were few whose skills compared to John's. We especially love the work he does using light. It is because of his skill that we chose him to be our photographer.

We are so delighted that we did - we haven't seen the full set of pictures quite yet, but from what he's passed on to us so far, we are just super impressed. Everyone who sees them is amazed at how he was able to capture amazing moments/people with such artistry and unique perspective.

I think there might be many artistically/creatively inclined photographers, but I think there are also those who do so without the right personality. John's personality is laidback enough to bring ease to everyone, but at the same time firm enough to get the shots done (like when you're getting those big group photos of everyone). He is very friendly to the wedding guests so that everyone is comfortable, yet not overly loud in his work to draw unnecessary attention.

One last piece is that John was extremely flexible with our needs. He was willing to tailor his contract to meet our needs - the hours we needed for photography, to travel to do an evening wedding party shoot, to do another type of photographing in place of engagement shots, etc.

• Wedding: 12/28/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

John is a master photographer. When you first meet him, he seems a bit shy and coy, but once the gloves come off, he is a whiz with the camera. He notices things that novices and experts alike don't take into consideration. His imagery captures the very soul of the moment.

The first thing you'll notice about his photos is the lighting. His daylight pictures stream through and make the subject matter seem something out of a Robert Frost poem or a Renaissance painting. However, his best pictures have the rich colors he captures at twilight. It took only one look at some of these pictures for us to pick him without a second thought. He also works with you to incorporate props, dinosaurs, and whatever you want and can think of into your pictures. John's cool demeanor belies his youthful humor and he will keep you smiling throughout the process. From your engagement pictures to your rehearsal and finally to your wedding day, John gets all the shots you want and those special pictures that every bride and groom envisions at their wedding.

Unknown to us, a friend of ours also hired John as their photographer after we hired him, but before we got to meet him in person. We had the opportunity to see him in action and he did not disappoint. Several people made passing comments at both our friend's wedding and our wedding that John "doesn't look out of place. He was dancing with the crowd while capturing shots. He was a part of the party." And to us, this is the best way to capture candid pictures of your friends and family.

Weddings are supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime event. These pictures will provide a wonderful vivid reminder of that special day years to come, so you might as well go with the best.

And for the bridezillas out there, John takes many pictures for wedding magazines - although he will be too humble to tell you that in person.

• Wedding: 09/28/2013
James
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I first saw John's work when my (now) sister-in-law showed me her Engagement Session & immediately, I fell in love. I told my (now) husband then, if we were to get married, we will use him! Fast forward a year later, my husband proposed and as soon as the excitement wore off, we contacted John. We knew that he only does 19 weddings a year, and I wanted to make sure that my wedding was one of the 19 for 2013! We wanted him as a photographer so bad that we actually worked around HIS availability to choose our wedding date and was it totally worth it? YES!! From the moment you meet John, he immediately makes you feel comfortable and its like you've been friends forever. My husband is definitely camera shy and does not like taking pictures, but on our engagement shoot and wedding day, my husband was totally into it because of how comfortable John made him feel. We get compliments on our pictures ALL the time and it is because of John's talented vision. You may take 10 pictures at the same spot, but the product will be 10 different set of beautiful pictures. I can't say enough good things about him! I highly recommend to any bride who would like to capture the big day in a BEAUTIFUL way. :) Thank you John from the bottom of our hearts! We couldn't have chosen a better photographer to capture our moments. Expect a call in a few years when we are ready for our first family pictures. :)

• Wedding: 09/21/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I first met John Y. (SimplyTwo Photography) when he shot my MOH's wedding a year before ours. Immediately, I knew I had to book him even before I was officially engaged! I was immediately sold on the way he connects with the bride, groom and wedding party, and told my now husband (then bf at the time) that we have to book John when we get married!

So fast forward a few months, we got engaged, and pretty much picked our wedding date accordingly to John's availability. John met my husband, David for the first time when we had an initial meeting at a local boba shop in West LA. David immediately liked his laid back attitude, creative ideas and work with you as a friend approach.

We spent a whole day with John for our engagement photos and felt so comfortable with him taking our photos. We toured around LA, shot in the rain and got drenched at some point, but it was so much fun thanks to John's creative and fun style. We absolutely loved our engagement photos and received endless compliments from our family and friends.

Now, for the big day. By the time, September 15th came around, we felt like we've known John for years. When he showed up at the hotel to shoot our wedding that day, it felt like seeing a good friend right before the wedding. He helped plan and coordinate a lot of the schedule so that we would maximize our time. He made both David and I feel comfortable and most importantly, special. You don't get the feeling that this is the 2374820078th wedding he's shot, but rather he is a good friend that genuinely wants to capture all the special moments of our big day. As the wedding day continued, and things got hectic, he was always there to keep everyone calm. He also works very well with all of our vendors! We felt like one big happy family. We couldn't be happier with John Yao at SimplyTwo and would recommend John for shooting all your life's biggest moments!

• Wedding: 09/15/2013
Jennifer
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I would highly recommend John Yao at simplytwo.com. I met John from college and have watched him grow as an artist and getting published at big-name magazines like The Knot. He's very down to earth and makes being in front of the camera comfortable. We live in San Francisco Bay Area, and we like him so much that we flew him up twice! John went way above and beyond for both our engagement and wedding photo shoots. We had a cooking and picnic theme for our engagement session, and after many hours of taking photos, he searched around the trail area and ended up finding a spot, where one of my very favorite photo with my husband was taken! Classy and timeless. On our wedding day, I rested at ease knowing that he was going to take care of us without missing special moments. Our wedding photos are amazing, and I am grateful for everything John has done for us.

• Wedding: 09/08/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

John is an awesome photographer! He truly follows his motto: owner. photographer. friend. John treats you like he would his actual friend and throughout the whole process of working with him it's quite apparent how much time, commitment, effort, and most of all care that he provides his clients. John is super personable and always tries to make you happy and comfortable throughout the whole process. He gives you advice and coaching to make you feel comfortable during the photo sessions. John always does not only what you ask him to, but he goes above and beyond even when the tasks you ask him to do aren't part of his job. Besides being super easy to work with John needless to say, takes amazing photos! I have gotten numerous comments on my engagement photos as well as my wedding photos. One of my guests even commented at the wedding that she wished her photographer thought of some of the poses and settings John chose to take for us. I highly recommend John if you are looking for someone really personable, caring, and takes awesome photos! :)

• Wedding: 1+ year ago