Milwaukee Yacht Club

• Responsiveness: 5.0
  • Professionalism: 5.0
  • Value: 5.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Milwaukee Yacht Club had exceptional food (which my guests raved about), had a great team to work with, and went over and above the "call of duty" to make sure our guests had a great time and my husband and I had no pressure or concerns throughout the whole night.

• Wedding: 03/31/2012
Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue
4.6/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Responsiveness: 5.0
  • Professionalism: 5.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

After having to change our date, losing a reception contract, and having two reception vendors back out of their contracts, the Yacht Club was a huge relief. We almost had to cancel our wedding when we couldn't find a site, but Todd set up a tour on almost no notice and took care of our contract that day. Todd was great to work with- he responded to our phone calls and emails the same day, he was organized, and he was willing to work with our budget to pick the best meal options.

The day of the yacht club was very helpful. They let us come that morning to set up and made sure the room looked exactly as we wanted. We were disappointed with certain aspects of the reception. When we booked the site Todd told me he would be there the day of, but without warning he wasn't. There was a manager there instead, and while he was helpful he didn't really communicate with us. After dinner they put the extra food (which there was alot of since we had about 15 no-shows) in chafing dishes by the bar, yet no one told us. The guests that came later would have been happy to eat the leftovers, but we had no idea the food was there until they took it away. Due to health code we couldn't take the food with us, but I'm sure the staff was happy to eat the extra food we'd paid $250+ for. There was also a lack of communication by the bartender. We were paying for two types of tap beer and wine, but the bartender didn't tell the guests that only certain beers were included until he was ringing up their tab. I had several guests (including my dad) get hit by this one, and it was frustrating to everyone.

One of the most disappointing parts for me was dinner. It looked great, but as I cut my pork I found a pubic hair underneath. I was disgusted but hungry so I gave my plate to the GM, showed him the hair, and headed back to the buffet line to try some chicken. I got to eat only one bite of the chicken (which was actually very good!) before the toasts and family traditions started and I had to leave the table for a few minutes. By the time I got back to my seat the server had taken my plate and they were clearing the buffet. It was so disappointing that I didn't get to enjoy my first meal with my husband, and even more frustrating when they took away the leftover food and I still hadn't had anything to eat. To be fair, when I told Todd about the situation he did take $50 off our final bill. It doesn't fix the fact that my wedding meal ended up being a sub at 2am, but it was a nice gesture on his part.

The final thing that taints my view of the MYC is something I didn't find out until recently. Two of my co-workers had to work until almost 11pm so they got to the reception toward the end, but the guard at the gate would not let them through. They told him my name, but he wouldn't let them in, telling them "it's almost over anyway." This was an hour before we left. It makes me so frustrated that guests were turned away for such a stupid reason; they came all the way to the door only to be turned away.

Despite all this I would still recommend the Yacht Club, but only if you can work with Todd and ensure that he'll be there the day of. I think if he'd been there communication would have been better and there would have been more accountability for how we and our guests were treated.

• Wedding: 08/16/1985