Delaware Museum of Natural History

Delaware Museum of Natural History

Unique, fun, special. Evening events, naturally!

4840 Kennett Pike

(4.8 / 5.0)
Flexibility:
(4.8 / 5.0)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

What a unique venue this was for our special day. It was fun, fascinating, engaging and quite beautiful. We enjoyed working with Dawn and her staff as well as the recommended vendors for equipment rental and catering. It was a first class affair. The staff also went above and beyond the call of duty to insure success. When the bustle came u fastened on my bridal gown, we found that one of the staff members at the museum was also a seamstress so she truly saved the day and paved the way for Lots of dancing! A fun time was had by all! Parking was a breeze and the setting is one of a kind!

• Wedding: 06/07/2014
Nancy
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Delaware Museum of Natural History is a great venue to host any small to medium sized event. Dawn, the museum's event coordinator, was very responsive to our needs and kept everyone abreast of all the details of the space as well as regulations to which we needed to adhere. With her experience and knowledge of the unique layout of the museum, she worked well with all the different players involved in creating the wedding we wanted. Our wedding went very well.

• Wedding: 06/07/2014
Daniel
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Stephanie Graves was terrific, very helpful and pleasant to deal with. Great support and ideas offered.

• Wedding: 05/15/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

It was an absolutely perfect venue for our wedding. We loved the flexibility to arrange the ceremony, cocktails, dancing and dining in various parts of the museum. Dawn was wonderful to work with and made it very easy to arrange our day from abroad.

• Wedding: Recently Married
Private User
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Dawn, Stephanie, and the rest of the staff at the Delaware Museum of Natural History were wonderful to work with! They are kind, caring, accommodating and understanding. They helped to make the museum the perfect venue for our wedding. If you are looking for an interesting, non-traditional, and fun location for your event, the Delaware Museum of Natural History is the right spot!

• Wedding: 09/14/2013
Betsy
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We could not have been happier with how our daughter's wedding turned out! Dawn was simply amazing throughout the whole process (from preparation decisions all the way through to the day of). I'm still overwhelmed with how well everything went and how beautiful the museum looked for the event. We took every bit of advice Dawn gave us, and she was 100% correct - as everything went super smoothly and the museum looked incredibly elegant. The flow of the evening between the ceremony to reception to dancing was just perfect. Everyone who attended has been just raving that it was the best wedding ever. Dawn's guidance certainly got us there!

• Wedding: 08/24/2013
Joan
  • Flexibility: 5.0

This is an incredible venue, and the staff is fantastic. The price for the amount of space and amount of guidance you get is a wonderful value. My family was wowed as I was wed under the dinosaurs and then danced all evening in the atrium. Absolutely amazing.

• Wedding: 11/17/2012
  • Flexibility: 5.0

This museum was a terrific wedding venue! We had the ceremony and reception there - it was a pleasure to deal with Dawn and the rest of the staff that we encountered were delightful as well! All the vendors we used were terrific. It was a wonderful experience!!

• Wedding: 09/29/2012
Martha
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I'm so glad we decided to have our wedding here! The space was great, and their events contact, Dawn Swartout, was extremely helpful and professional. We had lots of fantastic photos that could only be taken there. I highly recommend.

• Wedding: 09/08/2012
4.1/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 3.5

Our firm used this venue for our company holiday party and it turned out to be a quite a unique event. The staff was professional and accommodating and all of our needs were met in a timely fashion. I would recommend the Museum for anyone's special event.

• Wedding: 12/03/2011
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Dawn was such a pleasure to work with and very accommodating. My wedding was pretty hectic considering I was planning and trying to coordinate everything, and Dawn was super friendly and very helpful. I booked the entire museum/including the exhibit hall, and it worked out perfectly for my ceremony and reception. I would definitely consider renting the space again for another event.

• Wedding: 11/11/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Amazing, amazing place for a wedding. Purely for aesthetics the space is fantastic, and despite feeling 100% like a museum it's actually really well suited for wedding events (good space for dancing, food vendor setup, cocktails/toasts, dining table setup). Nothing about the setup felt awkward or out of place - it was a perfectly natural place for wedding (excuse the pun!).

In addition to being a really cool place with plenty of awesome exhibits to look at, the staff are exceptional. Everyone I worked with was very professional, and because of their experience and familiarity with weddings and other events they anticipated EVERYTHING. As is always the case with a big event, not everything went perfectly smoothly, but they handled everything that came their way with grace, and quickly. My contact was a wonderful woman named Dawn Swartout - if she suggests something to you logistics-wise, follow her advice, it's gold.

I had a great experience there and can't imagine a better place to get married. It was wonderful.

• Wedding: 10/22/2011
4.7/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.5
  • Responsiveness: 4.5
  • Value: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The museum was the perfect ceremony and venue spot for my wedding. I wanted something different and interesting for my guests and they loved it! The museum was very flexible when we moved our ceremony indoors due to the rainy weather. There are many interesting photo opportunities at the museum plus the ability to really play into the nature/science theme. They even had a video nook where during cocktail hour we could show photos of my husband and I. Later we showed a movie for the kids who were at the wedding. Keep in mind a few things if booking this: choose the right caterer who is familiar with the museum (we had The Greenery), you need insurance, your dance floor space and guest count will be a bit limited due to space.

• Wedding: 06/11/2011
  • Value: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 4.5

We had the most wonderful wedding at the Delaware Museum of Natural History! Dawn was extremely helpful and we found a wonderful caterer (Susan at Montrachet) and they worked together to help make this day happen. It was a lot of coordinating but definitely worth it, guests said was that it was the best wedding they'd ever been to! As for us, we loved the unique atmosphere and was definitely a fantastic day!

• Wedding: 06/04/2011
  • Flexibility: 4.0

Had our reception at DMNH. We both work in science, so the location fit us really well, plus the surrounding area is beautiful. When we were looking for reception halls (in West Chester and Wilmington), so many locations were on a highway with the less than scenic backdrop of car dealerships and strip malls.

The facility fee is quite reasonable, considering that similar sites charge comparable fees but do not provide the staff that DMNH does. Dawn Swartout was a pleasure to work with, helpful at every stage of planning. Dawn and an additional staff member were at the reception which was a great help in set-up and keeping the evening running smoothly.

We chose a date when the exhibit hall was occupied, so our dinner seating (140 guests) was split between the dinosaur and the mammal rooms. I had my doubts about how the galleries would look with tables for dinner. They looked great, and the whole arrangement (buffet in the canteen area, dance floor in the central atrium) worked really well. We even lucked out and got August weather that was cool enough to do cocktails on the patio.

I deducted 1 star for flexibility because there are a few restrictions (no open flames, no decorations on the walls), but these were minor. I highly recommend DMNH. Everyone had fun at our wedding, and while we still would have had a great time elsewhere, the uniqueness of the location definitely contributed.

• Wedding: 08/07/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Dawn, the museum coordinator, was very easy to deal with and was incredibly responsive to all of my many questions! My husband and I chose to get married in the dinosaur room which had never been done before. This is a circular room so it posed a challenge when it came to set-up. Dawn was really terrific helping up us figure out the best layout so that all of our invited guests would be able to see everything. I would recommend the Museum of Natural History to anyone who is looking for a unique wedding experience for you and your guests!

• Wedding: 05/21/2010
302-658-9111
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire

My Awards