Rebecca
Master October 2025

Your vows: are you slipping in a joke or keeping it strictly sentimental?

Rebecca, on December 27, 2018 at 10:05 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 12
Saved Save

When it comes time to recite your vows, will you have the crowd in tears from your affectionate words? Or will you have them crying from laughing? Are you keeping your vows sincere, humorous, or a mix of both?

Your vows: are you slipping in a joke or keeping it strictly sentimental? 1

Photo from My Generation Weddings in Santa Barbara, CA

Say “I do” to these discussions: Custom or classic vows?, Wedding Vows!! Who spoke first?, & Vows - to share or not to share?

12 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

I've actually posted here about my concerns that we're TOO goofy and our ceremony might not be serious or romantic enough! I'm sure that our vows will be perfectly "us" and there will be plenty of tears and laughs involved.

• Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    We kept the actual vows traditional, but the ceremony script included our ~love story~ and engagement story which were filled with humor. People reported that they laughed AND cried, and learned things they hadn’t known. We included a shout out to the guy who effectively talked me into agreeing to the first date 🤣, AND told the story of how neither of us knew which finger the ring went on when he proposed so he had to google on the spot haha. Then there was some classic romantic lovely stuff in there too Smiley winking
  • Tamara
    VIP August 2019
    Tamara ·
    • Flag

I definitely plan to bring in some humor, if we didn't it wouldn't be us.

• Alexandra
    VIP June 2019
    Alexandra ·
    • Flag
    I’m not very funny, but my FH is. I would be super surprised if he didn’t include some humor in his vows!
  • HayMrsO
    Master October 2018
    HayMrsO ·
    • Flag

We were mostly romantic, but I did slip a joke in there that he didn't know about.

• OnCloudRawls
    VIP June 2019
    OnCloudRawls ·
    • Flag

I'm keeping my vows sentimental. I wouldn't want to try to be funny and the delivery of the joke is a failure. Lol. Awkward moment.

• Alyrae
    Super February 2020
    Alyrae ·
    • Flag
    I am keeping them vary sentimental .... before I met my FH. I was extremely depressed to the point I wanted to kill myself..... I was 14 then I met Michael.... he was different then most people he cared for me and I always say he saved my life.... he is the reason I am alive today and I want everyone to know this story and to know that I will always be with him because of what he did for me
  • Rebecca
    Master October 2025
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

YES I remember your post! I'm sure your vows are perfect Smiley heart

• Rebecca
    Master October 2025
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's exactly how I feel too! Being goofy is just part of the relationship!

• Nemo
    VIP August 2018
    Nemo ·
    • Flag

We chose to do traditional vows (with a modern twist) but our ceremony was hilarious and heartfelt. Our pastor nailed it. It was super personal and totally "us"

• Kaylacamille
    Dedicated June 2019
    Kaylacamille ·
    • Flag

Knowing how we are, there will be a mix of tears and laughter!

• Rebecca
    Master October 2025
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Sounds like the perfect combination! Are you two writing your own vows?!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics