jessica
VIP May 2008

worst things you had in your pregnancy

jessica , on May 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM Posted in Married Life 0 38
Saved Save

I'm in my in 10th week have so far the worst thing i have had so far is dry hiving to the point of vomiting when i bush my teeth i accually fear brushing my teeth and i've tired 3 different toothpaste. So all the women with kids and babies what was the worst thing you had in your pregnancy?

38 Comments

• Matt Potvin
    January 2020
    Matt Potvin ·
    • Flag

As a male and photographer, definitely that I didn't take pictures of my wife when she was pregnant, our son will be two in a couple weeks, and just today I got blasted again for not having done it. Only trouble is, whenever I'd want to do it, she was wanting sleep. I think pregnant women are beautiful so I wanted to! But she had the hole body image self conscious thing going on. Again, pregnancy = beautiful! But I think when those words are coming from a spouse the impression is that you're forced to say it.

• Lynsi
    Devoted July 2009
    Lynsi ·
    • Flag

Haha man I could write a book! I had the toothpaste problem too and ALL food grosed me out unless it was fruit. I couldt stand the smell of cologne or perfume and wanted to puke all over the person wearing it. Morning sickness lasted for 7 fun months every morning night and anytime in between. Pregnacy induced insomnia. The 8 weeks of bed rest. I had a tough pregnancy but suprisingly I want to do it again. I guess the joy of a baby makes you forget how miserable you were!

But on the plus side I only gained 15 lbs and out of the hospital only had 3 lbs left to lose! Somehow I dont think I wil be so lucky next time. Also the above was right I only have one pic of my belly and wish I would have taken more!

• after8years
    Expert October 2009
    after8years ·
    • Flag

In the start I had bad cravings, like I think my worst was pickels, bacon on toast with miricle whip and I couldnt get enough orange crush soda. Towards the end when your ready to pop I coildnt sleep I had leg cramps, pee constantly, couldnt go #2 at all (thats when you really feel crappy) the nerves in my back and legs got pinched, and I miss it now but the feel of his little foot sticking out by my side.

But I have to say after 2 kids I agree with my mom that it is the worst pain you will forget. All the little yuks that go with pregnacy, including delivery are funny memories, and you really dont remember the pain of birth until your in labor with your next one. Enjoy as much as you can this is best thing you will ever do, Bring a beautiful life into this world. it is awesome what our bodies can do. ENJOY and best of luck with the next 6 and half months.

• BeckiO
    VIP June 2013
    BeckiO ·
    • Flag

Jessica, I had all day sickness for 7 months, my worst 2 cravings were pickles and Salt and Vinegar Chips, but the worst of it for me was defanitely the all day sickness, feeling self-conscious that I also only have one belly shot (but a dress covering it, I wouldn't do any of the bare belly shots for the life of me and now wish I did), and really the labor pain especially when the nurse was trying to find out how dialated I was (only 1cm) and then my water breaking (painful), so were the contractions, and the epidurals (which they still had to completely knock me out). I felt bad my hubby couldn't witness the birth of our baby and neither could I. He did get to see them clean him up and everything, and I had to wait hours after he was born until I got to hold my little man which I was just overly excited. Defanitely bring a camera with you. I wish I had more pictures especially of all of the nurses, and my OBGYN holding my son after delivering him. Honestly enjoy every second of it.

• BeckiO
    VIP June 2013
    BeckiO ·
    • Flag

As your belly grows, if you're looking for a good pillow to have near your stomach, those squishy pillows are great even for travel. I used that instead of a body pillow and it was comfortable to lay on. I even had mine in the hospital with me after giving birth. I forgot to mention, I hate being poked with needles, that was another thing I didn't enjoy so much were all the tests where they poke you with needles (even had to to the Glucosamine test during my pregnancy on my Wedding Day). I wouldn't let them prick my ring finger since I wasn't wearing a bandaid on the finger my wedding band was being placed on a couple hours later.

• ruth
    Expert July 2009
    ruth ·
    • Flag

I think the worst was leg cramps. I would get them really bad and would shoot up out a dead sleep with pain and start screaming. Oh and I would have to drive 2 hours to get a corn dog from "hot dog on a stick" because I craved it so bad and a reg hate corn dogs.

• Emilia
    Devoted July 2011
    Emilia ·
    • Flag

Omg! I thought i was the only one with the brushing my teeth thing! LOL! Youll get used too that before it goes away. To me the morning sickness is the worst thing of all. Even worse then labor! At least too me. I also got the cramps and the heart burn. The most annoying but kinda funny thing too me was when the baby got the hiccups (which was everyday especially when i drank soda or something cold) Another annoying thing was when i couldnt sit down because the baby would move too much when i did (you could see my stomach getting deformed when the baby moved. it was crazy) Biggest craving in my first pregnancy was dr.pepper and second pregnancy was fruit and nachos. Oh and i hated riding by the pickle factory because the smell grossed me out so much. But like everybody says Is sooo worth it! And definitely take pics! Before you know it it will be too late!

• taekwondomom
    Dedicated July 2009
    taekwondomom ·
    • Flag

You don't really want to know the worst. I could tell stories, but really, that's not the thing to be focusing on right now. I doubt it would make you feel better to know that other people went through worse things, and it might just make you worry that those thing will happen to you.

If the nausea is very bad, you could try acupuncture. I had great results with it while pregnant with my 3rd child. Then again, usually the nausea type things only last for the first 12-13 weeks, so you may be past it soon. Hang in there and think positive! The 2nd trimester is way better!

• newmant1
    Dedicated November 2009
    newmant1 ·
    • Flag

Oh there's this great website that I've been going to since the beginning of my pregnancy (baby is 8 months old). Its

i-am-pregnant.com. Its kind of like this website where u can go and talk to women that are in the same boat as u. U kind of bond with them because u can ask them questions and basically most of you will be feeling the exact same. I love it. And happy pregnancy

• Anne&Tim
    Expert August 2009
    Anne&Tim ·
    • Flag

I had three terrible terrible scary pregnancies. I was so sick, absolutely everything made me sick - smells, tastes..EVERYTHING. My husband would cook and Id stuff towels under the door of my room and then bury my head in a pillow. I lost 20 pounds off the bat with all. I lived in the hospital with IVs for food. Then with my second I started going into labor at 7 months. I lived in the hospital but ended up having her 7 weeks early. Then my 3rd(very unplanned) was worse. I was extremely high risk & wasnt supposed to have any more. My husband & I had no insurance. I had a monitor to watch contractions at home that they could watch at the hospital. I started going into labor at 5 months but she made it full term

• bluswoman
    Devoted August 2009
    bluswoman ·
    • Flag

You poor thing!! You will be scared to death after reading all these! Lol...Just to let you know all pregnancies are not this way. My first I had morning sickness the first three months and cravings for chocolate shakes and omelets and that was it. My other two I barely even had morning sickness!! From what I had heard most times the sickness goes away after 12 or so weeks...of course not all....hope you get past it soon!!

• mikaburge
    Savvy August 2009
    mikaburge ·
    • Flag

Well I just had a baby (he is 7 months now) and since your only 10 weeks now I wont go into any of the horrid details about late pregnancy. :c) Just kidding. But strangely, in early pregnancy drinking pepsi seemed to calm my stomach. I never drank pepsi before that, but it worked for me. Also eating sour candy helped too. I ate sweet tarts like crazy!!! As far as brushing your teeth, for me I noticed that if I brushed my tongue first before brushing my teeth, I didn't gag as much. Hope it works for you and good luck with your pregnancy!!!

• Julie
    Dedicated April 2010
    Julie ·
    • Flag

My first pregnancy my daughter was sitting on my siatic nerve so there was a sharp pain that went from my hip area all the way to my knee. That about killed me. I have a problem brushing my teeth too. It wasnt the toothpaste for me but the tooth brush and my gag reflex. Heartburn was HORRIBLE. Oh and she bruised my ribs because she kicked so hard. My second pregnancy I was always nausious and my hormones were OUT OF CONTROL. I was a B****! I can admit that now but my poor fiance got the brunt of everything. I was a mess! You should get the book "what to expect when youre expecting" if you dont have it already. It was like my pregnancy bible!

• Michele O'Neal
    January 2020
    Michele O'Neal ·
    • Flag

My worst was definately the heart burn...I had to sleep sitting up on the couch--and she was so high up, It felt like my ribs were separating..and not just a little.. I had boudoir pictures taken when I was 7 1/2 month pregnant--I swear the photographer thought I was due any minute and with twins..my doctor was trying to figure out if there was a twin hiding..there wasnt..thank goodness, only one,

8 lbs and 14 ounces..20 inches long.. and a 14 inch head (the nurses were giggling when they realized how big her head was, I have it on DVD) No, didnt have a C-section. She was my second and LAST!

• Michele O'Neal
    January 2020
    Michele O'Neal ·
    • Flag

Forgot to mention the horrible craving for McDonald's McRib Sandwiches... Yes, they are probably the must disgusting meat-like substance on the menu, but I had to have it...and Tommy Burger Chili Cheese Burgers with Chili Cheese Fries.... Yeah Tommy Burger!!!

• Paige Mejia
    January 2020
    Paige Mejia ·
    • Flag

Well, good news in the dry heaves will be over soon. I was always nauseous due to the pre-natal vitamins, so you may try switching to Flintstones chewables (seriously) as they have the same amount of Folic Acid. I can definitely recommend the epidural...my babies were so small they darn near fell on the floor, but all the stuff they have to do afterwards...I am SO glad I didn't feel that!

I would say the worst part is when they turn 2!

• lauri
    Beginner March 2010
    lauri ·
    • Flag

I never experienced any problems throughout my pregnancy( i was told i was a lucky one), however my cousin experienced vomiting throughout her whole pregnacy and our doctor told her that should she eat the things that taste good coming up. Gross i know, but it worked for her because there was nothing that would even slightly help with the vomiting. Now when the baby starts to drop in the third trimester, beware. It hurt more that i could explain, hard to walk and sit and to get up from sitting. It feels as if something is pulling the back of your spine down all the time. And my contractions during labor were excrusiating. It was so bad i was put on oxygen because i could not breath between them. I dont mean to scare you or anything, but it is all worth it in the end.

• Lois Lyons
    January 2020
    Lois Lyons ·
    • Flag

I think all teenaged boys and girls should read this thread. This is the best advertisement for birth control I have ever read!!! Smiley smile

• Sam
    Beginner November 2019
    Sam ·
    • Flag

I just want to say kids are cute and all but not for me... I applaud all you ladies who went through 9 months of hell! I could never do it! my fiance wants a baby and I dont and reading all your stories... well that just makes me more certain I do NOT want to do it!!!

but again I applaud you ladies for doing so! I'm sure all your kids are cute,

and Jessica, GOOD LUCK!!

• J
    Savvy June 2009
    jed103100 ·
    • Flag

Definitely the toothbrush thing. HORRIBLE back pain in all 3. As my last pregnancy went on, it got to the point I couldn't sit. I would cry in my car on the way home from work, it hurt so bad. I have issues with premature babies too, no idea why, but definitely no fun. Not to scare you, but my last one started her attempts at arrival last week of Feb. and due date was April 15. Then she got stuck, no joke. She was head first, but upside down. The contractions started 1st week of March, I was dilated to 2. I would be having awful contractions, about 2 min. apart for 4 or 5 hrs., then would stop for a little, then start up again. Since she was in the wrong position, the contractions wouldn't dilate anything. This went on until she had passed the premature point and the docs induced me. Said they couldn't let it go on anymore, my body was under too much stress. But, in the end, I was in the first stage of labor for a month, it was awful. But better than having another preemie! Good luck!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics