Joanna
Savvy October 2020

Will my bridesmaids ever wear their dresses again?

Joanna, on May 8, 2019 at 8:56 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 24
Saved Save

Okay, so I'm aware of the old "You can TOTALLY wear that again!" joke. I've told my crew that they can just pick a dress they like in any hue of purple from wherever, but they've all kind of gone deer-in-the-headlights so I've agreed to go on shopping trips to places like David's Bridal.

Am I deluding myself in thinking they might actually be able to buy a bridesmaid's dress that they really like and can wear again? I've been a bridesmaid twice and I have to admit I never even considered wearing my dress again. Maybe it's a silly thing to focus on.

24 Comments

• Catlyn
    Dedicated May 2019
    Catlyn ·
    • Flag
    9 out of 10 times they will not wear their dress I’ve been in 4 weddings myself and have yet to wear one dress since then. But my soon to be sister in law has a couple times for formal nights on cruises.
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    Been a bridesmaid 14 times and never reworn a dress. Don’t focus on trying to find something they can wear again because it most likely will not happen. People know they need to buy a dress for a one time thing.
  • Katie
    Dedicated October 2019
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    It depends. If I was a bridesmaid, I'd totally try to find something I would try to wear again. I like wearing dresses so I'll find another occasion to rewear it lol.
  • Maggie
    Super April 2020
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    I’ve been in a few weddings and I did re-wear one of my dresses but the others... i don’t even know where they went. I think I donated one to be a prom dress as there were quite a few sparkles on it. I’m giving my girls their color (burgundy) and letting them pick whatever as long as it’s floor length, that way they have SOME guidelines but don’t feel like they need to be in the same dress
  • C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    I’ve been a bridemaid 3x and have reworn each dress at least once. But, 2 of them have been classic black dresses.
  • SummerBrideInAutumn
    VIP October 2019
    SummerBrideInAutumn ·
    • Flag
    I’ve been a bridesmaid/MOH 8 times and have never reworn any of them. It doesn’t bother me either. I bought them totally intending on only wearing them once, and that’s fine.
  • Amber
    Super September 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    Nope they will be stuck in back of their closet.
  • Jeanie
    Super February 2020
    Jeanie ·
    • Flag
    I’ve never worn any bridesmaid dresses I’ve had again. I doubt you’ll find anything re-wearable at David’s bridal. However, I did wear a bridesmaid dress that was my sisters from my first wedding, which was from jcrew (back when they had a bridal line). Don’t feel bad that they likely won’t wear it again. Your girls probably aren’t going to admit that to you either, and that’s ok too. They are in the wedding to support you, not just for the dress.
  • Rosa
    Savvy October 2020
    Rosa ·
    • Flag
    A few years ago for my brothers wedding my sister in law had us wear a long black dress any style as long that it was black. .... best dress ever! I got to wear it at least 4 times. New Years, black tie event , cruise and Xmas party.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    I think only once did I wear a dress again because the bride just told me & the other gal to “wear a long burgundy dress.” I bought a dress I liked at Macy’s or something. Wore it to work & other weddings.
  • I
    Dedicated December 2019
    isabel1115 ·
    • Flag

I've reworn both my bridesmaids dresses. One was just a normal black cocktail dress and is actually a staple in my closet!

• L
    Dedicated March 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    I reword only one bridesmaid dress and it was actually bought from Anthropologie. If you really want them to have something that is rewear able, go to a department store or nice shop like JCrew Anthropologie. David’s bridal I can guarantee you will not be reworn.
  • C
    Super July 2019
    Crystal ·
    • Flag
    It depends. My fsil was a bridesmaid in her friends wedding last year. She not in mine but asked if she could wear that dress because she loves how gorgeous it is and I do to lol. Its pink and my colors are blue so I totally said yes because its a cute dress.
  • Joanna
    Savvy October 2020
    Joanna ·
    • Flag

Thank you all so much for your insights! I'm definitely taking my ladies to Anthropologie or Penney's or something. But even that doesn't work I'll remember why they're doing all of this Smiley laugh

• Maria
    Super October 2019
    Maria ·
    • Flag

I have only reworn one dress. It was a pink knee-length dress that we got from Macy's so it's a good semi-formal dress to wear to other weddings or church or something.

My girls are getting their dresses from Lulu's. They don't look like standard bridesmaid dresses so I would love if they could re-wear them - wedding guest dress, cruise, etc. but I think they are fine with a one-time wear since they are all under $100.

• Joanna
    Savvy October 2020
    Joanna ·
    • Flag

Thanks, Maria--that sounds great. I'll check out Lulu's!

• Jess
    Super September 2019
    Jess ·
    • Flag

I've only been in one wedding and I have never thought about wearing the dress again! The wedding was almost a year ago and the dress has been in the back of my closet ever since. So when my bridesmaids began looking for dresses I already knew they were never going to wear the dress again so I didn't want them to spend a fortune for one day.

I recommend Azazie for great quality dresses for even better prices!

• L
    Dedicated September 2019
    LJ ·
    • Flag
    I’ve been in eleven weddings, never rewore a single dress. There are two that I would rewear if I had the right occasion- one was an assigned brand/fabric/color but we chose our own style, and the other was our choice of any dress in an earth tone, so I got a stunning burnt orange/topaz jumpsuit. My wedding, like yours, is a choose your own adventure for the bridesmaids. I told them anything ivory, blush, or metallic and so far all of them are going for blush. I got the same reaction though- they all wanted more direction. I thought I was making it easy 🤣
  • Courtney
    Master December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

In 2 of the 3 weddings I've been a bridesmaid I did re wear my dress. One was a black strapless dress so that worked for a few events. And another was a solid blue dress I wore to another wedding as a guest (I just made sure that wasn't the wedding colors first).

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

Literally never. In my opinion at least! I've been a bridesmaid twice, both dresses were donated.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics