Maggie
Champion October 2025

Who is your wedding officiant? Friend, family, or pro?

Maggie, on February 6, 2019 at 11:05 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 36
Saved Save

Who are you asking to officiate your ceremony? Did you ask a friend or family member with officiating experience to take on this important role? Are you asking your current pastor or rabbi? Or are you hiring a professional officiant to take the reins on your wedding day?

Who is your wedding officiant?

Who is your wedding officiant? Friend, family, or pro? 1

Photo from Wedding Officiant Indianapolis in Indiana

Tell us about how else you’ll set the ceremony tone in these community conversations: What’s your ceremony exit song?, Your vows: are you slipping in a joke or keeping it strictly sentimental?, and Will you have ceremony programs or are you skipping them?

36 Comments

• Victoria
    VIP October 2018
    Victoria ·
    • Flag
    We asked my Godfather! My husband and I had a lot of fun writing out our ceremony script then we sent it to my Godfather for his input. Once we had a final version we sent it off to be printed and bound in a hardcover book and got a copy for him and a copy for us as a keepsake.
  • Kenzie Wulk
    Dedicated September 2019
    Kenzie Wulk ·
    • Flag
    I asked my Uncle to be our officiant. He is a lawyer so he is good with talking to people and we have always been close, so it’s nice to have someone who really knows us and understands who we are. He also has a great voice and you just stop and listen whenever he talks.
    My brother wanted to be our officiant, most because he wanted to become an Ordained Minister 😂 my FH asked him to be a groomsman, so in the end he is still happy he beats to wear a suit smh lol
  • Melissa
    VIP October 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

Since neither of us belong to a church (I'm straight up Catholic but very very very out of "practice," he is...Lutheran? He thinks? He didn't really grow up practicing any sort of religion) we ended up having his family friend perform our ceremony. Lucky for us, he was able to practice in any state, so it was a super easy "oh heck yes!" for us when he offered.

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

We wanted a Jewish ceremony. However, at the time, our area didn't have same-sex marriage, so we couldn't have our home rabbi do it. So we got a couple of referrals for rabbis in the area where we were getting married, and started making calls. None of them would do an interfaith marriage. However, one of them was able to refer us to a rabbi who would. We checked out his information online, and talked to him on the phone, and decided we wanted him to be our officiant.

• Mikalyn
    Dedicated October 2019
    Mikalyn ·
    • Flag
    We are having my great aunt do the ceremony, she does this for lots of people and I would rather have a family memeber do it since we aren’t having a church wedding rather than a stranger!
  • Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Haha, your brother has a funny sense of humor! I'm glad your uncle agreed to officiate!! Was he already ordained or did/does he need to before the wedding?

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's a good reason to have a family member officiate, Mikalyn! I think it also adds a special touch to the ceremony as a whole. Smiley smile

• Kenzie Wulk
    Dedicated September 2019
    Kenzie Wulk ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    He has to get ordained. He was so close to getting voted into being a Judge so he wouldn’t have to be ordained. We just told him to pick a website with the best name when the time comes! 😂
  • Angerra
    VIP August 2019
    Angerra ·
    • Flag
    My FFIL. He was the officiant for my fiance's oldest brother and now he'll be able to marry his middle son Smiley shame
  • Abby
    VIP March 2019
    Abby ·
    • Flag
    We're having our pastor officiate for us! I've gone to the church for several years now and know him and his wife really well so I couldn't imagine having anyone else do it!
  • Lex
    VIP September 2019
    Lex ·
    • Flag
    We’re hiring a professional. We were going to have his grandfather do it, but we’re unsure if he’ll be able to make it.
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    My brother will be marrying us. One day he was complaining (jokingly) about not being in my sisters wedding or our upcoming one. (Even though he did a reading at my sisters). My fh and I had already talked about asking him, so we interrupted his little rant and said "well do you want to marry us?" He was pretty shocked, but excited to have such a big role. Hes perfect for
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    Dang posted on accident. Lol

Meant to say: hes perfect for it and a great public speaker.
  • Swtnss238
    VIP May 2019
    Swtnss238 ·
    • Flag
    We went with professional. The ceremony he has written for us is amazing!! We were able to add our culture and faith.
  • OnCloudRawls
    VIP June 2019
    OnCloudRawls ·
    • Flag
    My childhood pastor is going to officiate our wedding.

• Tara
    Master May 2020
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    I plan to hire a professional for my wedding.
  • Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's going to be so cool, OnCloudRawls!! Are you getting married in your childhood church or a different place?

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Lol, it happens to the best of us, Brae. Smiley smile But that's so great to hear!! Has he gotten ordained yet?

• OnCloudRawls
    VIP June 2019
    OnCloudRawls ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

In a different place! He was more than excited to be a part of my wedding day since he watched me grow up.

• Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lol. Yes! He did it that same day that we asked him.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics