P
Savvy April 2020

Which store should i get my dress from?

Panwin, on January 10, 2019 at 2:07 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 10
Saved Save
So I went dress shopping a few months ago and found the dress I want, but I didn’t purchase it yet because I told the shop I wanted to wait a few months to order it so I could try and lose some weight.

A few weeks later the shop called me and said they’re no longer going to carry the designer of the dress I want, but that if I came back in Janurary I could still order the dress. So I made an appointment to go and order the dress for the end of this month.

The employees of the shop are incredibly nice and I had an amazing experience there, and we’ve been in semi regular contact about the dress for the past few months.

However, I recently saw online that the designer of the dress is having a trunk show at a different shop in my area and the dress will be there. The trunk show is offering 10% off, one free customization, and the option to swap skirts. I’m not really interested in swapping the skirt, but I am definitely interested in the free customization. The 10% off amounts to a $500 discount, so not a huge discount but better than nothing.

So my question is, should I just get the dress from the original store? Or should I go to the trunk show at the other store and get it there? I guess what I’m really asking is what would you do if it were you?

(I just hesitate because I hate the thought of stringing the original shop along)

P.S. Sorry for the long post!

10 Comments

• Tori
    Devoted March 2019
    Tori ·
    Go with the better deal!!! Especially if you're on a budget. $500 extra dollars you would've spent on the dress can go towards something else for the wedding.
  • Devoted November 2019
    ·
    You could always ask if the other store will honor the deal. It doesn’t hurt to ask.
  • Cara
    Expert July 2019
    Cara ·
    Go with the better deal. I worked at a bridal shop for 7 years and it’s totally understandable that brides try to save money. If you really love the first shop you can tell them you got a better price on it somewhere else and some stores will match the better price.
  • Future Mrs. Robinson1120
    Devoted November 2020
    Future Mrs. Robinson1120 ·

I say go with the better deal, maybe the dress shop will honor the deal

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·

Go with the better deal. It's great that the original bridal shop has such good customer service and has kept in contact with you, but they definitely aren't going to take it personally if you decide to shop somewhere that's saving you hundreds of dollars.

• Emily
    Savvy April 2020
    Emily ·

It's definitely a risk to go with the better deal because what if the dress gets snatched up before you have a chance to see it? Maybe they brought more than one of the dress, but is that a common thing for designers to do at a trunk show? I think the discount and extra offers that come with the trunk show are favorable, but that's only if you get to the dress first.

I would say to go with your gut. There's definitely a chance you could get the dress at the trunk show, but be prepared to keep looking if it's no longer available when you get there.

• Y
    Savvy March 2020
    Yachita ·
    I don’t no how trunk shows work. But would they have the size you need available that day? Do you have to pay in full for the dress the day of the trunk show?
  • Megan
    VIP January 2019
    Megan ·

I would reach out to your original shop and just say thank you for following up, but I am going to this trunk show because of the 10% off deal. I would love to support your business as you've been so helpful, but I just can't turn down a $500 savings.

They may honor the deal.

• Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    This is business, not personal. Save your money. They’ll understand. The best thing you could do for them if you don’t buy your dress there, is : review the shop! Go on sites like yelp and here on wedding wire and detail your positive experience— then you help both future brides and the shop!
  • P
    Savvy April 2020
    Panwin ·
    Thanks guys!! I’m feeling a little better about it now

Comment on this discussion