Nicolette
Expert August 2016

Where are my plus size brides?

Nicolette, on July 21, 2015 at 7:49 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 104
Saved Save

My FMIL has been asking if I'm going to go dress shopping soon and I said yes but I am scared. I am very much a plus size bride, I am a street size 24-28 depending on what it is and who makes it. I'm extremely nervous to try on wedding dresses. All my weight is in my hips, thighs and butts and I have DD breasts. I wanted a fit and flare but i am so nervous. Can I see some of you curvy and plus size brides looking fabulous in your gowns?

104 Comments

• FutureMrsCrane
    Master October 2015
    FutureMrsCrane ·
    • Flag

I know quite a few curvy brides that looked great in their fit and flare dresses! You'll never know until you try it on. Smiley smile for me personally, my gown is double the size I normally am. I had a total internal meltdown over it, but it's all good now. I feel like bridal sizes are different than normal street sizes (some people agree, while others say that's not true). Good luck when you go dress shopping! Can't wait to see the dress you pick

Edited: I can't type.

• Susan
    Master March 2015
    Susan ·
    • Flag

My dress is from Mary's bridal 5703 if I remember. It is a A-line dress and was strapless but came with the bolero I wore the entire day. I also am a bigger woman and the fit and flare is not my thing. I did love my dress and it was VERY reasonable. My computer and internet is being stupid and won't let me load a picture. Check my profile for pictures of it.

• MzRosaLu
    Master July 2016
    MzRosaLu ·
    • Flag

Definitely try on a couple of silhouettes and see what you feel most beautiful in. My friend just got married in a size 20 fit and flare gown, and she looked freaking drop dead gorgeous. I could only dream of filling out a dress with curves like that. You will find something you feel confident in :-) I just ordered my own fit and flare dress in a bridal size 18.

• Shayna
    Super June 2016
    Shayna ·
    • Flag

I am a size 16-18 street size and ordered my Maggie Sottero dress in a size 18. It is a slim a-line.

• Cat On a Hot Tin Roof
    VIP May 2016
    Cat On a Hot Tin Roof ·
    • Flag

Wish I could, I am still waiting for mine to come in (any day now, I hope!). I went to a plus-size bridal salon that was about a 2 hour drive away from home because it was the closest store that had the Roz la Kelin dress I fell in love with online. According to the sizing scale, I was size 18 in the bust, size 22 in the waist and size 32 in the hips, so size 32 had to be ordered and everything else will have to be altered down. Just last weekend my MOH and I went to another salon that was having a sale to look for FG dresses and I asked to see the plus size gowns. As we were walking to the rack, I told my consultant that I got my dress at a store 2 hours away. She actually asked me why did I go so far away, as she took me to the one (yes ONE) dress that they had in size 26. So I grabbed the fugly taffeta and pearl nightmare and said "This is why."

• StitchingBride
    Master October 2014
    StitchingBride ·
    • Flag

I'm your size- (except for the bust, I used to be a big DDD but got reduced. )in the pictures I'm bloated because I have a problem with that, but here's the dress I wore- it's more like a ball gown, but at one point my husband was hoping I'd wear a fit and flare because he loves my hips.

but in the end, the ball gown look was what I wanted Smiley smile

edit for add on

• StitchingBride
    Master October 2014
    StitchingBride ·
    • Flag

Sharon & Brad: your experience is exactly why I sew all my clothes anymore! got so tired of things that never fit right, and when they did they were ugly Smiley tongue

btw- do you have any links or pictures of the dress you ordered? ?Smiley smile

• Cat On a Hot Tin Roof
    VIP May 2016
    Cat On a Hot Tin Roof ·
    • Flag

I found a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yODln_gg9fQ

ETA picture of the dress on someone else

• ChildressAtLast
    VIP June 2016
    ChildressAtLast ·
    • Flag

When I went dress shopping my mom set up the appointment and had called to make sure the shop had dresses in my size. It really helped. I'm a street size 22 my dress is a 26.

• S
    Dedicated September 2015
    Sunnythesaint ·
    • Flag

Bonny Bridal. Street size 22. Dress size 28. I wear a DD.

• WolfWedding2016
    Master May 2016
    WolfWedding2016 ·
    • Flag

I got an Oleg Cassini tea length dress at David's and I adore it. I am currently a 22, and this is a size 22 as well. I bought the second dress I tried on but I loved it; I went expecting to find nothing and found a dress I love!

• ChildressAtLast
    VIP June 2016
    ChildressAtLast ·
    • Flag

Sharon& Brad- we made an appointment two hours away as well. I really like the mori lee julietta dresses and thought this shop had them, but they didnt.

• Happily Married
    Super August 2015
    Happily Married ·
    • Flag

@ sunny your dress is gorgeous!

I am very plus size myself, i didnt actually order a wedding gown though, i was terrified of the experince as well, i just ended buying a lace dress from a regular store

• Cat On a Hot Tin Roof
    VIP May 2016
    Cat On a Hot Tin Roof ·
    • Flag

@Meg, what a disappointment! The owner ordered a sample in size 26 to have it in stock for my appointment, and when it arrived, it was a size 16 instead! So I did see it in person, but I never got to try it on myself, but seriously, nothing I have seen comes even close to how much I love this dress.

• Ekab
    VIP November 2017
    Ekab ·
    • Flag

@mary- that is legit the dress I've been staring at! How comfortable is it?

• *Rachel*
    Expert November 2015
    *Rachel* ·
    • Flag

I found my dress at DB. I normally wear 20-22...my dress is a 20 and fits perfectly. I will only need to get the bustle done.

When I was looking initially I thought I would look and feel better in a dress with a fuller skirt, but after getting a dress like that and regretting it, I went back and found the dress I now have. It is more fitted and I feel beautiful in it.

Good luck to you in your dress search Smiley smile

• WolfWedding2016
    Master May 2016
    WolfWedding2016 ·
    • Flag

@ekab I've only worn it for like three fifteen minute stints, but it is great!

• Nicolette
    Expert August 2016
    Nicolette ·
    • Flag

OMG you all look beyond gorgeous.

@sharon I love that dress. I was looking at this roz la kelin but it's 3k so sad.

• Nicolette
    Expert August 2016
    Nicolette ·
    • Flag

This one. (Don't know if it will post)

• Ambearry
    Savvy September 2016
    Ambearry ·
    • Flag

@Mary and @ekab I tried on this dress a few months ago!! It's so flattering, I loved it but decided it didn't fit in with our venue.

Bring plus sized I was terrified of trying on dresses: not having anything I could try on, nothing flattering, and just generally feeling uncomfortable being half naked and squeezed into dresses by a stranger. But I have to say it was a great experience, my consultant was amazing and made me feel beautiful.

Also you all look amazing in your dresses!

Comment on this discussion