B
Dedicated August 2019

When to start looking for a place to live

Bloop, on January 21, 2019 at 10:02 AM Posted in Planning 0 9
Saved Save
When should my future hubby and I start looking for a place to live? We get married end of August.

9 Comments

• Kristen
    VIP April 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    If you want to be able to move in right away or begin moving stuff in before the wedding or your house is ready, you probably want to close on a house late July-mid August. You also may need to close by early August in the event that work or repairs are needed. At least where I live, that tends to be a major moving time for families with school aged children and there’s a more competitive market. I would say start working with a realtor looking within the next couple months because you’ll probably have some places you don’t like, some unaccepted offers, etc
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

Whenever you want? Are you trying to wait until after the wedding to get married?

I think it really depends on your area and what you're looking for. Are you looking to rent or buy? Do you want an apartment or a house? If you'll be renting an apartment in a complex, your timeline is more flexible because they have constant openings. You could start looking now and probably sign a lease in July or August.

If you want to rent or buy a house, you'll need to wait until closer to the time you'd like to move since the houses available now won't likely be available in the summer.

• Brittany
    Master April 2019
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

This is all personal, really. Are you looking to rent or buy? Renting, you could wait until closer to August, because most apartments and things like that won't know availability until closer to when you plan to move. Buying, I'd definitely start the process now (getting pre-qualified for a mortgage and those sorts of things).

We are just starting to look for a home to buy (have been renting together for 2+ years now), and our wedding is in April, but we are fully prepared for the process to go past our wedding.

• JustKidding
    VIP April 2018
    JustKidding ·
    • Flag

Whenever you want? Do you live together now? Do you not want to live together until you are married? Are you able to pay two rents if things do not line up perfectly? Can you move into one of the places you have now and then get a place together?

There are a lot of moving parts here.

I would never marry someone I didn't live with. My husband and I bought a house before we got married. So.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

Like the pp said it really depends on several things. If you will be renting you can start looking now and set your move in date for August 1st so you can start moving things in. You can also take a few months to find the perfect place. When you are picking out an apartment get an idea of the neighborhood like drive around there at different times of the day. You'll find out quickly by going by in the later evening if the area is more of a loud college kids type of area or a more toned down area. The apartment we moved into when we moved 2 hours away turned out to be full of college students who would party all night and we could smell the weed coming out of the windows.

If you are looking to buy you'll basically want to do the same thing. Get a feel for the neighborhood. The housing market where I am is so sparse we actually stopped looking last year and haven't found a single house with 3 bedrooms that isn't being listed for $50k over what it would have been 5 years ago. So we are staying put in the condo I bought and hoping it cools down in a couple years. We put a bid on a house that went on the market that morning and it instantly went into a bidding war. So you could very well depending on where you are be looking at taking months to even find and get an offer accepted on a house.

• C
    Dedicated August 2019
    Camille ·
    • Flag
    It’s really hard to say without more details. Do you have a current lease, does he? How far are you moving? Are you going to rent or buy, how is your credit? There’s an endless amount of variables...
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

It depends if you are renting or buying. When we rented, we usually started looking 4+ months ahead of needing the space so we could look at plenty of options. When we bought, it was a smaller period of time because we were already approved.

• B
    Dedicated August 2019
    Bloop ·
    • Flag
    We will be renting an apartment or townhouse for the first year or two and the. When we are more financially stable we will look at buying. Do you think 60-90 days is good to start looking? Let’s say for example we find a great place, do you think they’ll allow us to move in 60 days after signing? Or is it quicker in the sense that they need someone in there sooner than 60 days they’ll deny us?
  • B
    Dedicated August 2019
    Bloop ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We want to move in together after we get married, because our pre-marital
    counselor through our church highly recommends this, so that’s what we are doing. We live with our parents currently. We won’t be living too far from where we currently are. My main question is - We will be renting an apartment or townhouse for the first year or two and then When we are more financially stable we will look at buying. Do you think 60-90 days is good to start looking at places to rent? Let’s say for example we find a great place, do you think they’ll allow us to move in 60 days after signing a lease? Or is it quicker in the sense that they need someone in there sooner than 60 days they’ll deny us?

Comment on this discussion