Danielle
Beginner November 2019

When should i try on wedding dresses

Danielle, on February 13, 2019 at 2:35 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 14
Saved Save
Did anybody just go by their self just to see what fits? I’m a little anxious and i want to go try on dresses. Should i wait for my bridesmaids?

14 Comments

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I went with just my mom! It was easier (I thought) with one person.

• Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·
    • Flag

I took my mom, sister and two bridesmaids the first round of trying on dresses. The second time I went was just my mom and sister (sister just happened to be in town when I was going). I had one of my bridesmaids take pictures of me in each dress so I could see myself from another point of view rather than just in the mirrors. It's usually recommended not more than 3-4 people, but I've seen some people who take 10 (which is a lot of opinions).

• Kourtni
    Beginner June 2020
    Kourtni ·
    • Flag
    I was very excited. And after the engagement that was the very first thing I did was get a dress. My first appointment was just with my mom. But I wanted my dad there. So on my second appointment I brought both my parents and my oldest daughter.
  • Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

I set up 3 dress appointments for 3 different bridal salons on 3 different dates. I had planned to go with both mom's and all of my bridesmaids on the 2nd and 3rd appointments, but me and my mom wanted to go on the first appointment just to get a better idea of what is out there and what style looks good on me. Well, I tried on 5 dresses at that appointment and my dress ended up being the 5th one I tried on. I cancelled the other two appointments and bought my dress. There isn't anything wrong with going alone, if that is what you want and/or are comfortable with. I'd just be prepared to unexpectedly find the one (it can happen, I know, lol). Although, if you do find the one during your first appointment, and would like to get 2nd opinions, you can always make another appointment to take your bridesmaids back there to show them before buying it.

• Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    I went just with my mom and aunt first but never really ended up with the whole big entourage. At first it was just to see how it fit and plan to return with everyone but then I realize it wasn’t for me to just have everyone there with different opinions and so on. It was also hard to coordinate everyone’s schedule so I gave up. I’m glad I did because I’m having a small wedding and I like the fact no one else saw me in a dress. I plan on doing a first look with my bridesmaids!
  • Danielle
    Beginner November 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    We sound like we relate i feel the same exact way.. I’m thinking it’ll just be my mom and i..
  • Miryam
    Dedicated September 2019
    Miryam ·
    • Flag

I took mom and my FMIL. She doesnt have any girls and she doesnt get many moments like this. I wanted to make it special for her, so I asked her to come with.

• Tina
    March 2020
    Tina ·
    • Flag
    I went by myself and I was happy. I knew what I wanted and what I liked and I love that my dress is a total secret from everyone. That said, if my mom was still alive I definitely would have had her there!
  • Brittany
    Super October 2019
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

I'm going this weekend! I'm taking just my mother on Sunday to look at different styles and to see what's out there. Monday, I also have an appt but I was thinking of going to this one by myself or with my MOH. I didn't want to bring my mom twice in a row lol. We will see what happens!

• J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    I went by myself until I narrowed it down to 3 dresses at one place, one of which I favored over others. I never shop for any clothes with more than one person, unless each of us is buying something. Too many opinions from people with different ideas of what is attractive makes shopping with a bunch of people unproductive. Every bride should try on different styles of dresses, and ones of different formality. Things you like on models may look hideous with your body proportions, and you may find the most becoming things are styles you never looked at or compared for prices.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Yup! I took a day off work, went to two bridal shops & treated myself to lunch in between appointments. I wanted to find my voice first. Plus, I liked the quieter energy—just me & my consultant figuring out what I liked. ❤️
  • Tina
    March 2020
    Tina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Same way! Did it on a monday afternoon and I liked the simplicity of no one else being there for me.

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree it felt easier for a first-time bridal trip! I'm happy I made it a "me" day (no work, no stress, and a yummy lunch).

• Kristal
    Dedicated July 2019
    Kristal ·
    • Flag
    I was spur of the moment. My mom came down and my bridesmaid that was free came along (with her baby! 😊) it was great! Her baby actually helped pick my dress 😂

Comment on this discussion