L
Beginner June 2019

When should i go dress shopping?

Lea, on May 16, 2018 at 12:03 PM Posted in Planning 0 14
Saved Save

Hello brides! So I am getting mixed advice from people on when to go dress shopping. Our wedding date is June 8, 2019--I was going to go shopping in November but my sister told me that might be too late. What do you guys think?

14 Comments

• J
    Devoted June 2018
    Janie ·

My wedding is in June (this year) and I started shopping in October. I would call around to the stores you plan on visiting. I think starting in the fall is fine. One thing to keep in mind is getting scheduled with your alterations person, because that will fill up very quickly.

• J
    Super June 2019
    JuneBride ·

I was told 8-12 months before your wedding.

• Ana
    Dedicated June 2019
    Ana ·
    Date twin! I am also getting married June 8, 2019 and while I have not found my dress, I have visited a couple of bridal boutiques and actually plan on going back to a specific one next month (June) and hopefully with my family at my side I can finally say yes! A lot of people say it’s important to shop at least a year in advance, simply because your dress will have to be ordered and that alone will take anywhere from 6 to 8 months and then if alterations are needed that can take anywhere from a month or 2. If your anything like me, then it may take you a while to find your dream dress and you definitely want to give yourself some time to start looking.

Good luck!
  • A
    Expert September 2019
    Anna ·
    I was told to start looking at 12 months and order your dress 8 months out at the latest. It may take several months for it to come in so you want to give yourself time for alterations
  • S
    Just Said Yes June 2019
    Sara ·
    I’m getting married June 29th and I already have mine 🤷🏻‍♀️ It just depends when all the people you want to be there can go and all that good stuff
  • Jen
    VIP July 2018
    Jen ·

I went shopping in January of this year and my wedding is the end of July of this year (so 7 months lead time). I got engaged in December so I really couldn't go sooner. I did find a dress I loved but there were some that the shop didn't show me because they would take too long to come in (it can take 6 months for some dresses to come in - though some are much less too). It can also take 4-8 weeks for alterations. I would probably start 10 months to a year ahead of time to ensure that any dress you love has adequate time to be made/altered.

• magnolia5
    VIP June 2019
    magnolia5 ·
    That may be pushing it very close depending on where you get your dress from. I'm getting married June 15th, 2019 and I ordered my dress the last weekend of March. It can take 5 to 6 months to come in.
  • FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·

My wedding is January 2019 and I bought my dress July 2017. I don't think its too early, as long as you stop shopping once you buy one, you know your body weight won't fluctuate, etc.

I was excited to go and found my dress the second time I tried them on. It's been sitting in my closet in our spare room, but I love having it to look at and try on occasionally. I knew I wouldn't change my mind and my body wouldn't really change so that's why I bought it so early.

• S
    Dedicated May 2018
    Sharay ·
    I went dress shopping 10 months ago. It is rare that I gain or lose weight, but I ended up buying a dress I liked and took it for alterations about a month before the wedding. It’s all up to you when I went dress shopping my intentions were just to look but if you find something you love then go for it.
  • B
    Super July 2018
    Brittany ·

10 months away from the wedding is perfect! It's close enough so that you are a little less likely to change your mind, but far enough that you have a big selection of dresses that will come in on time.

I went 9 and a half months before the wedding and my dress took 7 months to come in so it's left me with just enough time for alterations

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    It depends on where you’ll be buying your dress from. I’ve heard David’s Bridal dresses come in very quickly. If you’re going to a traditional bridal boutique and won’t be buying a sample off the rack you need to give yourself at least 9 or 10 months. I ordered a Martina Liana dress in December and it’s supposed to get in in July. There are certain designers and styles that can rush ship but to give yourself the most options I would go soon.
  • SB
    VIP March 2019
    SB ·

I would go as soon as possible. Mine is March 2019 and I got my dress back in February. The dress I ordered won't be here until July which is a pretty short turnaround, but some dresses can take up to 8-9 months to come in. Give yourself plenty of time for fittings, alterations, accidents, etc. Always better to be too early than on time or late!

• A
    Expert June 2019
    Afterallthistime...Always ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Also getting married June 8, 2019. Guess that makes us date triplets!!

OP I just got my dress this week because family was in town and it’s rare we all see each other. So it’s not too early! I also bought off the rack, so I didn’t have to wait for it to come in or anything. Guess I could’ve waited a while, but they might not have had my dream dress later on.

I followed some local bridal shops on Instagram and Pinterest to see what they had in stock. You could start doing this so you’ll know if there’s a dress you love available already!
  • Kayla
    Expert January 2019
    Kayla ·
    I am getting married January 26, 2019, I found/ordered my dress in February of this year and just got it in this week and after alterations the dress will be done in December! That's at David's....not sure if that was useful it just sometimes helps to see time frames!

Comment on this discussion