Renda
Dedicated April 2013

WHAT'S YOUR WEDDING CAKE LOOK LIKE? **MUST READ***SAVE YOU HUNDREDS OR THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!

Renda, on July 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM Posted in Planning 0 53
Saved Save

I want to see photos of your cake or a photo of what you like!!! Here's a photo of what I am having made for me! Except it'll be 4 tiered in white with a plum ribbon =D You'll never guess how much our cake cost us!! DIRT CHEAP just by being smarter Smiley winking Simply ask your baker to only have the top tier of your cake (where you'll be cutting) real cake and the other tier's "fake" the only thing fake is the actual cake part! The buttercream and fondant (whatever you choose) will all be real. Have your baker make you sheet cakes to serve your guests! My cake will serve 400-500 guests & it'll only cost us $800. This is compared to thousands of dollars just to have this cake made without the FOAM inside on the bottom 3 tiers. Your guest will never even know they were served from a sheet cake that was in the kitchen!!! =) Hope I made sense? lol

53 Comments

• Lindsay™
    Super January 2014
    Lindsay™ ·
    • Flag

I've heard of a lot of brides doing this lately. I think it's a great option. Smiley smile

• krisalicious
    Master April 2012
    krisalicious ·
    • Flag

That's very pretty. And holy cow are you having 400-500 guests at your wedding? I was overwhelmed with 135!

Here's our cake! We asked about the styrofoam/sheet cake thing and with our bakery it was actually MORE expensive b/c they have a minimum 100 servings per cake. It probably depends on your bakery and the amount of guests you're serving.

I loved our cake. Alternating red velvet/cream cheese and yellow/fresh strawberries, with a small chocolate/ganache gluten free tier just for me. Smiley smile I get hungry when I look at pictures of it. Nom.

• Toni-Marie
    VIP October 2012
    Toni-Marie ·
    • Flag

Hmmmmm this may actually work!!! GREAT POST!!!! But don’t you cut the cake from the bottom tier and save the top tier to take home for the year later stuff??

• Honey B.
    Master May 2012
    Honey B. ·
    • Flag

This was our wedding cake- alternating tiers of old fashioned chocolate cake and vanilla pound cake with vanilla butter cream plus we had two extra 10 inch rounds. It only cost us $495 with delivery && we had 197 guests- some guest even took a piece of cake home with them since we got cake savers.

• Courtney
    VIP November 2012
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

We looked into that but it would have cost us more--so just went with the real deal! Smiley smile

• Carrie
    Master December 2011
    Carrie ·
    • Flag

Far as this saving money probably depends on your baker. They still have to decorate the outside of the foam layers and they are still making cake just in sheet form so labor wise and even material wise it wouldn't save but so much.

Now if your main cake is a little smaller it would make a difference. For example if you had a real cake and needed 4 layers to serve all your guests verses a fake cake you could just have 3 layers made.

• Renda
    Dedicated April 2013
    Renda ·
    • Flag

@Kristal --- LOL my fiance has a BIG family!!!! the list goes on and on and on!!! Your cake was BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Now I AM HUNGRY! lol it looks too pretty to eat!

@ Toni--- it will work! Just as your bakery! if you are in the Houston area I can give you my bakery number! Her full sheet is only $120 and it'll serve 120 guests!!! Thats $1/slice! YOU SERIOUSLY can't beat that! I've seen all her work, her cakes are amazing! and tastes DELICIOUS!

For the cake I wanted i priced around and I was quoted $5000- even $10,000!!! INSANE!!! With me doing the styrofoam cake option and sheet cakes. Everything came out to less than $800.

• Courtney
    VIP November 2012
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

Toni-marie--Our baker told us we cut the bottom. Great tip from them: A vanilla (or lightly colored cake is best for the tier you cut when you feed it to each other...its cleaner. LOL. Our baker will give us a cake for our one year anniversary! Smiley smile

• Renda
    Dedicated April 2013
    Renda ·
    • Flag

@Angelina - Maybe in your case. BUT for me it saved me thousands of dollars. It all depends on your bakery!

• Renda
    Dedicated April 2013
    Renda ·
    • Flag

@Tony -- Your cake looks great! We are actually cutting from the top tier. I'm not taking home anything. =)

• heavenlyyoyo
    VIP August 2012
    heavenlyyoyo ·
    • Flag

This is my cake inspiration! Mine will be white with blue trim, blue and rhinestone ribbon. My tiers will be separate as well, not stacked.

• Toni-Marie
    VIP October 2012
    Toni-Marie ·
    • Flag

@ Renda- I am in Los Angeles but I will still ask my baker!!

@ Courtney- GREAT Idea uill make sure i revise the bottom cake to a light color!!!

Thanks Ladies

• krisalicious
    Master April 2012
    krisalicious ·
    • Flag

We didn't take anything home either. We cut into our little gluten-free tier and they did save us the top tier, but our wedding was OOT so there's no way we were going to stash it in the ILs freezer and then take it on an 8 hour drive home.

We bumped into my family in the hotel lobby the AM after the wedding and decided to meet up with them for dinner. We just took the top tier of our cake to dinner and treated everyone to another slice of cake. That was a big hit. Smiley smile

• C
    Dedicated July 2012
    Celia ·
    • Flag

We did something like that. I wanted a big cake, but it was too expensive and we would have too much cake leftover, so the bottom (largest) layer was fake. No one noticed... not even the waiters. The head waiter came and told me that they had spent like 10 min trying to cut the bottom layer until they figured out it was fake. LOL!

• Mrs. Christie H~
    Super August 2012
    Mrs. Christie H~ ·
    • Flag

This is ours! We're adding a 5th layer however. We are not taking the top tier home. Our baker makes a brand new one for you on your first anniversary! Our cake is lemon poppy seed with raspberry filling. We are spending $1250 on our cake.

• Renda
    Dedicated April 2013
    Renda ·
    • Flag

@Celia - That is too funny!!!!!! LOL!

• Renda
    Dedicated April 2013
    Renda ·
    • Flag

@Christie YOUR CAKE IS BEAUTIFUL! will someone please tell me whats with the one year anniversary thing w/your top tier? I don't know what everyones talking about =X

• Nancy Taussig
    January 2020
    Nancy Taussig ·
    • Flag

Tradition is to freeze your top tier to eat on your first anniversary. Usually, it is lousy by then (mine was). Guess that's why bakers have started offering a small anniversary cake.

• Mrs. Christie H~
    Super August 2012
    Mrs. Christie H~ ·
    • Flag

@Renda- Thank you! I love the white on white Smiley smile Depending on your baker and how many people you have at your wedding, sometimes its the best decision to cut the entire cake instead of taking the top tier and freezing it to eat on your first anniversary. If you express your desire to have a new cake topper to your baker, in your flavors and decorations, sometimes they will throw it into the cost of your cake. Its a nice way to remind their customers just how delicious their cake was on their wedding day, and with that reminder, most brides will suggest to others getting married to use that baker, since they did something so nice, and their cake was delicious!

• Takara Nicole
    Expert November 2012
    Takara Nicole ·
    • Flag

We are having a "fake" cake also. It saved us about 400 dollars.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics