Evelyn
Savvy September 2019

What’s your opinion about this ?

Evelyn, on April 15, 2019 at 4:25 AM Posted in Hair and Makeup 0 26
Saved Save
Is around $500 a lot for your bridal hair + makeup ?
What do you think ? The make up artist I’m looking she charges that amount and her makeup work is nice but hair is okay .

She charges additional for Wavy Hollywood glam hair style . What do you think ?

26 Comments

• Realynn
    Expert September 2019
    Realynn ·
    • Flag
    Seems like a lot. I’m in SF Bay Area which is an expensive area in general and I’ve seen $300 average from bridal hair and makeup (maybe add on $50+ for Hollywood waves)
  • Becca
    Expert July 2019
    Becca ·
    • Flag

I am paying about that much but her services are amazing and came highly recommended. I'll be in Portland so things in the city can be more expensive. If her hair is just okay, you may want to consider someone else. The last thing you want is to save money but have your hair be just okay.

• Katie
    VIP November 2019
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    Is that $500 for the whole bridal party ? That’s the amount I paid for my whole bridal party to have makeup services done
  • Tara
    Master May 2020
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    If it’s just for one customer then yes, that’s wayyy too much.
  • Btbride
    Super August 2019
    Btbride ·
    • Flag
    I’m paying less than that for myself, three other bridesmaids, and a travel fee. So I do think that’s a crazy amount for just the bride, especially if you aren’t 100% thrilled with their work.
  • Nona
    Devoted November 2019
    Nona ·
    • Flag
    I’m getting married in Savannah GA and I’m paying $230 just for me. My BM’s are $150. Those are for both hair and makeup. Plus I’ll have to pay $20 travel fee plus if there’s any parking fee the day of and that’s cash to be paid out.
  • Dita
    Expert August 2019
    Dita ·
    • Flag
    I’m paying $400 for my hair & makeup alone, which I found to be pretty area my hair. But they did such an amazing job with my trial that I figured it’d be worth the splurge for my wedding (as much as it does hurt to say lol) but I do want to look and feel my absolute best
  • Hannah
    VIP July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    I'm in the NJ/NYC area, and the average here is around $300. I'm paying $200. $500 is a lot, especially if one of the 2 services is "just ok."
  • Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

Seems like a lot to me, but that also depends on the area you live. I don't know what my hair will cost yet, but I don't see it being more than $60 tops. My makeup is costing $140 (including trial).

• Ansley
    Dedicated February 2020
    Ansley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Who are you using? I'm getting married in Savannah and currently looking for HMU artists.

To OP - it sounds like a lot to me! I'm budgeting $1,000 for my whole party (myself and 5 girls).

• Nona
    Devoted November 2019
    Nona ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I am using Royal Makeup and Hair. My first choice was Shea Artistry but she was booked for my date already. But she recommended me to Royal Makeup and Hair as she works for them as well.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    I think I paid $350 for hair & makeup just for me. I thought that was pricey. Unless you live in an expensive city (SF, NY), $500 seems excessive.
  • Brittany
    Master April 2019
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

It really depends on your area. Are her costs competitive to other hair and makeup artists in your region?

My advice would be to look for someone else, not only because of the price, but because you aren't fully impressed with their hair services.

• Cristy
    Rockstar May 2020
    Cristy ·
    • Flag

I'm in the SF Bay Area, and I'm paying $500 (just for me), but that includes hair and makeup, trial and wedding day, plus travel fee (for both trial and wedding). So, when it all breaks down, it isn't that bad. And to be honest, she was one of the least expensive I researched in the SF area. There are some HMUA in my area charging twice that! It breaks down like this:

$80--makeup trial

$80--hair trial

$150--wedding makeup

$150--wedding hair

$40--travel fee

They will also do my bridesmaids for $80 each service/person, if they want. I was shocked when I first started researching these services. I had no idea it would be so much. But here's the thing that makes it all worth it. I suck at doing my own hair and makeup, and I would really love to just sit back and be pampered on my wedding day. The last thing I want on my wedding day is to get all stressed out because my hair isn't doing what I want (which is what happens most of the time when I do my own hair).

Since my wedding is still a year out, I'll have plenty of time to pay for this service before the wedding. We've scheduled my trial for July.

• Andrea
    Expert May 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    If her work is only “okay” I wouldn’t go with her no matter what the price. You deserve to look perfect not just okay, I’d check out other options. $500 is high for one person, but a lot of that is going to be dependent on where you are, and then how elaborate your hair will be.
  • Kaylie
    Savvy October 2020
    Kaylie ·
    • Flag

If that is just for yourself & not the rest of your bridal party then you are paying too much for just "okay" work. I would shop around a bit more!

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

Does this include a trial? If so, then it seems reasonable. I'm in Northern California and paid $250 for hair and makeup, another $250 for my trial, and $100 for each service for anyone else.

• Will & Tiara
    Super September 2019
    Will & Tiara ·
    • Flag

That's average for NYC for both services. Don't understand why the extra charge on the hair. You should get other quotes.

• Khin
    Devoted November 2019
    Khin ·
    • Flag

Does the price include HMU trial? If it does and you live in a HCOL area, I think it’s a good price. I’m paying $675 for myself. She should charge the same for any hairstyle though.

• Wendy
    Dedicated October 2019
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    WHO DID YOU FIND FOR $300 IN THE BAY AREA?! Everyone is quoting me $500!

Comment on this discussion