We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

MissBethany67
Devoted November 2014

What to wear for engagement pics

MissBethany67, on August 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 15
Saved Save

We are getting engagement pics taken on the 31st in a pecan tree orchard.

FH is NO HELP when I ask for his input on what we should wear.

Any suggestions?

15 Comments

• STBMsMullings
    Super July 2015
    STBMsMullings ·
    • Flag

I read somewhere that your engagement pics should be you in your everyday self. Wear a nice sun dress and wedges, minimal makeup and just have fun.

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

We could do up to 3 changes. I wanted our pictures to be more formal so I wore dresses in all of them. I started with my favorite outfit first and that was a mistake. We got more comfortable posing and being in front of the camera as the session went on so my favorite outfit is in the pictures I actually like the least.

I also wish we would have done one more casual outfit (jeans). We couldn't really do any sitting on the ground pics because of my (short) dresses. We would have had more options had I thought this through a little more.

I chose my outfits and then coordinated FH.

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

Also, you can google online for tips

wear heels (to lengthen the leg)

Dress is layers (to add interest)

so on and so forth.

• Out the Window
    Master May 2014
    Out the Window ·
    • Flag

I actually did a make up and hair trial that day to see if I would like them. I was more done up for sure. It was in the evening so FH wore his work attire, suit pants, button down and a tie. I got my dress at TJ Maxx and blinged it up a bit. I was going to use them for my STDs so I wanted to go a little bit prettier than my norm.

• Mrs. Mallory
    Expert February 2014
    Mrs. Mallory ·
    • Flag

I tried to wear complimentary colors - He wore a light blue polo and I wore a darker blue striped top- Wear what your are comfortable in and be yourself. Everyone told me to wear a dress, but I NEVER wear dresses so I opted for capri pants. You want to wear clothes that you feel good in.

• Mrs. Mallory
    Expert February 2014
    Mrs. Mallory ·
    • Flag

Why did I comment so many times?! How do you delete comments?!

• Out the Window
    Master May 2014
    Out the Window ·
    • Flag

You just hide them. WW has been acting a little weird lately.

• Mrs. Mallory
    Expert February 2014
    Mrs. Mallory ·
    • Flag

Thanks, Out the Window! I think I hid them all but one so I should be good now Smiley winking

• The Firefighter's Fiance
    Devoted December 2013
    The Firefighter's Fiance ·
    • Flag

I love high-low dresses for engagment pictures Smiley smile

<<<

• MissBethany67
    Devoted November 2014
    MissBethany67 ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone! I was thinking casual also. Jeans, boots.... and also bring a sundress. We get 2 outfits. Thinking of just letting FH wear a plaid button up and then for the super casual just letting him take that off and have his white undershirt, jeans, and boots....he looks mighty fine like that Smiley smile

• P
    Devoted October 2013
    Private User ·
    • Flag

The only thing I will say is, don't wear light colored/gray jeans....I made that mistake and in some of the pics (that were black & white/sepia) it kinda looked like I didn't have pants on! lol

• P
    Devoted October 2013
    Private User ·
    • Flag

The ones I like the best were the ones where I wore a ivory lace dress a cardigan and my favorite boots.

• Mrs. Pezz
    VIP September 2013
    Mrs. Pezz ·
    • Flag

I wore dresses, because I like dresses and think they look nice in formal pictures, kept them simple. We also tried to coordinate colors.

ETA: Be sure to wear something YOU are comfortable in!

• GettingHitched
    Super November 2013
    GettingHitched ·
    • Flag

I just asked my photographer this same question. She recommended we wear solid colors that look good together, but don't try to dress the same. For example, we are doing fall engagement pics outside and she said suggested we both wear jewel tones, but don't not the same color. perhaps me in dark purple and him in an emerald sweater. something like that. she said she hates when couples dress alike, especially with jeans and a white top. haha. I agree.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles