Katie
Devoted August 2019

What to ask: Officiant version

Katie, on January 16, 2019 at 10:17 AM Posted in Planning 0 6
Saved Save
Hi all!! FH and I are scheduled to meet with two potential officiants over the next couple days. and we have NO IDEA what questions to ask. We've been going with our gut as far as hiring vendors so far and going with the people that "feel right". Any tips??

6 Comments

• Madelyn
    Expert August 2019
    Madelyn ·
    Following because I’m lost on this too!!
  • Charlee
    Dedicated March 2019
    Charlee ·

Fortunately for me, one of my best friends is going to be our officiant, but I would definitely go with your gut. See what their body language, personality, and delivery are like. You guys should feel comfortable around this person. Are you going to be doing your own vows, or will the officiant read them for you. Do you want the officiant to be funny, religious, short & to the point? Ask about traditional things, like asking, "Who gives this woman?", ect. Do you want him or her to tell a short story about your relationship? I would ask if they conduct the whole show, or will you and your FH have input in how they conduct the ceremony. Think about weddings you've attended, been a part of, or even seen on TV or movies... I hope this helps. Best of Luck Katie!

• Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!! Gives me something to start thinking about!

We were going to go with a family friend and decided that we preferred a stranger, this was a good reminder of why we want that!
  • Rebecca
    Master October 2025
    Rebecca ·

Hello Katie!

WeddingWire has some awesome articles to help you two find the right officiant for your big day! Check them out:

Questions to Ask Wedding Officiants

6 Steps to Finding the Right Wedding Officiant for You

11 Questions a Wedding Officiant is Going to Ask You

• Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you, these are very helpful!
  • Rebecca
    Master October 2025
    Rebecca ·
    View Quoted Comment