Ms. Johnson
Just Said Yes June 2013

"What the dress says about you"?

Ms. Johnson, on October 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 9
Saved Save

I'm going to be making my own wedding dress with the help of my old fashioned mother. My mom has always made comments about how your wedding dress says a lot about you, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe she's right.

The scoop : I had a shot gun wedding when I was 16, good ol' fashion downtown on a tuesday while being 5months pregnant ordeal. Long story short, it didnt last (duh) and this is my chance to do things right. (very exciting)

The fairytale of a wedding says the bride wears an all white dress signifying purity. Well, I hate all white, and am obviously not pure. Id love to makea wedding dress with a solid black corset top, and a flowing white skirt. (possibly pleated, possibly fluffy? Unsure.) But mom's worried about what "others" will think. Basically, im thinking my wedding, my dress, right? But she throws out there, what will his family think? On my big day to finally do things my way with the man of my dreams, I dont know if I want people wondering why im not wearing all white.

What are your opinions? Should wedding dresses be kept under the old fashioned rules, or are we in a new era?

9 Comments

• Just Reenski
    Master December 2012
    Just Reenski ·
    • Flag

There was a bride on here who had a gorgeous purple dress that she further embellished with purple feathers. GORGEOUS. There was a bride in red, a bride in brown, and I believe we have a bride to be in black. If you want a black and white dress, I say go for it.

• D1
    Master October 2013
    D1 ·
    • Flag

I think you should have the dress you want! It if is black and white, so be it.

My dress is ivory and full of bling with a long train - very over the top, just like me!

• The Polka Dot Queen ©
    Master July 2012
    The Polka Dot Queen © ·
    • Flag

I think your mom is right, your wedding dress does say a lot about you.

What does a coloured wedding dress say? It says you are confident and can rock it. There a lot of brides who 'obviously' aren't pure and wear a dress white as snow, and then there are brides who may be pure but just want to wear something with colour, because that's the personality.

I say do what you want. Your mom is worried that your in-laws will think you're a harlot for wearing a black and white dress? Do your in-laws not know that you've been previously married and had a child? If they know, they're not going to think anything about you not wearing full white. And even if they don't, I think in this day and age a bride should be able to wear what they want, whatever reflects them!

So rock your coloured dress girl! And no, you're not a harlot.

• MistysoontobeBell
    Master October 2013
    MistysoontobeBell ·
    • Flag

Well, for me it does not matter what other poeple think. This is my dress

• Michele, my Belle
    Super December 2012
    Michele, my Belle ·
    • Flag

What do you want your dress to say about you to your family and family-to-be? Does your dress convey the impression you want to deliver? I think those are the only questions that matter. Oh yeah, and what is your FH's opinion?

• Legacy
    VIP June 2013
    Legacy ·
    • Flag

WHO CARES! I know it's your mom and his family you are considering but really when it's all said and done its your wedding (the two of you). They will not be there when you swipe your card and they will not be there when you look back a year later wishing you'd finally done it the want you wanted.

I have a serious problem when people say "you're not supposed to..." or "that's not proper etiquette..." or "traditionally..." Who says?!?! and again, who cares lol.

If he's ok without an all white gown...GO FOR IT!

• Just Reenski
    Master December 2012
    Just Reenski ·
    • Flag

@Misty -- you aren't going to order from DHGate, right? I hope you have seen all our warnings against the Chinese knock off sites...

• MistysoontobeBell
    Master October 2013
    MistysoontobeBell ·
    • Flag

@ Reenski - I have seen some of those post but I have not seen any about DHGate. Ok so what do I do now!? I have not found this dress any where else.

• Ms. Johnson
    Just Said Yes June 2013
    Ms. Johnson ·
    • Flag

All very good points ladies, I feel much better! I'm guna make the dress of MY dreams!! My FH loves the idea, we're not the most traditional people. <3 @Misty, I love it, i've usedthat exact dress for some inspiration! Heres a little bit of my inspiration.

Comment on this discussion