Jana
Savvy July 2019

What should i do with the wedding band?

Jana, on January 9, 2019 at 2:59 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 17
Saved Save

Hi Ladies, so how did/are you all going to attach your wedding band to your engagement ring?

I'm thinking of having mine soldered but I wanted to look into some different options...also, when are you actually supposed to attach it? Do you do it prior to the wedding so it's ready for the ceremony or do you have it done afterward?

Thank you!

17 Comments

• Devoted November 2019
    ·
    • Flag
    Hi Jana.
    I have no intentions of attaching my engagement ring to my wedding band. Honestly I didn’t even know it was a thing.
  • MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

I opted not to attach mine. I like the idea of being able to wear the band by itself if I want to. My mom uses clear nail polish to attach hers most of the time without making it permanent and it's never damaged the white gold over the 40+ years she's been doing it.

• Jana
    Savvy July 2019
    Jana ·
    • Flag

I did think about not attaching mine...but it has these little diamonds along half of the band and it would drive me CRAZY if it was wasn't lined up perfectly with my engagement ring all the time. Plus my engagement ring twists around on my finger constantly (I have a fat knuckle on a skinny finger) so I'm hoping that attaching the band will make it a little wider and less likely to twist around so much.

• Abby
    VIP March 2019
    Abby ·
    • Flag
    I'm most likely going to get mine soldered together sometime after the wedding! I wouldn't bother but my wedding band fits perfectly with my engagement ring but my ring twists sometimes and then it wouldn't match up anymore and I can just see that driving me crazy.
  • Kristin
    Devoted August 2020
    Kristin ·
    • Flag
    I'm planning on keeping mine separate too. Right now I never take my ring off but in a couple years (especially if I have babies in the future) I want to be able to just wear my band if needed for a certain duration. I'm always scared I'm going to cut someone or something with the ring! If you're set on attaching them though I would think keep them separate until after the wedding
  • Augusta
    Dedicated February 2020
    Augusta ·
    • Flag
    I’m not having my soldered until after the wedding that way he can place the wedding band on my finger while my engagement ring is already on it. Otherwise he’d need to place the set on. After tho, yes I will have them attached.
  • AtoZ
    Devoted May 2019
    AtoZ ·
    • Flag
    I am soldering mine! I have two bands, and they fit up underneath my engagement ring. It would be crazy trying to piece them together every day!
  • Laura
    Rockstar November 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    I have a set with two bands with tiny diamonds that are supposed to match up to my engagement ring. It’ll make me nuts to have them sliding this way and that way and not matching up, so I’ll most likely get mine soldered together. Probably after the wedding.
  • HayMrsO
    Master October 2018
    HayMrsO ·
    • Flag

I had mine soldered after the wedding. It was recommended by our jeweler. My bands are garland bands and he said if they are loose and rub on each other, it could cause diamonds to come loose and fall out. That was enough encouragement for me to have it done.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    • Flag
    I’m having mine soldered after the wedding. I don’t plan to ever wear my band by itself because it curves to fit my ering, and having them twisting and hitting each other constantly can damage the metal. I wouldn’t do it before the wedding because I’d like to have my engagement ring on while I’m getting ready and definitely wouldn’t wear my wedding band before the ceremony.
  • Megan
    VIP January 2019
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    I had mine soldered right before the wedding. My wedding band fits just inside of my engagement ring so wearing them for even a day or two without them being held together correctly would’ve made me crazy. And now I don’t have to go turn my beautiful ring back in! It was also so much easier for him to just place the whole thing on my finger rather than trying to figure out what to do with my engagement ring (doesn’t fit on my right hand). It worked great for me. I highly recommend soldering if you have diamonds along the band to keep the prongs from wearing down.

What should i do with the wedding band? 1
  • Rachel
    Super July 2019
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    Mine has designs on the sides so I’m definitely not soldering. I wouldn’t want to anyway because I like the look of two separate dainty rings rather than one big ring. Lots of people do it though. If it’s permanent I’d think about it for a while before deciding

What should i do with the wedding band? 2
  • Leah
    Dedicated September 2019
    Leah ·
    • Flag
    As others have mentioned, most jewelers recommend soldering together because it reduces wear and tear from the rings rubbing together and will help protect them. I work in insurance so definitely getting mine soldered but not until after the ceremony.
  • Ashley
    Dedicated May 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    Wow, I didn't know that was a thing! My engagement ring is a half size too big so I've been wearing a ring size adjuster... Maybe if I get the band the right size and attach them then they'll fit well. Woohoo!
  • Alicia
    Beginner June 2020
    Alicia ·
    • Flag

Wow, had no idea this was a thing. I have no intention of attaching mine, I'd like to be able to wear the wedding band separately.

• A
    Master October 2019
    Angelena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I had no clue soldering was a thing besides the typical engagement ring that sits inside the two sides of a wedding band. I don't plan on attaching mine because I want a super simplistic wedding band as my engagement ring has all the detail I need! It has details and a crown on the side too much like yours. Very pretty!

• Alexis
    Devoted December 2020
    Alexis ·
    • Flag
    I didn't intend to attach them, but I do have an absent-minded tendency, so that's probably my best bet to be honest.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics