Lafuturaseñora
Devoted April 2019

What do you think about this transition in timeline ?

Lafuturaseñora, on January 8, 2019 at 5:49 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 4
Saved Save
Hi y’all . I’m planning out my timeline right now and this is so confusing so here’s part of it. I’m trying to make it a smooth quick transition especially so we can get all of it photographed within time constraints.
so cocktail hour is going through 4:30pm (don’t worry, with hor deouvres etc) at 5pm we have our grand entrance and intros (I guess the DJ introduces us? Still not sure what that means) and go straight into our first dance. Right after first dance we will cut the cake. it’ll get taken back to be cut and served and ready for when dinner ends. Right after we cut the cake we will do dinner (served buffet) then people can have cake after and we will get right into father daughter, mother son dances.
i was thinking to do the cake after intros then first dance BUT I expect to have a face full of cake and this way while I’m cleaning myself off people can already be getting their food and/or dancing.

I think it might be a little non traditional as far as reception timelines but I tried to make it like efficient hahaha!

4 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

I would think it was odd for the cake to be cut before dinner is served, but if that's what works for you, then go with it.

• Ashley
    Dedicated June 2019
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

I agree, it might seem weird to guests. However, if you need more time for pictures, who cares!

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

What it means for the DJ to introduce you is your guests are seated in the reception venue before you and your husband get there. Then as you enter the reception venue the DJ will make a big announcement along the lines of "Everybody help me give a big welcome to Mr. John and Mrs. Jane Smith!" Then you and your husband happily enter the reception and all your guests clap. Often times the wedding party is also introduced. Most couples choose to have the DJ play fun, exciting music for this too.

With that being said, it doesn't make sense to do the cake cutting and then the introduction because then you would already be in the reception venue with your guests.

We personally decided not to do any introductions. But instead, we joined our guests for cocktail hour and walked in with them to be seated for dinner. We cut the cake immediately after dinner and had the staff place it at each place setting later while everyone was dancing. That way whoever wanted to take a break from dancing to eat it could and it was there for them at their place setting.

• Kelly
    Legend October 2022
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

Hey LaFutureSenora! I've actually heard of this timeline in certain venues where they don't have tables or spaces to store the cake through out the reception! I think if that is what will work for your timeline then go for it! I think the cake after the first dance sounds great!

Comment on this discussion