kathleen
Devoted December 2013

what are important photos

kathleen, on August 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM Posted in Planning 0 19
Saved Save

I'm trying to figure out what photos are most important to get. Is getting ready really important? I found a photographer and she is going to charge me $1,250 that's for 5 hrs which includes a free engagment shoot. We already have photos from our engagment. In order to stay in the budget of $1,000 I would get 4 hrs so what are important photos

19 Comments

• Nancy Taussig
    October 2019
    Nancy Taussig ·

I did not want photos of me getting ready. I do have a posed photo of my mom pretending to button the back of my dress.

Definitely get the family shots. Three or 4 generations in one photo is really nice to have. Photos of the guests (either by couple/family or by table).

Photos of decor (especially if you DIY) and flowers.

• Eleanor
    VIP October 2014
    Eleanor ·

I want photos of me getting ready but if I can only afford the photographer for a certain amount of time, those photos will be the first to go. I want the candid photos of me with my family, wp and guests the most.

• kathleen
    Devoted December 2013
    kathleen ·

I was thinking me alone. The bridal party with me, my groom by himself and him with his groomsman. My family with me and his family with him. Then I know I want to pictures with my brother's and my niece and nephew. The I want both our families and then with our friends. Is the bouquet toss necessary? And what about the garter toss?

• Shannon A
    Master May 2014
    Shannon A ·

We have our photogs for 8 hours. 2.5 from getting ready to start of ceremony, prob an 1.25 ceremony, 1.5 of driving time and pics, 3 hours of reception (don't need drunken sweaty dancing ppl pics for the last 2 hours. What is really important to me are FH's face when I walk in, vows, and our pics together. Everything else is important, just not on the same level

• MrsO
    Master May 2012
    MrsO ·

I liked having the photos of us getting ready because when I designed my album, I designed it from the absolute start of the day all the way through the last photos of the day. However will any of those photos ever get framed and displayed otherwise, no, and could I have done without them if budget was in issue, of course.

The most important photos for me were our bride and groom portraits and family portraits. I didn't even really care THAT much about bridal party photos. Also the ceremony and important reception events were obviously important too just for a remembrance of the day standpoint.

You could have them for the ceremony, time for portraits and then at the reception do all of your special dances, cake cutting and other events early so the photographer can catch them and leave. You don't need hours of reception photos of people dancing as they all look the same.

• kathleen
    Devoted December 2013
    kathleen ·

Great thank you

• E
    Devoted October 2013
    Elaine ·

Google wedding photography shot list to get an idea of which photos are impt and which isnt. I'll only have the photographer for 6 hours with no getting ready at the hotel pictures.

• Wendy  Montebello
    October 2019
    Wendy Montebello ·

It's good that your planning for this. I did not. The only picture I am missing is a picture of myself, husband, and daughter. Yep I did not get a single family shot! How I let that get by I will never know. He did ask but she was getting her diaper changed at the time by her babysitter. I figured I would get it done later.

• Jay Farrell
    October 2019
    Jay Farrell ·

Isn't what the photographer is supposed to help you figure out, based on your needs and their style? It's going to differ.....I'm a journalistic wedding photographer, and may have a different vision.....but in the end it's about the customer's needs. I generally like going after something like this in a 4 hour wedding.....now guest count and size of families, and multiple locations will determine if you booked enough time. Here is my take.

-Getting ready and makeup candids. Some sweet natural moments and opportunity to capture details and accessories. And it begins the story, otherwise you have this lavishly dressed bride and couple from out of nowhere, no progression....

-Candids of the bride and her party, when dressed....same w the groom and his party too. This way less wasted time after the ceremony having to get individual shots. Less guest waiting.

-Ceremony

-After ceremony, capture the greeting of them and guests, then take them off for more photos....continued

• Jay Farrell
    October 2019
    Jay Farrell ·

Together as a couple.....portrait and journalistic style, and use the best surroundings. Not just line them up wherever. This is why you hire someone good.

-Involve any family for interesting group shots, and some candid style with smaller groups and walking together etc.

-Reception with a great mix of candid and interaction w guests etc., dancing, etc.

Too many repetitive posed shots with family, adding people and many different group configurations.....BORING.

This should help you understand how different photographers are from one another. You have to make the plan with yours.

• kathleen
    Devoted December 2013
    kathleen ·

Jay I like your helpful information where r u located?

• Jay Farrell
    October 2019
    Jay Farrell ·

Nashville, TN. I am glad this is helpful....when I prepare to photograph a couple's wedding, and while I'm doing it, my goal isn't to capture everything and take a bunch of photos....it's to tell a story and have it all flow together, and capture genuine moods. I think in terms of the couple flipping through their album and seeing things they didn't remember, and being reminded of things they do....in an order that makes sense. Sadly, not all get an album, so then they don't get the full benefit of the storyline as I intended it....but they'll always have the ingredients to cook with.

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·

A friend mentioned she wished she had full-length photos of her in the dress. I could see this being easily forgotten.

• Jay Farrell
    October 2019
    Jay Farrell ·

Jesus....that would be like forgetting to cook the burger before placing it on the bun.

• kathleen
    Devoted December 2013
    kathleen ·

Jay where r u located

• Jay Farrell
    October 2019
    Jay Farrell ·

Nashville, TN.

• kathleen
    Devoted December 2013
    kathleen ·

Darn lol I'm in California

• Jay Farrell
    October 2019
    Jay Farrell ·

Ah! I love Nor Cal, so pretty there. Well I will give you a link to my blog, wedding related tips....find the headings for any articles that may help you....I don't know everything about wedding politics etc. but I can share what I observe, and how to get the most out of your photos and experience, etc. http://www.jayfarrellphotography.com/blog/category/bride-wedding-discussion/ Hope this helps!

• DesertBride
    Super November 2012
    DesertBride ·

We skipped getting ready photos and had our photographers leave the reception about an hour and a half before our reception ended. They had already captured the dances and cake cutting at that point so it would have been more random pictures of guests dancing, etc.

Comment on this discussion