Lizbeth
Devoted July 2019

Wedding time

Lizbeth, on March 5, 2019 at 7:35 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 27
Saved Save
What's the norm for wedding times.
Ceremony, cocktail and reception will be all held in the same location.
Our wedding is on a Wednesday , July 3rd so most people have off the next day.
We were thinking 6pm-12am we wanted it late so we can take pictures with some sunset or at night time with the city skyline behind us. But might be hard to do since the sun doesn't set so early in the summer.
What time are your weddings

27 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    • Flag
    I would definitely not expect people to stay until midnight for a weeknight wedding.

Our ceremony will begin at 4:30, that way we have an hour of daylight for pictures afterward. Cocktail hour 5-6, reception 6-10:30.
  • Lizbeth
    Devoted July 2019
    Lizbeth ·
    • Flag
    Yeah that's what I was thinking but I dont care much for day light pictures, we wanted night pictures
  • W
    Dedicated October 2019
    WeddingBliss ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is from 11 - 4 pm so I’m not much help. But a wedding before 4th of July sounds like so much fun - I feel like it almost commands sparklers usage!
  • Miluska
    Savvy May 2020
    Miluska ·
    • Flag
    I'm getting married on a Friday with the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception in the same place. Our ceremony is at 6pm, we wanted there to be some sunlight and since it will be in May that won't be an issue. The cocktail hour is from 630 to 730pm. The reception will be from 730pm until 1130pm.
  • Lizbeth
    Devoted July 2019
    Lizbeth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That sounds like a good time line.
    I think we may need to sneak out during the reception to take rooftop pictures at night time
  • Miluska
    Savvy May 2020
    Miluska ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yea I plan to take some breaks in between too. We were hoping to take some nice sunset photos as well so a short break shouldn't be an issue.
  • Lizbeth
    Devoted July 2019
    Lizbeth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I wasn't sure if couples did that during weddings but I'd love to if I can
  • Miluska
    Savvy May 2020
    Miluska ·
    • Flag
    Sometimes the couple takes photos right after the ceremony as cocktail hour begins. We plan to do that and just have someone grab us a plate of food. During the reception it may be a bit harder, but as long as nothing important is happening and everything is on schedule, I think a quick break should be fine.
  • Lizbeth
    Devoted July 2019
    Lizbeth ·
    • Flag
    We also plan on taking pictures during cocktail hour but it wont be dark by that time since it's in July, the sun is still pretty out there still. Night time rooftop pictures was one of the reasons we chose this venue 🤷‍♀️. I'll have to figure out a way to make it work
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I would just have your photographer pull you outside during sunset for a few pictures. Most weddings I've been to start between 3-6.

• Lizbeth
    Devoted July 2019
    Lizbeth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

What time do they normally end? i thought 12 was too late in general, but FH thinks its okay. I would hate for people to gradually leave throughout the wedding

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Usually they are 5 or 6 hours, so it depends on when they start. I don't think 12 is too late if people have the 4th off.

• Laura
    Savvy April 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    Saturday wedding-
    ceremony 4:30
    cocktail hour 5-6
    reception 6-11
  • Lauren
    Dedicated September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

Probably not much help here, but due to church rules, my ceremony starts at 2:30. Cocktails/Reception starts at 6:00PM and ending at 11PM. We are also having an after party at the hotel from 11:30PM - 3:00AM (I doubt I'll make most of that, haha). With a full ceremony, receiving line for 220 people and 30 min btw venues, I am hoping there is not too much down time. Really wanted a 5PM start time, but alas here I am. Good luck!

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think I like this timeline a little better. My biggest concern with OP's timeline is how late everyone will be eating dinner. If it were my crowd, they'd get hangry lol. If you want night time pictures you can always step away from the reception to take pictures instead of doing them right after the ceremony.

• Quinta Nikkole
    Dedicated May 2019
    Quinta Nikkole ·
    • Flag
    We are getting married at 2 PM. for two reasons, one anyone under 21 has to be out of the reception at 9pm andmy grandma does not do well walking once it gets dark.
  • Lizbeth
    Devoted July 2019
    Lizbeth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lol it sounds like a busy day for you! I wouldn't be able to make it to the after party
  • Lizbeth
    Devoted July 2019
    Lizbeth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's what I thought, people eating so late. Especially if they worked or skipped dinner.
    We do plan on having a full cocktail hour with variety of food

When do you think would be an ideal time to step out for pictures during the reception.
  • Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That would depend on what time sunset is. It's really up to you and your photographer. You could do it during dinner, after dinner, during dancing. Just be sure to be around when all of the things like speeches, designated dances, cake cutting, etc. are scheduled. Also, this would free y'all up to join your guests during cocktail hour so you won't be taking away from mingling with them later on.

• M
    Beginner July 2019
    MO123 ·
    • Flag

We're having a late afternoon wedding, but are sneaking out after supper before the dance to take a few sunset pictures with just the bride and groom. I feel like asking guests to stay until 12am on a weeknight is a lot, but it's tough when you can't start it until later as well being that it's a work day.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics