Brooke
Dedicated October 2020

Wedding time frame

Brooke, on December 28, 2018 at 10:22 AM Posted in Planning 0 91
Saved Save
How soon after your engagement did you plan your wedding? My fiancé wants to get married in 2019, but that'd be only 10 months to plan! I don't feel like that's enough time, I'd like to get married in 2020, 21 months away. What about you guys? How did you agree?

91 Comments

• Britt Brat
    Expert May 2019
    Britt Brat ·
    • Flag

Originally we were suppose to get married last July and we got engaged in October 2016, so we had 9 months to plan. Everything worked out well. But something came up and we had to cancel and reschedule altogether, but it is definitely doable!

• Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    • Flag
    We didnt want longer than a year engagement. We booked our venue 10 months out and are killing the planning game. 10 months is plenty of time. But if you're working towards paying for yourself, longer gives you more time to save up and make sure your funds are in order.
  • AtoZ
    Devoted May 2019
    AtoZ ·
    • Flag

We got engaged in August of 2017 and originally wanted a fall 2018 wedding, which would have been plenty of time. We decided to push it back until May of 2019 due to us purchasing our first home at the end of 2017. We booked our venue in October 2017 and our photographer November 2017, so we started pretty early! We are now coming to the end of our 18-month engagement and I'm glad we gave ourselves extra time!

• Talia
    Super October 2020
    Talia ·
    • Flag

Got engaged in August 2018, closed on our house at the end of August. We just wanted enough time to save some more money without worrying on how to pay for stuff. We just recently booked our venue. Going to get married October 10,2020.

• Gloria
    Super March 2019
    Gloria ·
    • Flag
    We got in engaged on February 2017 and we getting married March 2019 .within 10 months from our engagement I started looking for a venue and planning things
  • Ania
    Devoted February 2021
    Ania ·
    • Flag

Hello Brooke, we have a long engagement my fiancee proposed in March 2017 and our wedding is not until March 2020. Our original date was December 2019 but we had to move it this spring due to us building the house. I think it also depends on where you live when you should start booking your vendors. We live in FL so for us Oct to May weddings book pretty fast I booked our photographer and videographer last fall, they told me in season they are booked 1,5 -2 years out. I really wanted them so I booked them then. Soon after we started looking at the venues and we booked it this year in March, and then our officiant and DJ. We also had our engagement session done last December and next year spring we will have another one. Of course some people were laughing at me that I do stuff way too early but idc I rather enjoy the whole wedding planning then be stressed out and run out of time and all good vendors will be booked. In my opinion more time is always better because you can enjoy the whole experience more Smiley smile

• Nett
    Devoted January 2019
    Nett ·
    • Flag
    Immediately, we dated for 3+ years we were ready to just be married. Our engagement will be 10 months.
  • Mrs. Sarantos
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. Sarantos ·
    • Flag
    I wanted a short engagement but my fiancé wanted a long one. My engagement is 19 months and I started planning immediately. I had already put my vision together before we were engaged. My bff has an 11 month engagement and she could have done it if she had started right away but she procrastinated so much and now she is panicking.
  • Mary
    Dedicated October 2019
    Mary ·
    • Flag
    We got engaged November 11th of this year and are wedding is booked for October 26th, 2019. We started maybe a couple
    weeks after and set our date. So far we have our venue booked. Now it’s time
    to buckle down and start booking other vendors
  • Arkilia
    Super October 2020
    Arkilia ·
    • Flag
    My sister got married this past August and didn't start planning until January. It took her 2 months to find a venue because she wanted 8.18.18, she didn't get her date but she was still able to plan everything in 9 months... You can do this.
  • Kenisha
    Champion June 2019
    Kenisha ·
    • Flag
    I got engaged December 2017 & we’re getting married June 2019.
  • Megan
    Super May 2019
    Megan ·
    • Flag

We got engaged in August and are getting married in May, so 9 months. We are 30 and want to start a family soon, plus we've been together for a long time so I didn't want to wait another year. We wanted a spring or fall wedding and booked according to what was available with the venue we wanted. I'm a planner in general so it's not a big deal to me but you know yourself best. I will say that I would think the more time you have the more time you have to change your mind on things, potentially costing more money if you're purchasing things. I think the biggest question would be if you can find a venue at this point for 2019. I know that when we looked for 2019 dates back in August, our venue only had 4 Saturday dates available still, another place only had 1 Saturday date.

• EMILY
    Dedicated May 2019
    EMILY ·
    • Flag
    We technically got engaged in October 17 but didn't announce it or start planning until June 18. We're getting married in May 19, so about 11 months in total for planning time. I know people who have had short engagements and been happy and have really cool weddings or long engagements where they ultimately just wound eloping. 10 months is plenty of time. We're about 5 months out and things are only starting to pick up now for us.

Actually, my sister got engaged Memorial Day weekend in 2003 and got married Labor Day weekend. About 80 guests, beautiful mansion, awesome food, great music. One or my coworkers did similar over the summer, except she got engaged the same weekend we announced our engagement and got married mid August.
  • Lynn
    Dedicated August 2020
    Lynn ·
    • Flag
    I got engaged June 2018 & we are getting married August 2020 on my birthday!
  • Kim
    Devoted March 2019
    Kim ·
    • Flag
    We did 14 months
  • Abby
    VIP March 2019
    Abby ·
    • Flag
    We got engaged in June 2018 and are getting married in March 2019 so our engagement will be about 9 months total. I've seen a wedding planned in as little as 3 months though so 10 months is definitely doable! I couldn't imagine waiting almost 2 years to get married but whatever works for you two!
  • idosoon
    Devoted February 2020
    idosoon ·
    • Flag

Wait as long as you need to! there's no rhyme or reason to how you execute your marriage.

• Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·
    • Flag

That's plenty of time depending on the type of wedding you want. I was engaged in July, but we didn't start our planning in earnest until September. So about 6 1/2 months total for the wedding planning. Right now, we're right on time with all of our plans. For a shorter turn around you really need to be systematic and organized in your approach. I would heavily lean on one of those wedding checklists (just modify it for your timeline).

As per how we agreed... we had a few conversations pre-engagement, and one short one afterwards. We had initially agreed to wait for engagement until after I was done with grad school. He and I looked at each other and said "why wait? How about next year?" Then the only decision was the season. He wanted spring/fall. I said not fall because everything starts to get crazy in the fall. So spring it was!

• Kelly
    Just Said Yes February 2020
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

When we talked about marriage, our ideal date was in April 2019. But he proposed at the end of October. 6 months was definitely not enough (For me) ((especially with the holidays!!)) So we've taken these past 2 months to kind of just enjoy the season of engagement before diving into everything which has been great. There has definitely been talk about small details and figuring out a vision for our big day.

We now have a set date of February 2020.

So we will have a 16 month engagament

We live in Houston and weddings are pretty popular so I have been looking into vendors since about a month after being engaged. It's been easy to get in touch with our most wanted vendors since our date is so far out

• Alexandra
    VIP June 2019
    Alexandra ·
    • Flag

We got engaged in late May 2018 and will be getting married in early June 2019 - our engagement will be one year and six days! A one year timeline is absolutely doable, so I think 10 months would be fine as well. You might find that some vendors are already booked up, but you should be fine as long as you're flexible! Alternatively, 21 months is also a really nice timeframe Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion