J
Savvy April 2014

Wedding Party Dance?

jinjer, on March 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM Posted in Planning 0 14
Saved Save

So, in the worksheet the DJ gave me, there's an option for a Wedding Party Dance, just like there are options for a Mother/Son Dance, Father/Daughter Dance, etc. In the Wedding Party Dance, members of the wedding party are called up to dance with their spouses or whoever. I don't know whether I want it or not, but I'm leaning towards not.

Would a Wedding Party Dance make people who are not members of the wedding party feel kind of left out? There's enough glorification of the wedding party as it is, in my opinion. But then again, a Wedding Party Dance sounds like it might be kind of fun, and I like to think that guests will generally just be happy for everyone and everything and not think in terms of feeling left out.

14 Comments

• Fit Bride
    VIP August 2014
    Fit Bride ·
    • Flag

Nope! Awkward for everyone. Please don't torture your bridal party unless you hate them.

• Kate
    Master December 2013
    Kate ·
    • Flag

I have been to dozens of weddings and never ever one in real life. if you look at You Tube examples they're all super awkward

• J
    Savvy April 2014
    jinjer ·
    • Flag

Okay. I'm checking "No" for a Wedding Party Dance.

• Future Mrs. Poteet
    Expert July 2014
    Future Mrs. Poteet ·
    • Flag

At my sister's wedding the DJ did a soul train style wedding party dance and it was really entertaining. The wedding party is putting on a show at that point and it was awesome.

• BostonBride
    Super September 2015
    BostonBride ·
    • Flag

YEars ago, people would have their wedding party have a slow dance. It was quite akward (I.E. 16 year old female cousin of the bride dancing with 30 year old friend of the groom). This is definitely NOT happening at my wedding! I think it has gone the way of the receiving line!

• Julia Beth
    VIP July 2014
    Julia Beth ·
    • Flag

Omg, please don't and definitely don't make them dance with each other. I was in a wedding where the as (as the bridesmaids) had to dance with whichever groomsmen was our "partner" and oh my goodness was it awkward.

• C + R
    Master November 2014
    C + R ·
    • Flag

I've never been to a wedding where a bridal party dance is NOT done. I guess it's a tradition in my area, but I've always found them super-awkward. It's the thing I dread the most about being in a wedding. I'm pretty certain we won't have one, unless FH is (for some reason) set on having one.

• Crystal
    Super June 2014
    Crystal ·
    • Flag

My bff had it at her wedding years ago and it was so awkward. The GM wife gave me the evil eye the whole time. When I told her I wasn't having it, her response was "good, they're so awkward." Uh, why did you make me do it?

• Ashley
    VIP September 2014
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

No I would not put my wedding party through this.

• Shannon S.
    Master March 2011
    Shannon S. ·
    • Flag

No. Awkward, and tests the patience of your guests. After a certain point, they're over sitting through the performance stuff and want to party.

• MissKelly
    Expert September 2014
    MissKelly ·
    • Flag

My friends did a wedding party dance, but it was wedding party only, no significant others. So I danced with a groomsman who I didn't really know. It felt super awkward.

• J
    Savvy April 2014
    jinjer ·
    • Flag

So I am starting to think that the wedding party dance is awkward.

• K
    Just Said Yes October 2014
    kkmmwedding ·
    • Flag

We're doing a wedding party dance, but not an awkward slow dance. All of our music is Movie-themed, so we're doing the Time Warp as the dance and asking the rest of the guests to join halfway through.

• TheWeddingMIle
    Dedicated March 2020
    TheWeddingMIle ·
    • Flag

At most, host a couple's dance interval, where spouses and people in long term, established relationships can dance with each other, then have all the other dance events be group-oriented.

Dance party event where participants feel obligated to 'pair up' with each other are, as many here have pointed out, agonizing.

Comment on this discussion