Suzie_Cue
VIP August 2018

Wedding license

Suzie_Cue, on May 22, 2016 at 12:27 PM Posted in Planning 0 9
Saved Save

Hello everyone. I now know that we have to get a wedding license from a court prior to our wedding day. I live in CA.I know its only valid for 30 days. Originally we wanted to marry 8/18/18 (FH and I both have an obsession eith the number 8), but do to some expenses we forsee that year we moved it up to 8/12/17. Is there a way to go to the courthouse get the license and use that day on our wedding certificate? What I mean is, on 8/8/17 we will go to the courthouse to get the needed paperwork, but our "Wedding date" is not until 4 days later. I would like to have 8/8/17 be our official wedding date since it has 8s so that we can atleast have something closer to what we originally wanted. Can this be done? Please advise. Sorry for any confusion. Thanks!

9 Comments

• Uny Bride
    Super June 2016
    Uny Bride ·

Yeah I am a bit confused. The license is valid for 30 days...the license can be obtained 8/8/17 and married on 8/12/17...but your marriage certificate will be for 8/12 since that will be the day of your legal marriage. Not sure what you are confused about, and in Ca, each county has different times the licenses are valid. I'm in Riverside County an ours is good for 90 days.

• Kimi
    Master August 2016
    Kimi ·

No, your officiant will sign the date that the ceremony is actually performed and you are declared legally married. You could get married at the courthouse on the day you want and have the celebration at a later date. Just don't lie to your guests and have them think they are witnessing your actual ceremony.

• Danielle
    VIP October 2015
    Danielle ·

I don't really feel like it's a big deal to have whatever date you "like" on it. If you want it to say that date, then that's the date you should get married. Honestly, though, I haven't even looked at my marriage certificate since I used it to change my name. Mine even has the wrong location of where we got married, but it's just a piece of paper.

• Mrs.T_618
    VIP June 2016
    Mrs.T_618 ·

They're also good for 90 days in LA County. The date you get married is the date you get married. So like Kimi said you could have a civil ceremony on that day to actually get married?

• colombiana_ac
    Expert August 2016
    colombiana_ac ·

I don't believe that's possible. You become legally married on the day your officiant signs the license. You could get married at the court on 8/8 and then have the reception on 8/12 but I wouldn't do a ceremony on 8/12 in that case

• Nancy Taussig
    November 2019
    Nancy Taussig ·

I don't know about Cal. licenses, but in Florida the license shows 3 dates:

Date issued

Date effective (3 days later for FL residents, same as issued date for non-residents)

Date expires (60 days after issued date)

So, maybe your license can show the issue date (only) as 8/8/17.

• Celia Milton
    November 2019
    Celia Milton ·

You're married when I say you are. And then I sign the license.

• NowASeptMrs
    Master September 2015
    NowASeptMrs ·

No the license is just that, the paper work. The wedding day is the day of the official ceremony and the day the officiant will sign it and send it back. It will be recorded as the actual you got married

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·

The date of the marriage license has nothing to do with when you get legally married. Either you have a ceremony on 8/8 (maybe a courthouse ceremony), or you just get legally married on 8/12. But in any event a courthouse ceremony is a wedding--anything after you are legally married is not. So if you want your wedding date to be 8/8, just have the wedding that day.

Comment on this discussion