Morgan
Just Said Yes October 2020

Wedding is nearly 2 years away, how soon is too soon to plan?

Morgan, on January 29, 2019 at 2:46 PM Posted in Planning 0 21
Saved Save

I am newly engaged and being the over planner I am, I have already started some basic planning for our wedding. We are looking at an October 2020 date. Many of my friends have already started trying to help me plan, which is great, but some of them have said that I should wait to start even thinking about planning. We are not spending any money on anything yet, except maybe depositing on a venue, so I don't see the harm in the wedding binder and wedding wire planning I have begun. So my question is how soon is too soon to start planning? Should I wait to start planning our wedding, or should I be doing more since we are in the early stages of planning?

21 Comments

• Monica
    Devoted July 2020
    Monica
    • Flag
    Getting a venue selected early is smart.

We got engaged on 10/20/2018 and just sent in a deposit check and contract for the venue today in fact - for our 7/25/2020 wedding. 馃槏

Other than this I have started to conceptualize and plan things out roughly in terms of likes/dislikes but won鈥檛 look to start to book any other vendors or buy anything until a year out or so.
  • Amanda
    Master December 2020
    Amanda
    • Flag
    I would definately be planning! You can start whenever you want! The more tome you have the less stressful it can be time of and you can take breaks if you get too strained. I am doing the same thing, hoping for Jan 2020 but haven't set it yet. Do remember though with the time frame that you may change your choices. I changed my wedding plans 3 times before setting my mind with what we are going to do. Doing things that will never change will be good and you have time to do lots of research!
  • K
    Just Said Yes June 2019
    Kaylee
    • Flag
    I will be engaged for two years by the time we get married. We set that date that far away because we had some other goals we wanted to reach first. We wanted to save some money in order to have the wedding we wanted and I wanted my wedding planning adventure to be completely stress free (or as much as possible anyway). I started planning the little things right away. I don鈥檛 think there is such a thing as too early. It honestly helped for me to be able to spend a little here and a little there rather than to do it all at once. Especially since October dates are pretty popular for you! I think it would be good to start on some of the smaller things, especially if you鈥檙e doing any DIY projects like I am.
  • Tara
    Master May 2020
    Tara
    • Flag
    It depends on how big, how expensive yourcwedding is and what kind of venue you want if it鈥檚 in high demand. I personally like the thought of enjoying my engagement for at least 6 months before I jump into planning.
  • Talia
    Super October 2020
    Talia
    • Flag

I would get on it asap. Especially with your date I saw in your profile. We're date twins btw!! We put down a deposit on our venue. She said it was a very popular date. I made my self a binder with a planner, dividers and some notebook paper. It's going to go by quick. Especially the good vendors. Me and my FH are cracking down on the rest of our vendors now since we have our venue. We've been engaged since August if that helps any.

• Victoria
    Super May 2019
    Victoria
    • Flag
    We started looking into things about a year and a half away. We booked our hotel a year in advance, but a lot of other vendors told us they usually don鈥檛 book that early.
  • Colleen
    Savvy October 2020
    Colleen
    • Flag

I definitely don't think it's too early to start, if you're ready!! We booked our venue for October 2020 at the end of October 2018...and the date you have on your profile was already booked, so we had to pick another weekend!! I just recently started contacting photographers and DJs. While they commented that it was a little early, they both said it was a good thing for us, as well as them. This may be different for you, depending on your area, but in Central NY, venues and vendors seem to book up very quickly. I say if you're ready to start planning, do what you can!

• Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra
    • Flag
    I would definitely book your venue first and foremost. A lot of the other planning can't be done until that is secure anyway. Theres no rush to start planning much else
  • Cierra
    Dedicated October 2020
    Cierra
    • Flag
    I got engaged on Christmas Day of 2018, and have already booked my Venue for both ceremony and reception, as well as have a DJ and Photographer drawing up contracts for our wedding (which we already set a date for) October 24th, 2020. Never too early!
  • Tina
    March 2020
    Tina
    • Flag

Another good reason to plan and book early is many vendors raise their prices at the beginning of the year. If you book now you will be guaranteed the 2019 price.

I'm a crazy planning person and started immediately getting everything lined up, organised, and pinned on my pinterest boards!

• Katelyn
    Devoted May 2017
    Katelyn
    • Flag

I think you're fine to book a venue, but other than that I think it's too early for most everything else. It's way too early to ask your BP, finalize your guest list, send STDs, shop for a wedding dress, find a florist, plan decorations, buying or designing invitations, cake decisions etc. Ask BP no more than 1 year in advance and dress shop 6-8 months out. Dress shop for a wedding dress up to one year in advance and order as much as 9-10 months out. Doing everything early does not always relieve stress and esp. if you ask your BP too soon or dress shop too soon, it can cause way more heartache and stress when those relationships change, your body weight fluctuates, your vision changes, etc. You can book a photographer, DJ and caterer now, but you really don't need to (plenty will still be available next winter) and changes can happen there too. The company could go out of business, you might find someone you like better or at a better price, etc. I think it's absolutely too early for most wedding planning.

• Christina
    October 2020
    Christina
    • Flag

It is never to early to plan!! We are getting marring October 2020 as well and our venue said if we would have waited any longer they would have been booked solid for October 2020 weddings!

Honestly though, if you get it all done now then it means less stress when your big day arrives!

• Sarah
    Dedicated October 2020
    Sarah
    • Flag
    Oh my goodness do not listen to those negative nancies. I鈥檓 getting married 10/24/20 and we just put down the deposit for our venue and I鈥檝e already proposed to all my bridesmaids. We have a preliminary guest list. Color scheme chosen. Venue, photographer, and dj are all super important to book early - at least 12-18 months out. My venue typically books popular months (like October) 18-24 months out. Weddingwires timeline is pretty good for a lot of the other things, but in general, earlier is better than later. Planning a wedding is exciting and fun! Don鈥檛 let anyone tell you that you can鈥檛 enjoy it Smiley smile
  • Faith
    Dedicated April 2019
    Faith
    • Flag
    I swear it's never too early to start with planning, there is soon much too do and sooner than you know it will be right there.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD
    • Flag

I think you are fine to start planning now! Especially things like setting a max budget, starting your guest list or desired guest count, and touring venues. Our entire engagement will be 19 months long and planning has been really easy for me. We've had so much time, nothing is rushed & we can really see all our options.

• Tara
    Master May 2020
    Tara
    • Flag
    Also, you need to make sure you鈥檙e more focused on the next chapter of marriage rather than the wedding, even though it鈥檚 so exciting. Just passing along advice I鈥檝e been given from former brides.
  • Ashley
    Devoted October 2020
    Ashley
    • Flag
    Ive been engaged for just about 5 months now, and our wedding is also in October of 2020. I literally have just about everything booked... and that was by early December. Lol I鈥檓 talking Venue w/ catering and bar, photographer, videographer, dj, officiant, and cake lady. I鈥檓 WAY ahead of schedule, but I also don鈥檛 feel stressed at all. 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檧锔 More or less costing at this point lol I said I was just going to book the venue, then chill for like a year, but I had so many people telling me about the good vendors getting booked early. 馃槺

I鈥檇 recommend approx guest list, and budget, followed by venue. Most importantly, go at your own pace. 馃槉
  • Mercedes
    Savvy July 2019
    Mercedes
    • Flag
    I feel like it's never too early to start planning and having an idea of what you want. I got engaged 4/22/17 and getting married 7/4/2019. I booked the venue in june (2017) lol. Honestly, I'm so glad weve had a lengthy engagement because we also got to enjoy it. Way less pressure.
  • Alyssa
    Beginner April 2023
    Alyssa
    • Flag
    My fiance and I are planning on getting married in 2023 and are already planning through some basics, no harm in starting early to make sure your big day is perfect. Somebody on here isn't getting married until 2025 and is still planning
  • Candace
    Dedicated October 2021
    Candace
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Agreed. Know yourself, and know your friends. My friends and I are all busy, but can get together tomorrow and our relationship is strong. I have no doubt in my mind these 2 girls are in my bridal party, and couldn't imagine waiting until 6 months before to ask them - if they can be there throughout my planning process they will! And I am not willing to give up my chosen venue or season so i am planning to book this year, 2 years in advance. Choose your budget and major priorities and go from there! I just caution you about buying things, especially decor because tastes do change (but that is a part of knowing yourself, and whether you can live with your decisions)

Comment on this discussion