Felicia
Dedicated September 2021

Wedding day photography

Felicia, on September 20, 2021 at 1:17 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 1 19
Saved
Hi Ladies,

I’m 4 days out (09.25.2021) and just got some bad news from my venue.
Venue is on a college campus, so we imagined we could take pictures on the pretty parts of the campus since the brochure did not mention this isn’t allowed. We found out today we can only take pictures on the campus with a permit, that takes TWO WEEKS MINIMUM. While it is our fault for not asking if there was a policy, it is also the venue’s fault for not explicitly stating in their contract that while they are on a college campus, they are not affiliated with the campus. Had this been stated we would have asked.
The main reason we picked this venue is because of the photo ops on the campus, and now requiring a permit (that takes two weeks and isn’t guaranteed even if they rush it) 4 days out seems unfair.
If you were in my shoes would you try to get the photos anyway without permit and just play dumb? Or skip those photos all together?
Thanks in advance!

19 Comments

Latest activity by Katelyn, on October 12, 2021 at 10:53 PM
  • Cece
    Rockstar November 2022
    Cece ·
    • Flag
    I know everybody is probably going to say to play by the rules…. but if I am being completely honest, if I were in your situation, I would probably just do the pictures. I would certainly apply for the rushed permit and try to speak to somebody directly about it. I think it’s hard to deny a friendly, polite (but desperate) bride when you actually speak to them, as opposed to just pushing papers/emails. But, if the rushed permit did not come through in time, I would probably just do the photos and play dumb. But that’s just me! When I have my heart set on something, I don’t take no for an answer.
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I honestly would try to rush the permit. If it didn't arrive in time, I think I would still take the photos, and ask the photographer to not post them on social media until the permit gets approved.
  • S
    Expert September 2022
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

Sooooo I would probably risk it and just take the photos anyways, HOWEVER I'm not sure if there is some sort of liability and if your photographer could get in trouble if you did this. I would be more concerned about that than anything else. So you could either talk to your photographer beforehand and see what they say, however you do this then they actually know about the permit and may just say no, or you could just not tell your photographer, risk it, and take the fall if anything happens. I'm so sorry you have such a tough decision to make so close to your day. I hope you can figure it out

• Ariel
    Devoted October 2021
    Ariel ·
    • Flag
    I’d play dumb! Where we took engagement photos required a permit. We didn’t have one but no one asked. I think you’ll be okay. Just be prepared that your photoshoot might be interrupted.
  • Melinda
    Devoted March 2022
    Melinda ·
    • Flag

I'd make sure to take the ones that are not permitted first in case you get caught! If you do just play dumb, like you had no idea, apologize, and move to an approved location.
    I don't think I would try to rush a permit though if you are going to do this because if you get caught its proof that you already knew it was a no- no.

• Mrs.a
    Master October 2021
    Mrs.a ·
    • Flag

I would beg for a permit and yet just go for it!

tenor.gif

• Courtney
    Dedicated July 2021
    Courtney ·
    • Flag
    Granted I got married in a National park and the permit process took months but on the day of our wedding there was a park ranger there for the entirety of our wedding ceremony “hour” to be sure the number of cars, people and our behavior were in line with what was required on the permit and the checked it thoroughly right when we arrived. Thank goodness we followed the rules to a T.

I would try to rush the permit, but if unsuccessful I’d go somewhere else to take pictures. Not worth a fine or a damper on your day. Who wants that stress/worry on your wedding day? I’d be mad no one told me about this in advance. Sorry you’re in this crappy position.
  • Cool
    Super July 2020
    Cool ·
    • Flag
    I’d just go for it. Prioritize your locations in case you’re told to stop but otherwise, just do it.
  • Janae
    Devoted September 2021
    Janae ·
    • Flag

I would sooo play dumb. What human being is going to confront a bride & groom and ask them to leave??

• V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    So we had our engagement photos taken at state park where we got engaged and when we got there they told us we needed a permit. My mother-in-law had worked at this park for 19 years so she knew the person and was with us when we got the photos taken so she convinced them to let us still have them taken. Why she didn't tell us about the permit requirement I have no idea so ce I would have thought she would have known from working there. My advice would be to try to get rushed permit and if you can't then find a different place close to the college to have your photos taken.
  • Samantha
    Rockstar May 2022
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

Just do the pictures. No one is going to approach you and demand to see your permit lol

• Jay
    Devoted September 2021
    Jay ·
    • Flag
    As someone who has been called out for not having a permit when taking a photo of a friend at a historic building…I wouldn’t risk it. It was super embarrassing & made it hard to enjoy this building we had gone out to see. We were in high school, in plain clothes, and tons of other people were taking similar photos—the only difference was that I had a “professional” camera. If you’re in wedding attire you’ll be even more obvious, & you should assume the school may be very aware of what permits have been issued. Go for the rush permit, but start looking at backup options.
  • Felicia
    Dedicated September 2021
    Felicia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks ladies.

I was willing to stand firm on my decision and not get the permit on principle. There’s absolutely no reason why this shouldnt have been mentioned to us sooner. In emailing with the venue yesterday it was extremely disheartening to see how unorganized they were a few days before the wedding and extremely frustrating considering we just finished paying off our balance. 😔 nightmare of a venue. FH saw my distress and reached out to the venue separately for the rush permit which “miraculously” was approved in less than 20 min.
    It feels like a total cash grab, but at least I’ll have my pictures!
    Thanks ladies!
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Glad to hear you were able to get the permit!
  • Jay
    Devoted September 2021
    Jay ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yay! I am so relieved that worked out. I should have said that--I do agree that was super not cool of them. If that's what they want, they really need to be up front about it & not cause undue stress. I hope you post the photos!

• CountryBride
    VIP April 2022
    CountryBride ·
    • Flag

I would play dumb

• Courtney
    Dedicated July 2021
    Courtney ·
    • Flag
    Great news! You can rest easy now!
  • Mrs.a
    Master October 2021
    Mrs.a ·
    • Flag
    Exciting! 😊
  • Katelyn
    Dedicated October 2021
    Katelyn ·
    • Flag
    100% honest, I would get as many photos as you could around the campus & if someone says anything, play dumb. Nothing was in the contract, so how were you supposed to know?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics