We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

D
Just Said Yes November 2014

Wedding day makeup

Danielle, on October 2, 2014 at 4:06 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 17
Saved Save

I am getting married on November 1st about 4 and a half hours away from home. My mom and I went away for the weekend to the city we are getting married to take care of last minute wedding stuff a couple of weeks ago. While we were there, I had my makeup trial...and THANK GOD I DID, because it turned out HORRIBLE. Has anyone else had this problem?? Did you choose to do your own or try to hire another artist? I am running out of time and can't go back up for another trial prior to my wedding.

Thoughts??!?

17 Comments

• Uber Dami
    Master October 2015
    Uber Dami ·
    • Flag

Id say at this point, do your own make up, you know how you look good and feel confident, so it'll automatically take any anxiety of someone else doing it and perhaps messing it up on you away.

• Ally
    VIP October 2014
    Ally ·
    • Flag

I'm sorry that that happened :/ that's not a good feeling.

do you have a picture? i'm always curious what people think looks horrible lol

• Sarah L.
    Savvy May 2015
    Sarah L. ·
    • Flag

I am probably going to do my own. I will just buy really nice makeup! That way, I will feel really confident still, AND I get to keep the makeup! Smiley smile

• AndixLyn
    Master June 2015
    AndixLyn ·
    • Flag

I planned to do my own hair & makeup, but one of my gfs is super talented and asked if she could handle it for me.

• Joanne
    Expert March 2015
    Joanne ·
    • Flag

Do your own. You can pick up some really great ideas and techniques on youtube. Plus, you can do your own make-up trial as much as you want until you get it right.

• MissJessica
    VIP August 2015
    MissJessica ·
    • Flag

Thank goodness you had a trial! If you can't go for another one I'd either bring really specific directions or try doing it on your own. You don't want to spend all of that time getting a ton of makeup done and then hating it. Was it something easy to fix like just the eyes being too dramatic or too much on the face, or something that can't be fixed easily with direction?

• C + R
    Master November 2014
    C + R ·
    • Flag

I had TWO trials and wasn't super happy with either of them. Going to the salon was also going to require me to leave my house by 7:00 am the morning of the wedding to get my makeup done, and my ceremony wasn't until 3:15. I just decided last week that I was going to do my own. I made a Pinterest board of products & tutorials that I'll need, and I'm planning to buy a bunch of new stuff. I will be spending over $100 on products (that includes using some stuff I will already have), but at least I'll get to keep it to use after the wedding.

• J
    VIP June 2015
    JHazel ·
    • Flag

If you decide to do your own you could always go to Senora (or any other makeup booth) for tips. A lot of them do free makeup trials (to try to get you to purchase their products), but you might pickup some good tips.

• J
    VIP June 2015
    JHazel ·
    • Flag

And look for reviews before you hire someone else. The number of reviews makes a difference too.

• Rebecca
    VIP June 2015
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

Agree with JHazel - head to Sephora, tell them you are going to DIY makeup for your wedding, tell them what *didn't* work for you in the original trial, and then after they make you up, take it all off and *do it yourself there*, so you can prove you can do it. You'll have to buy the makeup, but you'll have confidence that you can do it, and you won't be paying for someone to come on the day-of.

A friend of mine had a friend who worked for M.A.C. do hers, and she didn't do a trial, and she cried when she saw the photos later because she looked 'like a drag queen'.... nothing wrong with drag, but it's not a good wedding day look! Just keep in mind that you've avoided a problem, not created one - you would've been so unhappy if you hated your makeup on the day... You can do this!

• Emily & Rob
    Dedicated November 2015
    Emily & Rob ·
    • Flag

Do you have a friend, BM or guest that is good with make up that could do it for you? My bridesmaid offered to do mine for me if I hate my trial...

• A
    Just Said Yes September 2015
    Alice Kane ·
    • Flag

Hey...I am sure that you must be excited too much for your wedding and there not many days left and hope you have done your preparations for that day. As concern as wedding day make-up, it's better to book for a service from a top wedding make-up expert as soon as possible to avoid any hassle at the last moment.

Also, follow Kalfin Jewellery for any help regarding jewellery and wedding rings at-

http://instagram.com/kalfinjewellery

• Snarky
    Master September 2014
    Snarky ·
    • Flag

Pics or it didn't happen lol

I had a horrible first makeup trial too. I told the artist I was going in a different direction with my makeup and hired a new one.

• GrayCatVintage
    Master October 2015
    GrayCatVintage ·
    • Flag

I decided I do not want someone else doing my makeup because I already go pretty heavy on the eyes as it is. I do think I will go to a place like Ulta or Sephora and ask about foundation because I have combination skin and I use cheap drugstore foundation day to day.

• Kaegurl
    Master June 2014
    Kaegurl ·
    • Flag

I didn't like my first trial so I found a new MUA. To me it's worth it to find someone. I did my own make-up for bridals and it did not look or feel as good as my professional make-up.

• M
    Master December 2014
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

I've had 3 horrible makeup trials. I'm actually having my 4th tomorrow with a 3rd MUA but in all honesty if it comes out bad, I'm just going to do it myself. If you are comfortable doing your own makeup, I would definitely say to do it.

• Sarah
    Master October 2014
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

We live 3 hours away from where we are getting married, so I am in the same boat. I am going to do my own and I think it'll be just fine.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles