Andrea
Dedicated June 2017

Wedding Cake Flavors!

Andrea, on September 22, 2016 at 3:43 PM Posted in Planning 0 24
Saved Save

I am setting up some wedding cake consultations and we get to pick out 3 different flavor combinations to try for one bakery, but of course am a horrible decision maker. I love to have things that are different, but I don't want to waste my money getting something that is too out there. I'm curious to know what are some of the best wedding cake flavor combinations you have tried or what flavors have you decided for your own cake(s)?

24 Comments

• A. L.
    Master July 2017
    A. L. ·
    • Flag

Ours is pistachio, ricotta & white chocolate

• Samantha
    VIP June 2017
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

Oh man... I'd want to try them all!!! We are going to be doing the mini cheesecakes pictured in 6 flavors so we are covering a wide variety. For a cake though, I'm a sucker for chocolate or red velvet, although I love pineapple and seeing that as a filling I would definitely want to try that with maybe a French vanilla cake! (Or even chocolate!)

• jill
    Devoted October 2017
    jill ·
    • Flag

I would do one of them in a basic flavor that most people like, white with raspberry or cream cheese, then for the other two do something fun! I'm a sucker for coconut so the toasted coconut with bavarian would be my first choice!

• FutureMrsBueno
    Super April 2017
    FutureMrsBueno ·
    • Flag

Omg the best we tried will be our biggest layer. White amaretto raspberry swirl cake with a Bavarian cream and raspberry filling. I'm so excited to eat that cake! The middle layer is marble with chocolate buttercream filling and the top is coconut with coconut cream filling. All soooo good!

• Z
    Master May 2012
    Zoe ·
    • Flag

I think Jill has the right idea (except maybe about the coconut....). DH and I did the biggest layer in chocolate cake with mocha filling, the middle in classic white-cake-with-fruit for everyone else (NOT one of my faves) and the top in mik chocolate with dark chocolate filling. If I'd realized we were going to keep the top, I would have made that the mocha/dark chocolate, cause I don't like milk chocolate, so keep that in mind, too. If you're just serving it all and buying another cake for your anniversary, it doesn't matter.

• Sarah
    Super April 2017
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

My sister works at a bakery and they make this "champagne peach" cupcake that I am in love with. Sooo yummy. I'm going to ask if they can make one of the tiers of my cake, that flavor. The other 2 will probably be more basic so that everyone gets something they like.

• Lauren17
    Master July 2017
    Lauren17 ·
    • Flag

We go in Jan for our cake tasting but we looked at the bakeries website and i think the 3 combos we are leaning towards are :

Vanilla Sponge & Banana Mousse

Chocolate cake & Peanut Butter Mousse

Red Velvet & Cream Cheese

• BlueHenBride
    Master March 2017
    BlueHenBride ·
    • Flag

I'd try the raspberry preserves with Bavarian cream filling. It's kind of similar to what were doing for one of our two cake flavors.

We chose for two of our tiers a lemon pound cake with raspberry marmalade and white chocolate mousse fillings. The other two tiers will be marble cake with two layers of the white chocolate mousse filling so guests will have a choice between fruity awesomeness and not fruity.

• Lindsey
    Super June 2017
    Lindsey ·
    • Flag

Sorry, not help helpful but this really made me crave cake.

• Gracie
    VIP June 2017
    Gracie ·
    • Flag

Since you're having a summer wedding I would suggest something fruity maybe like the lemon with raspberry preserves or white almond with lemon or strawberry. Or white or chocolate cake with strawberry preserves.

• Michelle W.
    Expert November 2016
    Michelle W. ·
    • Flag

We are having a marble with chocolate fudge filling, red velvet with butter cream filling, and banana and I don't remember what filling we ordered.

• BeachBride2016
    Master November 2016
    BeachBride2016 ·
    • Flag

Our top tier is vanilla cake with peanut butter filling, the middle tier is lemon cake with vanilla buttercream and raspberry puree and the bottom tier is chocolate cake with mocha filling. Vanilla buttercream will cover the entire outside. YUM!

• OG Ruth
    Master October 2015
    OG Ruth ·
    • Flag

Our cake was chocolate and red velvet with vanilla buttercream and fresh raspberries for the filling. My friend's wedding cake was delicious. They had white cake with a salted caramel filling. I ended up booking her baker based on how amazing her cake was!

• MEGAN
    Expert October 2016
    MEGAN ·
    • Flag

We have dark chocolate and French vanilla marbled with espresso buttercream for the bottom layer. Our middle layer is rum cake with vanilla buttercream. The layer for later is the dark chocolate and rum cake marbled with the espresso buttercream...

• LB
    Champion November 2016
    LB ·
    • Flag

Ours is a s'mores cake. Graham cracker pound cake with burnt marshmallow filling and chocolate ganache.

• Carla
    Expert September 2016
    Carla ·
    • Flag

Our was white cake with strawberry sheet cake filling. To die for, our cake was one layer because we only have 12 guest everyone have a piece twice and my DH three times :-)

• ShannonLynne
    Dedicated September 2016
    ShannonLynne ·
    • Flag

Our largest layer is marble with raspberry filling, middle is red velvet with cream cheese filling and top layer is pumpkin with cream cheese filling.

• Michele
    Expert November 2016
    Michele ·
    • Flag

Ours will be a 2-tier, one tier vanilla cake, the other chocolate. Both with a cannoli filling. Mm!

• Andrea
    Dedicated June 2017
    Andrea ·
    • Flag

Thank you everyone!

• MBstew
    Super October 2016
    MBstew ·
    • Flag

Pumpkin w/ cream cheese butter cream hybrid filling, German choc and coconut pecan filling, lemon blueberry w/ creamcheese buttercream filling for us

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics